Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I get both FreeSat HD and Saorview HD on Samsung "SMART" TV

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    This one has been doing my head in the past 2 days since getting a new Samsung SMART TV – F6740. It has both Sat and DTT tuners built in but during setup you must choose which country you are in.
    Basically I want to have all of
    • RTE1/2 HD on the aeriel
    • BBC 1/2 HD on the satellite
    • 7 day EPG on both satellite and Saorview
    It seems after hours of searching and experimenting that at the end of it all with this TV you basically have two options
    1. Choose UK and enter postcode to get HD Freesat with 7day EPG and standard definition SaorView with 7 day EPG
    OR
    2. Choose Ireland as Country to get Satellite with only Now/Next functionality and no BBC HD channels and HD Saorview with 7 day EPG
    Am I wrong??? Please say yes!
    Is it possible to get 7 day EPG functionality on Freesat and 7 day EPG HD Saorview at the same time? How?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Answered in terrestrial section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

They say a picture is worth a thousand words .

There have been numerous threads asking about these tv's so here are photos of an LG 575V but they are all the same.

Picture one shows the Channel list after editing to match Freesat Numbers. This takes a while as you will have a list of about 350 channels after you scan.

Picture Two shows the satellite guide. Seems to work on most BBC channels.

Picture Three shows the screen when you press the input button on the remote. Notice that you do not see the antenna symbol. You have to press the blue button, bottom right on the remote to bring up the box that allows you to switch to the antenna. This is really stupid and works the opposite way if watching Saorview.

Picture Four is the Saorview EPG.

In FreeSat mode you should get the full 7day EPG and it will not allow you to edit channel numbers. What you show in the LG images appears to be non-FreeSat /FTA mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

In FreeSat mode you should get the full 7day EPG and it will not allow you to edit channel numbers. What you show in the LG images appears to be non-FreeSat /FTA mode.

There is no Freesat Mode on that TV, I have one, it's just got a basic DTV tuner, not FreeSat, and the pic shows a good attempt at making/editing a Channel list to reflect FreeSat channel numbering.....must do that myself. :)

There is also a On Now feature, which works pretty well in Sat mode, and gives as much info as you could need for programs, I think it's a Smart function, which is internet based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

If you read the post you would see

"Picture one shows the Channel list after editing to match Freesat Numbers"

• Advertisement

OP is looking to use Samsung smart FreeSat TV

OP is looking to use Samsung smart FreeSat TV

You're right Gerry!!

Sorry....

that was a good answer you linked earlier:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057132237/1/#post88632382

@irishpancake
    No problem, I got caught by the same thing with a Sammy. Needless to say I went for the FreeSat option and just re-jigged Saorview numbers to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shug02

Got it sorted folks. Thanks very much.

choose UK as location and entering s NI postcode.
    select Freesat instead of Satellite as Aeriel.
    Then autotune ariel and HD saorview channels do appear numbered in the 800s.
    7 day EPGs on both Freesat and Saorview

shug02 wrote: »

Grand.....a good solution!!!

Now, if only my LG Smart TV had the Freesat EPG, I'd be laffin....

Thinking seriously of getting a cheap Freesat HD box, just for that??

Like this yolk, at £50 quid????

www.t3.com/reviews/manhattan-plaza-hd-s2-review

• Advertisement

shug02 wrote: »

It should be possible to re-number the Saorview channels any way you wish. On my set when in Saorview mode, go into Smart Hub>Channels> highlight the channel name>press tools>edit number and enter required number.
    Like most things on these TVs it is feckin' awkward:(

Advertisement