Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile Homes in Wexford

• 06-08-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Haven't posted many to this site so please bear with me if I fail to use the correct etiquette.

I am strongly considering buying a mobile home in Oatfields Leisure Park in Morriscastle, Wexford . Myself & my wife visited a number in Ballymoney, Courtown, Kilmuckeridge & Morriscastle (all in Wexford) as its a considerable investment given the price of purchasing a mobile home plus the annual fees. Having evaluated everything we are torn between Prospect Park in Ballymoney & Oatfields in Morriscastle with our preference just for the latter . I have 4 young children all 10 yrs or below and feel it would be great way of entertaining them for the long school summer holidays as well as long weekends and just normal weekend breaks during the year. Unfortunately both our chosen locations have rather high annual fees (€3,000 - €3,300) but the amenities and activities are exceptional compared to the majority of other parks who charge approx. €2,800 per annum.

Has anyone any experience of these caravan parks or could recommend alternatives we may not have visited, they must be within 1h 20 mins of Leopardstown M50 exit 13 ?

Further if you had any advice for someone looking for a mobile what to consider , is it a good option . I'm being quoted €26k for a 7 yr old 2nd hand 3 bed mobile 37x12 ft or €45k for a brand new one . Are either of these good value , its pretty hard to get an actual market value for mobiles as 2 or 3 companies seem to have it all tied up and the sites don't allow you to just arrive with your own , they will only allow you to buy from them.

All feedback and advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭magicray

We have a mobile home on a different site in Kilmuckridge very near Oatfields and can 100% vouch for the area - its really lovely

I do think that Oatfields is very expensive though so you would have to be sure that you would get enough use out of the mobile to get your value from it - Oatfields is a lot more expensive than some of the other sites around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Think this is a better home than A&P

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

That's very big money.
    Would you consider a touring caravan and a season pitch ? Also gives you an opportunity to move to different sites. Could get a v good 5 yr old 6 berth with triple bunks for about 13 k. Add an awning for extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

have you seen Carne beach in Wexford we have been all over Ireland and just found this place
    we will going there from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

For that kind of money could you not buy a house in Wexford which at least would be going up in value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tughfc

Have a mobile home here http://kilgormanholidaypark.ie/ (Just incase you haven't come accross it)

No idea costs or anything but do know they have sites available.

Spent my entire summers here as a child and basically felt like i was abroad for 3 months of the year. Made tonnes of friends and still frequently go down.

Only an hour from Dublin also. These Mobile homes arent an investment in my opinion. More times then not they are handed down the generations. Extremely child friendly as well.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lornaloo

i am looking for a mobile home in lahinch and they seem to be like gold if anybody hears of any could they please let me know .thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Really appreciate all the info and advice. Still undecided as to what to do. The idea of buying a house is totally out of our budget. We are at about €30k which will probably mean a 2nd hand mobile home somewhere in Wexford.
    If budget was available I would question whether my kids would have as much fun in a house on their own (they have this already) or on a caravan park. From what I've seen the caravan sites have hundreds of kids all similar age to my own and deep down I think this is ultimately what I am looking to buy.
    I totally accept that that it doesn't make financial sense but this isn't a financial investment , I know ultimately in 12-15 years this will be worth nothing . I'm coming at it from a leisure investment, an investment in my kids happiness and ultimately a getaway whenever we want to get away from Dublin , work and the likes.
    The fees we are looking at are just over €3k a year which is pricey in my opinion but compared to some of the site in Brittas they are a snip.
    If I don't do it we'll probably end up going to Spain or Portugal for 2 weeks each year which will cost me €6k each time and this could be considered dead money so the €30k + fees and having the use of it for 10 months a year may now seem like the better opportunity.

Oatfields in Kilmuckridge is currently top of our list

Again any feedback advice is hugely appreciated.

magicray wrote: »
    We have a mobile home on a different site in Kilmuckridge very near Oatfields and can 100% vouch for the area - its really lovely

I do think that Oatfields is very expensive though so you would have to be sure that you would get enough use out of the mobile to get your value from it - Oatfields is a lot more expensive than some of the other sites around

Apologies if this may appear a bit forward but where are you located and how much is the annual fees. I love the area and Morriscastle beach is the most amazing thing ever. Oatfields has fully supervised kids activities everyday throughout July & August. The site is very child friendly and they all seem to be having a ball. We all just got a great vibe from the place but I haven't seen too many. Our main requirement would be there is lots of stuff for the kids to do during the summer months.

Will send you a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Will send you a pm

I'm extremely interested in oatfields too - my husband and I are very strongly considering an investment in a Mobile next summer too. We have friends in oatfields who absolutely love it. If there is any info you could advise, I'd welcome a PM too!!

Thanks

highly1111 wrote: »
    I'm extremely interested in oatfields too - my husband and I are very strongly considering an investment in a Mobile next summer too. We have friends in oatfields who absolutely love it. If there is any info you could advise, I'd welcome a PM too!!

Thanks

Will do. I am told November/December is the best time to be looking as the summer season has finished and most people have their annual fees to renew so they tend to opt out then and the mobiles become available for sale. I've been very surprised at the cost of mobile homes, they are far higher than I expected. New 3 bed you are talking €50k and I don't think it can be considered a financial investment as they only depreciate . A leisure investment or an investment in my kids is the view I am taking on it . It helps me to somehow rationalise the cost !
    Fees in Oatfields are €3,300 which is very much the high end for the sites in the locality. Next park up is €1,800 per year but the activities for kids & adults are non existent.

I've seen a few parks over the past few months and the 2 that stick out are Oatfields & Prospect Park in Ballymoney (€3,050 fees) especially if you have young kids.

If you need anything else PM me.

Thank you. Prospect is another one we're currently looking at. I might be back with more questions!! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Probably a bit late to be contributing to this thread, but November/December is when people often look. We have a mobile home on a small site near Rosslare harbour - we are retired, so have a different agenda to many on here. But we do loan it out to family members and friends who have small kids. Our park has very few facilities and the annual fees are about €2K. Interestingly, the parents of the kids who have used our place are really attracted to the LACK of facilites - the kids seem to spend a lot of time on their bikes/scooters, and make up their own games - we have been very surprised by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'd second the touring caravan recommendation and try a seasonal pitch (if offered) for the first year. See how it goes, and if you get the use from the expensive facilities. You'll buy an awful lot of touring van for 10K and then get most of it back if you look after it.

I have access to a mobile home in Wicklow, on an expensive enough site but with no organised activities etc for the kids. Also have a touring caravan so can compare the two. The activities the kids get up to in both are the same (riding bikes, playing on the beach, picking blackberries!), and they love both. They prefer the touring van for sleeping though. Really great holidaying for them. So much so that our eldest is heading for 7 and has only left the country once.

Thanks for all the great advice and info.
    Took the plunge and went for one near Morriscastle beach. It was September when we committed so won't really get a full idea of what's what until next summer.
    Spent Halloween down in Wexford and was great fun but the summer will be the true test.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fortyfoot20

Hi All

this is my first post but i would really appreciate any help. we have checked alot of mobile sites near the coast in wexford and are trying to decide between morriscastle and rosslare. morriscastle is probably slightly better in terms of beach and park but doesnt have the infrastructure of rosslare like kellys, swimming pool, coffee shops and bars in walking distance. I am concerned that there is not much to do for teenagers in morriscastle or kilmuckridge.

we have been offered a 2004 mobile for 21,000 which seems like alot but i am not sure how to work out the depreciation or re sale value for second hand mobiles.

any feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks

We chose based on the distance from home, the drive has to be do-able on a Friday evening after work, the hubby has often left to drive up early Monday morning too

What site in Morriscastle are you looking at - the prices vary hugely from place to place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Hi All

this is my first post but i would really appreciate any help. we have checked alot of mobile sites near the coast in wexford and are trying to decide between morriscastle and rosslare. morriscastle is probably slightly better in terms of beach and park but doesnt have the infrastructure of rosslare like kellys, swimming pool, coffee shops and bars in walking distance. I am concerned that there is not much to do for teenagers in morriscastle or kilmuckridge.

we have been offered a 2004 mobile for 21,000 which seems like alot but i am not sure how to work out the depreciation or re sale value for second hand mobiles.

any feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks

Weather will be a good bit better in rosslare, and yes more to do there if the distance isn't a show stopper , but it's really another 1 hr down the road from Dublin , but this can have its advantages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bigus wrote: »
    Weather will be a good bit better in rosslare, and yes more to do there if the distance isn't a show stopper , but it's really another 1 hr down the road from Dublin , but this can have its advantages too.

Yes, the advantage is that while it gets busy, it is never jam packed that far from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 1newbie

Hi Does anyone have contact details for Kathleen O'Briens mobile home site in Morriscastle?

1newbie wrote: »
    Hi Does anyone have contact details for Kathleen O'Briens mobile home site in Morriscastle?

I do, will send you a pm now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 1newbie

Thank you much appreciated

Previously mentioned we took the plunge last year September 2015 and bought a mobile near Morriscastle beach. We've now spent the entire summer down there and I can honestly say it's the best decision we ever made. My 4 young kids have had an absolute ball , they were so sceptical going down and weary of knowing no-one but this quickly changed. They were devastated leaving yesterday to return to Dublin having all made tonnes of friends.
    Anyone considering it I would strongly urge you....lots of memories already made and many more to follow I'm sure

millhouse wrote: »
    Previously mentioned we took the plunge last year September 2015 and bought a mobile near Morriscastle beach. We've now spent the entire summer down there and I can honestly say it's the best decision we ever made. My 4 young kids have had an absolute ball , they were so sceptical going down and weary of knowing no-one but this quickly changed. They were devastated leaving yesterday to return to Dublin having all made tonnes of friends.
    Anyone considering it I would strongly urge you....lots of memories already made and many more to follow I'm sure

ah brilliant thats great to hear, its an expensive outlay so you need to be happy

We didnt get down to Morriscastle as much as we usually do this year between one thing and another - its a great spot though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rainbow2017

Apologies as I see this is an old post but looking to find out the name/number of mobile site on the beach side opposite Oatfields/Lawlor's? If anyone can help that would be great.

It's called Hammells holiday park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mc15

Hi Millhouse, was it Oatfields you settled on in the end? We are looking at there at the moment for our family. Three children under 10 and whilst dh grew up with family summers in wexford, it is all new to me. Huge investment i want to get right. It appears to be a lovely site but it id a big financial commitment...thanks in advance for advice!

Yep. Went for Oatfields . Happy to chat if you want to PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mcc76

millhouse wrote: »
    Yep. Went for Oatfields . Happy to chat if you want to PM me

Hi millhouse,
    We have been quoted 42k for a second hand 3 bed mobile - 8 years old in Oatfields
    Fees 3,650 but are increasing
    This seems very expensive? Any feedback or information is greatly appreciated
    We have 8 & 3 year old
    Are the kids happy here, what are the evenings like?

Advertisement