Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will this laptop charger destroy my system?

• 09-03-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi, I just got a new laptop charger off eBay, but I just compared the specifications on it with those of the old charger. Everything seems to be the same, except for one figure.

AC Adapter Model: PA-1700-02
    Input: 100-240 V~ 1.8A 50-60Hz
    Output: 19V 3.42A

The input value listed as 1.8A is actually 1.5A on my old charger. This seems to be a relatively large difference between the two, so I'm worried that something might happen if I attempt to use it.

I couldn't find anywhere that sold this kind of charger - PC World didn't have any either - so I just tried eBay. In the description for the item, all the figures it listed matched exactly those on the old charger. In addition, the item's title and description had the model of my laptop in it. As a result, I didn't see anything particularly wrong with ordering from there, and I really need my laptop for college, so I figured it was my best option.

Now, I don't really know much about this sort of thing, but my first instincts would be that the differing input values wouldn't really matter or affect my laptop, but that a differing output value would have an effect. Surely, if 3.42A is going into the laptop from the AC adapter, then the size of the charge going into it is irrelevant, right? Again, I haven't really much of a notion about this sort of thing, I'm merely guessing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The output is what you're concerned with. It must by equal in voltage, and equal or greater in max current rating (A).

The input current (1.8A) just means the PSU has the potential to draw that amount of current from the wall. It doesnt effect your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

What voodoo said is right

its more the output value that you should be concerned with

3.42A should be higher than what the laptop needs

if the laptop was using 3.7A then the adapter would fail, if its using 2A or anything under 3.4A then theres no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Excellent! Thanks very much for your help!

Advertisement