Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Playoffs 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Indiana have blown their chance now IMO. Think they were 10 or 11 up at the start of the 3rd. They needed to win here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Horrible possession by George Hill when they were down 5, never looked to pass the ball.

I still think its going to 7 games and that Indiana has a chance. Hibbert and West getting in foul trouble was their biggest problem and they couldn't defend James and Wade with those guys off the court.

Udonis Haslem had the easiest job, I think he had 5 fg in the final quarter, 4 of them were wide open after the big two were doubled.

Lebron really showed that hes the best player in the league. 40pts 18boards and 9 assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Lebron and Wade played great games in fairness when they needed to. The foul trouble to Hibbert and West was key alright and fouls in general are a huge thing in this series. When the Heat get in the penalty they can really rack up the points at the free-throw line. Vogel probably made a mistake waiting too long to bring Hibbert & West back in. They came in with 6 or 7 minutes left, and down about 10, and the game was up at that stage. He probably should've thrown the kitchen-sink at it a bit more for this game, because it'll be very hard for them to win a 2nd game on the road. Spoelstra gambled playing Lebron 44 minutes and Wade 41 mins, I wasn't sure they'd hold up, but it worked, maybe Vogel should've gambled more (West played only 28 mins, Hibbert 32).

I think home vs. road advantage is bigger than normal in this series because of how significant the foul aspect is, and how NBA referees tend to call home games. The Heat averaged 33 FTAs in games 1 and 2, and only 23 FTAs in games 3 and 4. You expect this to go back up when they play in Miami, and this'll make it tough for the Pacers to win a 2nd road game. It's not totally lost for them, because Lebron and Wade will still have to play a couple of more great games, and it's not so easy to sustain that. Game 5 tomorrow probably represents the Pacers' best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

If Haslem is hitting that mid range jumper when D Wade and Lebron are getting doubled then all of a sudden the Heat become much harder to beat. He had 4 or 5 big plays in the 4th last night, and really they were the sealers. He only shot something like 42% form the field during the regular season, but in times past he was often deadly from there. For a stretch of about 4-5 mins in the last quarter when haslem hit his huge shots, lebron didnt score and the only other scorer was Wade. He was "picking and popping" rather than just rolling to the basket where the tree himself Hibbert stood.

A word on Lebron and Wade. Both of them showcased there greatness last night. Lebron was only one shy of a triple double, those numbers were scary- 40-19-9... Although Lebron was clearly exceptional, I thought Wade showed great character in the second half to bounce back, with the spotlight really on him, with his less than stellar play in the last few games as well as in the 1st half.

All in all the Heat have to be pleased, even if bench production is still a major issue. Simply put they dont have enough consistent offensive threats to come in and take the pressure of Wade and Lebron, especially now with Bosh looking like he is out for the rest of the series. Joel Anthony, Dexter Pitmann, Ronny Turiaf, James Jones and even Mike Miller, once an excellent 3 baller seems to have lost his mojo. Still a great victory, but I have a feeling were going to game 7 in this one, for the simple reason that Lebron and Wade arnt going to combine for 70 points, over the next two, in all likelihood.

It has been a great series thus far, and hopefully the Pacers can continue to put on pressure the heat now at home. I cant wait!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lebron is the best player in the league by a mile. The only reason he isn't a 4 time mvp was because of a protest vote last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lebron is the best player in the league by a mile. The only reason he isn't a 4 time mvp was because of a protest vote last year.

He alienated a lot of the vote last year with the move to heat, and his outlandish claims of winning between 6 and 7 titles, but yeah he should have won last year. But the guys who vote(sportwriters and broadcasters) clearly wanted to voice there dissent to the move and the unclassy way he handled the whole departure from Cleveland.

Lest us not forget 97 when Jordan was beaten out of the MVP award when he had 30 points, 5 rebounds and 4 and half assists a game. But its not just his special numbers, that year Jordan led the bulls to a 69-13 without the services of reigning 6th man of the year Toni Kukoc and starting centre Luc Longley. Malone won it that year, and this is no slight on him but most would agree that Jordan simply did more for his team that year, while also leading him him statistically.

Big game at OKC tonight with the Lakers needing a win to stay in it.

I think LA will be very disappointed if they go out here, considering all games bar the first one have been decided by 3 points or less, and in one of those OKC went on a 9-0 run right at the end to sneak home.

I can see OKC winning tonight in another close one to take the series 4-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Though I hate to say it, I can't help but feel slightly sorry for Kobe. He played his arse off in that series and his own individual performances deserved better than a 4-1 loss, but he just couldn't take OKC by himself. It was nice to see Harden so crucial in OKC beating the Lakers, though.

I still have to go with my original pick of OKC for the Western Conference, even though San Antonio are playing out of their skins. The Spurs look the obvious pick but have only had to beat Utah and the Clippers, although they have done so in style. OKC have had a much harder route and Durant has seemed physically incapable of losing when things got tight at the end. Whatever happens though, it's going to be an amazing series. Probably the real Finals as all four in the East look very beatable at the moment (unless Sunday's win is the start of a huge turnaround in Miami).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

leggo wrote: »
    Though I hate to say it, I can't help but feel slightly sorry for Kobe. He played his arse off in that series and his own individual performances deserved better than a 4-1 loss, but he just couldn't take OKC by himself. It was nice to see Harden so crucial in OKC beating the Lakers, though.

I still have to go with my original pick of OKC for the Western Conference, even though San Antonio are playing out of their skins. The Spurs look the obvious pick but have only had to beat Utah and the Clippers, although they have done so in style. OKC have had a much harder route and Durant has seemed physically incapable of losing when things got tight at the end. Whatever happens though, it's going to be an amazing series. Probably the real Finals as all four in the East look very beatable at the moment (unless Sunday's win is the start of a huge turnaround in Miami).

I have a funny feeling that Spurs could give OKC a reality check. However if Durant and Westbrook keep up the form they are in it will be a very tight series.
    I would love to see an OKC/Heat finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

I was just thinking there about how what an amazing job Sam Presti (OKC GM) has done in assembling the Thunder's roster. . This is exactly how you build a winner, and it has nothing to do with market size. He exploited the hell out of an undervalued market (the draft) and ended up with Durant, Westbrook, Harden, & Ibaka...who happen to be his 4 best players. He also smartly stayed away from the overvalued market (free agency) other than to sign role players on the cheap (Sefalosha, Collision).

This is a guy that's understood what the NBA is about since Day One, and deserves to be rewarded for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 stretchtex

If the Thunder plan to rely on perimeter shots in the Spurs series they are in trouble. I don't expect Westbrook to be nearly as productive offensively being that he has to contend with Parker on the other end of the court. Matt Bonner will force one of OKCs bigs from the paint because he can drain it from 3 point land. The Spurs are legitimately 10 deep with their bench. Durant will get his points but they won't come as easy with Leonard and Stephen Jackson guarding him. Spurs went 2-1 vs OKC in the regular season without Ginobli suiting up and in one of those games Parker scored 42 points.
    Spurs in 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NewBoss

Anybody watching Indiani-Miami? Fair play to LeBron for coming through in last night's game, if nothing else it's good to see him do well in the face of such unbelievable negativity. On the other hand, the flagrant fouls are getting out of hand. Hansbrough's (while not that bad looking), probably should be upgraded to a flagrant 2 in retrospect. Haslem's was an out and out cheap shot, one game ban seems appropriate. And Pittman...well there was no fear of him ever playing proper basketball this year, could have caused Stephenson a serious injury. 10 game ban (at least). That none of them were even called flagrant 2's in the game is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

NewBoss wrote: »
    Anybody watching Indiani-Miami? Fair play to LeBron for coming through in last night's game, if nothing else it's good to see him do well in the face of such unbelievable negativity. On the other hand, the flagrant fouls are getting out of hand. Hansbrough's (while not that bad looking), probably should be upgraded to a flagrant 2 in retrospect. Haslem's was an out and out cheap shot, one game ban seems appropriate. And Pittman...well there was no fear of him ever playing proper basketball this year, could have caused Stephenson a serious injury. 10 game ban (at least). That none of them were even called flagrant 2's in the game is crazy

Yeah, Indiana have been playing rough all series and Miami finally said enough is enough and it went too far.
    First two were hard fouls. Wouldn't personally like to see either banned.
    Pittman's foul was nasty though. Should definately get a ban something similar to Bynum got for his foul on Barrea last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Not just LeBron, Wade was also immense. After a shaky Game 3 Wade has stood up and shown his worth.
    I read that he actually had fluid drained from his left knee before Game 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

killwill wrote: »
    Not just LeBron, Wade was also immense. After a shaky Game 3 Wade has stood up and shown his worth.
    I read that he actually had fluid drained from his left knee before Game 3.
    He did. It was to help his elevation to aid his jump shot. Presumably after going 3-28 (or something like that) they pumped the fluid back in for game 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

The Heat really stepped up to the plate last night, really produced.

Finally showed some heart and some fire inside them.

That punk stephenson got exactly what was coming to him as far as I'm concerned, a beatdown.

Granger too, was glad to see him leave after the physicals he had been putting on The King all series.

Heat finally showed they're not just looking to be cinderella at the ball, but can actually be the big bad wolf and blow the house down if necessary.

The team is built on a tripod, but glad to see the supporting cast are willing to rough it up and dish out some heavy shots for their stars. Reminds me of Crosby and the pens, has those meatheads around him willing to take suspensions and dish out belts to protect their crown jewel.

Predicting a Heat - Spurs final.
    Predicting a Heat championship.
    DW and LbJ, we be ballin' baby!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

Definitely agree here. I don't understand the inconsistency of the enforcement of the flagrant rules whatsoever. Haslem's retaliation easily should have been a Flagrant 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

insanity50 wrote: »
    That punk stephenson got exactly what was coming to him as far as I'm concerned, a beatdown.

Granger too, was glad to see him leave after the physicals he had been putting on The King all series.

Heat fans showing the same level of class as their team I see (i.e. none), that was an absolutely disgusting assault.

Watch where Pittman's looking, never looking at the ball, only at the player, leading with his elbow. The refs had a terrible game and let it get out of hand, if they'd given Haslem a flagrant-2 earlier in the game like he deserved, maybe Pittman thinks twice about assaulting Stephenson (and they screwed up that call too, bizarrely only calling flagrant-1). You can see Pittman winking at the bench afterwards, indicating it was something they'd talked about beforehand.

Stephenson's crime? He mocked Lebron earlier in the series from the bench about choking. According to the Heat's players and fans, this warrants a dangerous elbow to the throat.

The NBA really needs to look at how the referees are calling flagrant fouls, they seem very reluctant to eject anyone in the playoffs. You let flagrant-2's go unpunished (like Haslem's earlier in the game), and it escalates into more dangerous stuff like this.

It'll be a sad day for the NBA if the Heat win the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

It will be a glorious day for basketball when the games best player gets his ring.

Rooting for you 'Bron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm torn between both of the above opinions. The true sports geek in me, who wants to see the best accredited as such, thinks LeBron deserves to get at least one ring. He's probably the most talented player ever to not have one at this stage. And it's by no means a guarantee that he will eventually either. If Miami fail this year then it could be the end for the dream team...and who knows what the fallout will be.

Many say that Wade will be the obvious choice to leave and free up cap space to rebuild the team, since it's now been unofficially declared LeBron's team. As a friend of mine (a Heat fan) pointed out, though: Wade now seeming to let LBJ take the reigns as leader only works if the Heat win. Wade has won a ring with them, almost single-handedly. If they don't win, he has every right to feel as if he should reclaim his top dog status against the flashy, hyped dude who can't get it done when it counts. And LeBron talked about how he'd love to return to Cleveland one day during regular season. If he does, then it's back to square one for him.

Then the human in me nags away and thinks: "...but LeBron is a dick". Who goes out, having never won a ring, and claims he's going to win 6 or 7 with a 'dream team' that's yet to achieve anything?! So, because of that, it's funnier to watch him fail.

I think my stance can be best summed up by saying: I'll respect him if he finally wins it. But, if he doesn't, I'll have my finger ready to point and, shortly afterwards, laugh.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Heat fans showing the same level of class as their team I see (i.e. none), that was an absolutely disgusting assault.

Watch where Pittman's looking, never looking at the ball, only at the player, leading with his elbow. The refs had a terrible game and let it get out of hand, if they'd given Haslem a flagrant-2 earlier in the game like he deserved, maybe Pittman thinks twice about assaulting Stephenson (and they screwed up that call too, bizarrely only calling flagrant-1). You can see Pittman winking at the bench afterwards, indicating it was something they'd talked about beforehand.

Stephenson's crime? He mocked Lebron earlier in the series from the bench about choking. According to the Heat's players and fans, this warrants a dangerous elbow to the throat.

The NBA really needs to look at how the referees are calling flagrant fouls, they seem very reluctant to eject anyone in the playoffs. You let flagrant-2's go unpunished (like Haslem's earlier in the game), and it escalates into more dangerous stuff like this.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Stevenson acted like the big dog the other day and now when faced with a lion we see he was little more than a wild puppy, all fangs and no bite. He deserves another couple of clatters in game six if he has the cojones to step onto the paint.

You come at the King, you best not miss.
    If you can't stand the heat, don't step into the furnace.

Stevenson acted like the big dog the other day and now when faced with a lion we see he was little more than a wild puppy, all fangs and no bite. He deserves another couple of clatters in game six if he has the cojones to step onto the paint.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

That is quality, how could one argue with this level of absurdity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

haha your name is apt buddy did prince james and wade deserve to get slapped around for teasing dirk in the finals so.

Close one in Philly right now as the 76ers lead the Celtics 62-58 with 10 minutes left in the 4th.

Borisss wrote: »
    It will be a glorious day for basketball when the games best player gets his ring.

Rooting for you 'Bron.

the leagues best player most talented player will win a ring when he stops acting like a child and consistently shows a desire to do what has to be done to win

Paully D wrote: »
    Close one in Philly right now as the 76ers lead the Celtics 62-58 with 10 minutes left in the 4th.

celts are very hot and cold this series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

He gets someone else to get you back.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Pacers fan I take it.
    Don't be a hater son.

Advertisement