Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I bought mine here: Serversplus using parcel motel and got my E120 cashback last september no problem.

• Lads can some explain the appeal of this to me in layman's terms? At the moment I have a Pi acting as a NAS and also running SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard. Is this just a Pi like that but on steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Apart from having more processing power than Pi, I suppose it's a box that neatly holds everything, hard drive bays etc and can you add much RAM to Pi board? This is a proper server box with all the upgrade potential...

• Cheers. It's the size of it though. Small yes but not as small as a Pi. Do people really have these wired to their modem in the living room? Surely the wife would have a fit! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What's a modem? Is it the nineties again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Lads can some explain the appeal of this to me in layman's terms? At the moment I have a Pi acting as a NAS and also running SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard. Is this just a Pi like that but on steroids?

It's a Microserver. So it's like a server, but smaller, yet bigger than than a nanoserver.

I have mine in my mancave, which has 4 Cat5e network points leading down to a patch panel behind the TV. My wife is quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers. It's the size of it though. Small yes but not as small as a Pi. Do people really have these wired to their modem in the living room? Surely the wife would have a fit! :D

Mines in the attic connected with a powerline adapter. I guess the issue with the PI is the amount of stuff you'd have hanging off it if you wanted to connect multiple drives. It also would not handle plex.

It would use a decent bit more power than a PI too, something consider.
    rovoagho wrote: »

The 56K Modem you are talking about was a modem, but so are the boxes you get from Eircom, UPC even mobile broadband sticks are modems. They are often reffered to as routers, but that is something separate. Your modem doesnt need to be your router, but it most cases they are both in the one box.

Mines in the attic connected with a powerline adapter. I guess the issue with the PI is the amount of stuff you'd have hanging off it if you wanted to connect multiple drives. It also would not handle plex.

It would use a decent bit more power than a PI too, something consider.

I'd be wary about keeping it in the attic - someone on here had temperature issues in the summer -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85445988

And it uses a bit more power than a Pi, but it does power several hard drives. I'd say the total consumption wouldn't be much more than a Pi with external drives.

• Thanks all....except rovoagho! :p

stimpson wrote: »
    I'd be wary about keeping it in the attic - someone on here had temperature issues in the summer -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85445988

And it uses a bit more power than a Pi, but it does power several hard drives. I'd say the total consumption wouldn't be much more than a Pi with external drives.

Don't worry, the attic is terribly insulated :P

With powerline though its great it can be moved anywhere really handily, all it needs is power.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, the attic is terribly insulated :P

That's the problem - if we have another hot summer there is noting to stop the heat getting in from outside. Just a word of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

rovoagho wrote: »

These are the exact replies people need to help them,
    Really Intelligent to be honest. :rolleyes:

It was a joke. Get over yourself.

That's the problem - if we have another hot summer there is noting to stop the heat getting in from outside. Just a word of warning.

If we have hot enough weather to kill my microserver that would be great :P

I don't really have anywhere else for it that would be out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Looking to buy this month, can anyone recommend the best place to buy from at the moment?

They have shot up in price anywhere I have looked, it might be worth waiting it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Just after buyin the N54L will work out to €120 after all the cashback (€20 for Irish delivery)

Servers Plus. £293.94 inc VAT with the 3yr NDB Warranty.
    There is also one without the warranty if you dont want to outlay all that cash adn wait for the cashback on the extra €100 warranty.

Cant wait this thing is going to be put through its paces. Oh you will have to phone them as they arent configured for Irish buyers on the site. Took about 10 minutes on the phone 0845 141 1234

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Yep that would be me! :D
    If we have hot enough weather to kill my microserver that would be great :P

I don't really have anywhere else for it that would be out of the way

It's fine in the attic most of the time. It automatically shuts down when the temperature gets too hot.

I just moved mine to another room with a network connection and it started up fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

platinums wrote: »
    Just after buyin the N54L will work out to €120 after all the cashback (€20 in there for Irish delivery)

There is also one without the warranty if you dont want to outlay all that cash adn wait for the cashback on the extra €100 warranty.

Cant wait this thing is going to be put through its paces. Oh you will have to phone them as they arent configured for Irish buyers on the site. Took about 10 minutes on the phone 0845 141 1234

295 stg after vat - how do you get to 120 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

HP are big into their cashback promotions, as I have experienced with their business hardware in the past.
    Basically, you buy it as it is priced online, go to their website with the serial number and a code from inside the box, register it and include your IBAN/Swift/yoke-a-ma-thing, and they send the money to your account in 14 days.

Easy-peasy.
    £100 End User Cash Back on the ProLiant MicroServer N54L!
    With this offer, purchase your ProLiant Microserver N54L between 1st and 28th February 2014, complete this claim form and HP will refund £100 cash back.

Include a 3 Year Warranty Upgrade and get an extra £66 cash back!
    In support of this offer, buy this 3 Year HP Care Pack Upgrade (UR482E) and claim a further £66 cash back.

This offer is limited to a maximum of FIVE microserver units per customer. Terms apply.

How to Claim:
    Complete the claim form
    Attach proof of purchase (reseller invoice(s)) to the claim form, with qualifying products and HP part codes circled and make copies for you records.
    Product must have been invoiced between 1st and 28th February 2014
    Mail to: HP Claims Dept, PO Box 7393, Reading, RG1 9WR. All submissions must be received by 28th March
    You will then receive an email confirming the rebate due to you and your individual reference number within 7 days of posting. If you do not receive this email then please contact promotions@out-bound.co.uk
    Cheques will be issued within 45 days of receipt of your correct invoice

So, you get more if you get the warranty, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

platinums wrote: »
    Just after buyin the N54L will work out to €120 after all the cashback (€20 in there for Irish delivery)

long_b wrote: »

It's actually available on server plus £97.94 without the 3 year warrenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Remouad wrote: »
    It's actually available on server plus £97.94 without the 3 year warrenty

They increased the price of the bundle a couple of hours ago. Originally they both worked out as £97.94.

The main issue with using it in an attic is HDD lifespan.

Drives that run below 30C or above 45C are much more likely to fail.

Remouad wrote: »

It's fine in the attic most of the time. It automatically shuts down when the temperature gets too hot.

That's not a good thing. Reminds me of a friend who owned an Alfa Romeo and used to top it up with oil when the oil light came on, because he thought that's what it was for. He ended up with a seized engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Glad i bought it, It was going to be a entry level Synology or another Readynas, this has tonnes more flex.
    long_b wrote: »

Guestimate. The AIB actually charged me €349. So £166, going on an exchange rate of about 1.20 gives a discount of €199..

SO long_b, to be exact it will cost me €149.. thank you and good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Cheers. It's the size of it though. Small yes but not as small as a Pi. Do people really have these wired to their modem in the living room? Surely the wife would have a fit! :D

Some people use it at their office. It is good as file server, especially if you running out storage in your main server and USB disk are too slow. I would find it rather too big and too slow for media server, but if someone has a big house - why not.

I have mine right up next to the TV, with another giant box on the other side, a Sony HT-AS5 home theatre system. PS3's going up there next, clear out the cabinet for knick-knacks. Wife couldn't give a monkeys.

Ye need better wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Man cave in the front room. There is hope :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

hey guys,

I bought one of these and it arrived yesterday. It was only afterwards I noticed the £100 cashback form says this:
    This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK and does not apply where product will be resold or leased. Claims must be submitted by the end user customer only. This offer is not open to employees of participating stockists or anyone connected with the promotion. Resellers may not submit claims on behalf of their customers.

Anyone know if I can get around this? Apologies if it has been mentioned before, there's many pages in this thread and I'm freaking out a bit now (this was an impulse buy because the deal was good... I didn't even really need a server :P).

I got it delivered to Parcel Motel in the north, so the delivery address on the invoice is UK, but Invoice address is an Irish address. Anyone had any experience getting this £100 cashback before... did you put your irish address on their form?

• Advertisement

CyCaboose wrote: »
    hey guys,

I bought one of these and it arrived yesterday. It was only afterwards I noticed the £100 cashback form says this:

Anyone know if I can get around this? Apologies if it has been mentioned before, there's many pages in this thread and I'm freaking out a bit now (this was an impulse buy because the deal was good... I didn't even really need a server :P).

I got it delivered to Parcel Motel in the north, so the delivery address on the invoice is UK, but Invoice address is an Irish address. Anyone had any experience getting this £100 cashback before... did you put your irish address on their form?

Yeah, use the Irish form :)

http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/jan14/PA0060_HP_Microserver_%E2%82%AC120_Cashback_Feb_2014_v1_0.pdf

I claimed Irish cashback from HP after getting something delivered to PM

Advertisement