Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ros na Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I obviously was aware of the Stephen Fry episode years ago as the media made a big thing of it.
    But I never saw this review/promo about it.

It is gas. Plus really weird to see Tadhg speaking completely as Bearla.

Diarmuid Mac an Adhastair (Séamus MT) was a character in any language.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Some sad news.

I just found out on the show's facebook page that the actor who played Coilin, Tom Sailí Ó Flaithearta, has passed away

branie2 wrote: »
    Some sad news.

I just found out on the show's facebook page that the actor who played Coilin, Tom Sailí Ó Flaithearta, has passed away

Ah jayus he was a fantastic actor. Really brought splanc to the character and made him seem real. I nearly fell over laughing at an old RnR episode where 'Collin' was exercising with bags of sugar. Or the bit where he was going on about the personalities of the little chicks he kept.

You would almost forget he was acting which is the best compliment I pay the man. I believe his niece is Fionnuala Ní Fhlatharta - the woman who plays Berni.

Ah jayus he was a fantastic actor. Really brought splanc to the character and made him seem real. I nearly fell over laughing at an old RnR episode where 'Collin' was exercising with bags of sugar. Or the bit where he was going on about the personalities of the little chicks he kept.

You would almost forget he was acting which is the best compliment I pay the man. I believe his niece is Fionnuala Ní Fhlatharta - the woman who plays Berni.

That's right, she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

R.I.P. Tom (Coilin)

I wonder what Brian will do next....he is pure phsyco....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭maureencol

I'm thinking that after Bernie breaks up with him, she finds out she is pregnant because he lied to her about the vasectomy. That's got to play in here somewhere. And he will probably stalk her since he seems to be such a psycho.

Spoiler Alert:

Enjoyed that last one secondary storyline of Padraig and Fiach with the Tips was funny and realistic.

I thought it was clever the way they sort of used Vanessa (Sorcha Fox) in place of the viewer to tease out info from people Berni/Bobbi/ Lee Niall putting two and two together. For an obvious 'show down'.

Sorcha Fox's character had a similar role as the 'link' character between storylines back in the 90's She always was 'in the know'. She is turning into 'Maire 2.0' now though getting all the gossip as the 'auld wan' and wise old head.

Enjoyed that last one secondary storyline of Padraig and Fiach with the Tips was funny and realistic.

I thought it was clever the way they sort of used Vanessa (Sorcha Fox) in place of the viewer to tease out info from people Berni/Bobbi/ Lee Niall putting two and two together. For an obvious 'show down'.

Sorcha Fox's character had a similar role as the 'link' character between storylines back in the 90's She always was 'in the know'. She is turning into 'Maire 2.0' now though getting all the gossip as the 'auld wan' and wise old head.

I was trying to figure out why Vanessa was so interested in Andy and Bobbi Lee and their son? Is there a history with her and Andy?

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I was trying to figure out why Vanessa was so interested in Andy and Bobbi Lee and their son? Is there a history with her and Andy?

Not that I know of. The impression I got is she does not think much of Bobbi Lee. Is terrified of Andy coming back and is protective of Berni.

I think the idea (from what I took from it) is that they were foreshadowing that Nathan will draw Andy back to Bobbi Lee/Berni and get Vanessa caught up in somehow? Particularly how Vanessa is still close to Niall - who Andy hates.

Part of me thought that Andy could kill/injure Vanessa (because she has been in RnR ages and is only a peripheral character now)

I might be way wrong but that is where I thought it was going.

At the end she said is there any danger Andy would come back to Ros Na Run?

• Advertisement

After watching today's episode. I forgot the flipping obvious. Vanessa's grandson is Liam Óg and Vanessa wants to remove Bobbi Lee from the orbit of Niall because of that. As there is the constant link with Andy. Plus she views Nathan as a danger because of the Andy link. And also a threat to Berni.

Judging by the camera close up Vanessa is up to something. Because if I have learnt anything from watching RnR (besides the 'cúpla focal') a camera zoom in on a character means there is something brewing!

After watching today's episode. I forgot the flipping obvious. Vanessa's grandson is Liam Óg and Vanessa wants to remove Bobbi Lee from the orbit of Niall because of that. As there is the constant link with Andy. Plus she views Nathan as a danger because of the Andy link. And also a threat to Berni.

Judging by the camera close up Vanessa is up to something. Because if I have learnt anything from watching RnR (besides the 'cúpla focal') a camera zoom in on a character means there is something brewing!

She is definately up to something for sure! Even the fact that twice she said "I'm not here to ruin the wedding" or something to that effect....so what is she here for...definately up to something

And I believe she was dating Andy at one point

branie2 wrote: »
    And I believe she was dating Andy at one point

Ah sure, they all do the circuit in Ros Na Run. There is never much of a pool to choose from.

I had to laugh at the older episodes back in the 90's Seán Brennan (then head of the Radio Pobail) was basically involved with every available woman that was on screen.

The two Donegal sisters (Áine and Sïle), a Kerry woman (Ali), and Galway woman (Catriona) who is now current head of the Radio station.
    He got a few scenes where he got to do that 'eyebrow raise' to camera.

Mack is now basically 'Seán 2.0'.

In very recent times. He has had two Donegal sisters (Dee and Katy - a RnR tradition?), a loose chemist (Emma), and even a normally very reserved Radio Pobail - Radio assistant (Sonia) throwing herself at him.

And naturally he got to do that 'Seán Brennan-esque' eyebrow raise to camera a fair few times. That last one would have made Sean Connery proud nevermind Seán Brennan!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭maureencol

"And I believe she was dating Andy at one point"

I don't think so. She came from Dublin with her father back in the old episodes and Andy was not around at all then. She was with Robbie back then. Unless there were later episodes that I missed.

Very interesting episode tonight. Is that Caolfhoinn Imelda's daughter? What is her connection with Fiach I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I somehow had a feeling imelda had another daughter, I don't know where I got the idea. If Eric is her father she might know the story about Mack and Dee already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Long time listener, first time caller.

I watched Ros na Rún on and off for the past few years depending on if I was working in the country.

Would someone enlighten me to who is Vanessa and who are her relations :)

Míle Buíochas

F.nelson wrote: »
    Long time listener, first time caller.

I watched Ros na Rún on and off for the past few years depending on if I was working in the country.

Would someone enlighten me to who is Vanessa and who are her relations :)

Míle Buíochas

Vanessa is a long time RnR character she was in RnR since the 90's

https://rosnarun.com/vanessa-ui-chonghaile/?lang=en

Plenty of old RnR episodes Vanessa's character appeared in the second season of the show way back in 1997.

(Moved to Carraigstown - Fair City the odd time :D
    Plus Sorcha Fox who plays Vanessa is now a screenwriter on RnR as well)

Bringing up to date with her current situation she has a very complicated relationship with Niall.

Niall was her former partner. But her daughter Fia seduced Niall after plying him with drink. A son was the result. Which is Vanessa's grandson called Liam Óg. Vanessa could not stay in a relationship with Niall after she found out what Fia did. Fia later expressed her profound regret to her mother.

Niall, Fia and Vanessa remain cordial now after patching things up. But the suspicion is Vanessa still has a fondness for Niall deep down.

Which is part of the reason why the current situation is so tense and complicated.

As Niall is taking care of Liam Óg as Fia has fecked off touring the world with a load of money she and a vagabond called Pól found.

Fia was basically fed up of being tied down as a single mother. As it was hampering her ambitions in life like starting her own online fashion company.
    It died because she had to take care of her child.

Fia has not been seen since. But according to promos is due a comeback.
    The cover story of Fia's absence told by Niall to the village is that she is studying fashion abroad to stop people asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Vanessa is a long time RnR character she was in RnR since the 90's

https://rosnarun.com/vanessa-ui-chonghaile/?lang=en

Plenty of old RnR episodes Vanessa's character appeared in the second season of the show way back in 1997.

(Moved to Carraigstown - Fair City the odd time :D
    Plus Sorcha Fox who plays Vanessa is now a screenwriter on RnR as well)

Bringing up to date with her current situation she has a very complicated relationship with Niall.

Niall was her former partner. But her daughter Fia seduced Niall after plying him with drink. A son was the result. Which is Vanessa's grandson called Liam Óg. Vanessa could not stay in a relationship with Niall after she found out what Fia did. Fia later expressed her profound regret to her mother.

Niall, Fia and Vanessa remain cordial now after patching things up. But the suspicion is Vanessa still has a fondness for Niall deep down.

Which is part of the reason why the current situation is so tense and complicated.

As Niall is taking care of Liam Óg as Fia has fecked off touring the world with a load of money she and a vagabond called Pól found.

Fia was basically fed up of being tied down as a single mother. As it was hampering her ambitions in life like starting her own online fashion company.
    It died because she had to take care of her child.

Fia has not been seen since. But according to promos is due a comeback.
    The cover story of Fia's absence told by Niall to the village is that she is studying fashion abroad to stop people asking questions.

Brilliant thanks. That post has literally filled me in to everything that was confusing me. Especially how she was Liam Óg's grandmother but Bobbi Lee was having a wobbler about her trying to steal Niall

• Advertisement

This new character (O'Sé's other daughter) Caoilfhionn seems like a great addition plenty of life in her.

Echoes of early RnR when Mack was the wild child of the local guard. Who drives the parent to despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭maurv2

I used to look at Ros na Run up to about 5 years ago, then sort of drifted away from it. Just started having a peep now and again recently.

One thing that sticks out is there doesn't seem to be any sign of coveid 19 at all in it. Is that correct or did I just happen to look when it wasn't to the fore in any form or fashion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

maurv2 wrote: »
    I used to look at Ros na Run up to about 5 years ago, then sort of drifted away from it. Just started having a peep now and again recently.

One thing that sticks out is there doesn't seem to be any sign of coveid 19 at all in it. Is that correct or did I just happen to look when it wasn't to the fore in any form or fashion :)

No Covid in Ros na Run, not been mentioned at all. Obviousy been filmed with social distancing. It's quite a relief actually compared to Fair City in which they wear masks, but can go to the pub, and work as if there was no Covid.

I thought the last time Charlie was in it, it was revealed that she had broken up with Alex. Did they sort things out? I seem to have a very short term memory!

I thought the last time Charlie was in it, it was revealed that she had broken up with Alex. Did they sort things out? I seem to have a very short term memory!

I can't remember if Alex and Charlie are still together. But I do remember Charlie was leaning on Colm a lot and wanted him to get to know the baby. Which was in breach of the unwritten agreement Colm, Mo and Charlie agreed between each other.
    If I remember correctly Charlie had a change of heart feeling sorry for Mo/Colm when she was going to have a baby celebration thing for 'Colm's baby'.

But bluffed that those who made the cake got the gender of the baby wrong, at the very last minute. To keep the secret from getting out.

Maybe they broke up some time ago

Fia's character is one I would like to see fall hard. When you think of her entire background all her own problems were of her own making. An extremely selfish character always looking out for herself. Liam Óg was only created as a result of her own nastiness and vindictiveness. Now suddenly she views him as almost a 'prize' which she can uproot when she choses. And still has the gall to feel self-pity when the little fella does not recognise her. Again all about her when it comes down to it.

I don't really get the Vanessa/Fia dynamic. It seems a bit unbelievable that it would heal to such an extent that Vanessa would be on her side.

A far more credible storyline would be that Vanessa wanted to take Liam Óg to raise herself. Based on the threats from Andy and could justifiably claim that Fia is an unfit mother from a social services angle.

Fia's character is one I would like to see fall hard. When you think of her entire background all her own problems were of her own making. An extremely selfish character always looking out for herself. Liam Óg was only created as a result of her own nastiness and vindictiveness. Now suddenly she views him as almost a 'prize' which she can uproot when she choses. And still has the gall to feel self-pity when the little fella does not recognise her. Again all about her when it comes down to it.

I don't really get the Vanessa/Fia dynamic. It seems a bit unbelievable that it would heal to such an extent that Vanessa would be on her side.

A far more credible storyline would be that Vanessa wanted to take Liam Óg to raise herself. Based on the threats from Andy and could justifiably claim that Fia is an unfit mother from a social services angle.

Fia reminds me of Carmel in the old series. Just expecting everyone else to mind her child for her while she swans around living her best life.

Fia reminds me of Carmel in the old series. Just expecting everyone else to mind her child for her while she swans around living her best life.

Exactly! I have definitely noticed a pattern. Today's writers have to be going back through the old episodes looking for ideas and a character arc that has been done before.

• Advertisement

I'm happy for Fia that she got the job

Advertisement