Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quad Core Android phone for €85 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I'm not going to go for the Cubot, I ended up finding this ZTE one, which a fantastic bargain and ZTE is a very good brand behind a lot of good phones, like the old Orange San Francisco.

Fair enough. Looks like a nice phone. Different story for customs on this phone compared to the Cubot, as it's sent from China though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

chopsey wrote: »
    Arrived this morning, no extra charges from anyone YAY

So far so good I just unboxed and am charging it up.

For 85 euro it looks like a great bargain but time will tell.

I ordered this back in June when I first posted the link, it arrived last week so it took nearly 4 weeks but it never got stopped by customs just came straight through. Looks like it came from Singapore?

After nearly a week with the phone i'm very happy with it. Still only on one sim but will get the second one soon.

Battery life is OK, wouldn't say its any better or worse than any other smartphone but I'm still using it a lot cause its new but I'll settle down soon and may get longer but you would get the day out of it no bother.

I will be looking for a better ROM for it though cause the android folder is only 1Gb and it is filling up quickly the other 12Gb is there but apps install on the 1Gb

chopsey wrote: »
    Arrived this morning, no extra charges from anyone YAY

So far so good I just unboxed and am charging it up.

For 85 euro it looks like a great bargain but time will tell.

I ordered this back in June when I first posted the link, it arrived last week so it took nearly 4 weeks but it never got stopped by customs just came straight through. Looks like it came from Singapore?

After nearly a week with the phone i'm very happy with it. Still only on one sim but will get the second one soon.

Battery life is OK, wouldn't say its any better or worse than any other smartphone but I'm still using it a lot cause its new but I'll settle down soon and may get longer but you would get the day out of it no bother.

I will be looking for a better ROM for it though cause the android folder is only 1Gb and it is filling up quickly the other 12Gb is there but apps install on the 1Gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tracking website says "2014-08-19 09:55, ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS, DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12"

Does this mean I will have to pay customs??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Probably not. Everything goes there. It's possible but you should be grand.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »

Grand thanks fingers crossed so

Moneymaker wrote: »

Looks like I'm getting hit by customs. Want me to send on the purchase receipt before they make delivery.

Purchase price comes to about 90 Euro delivered. Any idea on how much duty i will pay plus VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Looks like I'm getting hit by customs. Want me to send on the purchase receipt before they make delivery.

Purchase price comes to about 90 Euro delivered. Any idea on how much duty i will pay plus VAT?

23% VAT + admin fee.

23% VAT + admin fee.

Cheers, around 30 euro so. Not that bad I guess

Hey guys,

Having trouble installing my sim into this phone, regular size sim.

Any ideas?

Whenever I turn it on it is not recognizing the sim, getting no sim installed message very frustrating.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Having trouble installing my sim into this phone, regular size sim.

Any ideas?

Whenever I turn it on it is not recognizing the sim, getting no sim installed message very frustrating.

Make sure its facing the right way. Contacts should be faxing away from phone for first sim.

Make sure its facing the right way. Contacts should be faxing away from phone for first sim.

First sim??

I take it from your comment that I need 2 sims for this phone to work?

Is that a regular sim and a micro sim?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

First sim??

I take it from your comment that I need 2 sims for this phone to work?

Is that a regular sim and a micro sim?

No, it can take two but you only need one.

What SD card did ye get, the 1gb of storage is terrible

What SD card did ye get, the 1gb of storage is terrible

You can move most (not all) of the APPs from the phone to external storage. No discernible difference if the external card is a good quality high speed one.

Instructions here

Anyone have a hard to getting the SD to mount?? The phone is not recognizing that I have put in the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Did anyone get this phone from the site OP linked?

Haven't been able to order one off Amazon because of some error it gives when trying to proceed to checkout, unless anyone knows a way around it?

Been looking into getting one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Doff wrote: »

Haven't been able to order one off Amazon because of some error it gives when trying to proceed to checkout, unless anyone knows a way around it?

Ordered a different phone from them, placed the order Monday morning, dispatched by the afternoon and with me by the Friday (I choose the DHL option though!) they even threw in a free US to UK adapter!

Another time I ordered the same phone again, there was a delay in the dispatch because they were out of stock, and they didn't tell me until I emailed them which was a little annoying however they were more than willing to refund me when I requested.

Overall I'd say they're quite reputable!

Ordered a different phone from them, placed the order Monday morning, dispatched by the afternoon and with me by the Friday (I choose the DHL option though!) they even threw in a free US to UK adapter!

Another time I ordered the same phone again, there was a delay in the dispatch because they were out of stock, and they didn't tell me until I emailed them which was a little annoying however they were more than willing to refund me when I requested.

Overall I'd say they're quite reputable!

Perfect thats what I wanted to hear!

I'll be ordering this cubot! :)

Doff wrote: »

hi,

i ordered the phone from the link (it was my link ;))

great phone so far, really do need to sort out the space issue on it though

it took about a month to arrive and i got through customs with no extra charge

• Advertisement

Cool, I went ahead and ordered it. A month does seem quiet a long time, its already been shipped and just about to leave Hong Kong according to the tracker, must be taking the scenic route :P

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Hi, going to order this Cubot S208 of Tmart as it comes out of the UK warehouse. about €93 but no customs or waiting....

can someone who has bought the S208 confirm that high speed data is available on Vodaphone network here in Ireland? H or H+ appearing on the display.
    The description details 3G WCDMA 850/2100MHz which is the US standard , we use 900/2100 in Europe AFAIK. Selecting EU standard in the product config doesn't change anything in the description.

http://www.tmart.com/CUBOT-S208-1-16GB-Quad-core-Processor-Android-4.2.2-Cellphone-with-5.0-Screen-EU-Standard-Black_p249327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

I have the 208 but got mine from amazon. The H and H+ is on mine. I'm with Vodafone.

Blankety wrote: »
    Hi, going to order this Cubot S208 of Tmart as it comes out of the UK warehouse. about €93 but no customs or waiting....

can someone who has bought the S208 confirm that high speed data is available on Vodaphone network here in Ireland? H or H+ appearing on the display.
    The description details 3G WCDMA 850/2100MHz which is the US standard , we use 900/2100 in Europe AFAIK. Selecting EU standard in the product config doesn't change anything in the description.

http://www.tmart.com/CUBOT-S208-1-16GB-Quad-core-Processor-Android-4.2.2-Cellphone-with-5.0-Screen-EU-Standard-Black_p249327.htm

+1 on that i have had this phone for almost two months or so and i really cant fault it except for the apps installing on the 1Gb system disk.

great job

2+ months with this phone now....its OK.

Screen scratched up a bit, didn't take much for that to happen so phone must go into pocket on its own now.

SD card reader failed so back to ****e 1GB.

Will be changing phone after a year max.

Still decent phone for the price all things considered.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

2+ months with this phone now....its OK.

Screen scratched up a bit, didn't take much for that to happen so phone must go into pocket on its own now.

SD card reader failed so back to ****e 1GB.

Will be changing phone after a year max.

Still decent phone for the price all things considered.

Thanks MayoSalmon. maybe I will get one tonight:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

I bought the Cubot S208 last month through Amazon - just got an email from them that the power supply with it is being recalled

They say the usb cable is ok - but sent two big warnings Not to use the power part and to throw it away (I will do an autopsy on mine see how bad it is first)

Fair play to Amazon they gave me 10 pounds credit to buy a new one.

Just forwarding on the warning for anyone that may have bought same elsewhere....

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I bought the Cubot S208 last month through Amazon - just got an email from them that the power supply with it is being recalled

They say the usb cable is ok - but sent two big warnings Not to use the power part and to throw it away (I will do an autopsy on mine see how bad it is first)

Fair play to Amazon they gave me 10 pounds credit to buy a new one.

Just forwarding on the warning for anyone that may have bought same elsewhere....

Funny that mine didn't work from day one so went out a bought a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

Tested the voltage and on a scope there is a 400mV ripple in it - thats pretty high and cannot be good for the health of any phone.

Took it apart... Oh my....

1. First it opened far too easy - one tiny screw
    - normally its heat sealed together and impossible separate.

The plastic is really light and could very easily separate into two just removing it from the wall - exposing some dangerous wiring...

2. Inside it was a horror show - the mains 220v AC voltage is rectified to DC with four simple diodes to a lethal 320 VDC voltage.

3. This is passed through some very dodgy soldering with microns clearance between the circuit board traces.

4. The High and 5v side do not have good physical separation - there is a component (capacitor) linking the high voltage and the low voltage USB output - if that were to fail as a short -you would get 320 volts DC coming out the usb port!

No CE mark - so never tested in Europe.

definitely one for the bin.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

ozmo wrote: »
    Tested the voltage and on a scope there is a 400mV ripple in it - thats pretty high and cannot be good for the health of any phone.

Took it apart... Oh my....

1. First it opened far too easy - one tiny screw
    - normally its heat sealed together and impossible separate.

The plastic is really light and could very easily separate into two just removing it from the wall - exposing some dangerous wiring...

2. Inside it was a horror show - the mains 220v AC voltage is rectified to DC with four simple diodes to a lethal 320 VDC voltage.

3. This is passed through some very dodgy soldering with microns clearance between the circuit board traces.

4. The High and 5v side do not have good physical separation - there is a component (capacitor) linking the high voltage and the low voltage USB output - if that were to fail as a short -you would get 320 volts DC coming out the usb port!

No CE mark - so never tested in Europe.

definitely one for the bin.

Fantastic analysis ozmo and safety warning to other boardsies. Fair play.

Advertisement