Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    I have taken advantage of the fine weather’ and the fact that the other half has gone on a weeks holidays’ :D
    I can make as much noise as I like’ :P so I can get a bit done before I go to work
    Anyway; I have been very busy’ I have caulked most of the boat’ port side done’ and above the waterline on the starboard side’ I have also finished all the plugs; about two thousand of them; various sizes mostly ‘12mm
    I have also started spraying the planks.
    Kfod had advised me’ that a paraffin and boiled linseed mix, was the way things were done in the past;

However since I cannot stand the smell of paraffin oil; aka, kerosene ,
    I have opted to use a mixture on ethylene glycol’ and water mix; 12lt of water mixed with 500ml of glycol ‘
    This will hopefully stop any rot’ and kill’ any dry rot spores’ left over’ from when I removed rotten timbers a few months ago
    This I will spray and paint at least a dozen times over the next week or so
    Once dry it doesn’t seem to effect the gluing process using reconsenol glue

I will however spray the outside with the kerosene and linseed oil mix, I will give it, one or two coats; the glycol will open the pores of the wood; allowing this mix to penetrate deeper into the fibres’ of the wood
    Only on the outside though
    So I am now ready to start laying the marine ply for the decking
    I had intended to use wbp exterior grade ply’ but lost faith in it’ so I got five sheets of 9mm marine ply and have started to give a couple of coats sealer’ varnish and white spirit mix 50/50
    Two coats of varnish; then I’m ready to fit
    I will leave the final preparations to the hull; alone for a while; there’s a little bit of planeing’ and a lot of sanding’ until I am ready to paint;

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ametyst sailor

Hi Copper12

I joined this forum just to say how pleased I am to see someone with the necessary skills and energy to bring new life to one of these wonderful vessels.

I have very fond memories of sailing a friends example all over the south east and south coast of England in the 1980's. I even courted my wife with it!

My friend offered me the boat when he emigrated but I simply did not have the time or the skills to take the boat on. It too needed much work doing to keep her seaworthy and had rot in many of the places you have chronicled here.

You will not find a better handling boat and they have excellent sea keeping qualities when the weather pipes up and they are easy to sail short handed with a snug cockpit and easily lashed tiller.

She was rigged as cutter but we always sailed her as a sloop, she had a very handy double forestay which made downwind sailing very easy goosewinged with no main set and a foresail on each stay. The boom sat snugged down in a crutch from the rear cockpit bulkhead and provided a super secure bracing for the helm being stood up for best view when surfing downhill.

We had the engine driveshaft fail shortly after the owner had thoughtfully tightened down the engine mounts in a moment of over zealous ships husbandry, in doing so he ruined the shaft alignment with the cutlass bearing so I had to turn up an adaptor shaft coupling to marry up the ends of the driveshaft, it was about 1.25" diameter stainless and took a lot of effort to saw in situ at the mooring! The Old Volvo never let us down, and was easy to handcrank when we had low battery power (I was a strapping youth in my 20's then!), the only problem we had from it was blocked fuel filter after a very rough North Sea passage had stirred up all the crap in the tank.

Enough rambling, keep up the good work and enjoy the qualities of this little known sailing Gem

A s

Ametyst sailor
    Thanks for joining
    I hope you are well
    I will give the Volvo an other chance; if it’s as easy as you say to start when the batteries goes dead
    There might be another few years in her yet
    Can you tell me if you used the roiling boom for the main sail
    Any information you can give me would be really appreciated
    Any knowledge you can pass on will be surely used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

copper12 wrote: »
    I have also started spraying the planks. ............. a paraffin and boiled linseed mix, was the way things were done in the past..........I will however spray the outside with the kerosene and linseed oil mix, I will give it, one or two coats

Hi Copper,
    Be very careful of rags & gear after using them with boiled linseed oil - BLO when dried on rags, etc., has a tendency to self-combust under certain conditions. The 'driers' in the BLO apparently are the cause. It’s never happened when I’ve used the stuff, but repeatedly I’ve read warnings on it happening.
    See here

Finally I have finished the caulking
    I have a sore hip from hammering at some weird angles and one arm like Arnold swasenager
    I have also taking apart the =boom I had intended on making another however the original boom looks surprisingly well after fifty years some rot at one end I remove this and scarf in a piece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ametyst sailor

Hi Copper12

I would use the Volvo if you can, spend the cash on decent injector servicing and it will go easily.

Yes, I did use the roller reefing,it had a worm gear drive and it was ok but not as slick as slab reefing and it did not ever look very tidy. What made it fiddly was the cable end of the main halyard was on a winch on the port side of the mast next to the gooseneck, it had an under hand over-centre locking/clutch release lever -(only way I can describe it) that required respect when loaded on a moving deck, it was very easy to birdcage the cable halyard round the winch if it was unclutched too suddenly and that always happened when you needed to shorten sail in a rush!. The trick was to use the heel of your hand on the end of the winch to prevent it running away.

The aft cabin was superb for watch keeping whilst on passage, you could confer with the helm whilst in your bunk and the motion was kind in that part of the boat. - the snug size of the cabins made the boat good at sea but I remember using the head was a claustrophobic experience and always cause for banter and progress reports with the cockpit crew though the letterbox sized window, not for shrinking violets!

If I can find any photos I'll post them, but I've had two house moves since that time so it may be a while.

Cheers

A s

Ametyst sailor
    As you must be aware by now’ I have no experience of sailing
    The terminology used i am just learning, so if some of my questions seem to be very basic knowledge questions; it’s due to my lack of knowledge and understanding
    However with the help of people on this forum I’m gaining knowledge :)
    I will most likely go with slab reefing, and two rolling furloughs .
    Sunday; I watched a yachtsman, from fenit’ single handed raise the main sail to the second reef; and roll out a furling genoa sail; in what I would consider high enough wind, without any problems , everything led back to the cockpit, this is what I am aiming for, simple basic sailing :P

Evening all
    I have finally made a start on the sub deck; 9mm marine ply
    I have the bow section done at least
    I have used but joints; along the king plank; and the section where there are two deck beams’ close together’
    Where I have to make a joint’ along a single deck beam’ I will lap thes and use resorcinol
    glue’ it should make a stronger joint
    I’m still spraying the hull; with a mixture of ethyl glycol and water ;15 to one mix
    I have noticed’ that in areas where there was some algae; that it has killed it.
    So it seems to be working; it is both killing’ and treating the wood’ against rot’ and hydrating the wood’ as well, also it is soaking into the caulking and should preserve it
    I have attached two photo’s where you can make out the algae growth before and after pick’s

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You may not need it but here is a nice little video on rope work. She is starting to come together now,keep up the good work.

Evening all
    I have managed to do the area around the transom; and the rear cabin
    I was able to slip the marine ply’ under the cabin ,without to much difficulty.
    So just the sides to do, and I will be able to give it a fibreglass coating.
    Then I will be able to start on the main cabin. and cockpit .

• Advertisement

Evening all
    Got another bit dome today; not much; a little bit in between the showers
    I have tried to keep joints to a minimum; and where I have to make joints.
    I have used but joints, where I have double beams; or along the king plank.
    Where I have to make a joint; along a single beam, I have used lap joints, glued with resorcinol
    Then fill any gaps with tec 7 there’s probably no need for me to do this as I will be applying fibreglass cloths but sure why not
    There’s a lot of angles cuts, measurements’ more cuts, swearing, losing the plot,:mad: cups of Coffey; and then back to measuring again;:rolleyes:
    I’m getting there though slowly but sourly

Almost finished laying the marine ply for the decking
    I managed to fit the ply under the rear cabin just like the original
    Just a little tidying up to be done here and there
    There’s still a little caulking to be done as well not much
    So next steep is to fit the bulkheads and then the front cabin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Very nice.

318064.jpg

Copper,
    Great to see the 'lid' being put on!
    Have you thought about gunwales, or will you use a toe-rail on the outer edge of the deck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It's a boat!

Seriously, fair play to you. Impressive amount of work gone in already and so quickly. The transom's looking beautiful. Please don't paint it :P

Compare with the "before":

275959.JPG

Thanks everyone for the comments
    Pedro; I am hoping to combine a rub rail come gunwale
    In her original decking the ply was left short of the edge of the plank
    And the margin board bevelled and cut to suit this
    I have run the ply to the edge; so I need to have a, toe rail’ come margin board’ come rub rail combine, sort of thing, it’s still up in the air for now, the margin boards will be as wide as I can make them.
    Miss no stars I’m hoping to let the wood show true ;)

Copper has been entertaining us with progress reports and photos of his hard work for quite a while so I recently decided to acknowledge his kindness by inviting him for a sail. As with all things planned in advance we could not depend on the weather. We met up on the pier near my mooring and after a damp dinghy ride he had a good look at the standing and running rigging aboard. Although I have a smaller, plastic boat, rigging is rigging and he soon had it figured out.

We set sail under heavily reefed main and a well-furled genny. Not an ideal day for the faint-hearted, blowing F 4 with periodic much stronger gusts (and that was in sheltered waters!). However, as expected the wind reduced with the ebbing tide and while we did not shake out the reef in the main we played a bit with the genny as the squalls diminished.

Although a total beginner Copper is a natural sailor, a gentle hand on the helm, quickly grasped everything that was happening and how/why things worked. He now cannot wait to get afloat as a raggie, not as a petrolhead! (Thankfully, don't know what would have happened to the restoration if he found he did not like sailing!:eek:)

Good fun had, great day out, we even went round the back of an island to fish and were lucky! Only one pic, we had our hands full easing sheets at appropriate times, practicing sail trim on tacking, gybing, reaching and running.

Thanks for your company Copper, you’re welcome to come out anytime!

pedroeibar1

I cannot express how grateful I am’ for the lessons Tuesday ;)
    exhilarated was the way I felt afterwards,:D having put all I have learnt’ to some use’ was great
    Although I have not gotten my head fully, around what we done’ tacking; gybeing’ tighten up the Genoa.
    I am hooked on sails; I just have to try and get out as much as I can’ to get the experience
    The feel of the wind in the sails; the power of nature’ is something to behold’ and respect.
    I cant wait to get Ceo Na Mara finished; and out in the open water :p

Evening all
    I have finally finished putting on the fibreglass; it took a lot longer than I thought it would’
    Put on a layer of resin’ then fibreglass’ another layer of resin’ to wet out the fibreglass’ 200gm cloth’ then an other layer of resin’ about two hundred flies’ and two ladybirds; entombed between the layers. Jurassic park comes to mind :eek:
    I had intended to start on the cabin walls’ and roof, however after giving some thought’ I have decided to put in the bulk heads’ around the engine’ and fit some hanging knees’ along the side carlings,
    There would have been to much weight’ bearing down on the carlings, and without some support,
    I would not be ably to keep her shape, I am using some of the old bulkheads as templates. although I have had to move some stuff around, so often, things have mislaid’ but I have enough to work with’
    I am still spraying the ethylene glycol ‘water mixture’ 20 to 1 mix, it takes just over an hour’ to do this, to minimise run off
    I have about five more doses to do,:rolleyes: twenty done .

copper12 wrote: »
    Evening all
    ....... and fit some hanging knees’ along the side carlings, There would have been to much weight’ bearing down on the carlings, and without some support, I would not be ably to keep her shape........

Great to see the progress (but I'd never get away with doing that to the lawn!)
    The hanging knees reminded me of Robert Seppings (familiar name to P O'Brian fans) whose watchword was "partial strength produces general weakness".

• Advertisement

Evening all
    Plan A went out the window
    I am onto plan F now’ don’t ask about the rest
    Temporary noggins’ and braces is what I went with.
    The port side of the rear hatch, that I spent so much time trying to save, running the ply and the fibreglass under, I had to remove’ the rot had gone to far’ I would have made my job a lot essayer’ if I had removed it at the start’ ah sure’ that’s the way things go
    I also made a start on the repair of the Boom, since it’s been raining’ for the last two days.
    I have removed the wood, that suffered the most rot’ and have scarf in two joints’
    Since the boom seemed to have been made in two half’s each scarf will be about 18” apart
    While I was at it’ I sanded the boom’ I was surprised at how wet it was
    So I have it hanging inside the garage to dry out.
    I have also laminated some pine for the repair.
    Next steep try and fit the side of the cabins at least I have the templates

cabin

Evening all
    I have been very busy lately
    Doing a lot of work, but there seems’ not a lot to show for it :confused:
    I have managed to fit the side panels; for the front’ and rear cabins
    They were originally done, in 1 inch thick mahogany’ 15 foot long’ and two foot wide.
    With the limited tools and equipment available to me’ I went with two layers of 8x4 12mm marine ply.
    Glued together with reconsenol glue
    This allowed me to the bend along the rebate that I had fitted
    There is a one foot overlap’ where I joined the ply together
    Here’s a few pictures they tell the story better than me :P

Evening all
    I am still working around the front cabin
    I had removed the roof a number of months ago
    There was a lot of rot there’ so rebuilding it was the only option
    The oak roof beams’ and headers’ were 90% good’ so I have opted to reuse these’ and replace the rest in situ.
    Basically’ I removed as most of the exterior wood’ and left enough to maintain the shape of the cabin roof.
    If I can make the old one fit’ then my cut’s and measurements’ were fairly close to the original
    Having to lift the roof’ back onto the cabin’ was a lot harder than when I took it off
    So with the help of a few clamps, and straps, I finally got it in place
    There still a bit of pulling and shoving left to get it to fit; but I am nearly there .

Evening all
    I am still working away on the front cabin
    While the cabin roof looked ok’ the oak timber is surprisingly good’ after fifty years
    I have scar fed in joints; where there was some rot’ rather than replace the whole lot
    The front of the cabin turned out well
    I spent two days, trying to get the bevels’ and cut’s right
    The lower section is carved out of a 5x4 length of teak; it had to be scribed, bevelled, and angled 30 degrees, then a rebate had to be put in .
    It almost done my head in :confused:
    Here’s a few pastures they tell the story

Evening all
    Still tipping away at the forward cabin
    The oak frame only need two repairs
    Everything looks ok, I am spraying it with ethylene glycol water mix, to prevent any further rot
    I have given it a light sanding, looks almost new
    I am undecided’ as to weather to continue with the cabin’ or start on the bulk heads.
    As this is what hold up the roof; but if I do this, I might have difficulty removing the engine, if I don’t get it going, I will have to come up with some sort of plan
    I am hoping to have the cabins finished’ and someway weather proofed, before the weather changes.
    I can work away inside in the winter

Looking really good, you'll be a master craftsman by the time your done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Seriously impressive stuff!

I'd ensure that whatever route you go that you have a means of lifting out the engine. Maybe some sort of coachroof/hatch that is 'fixed' but removeable without too much fuss?
    Great progress!

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I finished fitting the ply onto the front cabin
    Myself and the twins (aldi and lidl) came up with a plan.
    Worked out well; I will give it a layer of fibreglass’
    As Soon as I figure out how get the edges formed
    Also started on the rear cabin’ other than the hatch’ and the guides having some rot’
    it looks’ as if I will be able to clean it up’ and re caulk the seems, and it should be ok
    Gave the whole lot a dose of glycol water mix to stop any further rot
    Anyway here’s the pictures they tell the story better than me

Advertisement