Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back Garden flooding

• 21-08-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I have had a look through the posts and haven't seen anything that would help me so I am hoping someone out there will be able..

I bought my house 5 years ago and since then my back garden has been flooding. I have called the builder several times and he dismisses it as "unusual heavy rain". Last week I came home to water flowing into my garden from the farmer's field behind us like a stream. The garden is ruined yet again. Its not due to heavy rain but more because there is nothing stopping the water flowing into our garden from outside. The builder put up fences instead of a wall behind our house and 7 others but everyone else has a wall. Who is to blame - the builder ? The county council? the farmer?

Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

A wall won't prevent flooding, water will seep through.
    Who's to blame? Council and builder.
    How to fix it? Drainage, soak holes, money, money, money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

It shouldn't cost too much to deal with the problem but I think it should be dealt with sooner rather than later. If water is flowing off the neighbouring land and ponding around your house it is likely that eventually it will start affecting the structure of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nicecritic

Thank you both. I called the council but they said the estate does not belong to them ?! :( I suppose I'll go back to the builder again...

We already put a soak pit in the garden but the water flows in so fast and so much of it that it doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

nicecritic wrote: »
    I called the council but they said the estate does not belong to them ?
    I meant the council are to blame for allowing building without proper plans for surface water drainage.

You'll probably have to get a surveyor out, see if there's anywhere the water can be drained off to and whats involved in getting it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Coles wrote: »
    If water is flowing off the neighbouring land and ponding around your house it is likely that eventually it will start affecting the structure of the house.
    :eek::eek:

Scare reply of the year that imo.:D

If the house is only 5 years old visit the planning office and see what was supposed to be built there on the grant of permission. If it is a fence then builder/developer has done no wrong.

Unless the topography of the (adjacent) site justified specific action, it is highly unlikely that the council would require proprietary treatment of surface water runoff.

Have you approached the farmer to discuss? Have you the space to provide for a soakpit. If so, lay a land drain across your boundary and dispose into a new soakpit. That solution if possible would be relatively cheap and easy, with minimal disruption.

• Advertisement
Advertisement