Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry Diamonds?

Options
  • 07-04-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Sometime in the early 19th century a white diamond was found in a Kerry river, it was given to queen Victoria and to this day is engraved on a crown dedicated to her...

There is an old mine just outside tralee that once produced Kerry diamonds...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Sometime in the early 19th century a white diamond was found in a Kerry river, it was given to queen Victoria and to this day is engraved on a crown dedicated to her...

There is an old mine just outside tralee that once produced Kerry diamonds...

Interesting, where did you read/hear about that?

I can confirm that Kerry Diamonds are actually quartz crystals. They are found in the tension gashes that occur in the sandstone rock that make up the Kerry coastline.

I can more of less say actually diamonds have never been found in Ireland and mostly likely never will be as we don't have the types of rocks that diamonds occur in (kimberlites).

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Step23 wrote: »
    Interesting, where did you read/hear about that?

I can confirm that Kerry Diamonds are actually quartz crystals. They are found in the tension gashes that occur in the sandstone rock that make up the Kerry coastline.

I can more of less say actually diamonds have never been found in Ireland and mostly likely never will be as we don't have the types of rocks that diamonds occur in (kimberlites).

Stephen

Great to talk to someone who knows there stuff...

Are kerry diamonds good quartz crystals.. Are they any different to other quartz crystals around the world...

Have found some beautiful ones in different colours, pink, green and some with black running through them.. its interesting because its along the sea shore i find them...

Kerry Diamonds, from what I've seen are generally well formed quartz crystals, they are clear, well terminated, and can be several cm long. The tension gashes they formed in were large enough for the crystals to develop into well formed crystals. Kerry (especially Dingle) would probably be one of the best locations in Ireland for quartz.

The crystals you find are probably from where cliffs containing them have collapsed.

The green colour you mention is actually another mineral which formed with the quartz, this is Chlorite. Again the pink colour is due to another mineral present, hematite (iron oxide). Sometimes you get Kerry Diamonds with a yellowish coating of iron oxide, I use oxalic acid to remove this.

Stephen

Kerry Diamonds, from what I've seen are generally well formed quartz crystals, they are clear, well terminated, and can be several cm long. The tension gashes they formed in were large enough for the crystals to develop into well formed crystals. Kerry (especially Dingle) would probably be one of the best locations in Ireland for quartz.

The crystals you find are probably from where cliffs containing them have collapsed.

The green colour you mention is actually another mineral which formed with the quartz, this is Chlorite. Again the pink colour is due to another mineral present, hematite (iron oxide). Sometimes you get Kerry Diamonds with a yellowish coating of iron oxide, I use oxalic acid to remove this.

Stephen

Are they used any type of jewellery making??

There lovely stones... Whats the black in them??

I've seen some crystals which are gem quality, so in theory they could be cut into gem stones.

Yes, they are quite attractive, I haven't had the fortune of actually collecting any, just have cleaned and cataloged them and seen some in private collections.

I'm not sure what the black inclusions are, perhaps one of the minerals I mentioned already? In Herkimer, New York, you get "Herkimer Diamonds" again these a well formed double terminated quartz crystals, the quartz here is included with black material which is actually hydrocarbons.

• Advertisement

Was out again today searching found some very big crystals and some very small ones...

Smaller ones seem to be a lot clearer, is there a way of cleaning them?

Was out again today searching found some very big crystals and some very small ones...

Smaller ones seem to be a lot clearer, is there a way of cleaning them?

Quartz is quite a robust mineral, so a good scrubbing brush, warm water, and some washing up liquid should work and won't do any damage.

Stephen

Quartz is quite a robust mineral, so a good scrubbing brush, warm water, and some washing up liquid should work and won't do any damage.

Stephen

Your the man steve thanks for your help..

No problem!

Would be great if you could post some pictures of what you've been finding!

Stephen

No problem!

Would be great if you could post some pictures of what you've been finding!

Stephen

Will do, what about polishing them up?? Sandpaper??

• Advertisement

Will do, what about polishing them up?? Sandpaper??

It would take a lot of sanding to polish them, as quartz is around the same hardness as sandpaper (quartz is 7 on the mohs scale of hardness, which would be similar or higher to sandpaper, depending what the sandpaper is made from) it would also be quite labour intensive and you wouldn't end up with a smooth finish! Also sanding them has the risk of you creating a fine silica dust, which you wouldn't want to be inhaling! (I wear a dust respirator anytime I'm cutting quartz with a grinder). You'd ideally need a rock tumbler for polishing your quartz, it takes weeks though or so I've heard, but a good option if you want to make jewelery or have some polished stones! You can buy tumblers on ebay etc

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Stephen

Not true I'm afraid. The Brookeborough diamond of Northern Ireland proves diamonds can be found in Ireland.

As a teen, I met a Canadian geologist testing and prospecting on Croghan Hill, Co Offaly for diamonds. Its a volcanic plug that went dormant in the Carboniferous period.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Not true I'm afraid. The Bolbrooke diamond of Northern Ireland proves diamonds can be found in Ireland.

As a teen, I met a Canadian geologist testing and prospecting on Croghan Hill, Co Offaly for diamonds. Its a volcanic plug that went dormant in the Carboniferous period.

Can you link me to any papers published on this? I remember being at a talk a few years back on whether diamonds could be found in Ireland or not, there was one possible spot where there had been prospecting in Donegal or NI, but as far as I remember, nothing was found.

Stephen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Prospecting is one thing, finding is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

slowburner wrote: »
    Prospecting is one thing, finding is another.

Very much like research, my man. Its all about the 'find'.

" In 1995 the British Geological Survey reported that the potential for a diamond discovery in Northern Ireland is good. Two reports from the Journal of the Royal Geological Society of Ireland refer to the 1816 discovery of the Brookeborough diamond in the Colebrooke River of Co. Fermanagh. The stone was presented to Lady Brooke and inspected by several jewellers in Dublin, who confirmed the stone to be a diamond."
    http://www.bgs.ac.uk/gsni/minerals/prospectivity/diamonds/

Edit. I remember now. I wasn't a teen as I had ridden to Croghan Hill on a H100S. I was 23 and it was 1996. Same Canadian company as mentioned in above link, I imagine.

Very much like research, my man. Its all about the 'find'.

" In 1995 the British Geological Survey reported that the potential for a diamond discovery in Northern Ireland is good. Two reports from the Journal of the Royal Geological Society of Ireland refer to the 1816 discovery of the Brookeborough diamond in the Colebrooke River of Co. Fermanagh. The stone was presented to Lady Brooke and inspected by several jewellers in Dublin, who confirmed the stone to be a diamond."
    http://www.bgs.ac.uk/gsni/minerals/prospectivity/diamonds/

Edit. I remember now. I wasn't a teen as I had ridden to Croghan Hill on a H100S. I was 23 and it was 1996. Same Canadian company as mentioned in above link, I imagine.

Very interesting! Thanks for providing the info!

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KerryGems

Great to talk to someone who knows there stuff...

Have found some beautiful ones in different colours, pink, green and some with black running through them.. its interesting because its along the sea shore i find them...

Where are you finding them? Around Ballyheigue?
    I`ll be doing a small collection of different types of rocks, minerals and fossils from North Kerry for a local museum. We would appreciate your help find them.

KerryGems wrote: »
    Where are you finding them? Around Ballyheigue?
    I`ll be doing a small collection of different types of rocks, minerals and fossils from North Kerry for a local museum. We would appreciate your help find them.

They are found all along the dingle peninsula, again i know absolutely noting really about the science side of it just a few places you can find them..

Advertisement