Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi ladies I just completed the c25k program ran week 9 d3 today delighted with myself I never finish anything always start well but aftwr about 2 weeks usually give up so this is a huge accomplishment for me its been hard theres runs I felt like crying but I kept running I never knew I had that type of determination in me! This is just the beginning of a healthier fitter me I will continue to run every second day even when I dont want to! I feel strong, happy and healthy great what 9 weeks can do!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations Elsy, now keep it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Congratulations Elsy that's amazing!

I'm just back from doing W2D1. Actually felt easier than what I did last week even though the jogging bit was longer. Maybe it was the 2 min recovery. I'm not complaining though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Got back from W4D1 about an hour ago. I ran for 5 minutes straight twice! :eek: Never thought I'd do that as I was struggling with the 3 minutes runs last week! :) A bit of drizzle and a new little bit of a route tacked on made a little difference! :) It certainly chased away my hangover which as been lingering all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SM2010

been reading all of your posts for a while now and finally decided to post myself. doing W4D1 tomorrow. week 1 was terrible, thought i should just pack it in but glad I persevered...ended up realising i was trying to run way too fast for my first week. it really is a great programme. About 4 years ago I was a regular runner but treadmill only. let it slide then but determined to stick with it now. Running outdoors has always been more challenging for me but it really clears my head. Great to see the support here in LL and im looking forward to the coming weeks. thanks all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SM2010

also, might I add, rainbow kirby is hardcore & a bit of a legend! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

tempted to sign up for the ray darcy run in cork in three weeks time-i'll only be just finished week 6 of the program at that stage but i reckon i could manage the 5k if i'm doing almost 4 at the moment-there might have to be a bit of walking involved but that doesnt really matter! any boardsies doing any of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I start week 5 tomorrow, very scary!! 20minute run by the end of the week?? I don't know if I can see that happening :o

I start week 5 tomorrow, very scary!! 20minute run by the end of the week?? I don't know if I can see that happening :o

And this time next week you'll be raving about how awesome it was to finally run for 20 minutes at once. Slow, easy and relaxed and you will be fine - the program has prepared you well for it to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K.aspx

this looks cool if anyone is interested
    sorry if its posted already
    might try the mullingar one
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

hi everyone,
    wasn't sure which forum to put this on.... maybe the ART one would be better?

Basically I want to sign up to the Ladies Mini Maraton but before I do I want to just double check a few things as this is the first time for me,

1. If I register now and my friend registers in a month.... will we be able to start off together? Or is it done in order, ie. does everyone have to get in order with their number badges?

2. I've been looking on the official website but I can't find the answer to this question.... basically what are the different categories? I want to jog/run the race but I have no previous proof of my speed as this is my first race. Is there a category that I can run in but I can walk part of too if needs be? Or is that just the walkers category and is that a bad idea to start off with walkers?

Thanks everyone :)

1. If you register for the same category you'll be able to start off together.

2. The categories are
    - Elite (sub 45 mins, needs proof)
    - Runner (sub 60 mins, needs proof)
    - Fast Jogger (sub 100 mins, needs proof - I think!)
    - Jogger (no proof needed, starts in front of the walkers)
    - Walker

Last year the criteria for a runner number (white bib, sub-60) was that you had to have completed ANY race at under 9:30/mile pace. That means 29:30 for 5k, 47:30 for 5 miles, 59:01 for 10k, 1:35:00 for 10 miles, 2:04:32 for half-marathon.

After submitting the application with runner category ticked, I got an email back shortly afterwards requesting proof (For those who have gone sub-60 (or sub-100) at the Women's Mini-Marathon in the last 2 years, they have your details and won't need further proof). Couldn't find the results online from the last 10k I had done, so sent them the results from the Raheny 5 and that worked fine.

One thing that might be worth doing is to either do the MSB 5k this weekend or do one of the Join Ray For 5k races in early April and get a time that you can use to to get a Runner or Fast Jogger number.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Thank you so much for that great reply!!

I think I'm going to have a think about whether I'll go in the jogging section or walking section. I am fairly sure I want to jog it but my friends want to go in the walking section because they think they'll end up walking most of it so I might just walk it with them rather than jog on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ran for the first time for about 2 weeks today and was absolutley bricking it, thought I would hurt my knees again.Thankfully, knees were perfect. Started back at W3D1 and got a bit of burny lung but will get back to running it comfortably by the end of the week. *determined face*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Week7Day3 complete phew! Am going to take it easy now for the rest of the week so that I can give it my all at the 5K on Sunday. I want to make Rainbow Kirby proud!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ramette wrote: »
    Week7Day3 complete phew! Am going to take it easy now for the rest of the week so that I can give it my all at the 5K on Sunday. I want to make Rainbow Kirby proud!

Didnt realise you were doing it, I'll see you there then? :)

ps. awwww ;)

Am going to take it easy now for the rest of the week so that I can give it my all at the 5K on Sunday
    It would be worthwhile getting in your W8D1 run around Wednesday or Thursday too, tbh. You'll still have plenty of time before the 5k, don't worry!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Didnt realise you were doing it, I'll see you there then? :)
    Yep am going to aim to run the full 5K (only did 3.5K of the operation transformation race)
    It would be worthwhile getting in your W8D1 run around Wednesday or Thursday too, tbh. You'll still have plenty of time before the 5k, don't worry!

Jeez i have only small legs and they get very tired... you want me to run 28 minutes (coz 3 extra minutes is a LOT for small legs) and then do 5K on Sun :eek: you are a hard task master RK... ;)

Jeez i have only small legs and they get very tired... you want me to run 28 minutes (coz 3 extra minutes is a LOT for small legs) and then do 5K on Sun :eek: you are a hard task master RK... ;)
    Little secret: Most female elite distance runners are tiny, Paula Radcliffe is quite the outlier at 5'8". You're in good company if you have small legs :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W3D2 done.

'Imagine you're running alongside a hedge and there's someone on the other side of it who can see your head bobbing up and down as you run. Ideally, they should not be able tell if you're running or walking.'

Whatever you're on, Laura...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope you're coming to Porterhouse for a bit afterwards. There's nothing like a nice cool pint(or ten) after a run! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Officially enrolled for the leixlip 5k :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Ok so I thought staring week 3 in the face was scary but Week 4 is way more terrifying! There's no way I'm going to be able to run 3 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins! I barely made it through week 3!! It seems like a big jump. :eek:

Kimia wrote: »
    Ok so I thought staring week 3 in the face was scary but Week 4 is way more terrifying! There's no way I'm going to be able to run 3 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins! I barely made it through week 3!! It seems like a big jump. :eek:

Have a scroll back and see the rest of us moaning about what we didnt think we could do... then scroll forward and see we always kicked ass :cool:

You can do it! Really!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

After not doing anything over the weekend (gym was closed Saturday and I was majorly hungover Sunday), I went to do W4D2 yesterday after my workout. It was not happening! I definitely wasn't feeling it. Gave up half way through. Gonna try again on Thursday.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Officially enrolled for the leixlip 5k :cool::cool:

me too :)

I hope you're coming to Porterhouse for a bit afterwards. There's nothing like a nice cool pint(or ten) after a run! :)

i am too shy:o also i will have an american friend with me (yes i am making him run it too!) but i will be there in spirit..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

W2D2 done! Can't believe I'm half way through week 2 when I never stick to any plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

W4D3 Done today :D Did it on the threadmill though cos Im away with work this week so have to use the leisure centre in the hotel rather than running outside. I didnt like running on the threadmill at all at all- anyone else get a really horrible feeling when you get off teh threadmill?? I got really dizzy it was weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

W4D2 done-that second 5 min run is torture! Think its partially because i'm not breathing properly when i'm running and i'm getting a stitch during the final run. it goes away once i stop and take two or three deep breaths

Advertisement