Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you like your steak ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Very happy bellies here, thanks dee_mc! Followed all the tips in the thread, took steaks out of the fridge an hour before serving, rubbed with oil, salt and pepper. Grilled for 3 mins each side and they came out perfectly medium (probably more on the medium rare side), and let them rest for about 10 mins. I only eat steak about once a year and usually only fillet, but I'm converted. It was melt in the mouth yummy!

Delighted you enjoyed it! Just had an epic steak dinner, 33% off striploins in Supervalu tother day so had them rare with roasted parsnips and baby potatoes, yuuuum! Coffee cake for dessert, I'll need to be taken out of the house by crane if I keep this up!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Steak is one of my favourite things in the world to eat - and I've been trying to perfect it's cooking over the last while. Let me start by sharing my way - but I'd love to hear any of your tips or how you do it.

So, first is the meat; my current favourite is the Aldi Sirloin steaks, 2 for €10 and they are almost consistently excellent.
    I let the steak sit out for about an hour to come up to room temperature.
    Lightly oil and season, then put onto a baking hot griddle pan for about a minute each side to seal it.
    I then place into a low heat oven (about 150 degrees) until cooked to liking - apprix 5-7 mins (i think) for medium rare.
    I then let it stand for a minute in some tinfoil, and add a small knob of butter to glaze.

Result:
    steak.jpg

The only problem I sometimes get is that it has been a little cold at times, perhaps I need a higher oven temp.

So has anyone got any better ways or tips to improve?

Also what do you like to eat with your steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Zascar wrote: »
    Steak is one of my favourite things in the world to eat - and I've been trying to perfect it's cooking over the last while. Let me start by sharing my way - but I'd love to hear any of your tips or how you do it.

So, first is the meat; my current favourite is the Aldi Sirloin steaks, 2 for €10 and they are almost consistently excellent.
    Lightly oil and season, then put onto a baking hot griddle pan for about a minute each side to seal it.
    I then place into a low heat oven (about 150 degrees) until cooked to liking - apprix 5-7 mins (i think) for medium rare.
    I then let it stand for a minute in some tinfoil, and add a small knob of butter to glaze.

Result:

The only problem I sometimes get is that it has been a little cold at times, perhaps I need a higher oven temp.

Looks fantastic to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

These are going on the pan in about 20 mins. ....yummy.
    I'll aim for medium rare. ..but they will most likely be medium

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

did u forget the pic?

No it wouldn't let me upload....

20140727_185026.jpg

That was before. ...one is now in my belly....They turned out medium rare yummy

Had steaks again tonight.
    Striploins like my previous post.

Cooked them medium

With potatoe gratin.
    And used a knor peppercorn pot and some fresh cream to make a pepper sauce.
    Yummy

Had them medium because I prefer medium with a sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

May I pick the brains of more knowledgeable people?

So I like my steak well done (not charred, cooked through and a little pink is ok if it's thick). The OH likes his med/rare. We cannot seem to cook both steaks correctly, one or both of us ends up over/under done. We have a good griddle pan and grill/oven if needed but could anyone break down timings on this? It's driving us nuts as we both like steak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Hi Mirrorwall, the following is a guide from BBC Good Food, I just copied an extract for you relating to timing. If the steaks are the same size and thickness, then it's a matter of putting yours on first and doing the sums as to when to put his steak on the pan. Personally I like to use a dry heavy pan, get it good and hot and then stand the steaks on their fat side, held tightly together with a tongs and let the fat render out and brown the fat fairly well. I would then take his off the pan, lay yours flat to let it get a head start and then bearing in mind the sums you've done, you can then add his to the pan for the required time. Rendering the fat like that doesn't really change the cooking times but it certainly improves the finished flavour when it cooks in its own fat rather than oil.

If you'd like to read the entire article, you'll find it at: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-perfect-steak

I hope it helps! :)

"We recommend the following cooking times for a 3.5cm thick fillet steak:
    Blue: About 1½ mins each side
    Rare: About 2¼ mins each side
    Medium-rare: About 3¼ mins each side
    Medium: About 4½ mins each side

We also recommend the following for a 2cm thick sirloin steak:
    Blue: About 1 min each side
    Rare: About 1½ mins per side
    Medium rare: About 2 mins per side
    Medium: About 2¼ mins per side
    For a well-done steak, cook for about 4-5 minutes each side, depending on thickness.

Check your steak is cooked correctly

Grilled steakUse your fingers to prod the cooked steak – when rare it will feel soft, medium-rare will be lightly bouncy, and well-done will be much firmer.

Leave it to rest

A cooked steak should rest at room temperature for at least five minutes – it will stay warm for anything up to 10 minutes. Here, pure science comes into play – the fibres of the meat will reabsorb the free-running juices resulting in a moist and tender finish to your steak.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can't argue with the above ... Make sure both steaks are up to room temp before cooking (so out of fridge for at least 30 mins before cooking) have somewhere warm (but not cooking hot) to rest your steak, low oven is ideal.
    Place the steak to be well done on the hot griddle (flat plan is often easier, especially if you want to make a sauce/glaze) .after about 2 or 3 mins (when you turn it first time) lash on the second steak ...
    When you feel either steak is nearly done lash it on warm plate in low oven , sorted ..
    Err on side of caution, you can always cook a bit more but never a bit less ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

finix wrote: »
    I am watching Mary Berry cooking steak on BBC2 and she only cooked them for less than 2 minutes on each side. She then cut one in half and proclaimed ''Perfect'' It was red raw in the middle ! ! Why bother cooking them ? Just eat it raw ! I could not eat a steak unless medium at a minimum.
    Am I missing something ? How do you like your steak ?:confused:

Exactly how I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Zascar wrote: »

So, first is the meat; my current favourite is the Aldi Sirloin steaks[/URL], 2 for €10 and they are almost consistently excellent.

Result:

So if you buy steaks on a vacuum packed tray or similar - take it out from it night before cooking and leave it in the fridge on the plate or chopping board, so the drying out process on the outside will seal it all the juices inside, take out from the fridge a least an hour before cooking.

This is how I cook the steak :
    - just before the cooking rub it with salt and pepper, be generous with both
    - olive oil in the pan to the highest temp
    - sear it on each side turning over every minute
    - hand crushed clove of garlic, brunch of thyme and rosemary in the pan
    - sear properly on every side, rendering the fat of
    - add knob of butter and start basting it with table spoon for a few moments

depending on how you want your stake, leave it to rest for a rare, or put into the oven with the pan for medium and above temps

served with sweet potato fries and red wine caramelized onions

my wife loves me for it :)

Was in my favourite steak house restaurant last night... Ordered a large fillet medium... It came out closer to well done than medium... Was a bit disappointing and made me realise why I've gone e down to medium/medium rare.

It was tasty all the same and I ate it as I was starving... Just didn't have the right texture.

Guess what's on the menu this evening... That big boy is for me.
    Mrs Demanufactured will be having its baby brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

On a plate lol

Advertisement