Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops from America

• 07-03-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all,

My laptop is on its last legs, and with my Mam & Dad heading to Florida in two weeks, I was wondering does anyone now if they are cheaper to buy over there? Is there any particular brand that is easy to find there or is pretty much the same as this side of the Atlantic. Also is there any specifications need to make sure it works here!

Basically any info anyone has on buying laptops in the US would be really appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Hi. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm just back from 3 weeks in Florida and I was on the lookout for a laptop. No great variance in the prices from Ireland I'm afraid. There were some models on special offer but they were low spec. Home Office Depot had some reasonable offers.

A friend even brought me to Costco (a wholesaler [Like Musgraves] where you need a card to gain entry). Even their special offers only equalled Irish prices when you added the sales tax.

PC World are currently running specials on laptops. They have a HP G70 120 Intel Core 2 at 2ghz. 3gb ram and Blue Ray. €699. Looks a good deal.

The Medion laptop recently on sale at ALDI was a super spec machine. I'd have bought one but I was annoyed that the same machine was on sale €100 cheaper in the UK. I'm waiting to see what their next offer will be.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

check the General Info Sticky at the top of the forum for my post on Yanktops :)

Dell Studios are in good fashion, as are HP Pavillions, and its hard to go too wrong with either. With HP though its a little tougher to find warranty services in Ireland - Dell ones should transfer over very smoothly though unless anyone can object to that statement.

Don't be suckered into anything with a Rebate - such things will make you go blind on paperwork. And don't buy a store service plan. Actually, just stay the fcuk away from Best Buy. They're animals.

Sales tax CAN be negated if you are travelling back out of the country though - remember to ask for a Tax...thingy. What are they called? Ive never used one. But when my brother bought stuff in Clare he asked for them all the time and got VAT back as cash when he went home.

I'd tell you to go to a private brick and mortar shop for their cheaper custom builds but warranties are an issue with those, so try to stick to mainstream brands with locations in western europe. And with big chains (BestBuy) they will try and rob you with Store Service Plans and Rebates that will never get filed, etc. so your best bet is to shop online NOW at Dell.com or any of those major websites, find out what you want, how long it will take to ship and find out where they will be staying in Florida. If you are going to be visiting family its better to have it waiting for them when they get there, as sometimes (though rarely) certain makes and models will take longer to ship than others, so from the time you order it could be at there doorstep in 3 days or 6 weeks. The website will let you know before you place the order if it will take a gross amount of time though - usually because they dont have a part in stock or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Laptops arent cheaper in the US.

Go to Northern Ireland, you'll save about €150 on any laptop you buy.

Advertisement