Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad CPU Mark with i5 2500k?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Either the test went wonky or the CPU failed to kick up out of active idle or for some reason the test only ran on one core (thus only 1/4 of the score). What else were you running at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Just steam and zone alarm.

I have some feeling its got to do with bad ram timmings? Because I also get windows 7 randomly freezing and will not respond to ANY input. Even the caps light wont respond when it happens! Temps are fine so no prob there.

Some specs may help
    ================

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    i5 250k @ 4.2 GHz (OC genie untill I get a the freezing sorted)
    MSI P67a GD-55
    ASUS 6970 2GB
    4 GB DDR3 (2 x 2 GB) OCZ 1333 MHz CL7 1.65V in Dual Channel
    Segate & WD in RAID0
    XPS 750W
    ===================

Another strange thing you may be able to help with Solitaire, is when I add an additional stick of ram. 1 GB Crucial Ballistix Identical timmings/freq and voltage as the ocz, AND OC genie is ON, the rig will keep failing to boot. It boots for about 5 seconds then "Clicks" off dead, then trys again.

Argh. :mad: Never had troubles with mah AMDies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

I just ran the test on my i7 920 @ the 950 speed of 3.07ghz and got about 2400 of the 6k+ average so i'd be a bit weary of there results.
    I would say your score is off but not by as much as you think.

I wouldnt add that 1gig stick of ram as your running dual channel so if you add the 3rd stick it actually would run slower imo (ofc thats if it booted).
    Generally its not a good idea to mix and match ram as mobos can be fussy about it.SB being fussy about ram anyway is not going to help.

Have you ran memtest on the ram just to make sure its ok?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Have you ran memtest on the ram just to make sure its ok?

Yeah. Ran for an hour, maybe a longer test is needed?

And I've googled "Windows 7 randomly freezes" and its of no help.
    Really looks like a ram or possible software problem due to fine temps and how stable it can be other times.

I'll forget about the performace test score, all that matters is the 1080p games fly! Now lets deal with the freeze ups!

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

An hour should be long enough to run memtest if it was the bootable not windows version.

Regarding timings you could loosen them to rule that out but if at rated they really should be fine.

I would test it without overclock also to see if you get any freezes as i'm not a fan of those "auto" overclocks.

Only other thing i can think of if its none of the above or software is the power supply.I dont know how good the dell* ones are and if a fault with it could cause the issues.

*Insert Solitaire's expert opinion here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

To quicktest with memtest, run a 15 run loop of test 5 and then a 5 loop run of test 6. If its going to fail it will fail on these. Of course a 24 hour loop is needed to be fully sure but this way is great when overclocking for a quick test

I believe I was running the 64-bit version of performance test. The 32-bit now gives me 6.5K+ cpu mark.

And the freezing has seemed to stop. I set voltages and timmings by hand in the bios instead of AUTO.

Advertisement