Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get M20x1.5 1m or 2m threaded bars Class 10.9

• 13-03-2015 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Where to get M20x1.5 1m or 2m threaded bars Class 10.9 strenght 8.8 will do. The common stainless is no good as I broke 3 of them, so need more than 400mPa.

Been looking and it seems the M20 coarse x2.5 is everywhere and fine x1.5 is not easy to find. I really need the high tenstile steel which usually looks black rather than the silver weak rods that are usually stainless.

Anyone know where i can order a few of the type I need.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

By pm thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tbh, I can't say I've ever seen ht threaded bar in 10.9.

Why not just bolts ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lordinquisitor

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tbh, I can't say I've ever seen ht threaded bar in 10.9.

Why not just bolts ?

Because I need 2m of it at least. Its under a lot of stain, have pulled/deformed threads on the bars I had. Also really need the coupling nuts to join the 1m bars.
    10.9 as hoping will not deform the thread on that stuff. Have worked my way up the scale first tried BZP as did not think it required better, pulled the bar apart, got stainless and burst that twice as it was salvagable. Got hold of 2 x1m black steel high tenstile bars that were part of a kit and they lasted a while but they ultimately failed. Years of rust is a bruthal force to fight against it seems.
    M20 Metric fine appears to be rather hard to get, one supplier told me last bar he sold was 9 months ago and was not getting any more. Coupling nuts in metric fine have eludedm me and suppliers I rang up in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

It sounds like the threads are failing rather than the bar itself?

Is there any way of installing whatever you are looking at without the need for coupling nuts?

Sorry if this makes no sense. I don't know the specific application.

Edit: Or alternatively spread the tensile load over more than one bar - two side by side?

Just to add more thoughts to this - apologies if they are not relevant.

Although I've never used them I think an M20 Gr10.9 bolt should not fail until it hits around 130kN in tension? (That's 13ish metric tonnes which seems like a large load to have on a single bolt/bar). Is there some sort of fatigue loading in your set-up that that is affecting the threading? Also you mention rust - is the problem caused by corrosion rather than a strength issue?

When you say you "burst" the stainless steel ones - what type of failure did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Lordinquisitor

Bar snapped across just outside of threaded nuts.
    Bar is used to extract old beam shafts from axle, which tend to be very rusty and stuck, even when heated.

It is subject to compression and tension depending if part is going in (new) or out (old).
    The thread appears not to be holding up to the current strains put upon it.

That's serious fatigue loading alright!!! I'm afraid this is well beyond any expertise I have - I almost exclusively deal with static loading.

Someone with more mechanical engineering might be able to give you some idea of detailing steel for the load reversals and regular dynamic loading you are applying. Maybe less strong but less brittle steels might be more use for you? What grade of steel is used in things like cycling engine components?

Also from the way you desribe the snap it sounds like maybe the bar was being subjected to certain amounts of bending - do you tend to "jiggle it back and over"?

Sorry I'm not of much help!

imho, for a draw bolt as you describe, I don't think any threaded bar material will work. If you look at the likes of bearing pullers or similar they typically use a very deep or long nut, so that the load is applied over greater number of threads. A std 1.5d nut is just too shallow.

Also, the pitch on forcing screws on bearing pullers is usually very fine - std pitch as on threaded bars is way too coarse - you need a far lower rate of 'pull' per revolution/angle of rotation of the nut for it to be successful (repeatedly - once off it might be ok).

Material used in forcing screws in mechanical bearing pullers is typically EN8.

why not go to hydraulics ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I would think you need a square thread instead of a tapered thread. This will take the strain better. If you go to a Tool makers and explain your requirements, they will make exactly what you want or need.
    they'll also make a matching coupler for you.

sky6 wrote: »
    I would think you need a square thread instead of a tapered thread. This will take the strain better. If you go to a Tool makers and explain your requirements, they will make exactly what you want or need.
    they'll also make a matching coupler for you.

Actually, you've reminded me: you can actually buy that as bar stock: https://www.google.ie/search?q=acme+thread+rod&biw=1536&bih=793&tbm=isch&imgil=tWUq6WibV-Kh9M%253A%253Bvslg9Wt0QRb1XM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.use-enco.com%25252F1%25252F3%25252Facme-threaded-rod&source=iu&pf=m&fir=tWUq6WibV-Kh9M%253A%252Cvslg9Wt0QRb1XM%252C_&usg=__2RTJDhBIyAS-cM1fSl31LF_zCvw%3D&ved=0CDQQyjc&ei=S3AZVZu3EsiI7AbOsIGQCw#imgrc=tWUq6WibV-Kh9M%253A%3Bvslg9Wt0QRb1XM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.use-enco.com%252FProductImages%252F0120571-11.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.use-enco.com%252F1%252F3%252Facme-threaded-rod%3B250%3B107

other terms for it: lead screw, acme thread etc. We have some about here, somewhere..............

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement