Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Panel 2008

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Yes, Guest presenters are for the most part terrible, Colin Murphy has become unusually quiet and Neil Delamare does far too much talking.

The only which could save it would to be bring back Dara, but I imagine if they could have done that already they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Coincidentally, while wrapping pressies tonight, I was going through some old recorded shows on Sky+ that I hadn't watched yet. I watched 4 episodes of The Panel Uncut back to back (when good old Dara O'Briain was at the helm). I laughed my bloody ass off. Absolutely brilliant. Makes you realise how shockingly bad the current series is in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Yeah Its not as funny as it was, I always mute the tv when the guest comes on, I still love Maxwell, Murphy and Delamere on it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lovinit wrote: »
    Yeah Its not as funny as it was, I always mute the tv when the guest comes on, I still love Maxwell, Murphy and Delamere on it

Often the guest can be good the only problem lies with the Panel who all seem to think that they are funnier and more interesting then the guest. The interview with James Cromwell (LA Confidental) was dreadful but James was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

The format is just wearing thin, especially since O Briain left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

^have to agree with passenger! When Dara left the standard dropped dramatically! Also the women on that show are shocking, just there for some good sight seeing imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Thers absolutely nothing spontaneous on that show, the whole thing is so obviously scripted and is that laughter of the canned variety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

It has been awful since Dara O' Briain left, which coincidentally or not was about the time that Andrew Maxwell became a regular fixture on the show. I just find him incredibely irritating. Then you have Ed Byrne whose still doing his same routine from about ten years ago, Neil Delamere whose best material was wrote for him by Lotto, any female comic is just patently unfunny (thought at least not hitting the lows of the Geri Maye days), Colin Murphy whose stint as presenter has diminished his ability to be funny, and that annoyin lad frm Liverpool who does be on at times. If rumours are to be believed then Ardal O' Hanlon is taking over as regular host, which should be a wee bit better anyway. I'd like to see Sean Moncrief take over though, revive some of that old Don't Feed The Gondolas magic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Then you have Ed Byrne whose still doing his same routine from about ten years ago,
    When was the last time you actually watched the Panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Mrs Doyle did a good job the other night I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pity they had 2 very poor guests on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hardrain wrote: »
    Mrs Doyle did a good job the other night I think.
    I thought she was woeful tbh. One thing I thought she did well was shutting Maxwell up before he went off on a tangent early on. But then he managed to go off on another one later on in the show.

The guests were rubbish too. As soon as the Dollar guy started feeling up Aoibheann, I had to fast forward. By the time the second guest had waffled on for a couple of minutes I could take no more and turned it off.

I think they need a regular host who's actually good. HIGNFY manages to do well with guest presenters, but it is heavily scripted. The Panel is not. HIGNFY also has an auto-queue with notes as backup. The Panel only has notes, causing the host to constantly look at their desk rather than their audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The Panel uses an autocue; I was sitting beside the camera during a recording so I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Well at least we know now that Dara will never be back, if they couldnt get him back for the Christmas special. In fairness Pauline was probably the best host so far (but still wasnt quite good enough). Although if they must insist of a female panelist it should be Pauline.

I was also thinking of possible hosts. Obviously Sean Moncreif would be perfect but I cant see him doing it. So how both RTE try and get Jimmy Carr in?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

McLynn was very good compared to recent stand-in hosts, although having been a former regular on the show she would be more familar with the format than some of the other guest hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Really does seem as though with each passing week this season The Panel sinks to new lows. That 'special' was awful - nothing good from it whatsoever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Thought Maxwell would never stop with that impression of a black guy recycling,must have went on for all of 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

legendal wrote: »
    Really does seem as though with each passing week this season The Panel sinks to new lows. That 'special' was awful - nothing good from it whatsoever.

It is funny how this was what created The Panel, a New Year's Eve show looking back on the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ketih barry going on about how much better he was the chris angel was awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement