Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bonded beads & '90/90' test

• 25-03-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm gathering quotes for pumped bonded beads for a new build and just thought I'd check the thermal conductivity from the different suppliers.

Anyway, according to one supplier the thermal conductivity has been changed from 0.032 to 0.035W/m2K for all suppliers following a '90/90' industry norm test conducted.

I've noticed some still quoting 0.033W/m2K.

Does anyone know who's right or wrong here or does it really matter that much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The 0.035 is bottom of the barrel in terms of pumped bead into the cavity. The Silverbead for eg is next step up and is rated at 0.031.

With regards to mattering much, yes it can have a big impact on your through wall rating. Whoever is testing/certifying it needs to make that decision for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

31mW for bonded bead is totally unrealistic - rigid graphite EPS can just about manage that, how could a bead with a relatively high glue content in application achieve the same result?! Ask the manufacturers for their agrement certification and base your decision on that (this doesnt guarantee anything if you want the truth but its the best independant assurance you are going to get). I would advise basing calculations on 35mW unless you have assurances to the contrary (at least you are taking a worst case scenario which should more than allow for possible installation issues, settlelment, degradation, aging, moisture content etc etc). Always better err on the side of caution on these things and you wont be dissappointed!

So Warmfill Super is unrealistic then?

i think you will find it is, never take NSAI agrement certs off suppliers websites they are often (and sometimes deliberately!) out of date. Always obtain certificates directly from the NSAI where the latest certificate should always be available:

http://www.nsai.ie/NSAI/files/96/96d1a468-121f-41eb-8cce-d0f8fef13c19.pdf

'Super' achieves 33mW same as standard silver bead (so really isnt that super afterall!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

miller_63 wrote: »
    The 0.035 is bottom of the barrel in terms of pumped bead into the cavity. The Silverbead for eg is next step up and is rated at 0.031.

Can you please let me know who supplies at 0.031?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

At this stage myself on 250mm cavity and there seems to be a few at each step on the thermal conductivity performance. From my analysis of the NSAI certs;

0.04 W/mK: Warmfill White
    0.038 W/mK: Supernova, Thermobead, Supertherm Platinum
    0.035 W/mK: Envirobead, KOREfill, Kingspan Ecobead, Energistore Graphite 27 Plus
    0.033 W/mK: Kingspan Ecobead Platinum, Envirobead Plus, Warmfill Silver, Warmfill SuperSilver (this is the one on website claims 0.031W/mK but NSAI disputes this).

Then from for my specific house, the difference between 0.035 - 0.033 W/mK is only around 100kWh/yr. However if the price is similar, why wouldn't I try and get the better performing bead? I'm not going to be changing that anything in the future. I'd draw the line at the higher end though, when I go up to 0.038W/mK, it's more like 230kWh/yr which is starting to add up over 10's of years. Especially when my heat load is so low, these small values do add up.

I assume then if the NSAI dispute the Warmfill SuperSilver coming in at 0.031W/mK we should assume a value of 0.033 W/mK?

the nsai arent disputing it, they dont carry out lambda assessments. The manufacturer must supply the NSAI with independant results fron a UKAS accreddited lab, 31mW is not currently achievable for bonded bead so yes i would take 33mW as per NSAI...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Clseeper wrote: »
    At this stage myself on 250mm cavity and there seems to be a few at each step on the thermal conductivity performance. From my analysis of the NSAI certs;

0.04 W/mK: Warmfill White
    0.038 W/mK: Supernova, Thermobead, Supertherm Platinum
    0.035 W/mK: Envirobead, KOREfill, Kingspan Ecobead, Energistore Graphite 27 Plus
    0.033 W/mK: Kingspan Ecobead Platinum, Envirobead Plus, Warmfill Silver, Warmfill SuperSilver (this is the one on website claims 0.031W/mK but NSAI disputes this).

Then from for my specific house, the difference between 0.035 - 0.033 W/mK is only around 100kWh/yr. However if the price is similar, why wouldn't I try and get the better performing bead? I'm not going to be changing that anything in the future. I'd draw the line at the higher end though, when I go up to 0.038W/mK, it's more like 230kWh/yr which is starting to add up over 10's of years. Especially when my heat load is so low, these small values do add up.

So 250kWh at say 25 cents a kWh for 10 years is euro 625
    Even at a euro/kWh for elec its 2,500 euro
    What the delta euro cost for 33 vs 35?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I'm gathering quotes for pumped bonded beads for a new build and just thought I'd check the thermal conductivity from the different suppliers.

Anyway, according to one supplier the thermal conductivity has been changed from 0.032 to 0.035W/m2K for all suppliers following a '90/90' industry norm test conducted.

I've noticed some still quoting 0.033W/m2K.

Does anyone know who's right or wrong here or does it really matter that much?

Bear in mind that's a value for the PS itself - I'd be interested to see it's 'as-built' value c/w adhesive and void content, in an actual wall.

0.033 is the new norm for PS as - and you can thank the 'green' contingent for it - the change in manufacturing processes in the last few years (primarily the blowing gases involved), mean that the material is indeed much greener than it used to be. The downside is that the lambda value has dropped - no omelettes without breaking eggs comes to mind.

In the UK, where I do most work, the issue of GWP and ODP are weighted higher than u-value, and so it is that which is driving the manufacturers in the UK. The latest versions of PS have a ODP of zero, and GWP of only 5...........but u-value is less. But that's the way regulation is going.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what gases are used for ODP of 0 and GWP of 5 ??

air blown?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Calahonda,

Pretty much have all my prices in so the difference between the lowest 0.035W/mK and the lowest 0.033W/mK is ~€640. But that differential in PHPP is only 100kWh so even at current electricity prices ~€0.25, that's a 28 40 year payback (€22 per year). If I'm using oil or an ASHP that will drop so much further (Oil ~€0.08, ASHP COP 2.5 (conservative) ~€0.10 etc)

Undecided but think I may be swung to the lowest 0.035W/mK, it was the lowest price overall. Cheaper than both of the 0.038W/mK jobs - large company so think this is volume thing.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Bear in mind that's a value for the PS itself - I'd be interested to see it's 'as-built' value c/w adhesive and void content, in an actual wall.

The test standard requires a lambda assessment for 'as installed' - this is not lambda for bead only, the graphite EPS bead can achieve 31mW, you lose 2mW (min.) for what you describe above

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what gases are used for ODP of 0 and GWP of 5 ??

air blown?

typically pentane, same as PIR and Phenolic...as EPS is substantially open cell and/or has a cell structure that cant contain the molecular weight of pentane this escapes and air infiltrates. so the pentane is just used to expand the bead effectively...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

PROJECT K wrote: »
    [
    The test standard requires a lambda assessment for 'as installed' - this is not lambda for bead only, the graphite EPS bead can achieve 31mW, you lose 2mW (min.) for what you describe above

typically pentane, same as PIR and Phenolic...as EPS is substantially open cell and/or has a cell structure that cant contain the molecular weight of pentane this escapes and air infiltrates. so the pentane is just used to expand the bead effectively...

Pentane is no longer used afaik - our PS uses sequestered CO2 - hence the drop in u values.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah normal pentane has a GWP of somewhere between 15 and 25
    co2 has a gwp of 1

What can be done to ensure the installers do their job right and the beads fall into place? Obviously one easy way would be to make sure they drill at correct distances. What tests can be done post installation to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What tests can be done post installation to check?
    Thermal imaging survey with possibly borescope follow-up to confirm any anomalies.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Thermal imaging survey with possibly borescope follow-up to confirm any anomalies.

So this thermal imaging can only be done when the house is finished, i.e. heating system in and working?

So this thermal imaging can only be done when the house is finished, i.e. heating system in and working?

For best results, yes. I would imagine holding a retention of sorts on the installer will ensure it gets done right. He/She can walk side by side as you thermal image the outside walls at a later date.

If the render is on and inside is finished there may be a mess to sort if it needs refilling. Make sure the installer knows this cost will come out of the retainer fee. That way hopefully he/she will install it correctly to begin with.

For best results, yes. I would imagine holding a retention of sorts on the installer will ensure it gets done right. He/She can walk side by side as you thermal image the outside walls at a later date.

If the render is on and inside is finished there may be a mess to sort if it needs refilling. Make sure the installer knows this cost will come out of the retainer fee. That way hopefully he/she will install it correctly to begin with.

I just wonder how many this will scare off! :D

• Advertisement

I just wonder how many this will scare off! :D

If it does scare them off then that tells you all you need to know about them IMHO. Id be glad to flush those chancers out straightaway cool.png

Peaks, any requirement to pump the peaks on the gable walls or is it sufficient to pump to the standard wall level.

Peaks, any requirement to pump the peaks on the gable walls or is it sufficient to pump to the standard wall level.

Where is your insulation line? Ceiling or rafters?

Where is your insulation line? Ceiling or rafters?

Ceiling, or to be more accurate the attic floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Standard wall level would do but for the sake of f*#k all extra you could do the gable peaks

Im in same line, im going to fill to gable peaks to ensure it meets, ive only a small length anyways from ceiling to ridge.

Spoke with one of the suppliers and he said the peaks were usually fillled anyway so looks like it's standard now anyway.

By the way I got a quote from one supplier last week which was twice that of the others!!! :eek:

Spoke with one of the suppliers and he said the peaks were usually fillled anyway so looks like it's standard now anyway.

By the way I got a quote from one supplier last week which was twice that of the others!!! :eek:

I only thought of this after my last post. How would you stop it filling the gables anyway.

What price per cube are they charging for the job barney

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    What price per cube are they charging for the job barney

Not sure about the cubes Hex but all quotes (except for the chancer) are all about the same. It will come down to:
    • bead peformance (not much difference in them)
    • recommendations from others (limited to be honest)
    • how the supplier reacts to me asking them about what happens if and when I run a thermal image test
    • price (not a big difference between them)

Advertisement