Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is?

• 18-10-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

It's about 25mm in diameter
    It's a darkish green colour
    It doesn't stick to a magnet
    It's perfectly round
    It's fairly heavy for it's size
    It's definitely a metal
    It has some small round indents in it, you can see in the first pic

1255918579.jpg

1255996458.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Musket ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Musket ball?

That's what i thought, but how can i be sure?

Naseby_musket_balls.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I remeber see-ing something like this in a museum, I think I remember it being some type of artilliary. Where you get it?

kwalshe wrote: »
    I remeber see-ing something like this in a museum, I think I remember it being some type of artilliary. Where you get it?

My back garden, 3" down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

hand it to the museum, you'll be credited and they'd tell you what it is.
    it looks like some type of ammunition anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Looks like a 1 inch musket ball alright. The "dent" could be where the moulding left a stub which was filed off. And as you live in Carlow, there may be a 1798 connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

+1 for 1798 if you live in Meath also.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    +1 for 1798 if you live in Meath also.

One of my friends says it's a ball bearing, if it doesn't stick to a magnet, what metals am i looking at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

One of my friends says it's a ball bearing, if it doesn't stick to a magnet, what metals am i looking at?

the magnet thing works a lot easier the otherway round, there are a lot less ferro Metals than there are non ferrous.

that looks like musketballs to me, how much do they weigh?

25mm is too big to be a Brown Bess round, but it may well have some connection to the United Irishmen and their 'Long barrel guns of the Sea'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Musket balls were commonly made from lead which if im not mistaken(which i absolutely could be, never took chemistry) is non magnetic. So it still could easily be a musket ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 RozDev

This above item I believe to be cannon buckshot

During battles when infantry got close to the cannons they would change from a single cannonball, to cannon buckshot which would constist of a 'scoop' of these ball bearings approixmately 25-30 of then.

Loaded into a cannon and fired they were a very effect weapon against advancing infantry.

If you have found a handful at a site, undoubtly there will be more.

The are not a musketball, the high temperatures cannons operated at prevented them from using lead, instead they manufactured them from a mixture of pig iron, copper and brass. Hence the deep green patina on them.

Try not to shine them up too much, as they will loose there intrinsic appeal if cleaned to heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The size of it would suggest it's a musket shot rather than something out of cannon. I've seen plenty of images of musket shots and they are this small round dark type with a little dint in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 diggerdelly

I would agree with the above and say it is definately a shot of some type. Take it to the museum or I know two guys who know a lot about military if you want a better identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

RozDev wrote: »
    This above item I believe to be cannon buckshot

During battles when infantry got close to the cannons they would change from a single cannonball, to cannon buckshot which would constist of a 'scoop' of these ball bearings approixmately 25-30 of then.

Loaded into a cannon and fired they were a very effect weapon against advancing infantry.

If you have found a handful at a site, undoubtly there will be more.

At the time that was known as "grapeshot" which was loaded into cannons in cylindrical canvas bags or "Canister shot" which was loaded in metal cases.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/nelson/viewObject.cfm?ID=KTP1094

grapeshot.jpg
    Grape shot ready for loading from http://www.americanrevolution.org/artillery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Nebit wrote: »
    hand it to the museum, you'll be credited and they'd tell you what it is.
    it looks like some type of ammunition anyways.

Well, you'll be credited if they exhibit it. Legally, if its an artefact, you are obliged to hand it in. The museum are very happy identify and advise you otherwise.
    well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravensteen

Could be lead shot. I've dug up lead shot (from a rifle, usually late 19th, early 20th century rifle, British Army standard issue) and when that hits something hard, it can dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

7 up bottle cap????

Advertisement