Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

:THURSDAY 06/03/2008 14:20:26

Tributes paid to Newcastle West solicitor

Tributes have been paid today at a County Limerick Court to a 2 time All-Ireland medal winner who died yesterday.

Gary McMahon, a solicitor from Newcastle West was also a well known Sean Nos singer and author.

The judge described him as a man of many talents.
    Before getting proceedings underway at Judge Mary O`Halloran called on the court to observe a minutes silence to remember their late colleague.

She described Gary McMahon as an excellent advocate for his clients, a talented composer and author and a Sean Nos Singer who imbued all things good in our culture and traditions.

Mr McMahon won two All Ireland Football Medals in 1959 and 62 and is believed to have the record for the fastest ever goal scored in an All-Ireland Final.

Originally from Listowel, he moved to Newcastlewest in 1961 with his wife Joan to practice as a solicitor.
    State Solicitor Aidan judge said he employed high standards and was a superb colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

:THURSDAY 06/03/2008 14:20:26

Tributes paid to Newcastle West solicitor

Tributes have been paid today at a County Limerick Court to a 2 time All-Ireland medal winner who died yesterday.

Gary McMahon, a solicitor from Newcastle West was also a well known Sean Nos singer and author.

The judge described him as a man of many talents.
    Before getting proceedings underway at Judge Mary O`Halloran called on the court to observe a minutes silence to remember their late colleague.

She described Gary McMahon as an excellent advocate for his clients, a talented composer and author and a Sean Nos Singer who imbued all things good in our culture and traditions.

Mr McMahon won two All Ireland Football Medals in 1959 and 62 and is believed to have the record for the fastest ever goal scored in an All-Ireland Final.

Originally from Listowel, he moved to Newcastlewest in 1961 with his wife Joan to practice as a solicitor.
    State Solicitor Aidan judge said he employed high standards and was a superb colleague.

Sadness envelopes with the news of Gary MacMahon's ( RIP) death.

His Mass in Gaelic at St. Mary's Church, Listowel in August 2000 was a memorable opening to that weekend of the reunion of St. Michael's College & Presentation Convent men & women of years circa 1962 in Listowel.

Memorably also for me, he was to sing from the stage of the Plaza at the launching of a book about his father, Bryan, at the Listowel Writers' Week 2005.
    Who knew then that his voice would be silenced so soon?.

" Fear no more the heat of the sun...".

Church Newsletter

For those interested in his football career.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/farmleader/Sideline-View---.3870617.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

Beannactai Na Feile

• Advertisement

Newsletter St Patrick's Day March 15th

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Many thanks Lovely Writer for bringing that article to our notice. An excellent piece. On a similar note, if anyone missed Cyril Kelly's evocative item in last week's "Sunday Miscellany", you can hear it again at:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/sundaymiscellany/1190709.html
    Again a lovely piece of writing. It is followed by Garry himself singing his own composition "The Hills Around Listowel". If that doesn't bring at least a hint of a tear to the eyes of you who lived in the town at or about those times, I'll be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

"May the Road rise up to meet you May the Wind be always at your back May the Sun shine warm upon your face May the Rain fall soft upon you fields And until we meet again ........ May God hold you in the palm of his Hands."

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Many thanks Lovely Writer for bringing that article to our notice. An excellent piece. On a similar note, if anyone missed Cyril Kelly's evocative item in last week's "Sunday Miscellany", you can hear it again at:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/sundaymiscellany/1190709.html
    Again a lovely piece of writing. It is followed by Garry himself singing his own composition "The Hills Around Listowel". If that doesn't bring at least a hint of a tear to the eyes of you who lived in the town at or about those times, I'll be very surprised.

Thank you. I enjoyed that. Truly a gem!

Now to St Patrick on the streets of Listowel a day early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Wishing all a happy St Patricks day.
    Regards.

Price of a Pint !

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Regards.

Price of a Pint !

From Phoenix, AZ. to Listowel and its scattered chromosomes.

I listened to the programme, Sunday Miscellany to which John Granville referred above. I would recommend it to anyone. The writing and the singing are brilliant examples of North Kerry traditions.

Thank you John.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Regards.

Price of a Pint !

I will call you

Newsletter

This what I read tonight in the short notes in the Kerryman Online

1. Gardaí shut down brothel
    2. Burglars target churches
    3. Man died after taking cocaine
    4. Savage thugs brutally beat Polish man
    5. Man stabbed with bottle in savage attack
    6. Drunk, drugged youths create hell for taxis

Then on top of that the Murders in Moyvane. Is there any control anymore. I live in a suburb North West of Toronto a very Multicultural Community with a population of 425,000 and nothing like this senseless crime very rarely happens. Is there anything being done to stop all this mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

May I suggest you stop reading the Kerryman. It's obviously not agreeing with you in your wonderful land of nod. Canucks how are ye.

This what I read tonight in the short notes in the Kerryman Online

1. Gardaí shut down brothel
    2. Burglars target churches
    3. Man died after taking cocaine
    4. Savage thugs brutally beat Polish man
    5. Man stabbed with bottle in savage attack
    6. Drunk, drugged youths create hell for taxis

Then on top of that the Murders in Moyvane. Is there any control anymore. I live in a suburb North West of Toronto a very Multicultural Community with a population of 425,000 and nothing like this senseless crime very rarely happens. Is there anything being done to stop all this mayhem.

I am not a Canuck, born in Listowel went to St. Micks there etc.....an Upper William St. man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

No offence meant, Bob Dylan Fan - canuck not a demeaning term. Good to hear from a townie!

Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

kerryview wrote: »
    No offence meant, Bob Dylan Fan - canuck not a demeaning term. Good to hear from a townie!

I do not think that Bob Dylan Fan is trying to say that he is living in a "wonderful land of nod"- he is simply lamenting the current state of affairs in Ireland. "The Kerryman" and other newspapers are just reporting the news.

Newsletter

Newsletter

Hi All, Fill me in where is PAT KENNEDY PARK for the soccer is it in the COWS LAWN where Listowel Celtic used to play when I lived there, I was just reading about the International Match between Ireland and Germany

I am not one of the most persons that posts on here ....seems to me life is very quiet on here these days............I usually come on board and just browse without making a comment..............explain...so quiet here...........Is the summer breeze across the Feale River stopped the locals on there tracks.....this is quiet scary.......has the town of Lovely Listowel been invaded by " The Body Snatchers"....aliens have invaded my town. I am siting here into the we hours of the morning in Canada 25C outside downing a few wee cans of GUINNESS and thinking about my old live back there.....not to long ago in the 70's..........Just wondering where everybody is?.......wheres my " PINT" friend .........is he out there too. Anyway...bless you all fellow townies see you on the other side of tomorrow

Any one in here who stills lives in Listowel I need some info on a person who was a friend of mine in the 70's. I will not mention that persons name on here, but if you want to help me out on this you can send an email to poopsiehorndog@gmail.com and i will fill you in.....and old flame of mine just wondering what she is doing these days thats all....one always wonders...just curious....

Greetings all.
    Have not posted in a while......been a little busy lately.
    Anyway hope all is well in Listowel and you are enjoying fine weather.
    No news to report...Same !@## different day !
    I will now enjoy my Guinness and log off. Maybe Bob Dylan Fan should take the hint !

Yes Price of a Pint I get the Hint.......Are we saying when on Forum..lay off the soup

• Advertisement

Oui Oui !

Advertisement