Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Really??

Yes, but I never said that believing in an afterlife is the meaning of life.

I never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Really??

I don't think so:) but I wish you all the best in life anyway-God bless:)

After all I've said? Really?? I find that highly insulting and condescending.:eek: That's what you were going for though wasn't it.
    Anyway, you're right, this is as usual going nowhere. Bathe in the delusion if you will. It's a pity none of you loons will ever realise the folly of your beliefs.
    You'll be just as dead and gone one day as I will. In the mean-time, try and find some meaning in this world, it's all you get!

Buh-bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Why would I thank God? Under your belief, God makes us as we are, yes?
    Or is this Gods plan to show me he loves me really, even if he likes to be a bit of a douche at times?

Here's some food for thought. Sometimes I find it better to point to God's word and letting Him speak:
    John 9:1-3 wrote:
    As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
    So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “It may be that Joseph will hate us and pay us back for all the evil that we did to him.” So they sent a message to Joseph, saying, “Your father gave this command before he died: ‘Say to Joseph, “Please forgive the transgression of your brothers and their sin, because they did evil to you.”’ And now, please forgive the transgression of the servants of the God of your father.” Joseph wept when they spoke to him. His brothers also came and fell down before him and said, “Behold, we are your servants.” But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

Let me know what you think of these.

God doesn't promise us a perfect life in this world, even to those who believe and follow Him. In fact He tells Christians to expect trials and tribulations in the here and now before the age to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

philologos wrote: »
    Here's some food for thought. Sometimes I find it better to point to God's word and letting Him speak:

God doesn't promise us a perfect life in this world, even to those who believe and follow Him. In fact He tells Christians to expect trials and tribulations in the here and now before the age to come.

Wow, you really are a lunatic, arent you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I find that to be a cover for the old saying "Shít happens" really. Don't get me wrong here, it's just the Christian God that claims the same thing as yours does.

I just find it to be a very "safe" answer. It's trying to claim that God makes life harder for some of us, to show us his love and make them a better person. Well that is frankly nonsense, because it doesn't make people better. People make people better. Not God.

I suppose somewhat ironically, it was thanks to my lesbian mother who stuck by my side, and the birth of my daughter, born out of wedlock that made me a better person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ISAW wrote: »
    I suggest you go and read the edits to the message you are quoting.
    I referred to people posting in this thread.
    Great, now stop taking what they've said or what you think they've said and making out as if I was the one who said it.
    I referred to a mindset of anti Catholics elsewhere and you can go elsewhere to look at their comments.
    i have made my case that posters here have stated things which show they subscribe to anti catholic beliefs.
    Great, now stop assuming that this anti-Catholic mindset extends to every single atheist who so much as disagrees with any aspect of Church teaching..
    so your opposition is based on your atheism! it isnt based on any historical thing just on your personal belief that god does not exist. Or to put it in the chistianity forum on the belieef that Christ was not Christ and you oppose people who believe he was because those people believe he was God. You oppose their Catholic church and their belief based on your belief that it isnt true. You are anti Catholic.
    First off, I see you're making repeated attempts to make this look like a personal attack on Christians by saying I "oppose" the people themselves who believe Jesus was God. This is not true, disagreeing with Christians about Jesus's divinity is not opposing them, as I think they should be free to believe whatever they want provided it doesn't harm anyone else (and simply believing in Jesus does not harm anyone else). If i were actively trying to suppress them for believing in Jesus then you would have reasonable grounds to claim I was opposing them.

Secondly. I will readily admit I am no history buff and my knowledge of it is patchy at best. From the debates I have read on the subject I have been unconvinced by attempts to portray Jesus's miracles as matters of historical accuracy. On the basis of the evidence I've encountered, I'm fairly convinced that there is no creator deity and I'm pretty damn cocksure that there is no personal God in the vein of the Judeo-Christian God of the bible. As I do not accept the evidence for the existence of the Judeo-Christian God of the Bible it follows that I do not believe that Jesus was his incarnation on earth.

As I keep pointing out, I am not singling out Jesus here. There are hundreds, probably thousands and historical figures who were or are considered to be Gods. I do not have the time nor the wherewithal to investigate the veracity of the individual claims of their divinity, so I've adopted this heuristic: until I'm provided with sufficient evidence that there exists a supernatural creator entity, I'm going to assume that they were nothing more than historical figures of note.

And the vast majority of Christians follow a similar approach. They reject every other purported god-like figure bar Jesus without ever examining the merits of the the evidence for their existence.
    You have the free will to reject whatever you wish. but you are clearly stated that you oppose the arguments of Christianity and their church because you dont believe in God. If you oppose catholicism you are anti Catholic.
    What do you mean, specifically, by the arguments of Christianity? If you are referring to the divinity of Jesus then of course I reject it due to my disbelief; I can hardly reject the existence of Yahweh but give some credence the notion that Jesus was his living incarnation. If you are referring to, say Church morality, I do not reject everything they say simply because I don't believe in God. I have my own moral standards. So if the Church say that you should treat others with respect or be charitable, I'd say "Yeah, that's a pretty good idea." But if the Church says that masturbation is a gravely disordered act then I'd say "Well that's a bit silly."
    so you accept jesus existed as a historic figure?
    Yes, I think I made that very clear.
    then why did you call the reference to it "this crap".
    ...I didn't, that was Sonic2k. Who also claimed that they believe it likely that Jesus existed. They weren't referring to the notion of the historical figure of Jesus as "crap." But of course if you actually read what people were saying (try it, you might even like it) rather than what you assumed they were saying based on this anti-theistic stereotype you have in your head, you'd already know this.
    Also you dont argue about others in history nd you have admitted yo dont based on the idea that they dont claim to be gods.
    Bt they did claim to be gods.
    You admit theat and you say "but if they did they dont have any followers today"
    You were shown sme do have followers.
    Again, you are taking what someone else said and quoting me on it. Of course there hundreds if not thousands of other people throughout history who claimed to be or were believed to be Gods. How thick do you actually think I am not to have realised that?
    but then you say "but they dont have loads of followers"
    all these scotsmen!
    Oh sweet Jesus. Would you please, please, please listen to what I'm saying, and not what you would like me to say so you can paint me as a anti-Catholic and feed this fantasy of a dangerous anti-Catholic agenda?

My point in highlighting their small numbers was this: there is no need to call into question their claims because it is implicitly assumed by, in effect, everyone in the world that their claims are bogus. It goes without saying. When I go to a restaurant and ask for a glass of water I don't need to qualify that I don't want it brought to me boiling at 100 degrees. When people talk about David Koresh they don't need to say "I have serious doubts that that man was truly God's final prophet " because it is implicitly assumed by 99.99999999% of the world that the man was a ****ing wingnut. This goes for any modern-day self-professed prophet or cult leaders with Messianic delusions. We do not need lengthy discourse on the evidence for their Godliness because it is known, without needed to be said, that everyone you will ever encounter believes that these people are complete basket cases.
    Let me guess are you arguing against Islam on the Islam forum and claiming Mohammad was not a prophet?
    Are you arguing against Jews?
    Are you arguing against anyone else who believes in god because they believe in god?
    Well as my lack of belief in the Judeo-Christian God is part of the reason why I don't believe in Jesus's divinity, I suppose I'm an anti-semite as well.
    No! you are arguing against Christianity. so let us deal with that alone.
    You already admitted you personally reject Christ. But let us see if it goes further.

Do you or do you not oppose the catholic Church for example.
    Do you oppose their teachings or their actions?
    If you do you are anti catholic. Simple.
    There are areas of Catholic doctrine with which I disagree, their views views on sexuality being the obvious example. It is not because they are Catholic teachings that I disagree with them. I just happens that I see nothing inherently wrong with homosexual relations or sex outside of wedlock*

Nor can you claim that I am singling out Catholicism (I notice we've advanced from anti-Christianity to anti-Catholicism in this post. And you accuse others of having an agenda!), as Islam, many sects of Protestantism, and many organisations in largely atheistic countries like China and Russia also oppose homosexuality.

Seriously, do you believe that disagreeing with, and perhaps even being so bold as to discuss, some of the Church's teachings renders you an anti-Catholic? In that case every Protestant who has posted on the Catholic/Protestant megathread is anti-Catholic, and you and all Catholics who have done likewise yourself are an anti-Protestant. You're free to self-identify as you will, but I'm not so sure some of your Christian brethren will be happy to be described in such derogatory terms.

*Nor do a very large number of Ireland's younger demographic, many of whom at least identify as Catholic. This raises an interesting point: if these people, say, support the idea of female priests, or strongly disagree with the Church's stance on abortion, contraception, homosexuality, sex outside of marriage etc. and voice their opinions on, they are clearly anti-Catholic by your own standards. But they are also Catholic. Does this mean that they are...anti-Catholic Catholics?

what did i misrepresent?
    show me what you claim i misrepresented.
    ISAW wrote:
    you think that disproves the claim (the one YOU made _ that there is noone else in history like Jesus based on him being worshipped as a god)
    Here you go.

The poster very clearly stated that of the three men listed, Jesus differs in that he is worshiped in the present as a deity (I have pointed this out already but this time I'm using the three-pronged attack of bold, underline and italics so you can't possibly claim to have missed it). That was crystal clear but of course you are not arguing with actual people here, you are arguing with what you imagine a stereotypical anti-theist would say.
    Im sorry but who or what comprises "the truth of how the universe is"?
    A Christian view of the universe would feature God as the creator of space and time. As I do not believe in any gods then it follows that I think their view of the universe is flawed in that respect. That should go without saying.
    where did i misquote anyone in this thread? hats twice now yo have accused me of doing this.
    Outright three times in this very post.
    where did i quote someone from a clerical abuse thread. All i did was say you can see ample examples of the anti catholic mindset there.
    I didn't say you did. Your experiences with anti-Catholics on the thread in question - who are, let's be honest, few in number - seem to have coloured you view of atheists to the extent that I am an anti-Christian in your eyes for daring to believe Jesus was just a normal man and failing to agree with all aspects of Catholic teaching.
    Who is the "dog" you refer to here?
    You. It's not an insult, I'm using it figuratively.
    If and when i go to the Islamic forum and post that there yes you can. Personally i have some problems with Islamic philosophy and history which i have posted here and there. i have never had a clear response to some of it. For example if it is accepted that
    1. Mohammed led a perfect life
    2. Opposing Mohammad is anti Islam
    If it then turns out that Mohammad had sexual relations with children and I oppose that behavior I suppose you can call me anti Islam.
    this would be based on 1&2 and not on your personal views of Islam.
    But we are diuscussing your views not mine.
    We'll keep your views in the discussion, I think. It's easy to label other with derogatory terms, but perhaps not so much when by your own standards you fall into the same category.

So you agree that you are anti-Islam, under a specific definition outlined above. Your claims of anti-Catholicism against me go beyond that, to the point where where I am allegedly attacking the Catholic people themselves. Would this apply to you as well? That by opposing the tenets of Islam you are, by extension, attacking its followers as well?

In 4076 sonic2k clearly states that his problem with Jesus compared to others is that people believe Jesus is God.
    Out of a set of 3. Two of whom are not considered Gods in the present day.
    He was shown that people also believed others were god in history.
    A fantastic riposte to a point that wasn't made.
    His problem was expounded upon by "there is not a religion based around these men. "

He was shown there was.
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no modern religion based on Socrates or Alexander the Great. Which is what the poster you were

I don't see why we would ever need to enter into discussion about Alexander's status as a God. As the number of people who believe he is a God totals zero, it would be something of a one-sided debate.

I have addressed all of this already. In fact, it was my first post on the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78303937&postcount=4090

You genuinely do not seem to understand this, ISAW: people other than yourself can also read the posts on this thread. As a result, they can see you haven't a leg to stand on in this instance, and you are either arguing for the sake of argument or you simply point-blank refuse to read what others have said despite numerous attempts to correct you on your growing list of strawmen.
    His problem became 4084 that such like were not around TODAY.

He was shown such type non christian religions exist today.
    He didn't say this at all

And it progressed to the point about the problems with opposing claims about people jike Jesus in history for such people is manifest in
    opposing LARGE religions who believe in God today e.g. the Catholic Church

Ironically i don't witness them attacking Islam so much at all.
    Islam is not going to be discussed to the same extent as Catholicism in Ireland because it is not really a visible force in Ireland. Volleyball is not going to be discussed to the same extent as soccer or rugby because feck all people play it. Fine Gael might be a hot topic with the Irish media but I doubt they're getting much airtime dedicated to the in Ukraine. It is to be expected that people will talk more about the things that are relevant to and prevalent in their particular country. This is not some anti-Catholic conspiracy any more than the Ukrainian media is making a concerted effort against Fine Gael by denying them coverage.

Location, location, location.
    anti Catholic = opposing the Catholic church and Catholic teachings in Ireland or anywhere else.
    Do you oppose them? QED
    Why not just type "I win!" "I win!" in the largest and most garish font you can find, it would look a little more reserved and mature.

Again I'd urge some caution in using this unique definition of anti-Catholicism, as an entire branch of Christianity and all its members come under the term.
    No it was significant because the large numbers of followers.
    Penn in 4092
    Yes, and everyone but their tiny set of followers denies their godlike status. Nobody but pagans take pagans seriously.
    That was me, this time. You're all over the gaff, man.
    Christians and Catholics are by some because they have large numbers of followers and not a tiny set. that is what was stated.
    my point was not that larger religions should necessarily be criticised but that

1. People will naturally talk more about something the larger and more prominent it is in the society that they live in. The soccer forum is busier than the frisbee forum because soccer is a far more prominent sport in Ireland. Which is not to say that people have a specific problem with friebee. Catholicism will the topic of more discussion more than Taoism because the Catholic Church is a more prominent force in Irish society.
    2. Nobody needs to state that the leader of a cult with 200 members is making bogus claims about his messianic nature because it is implicitly assumed by everyone in the world bar those 200 people that he is a fruitcake.

I know I've said all this already but now you really, really don't have an excuse for ignoring me.
    Eventually we agree on something! :)

But groups of militants can get into power and whenever atheistic militants did in the past their heinous brume cast a terrible pall on others.

At the very least the mindset mitigates against free speech by attacking and or censoring those who oppose them.
    I'm not giving you a platform to get up on your hobby horse. Everyone bar you thinks the notion of Ireland turning into Soviet Russia is absurd.
    I dont but you may well but into their mindset and begin to believe some anti catholic notions propmted by the very "atheistic menace " to which you referred
    Might you believe such things as
    1. at their worst level anything more than 1% of pedophiles being priests and at present levels more than 0.01%
    2. the vatican or popes being involved historically in and or their continued existing a church wide cover up of abusers.
    3. the Vatican or popes supporting WWII Naziism or the Catholic Church in Germany or Poland and future popes from those countries supporting them

Maybe you dont believe in the above i offer them only as examples of the type of misinformation peddled. they are a wider agenda but "there is no such thing as christ and anyone following such an orginasation is being misled" is a basic start although any attack on clergy church beliefs organisations will do. The basic idea it to attack belief and corrupt faith into despite. Im not saying you personbally orchestrate this . just that y may unwittingly subscribe to it.
    I know this is another one of your favourite topics and I'm not going to get into it in any depth.

Just to give you a vague idea of where I stand I agree there is something of an anti-Catholic sentiment in certain areas the media at the moment. * I hear people describe the Church as "the most evil institution in the world" or something to that effect, which in a world of Burmas and North Koreas is patently absurd. On the other hand, it seems some of the stricter adherents to Catholicism simply do not believe the Church has done or even can do any wrong. Which is pretty far from the truth.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

*Though by labelling people like me as anti-Catholic you debase genuine claims of anti-Catholicism. You have heard about the boy who cried wolf.
    Fair enough; and based on that you don't oppose the Catholic church or the believers in Christ and what they do? you keep to yourself and don't preach anything against them?
    If so you are not anti catholic or anti christian.
    If you single out Catholics or Christians you are.
    I think have made it very clear in previous posts as well as this one that I am not singling out Catholicism or Christianity. Nonetheless I will lay out the extent of my "opposition" and "preaching" and let you decide if I am and anti-Christian/anti-Catholic.

- As I have said above , some of my views differ from those of the Catholic and/or Christian teaching (sexuality etc.) This is not a willful denial of Church teaching, I just have my own moral code and it is at odds with Catholic/Christian thought on certain issues

- On occasion, I will also question why so-called lapsed or a-la-carte Catholics continue to use the title when they do not look to the Vatican, or their local priest, or the CC for moral guidance, and actually oppose the Catholic teaching on a large number of issues.

But as they are anti-Catholic themselves, by your own definition, I don't think this should matter too much.

This is getting a bit messy so I'll lay it down like this.

If your reply to me fulfills the following conditions -

1. It is ridiculously and unnecessarily long (I know this is a bit rich given the length of this one but it's not how I like to operate. Brevity is the essence of wit.)
    2. It's content includes positions you have constructed for me based on your idea of what a rabid anti-theist Marxist would say and quotes from other posters you see fit to ascribe to me
    3.You blithely ignore what I've said in our discourse so far and keep bringing up points to which I have replied already, sometimes on multiple occasions -

I won't reply and hopefully this thing can get back on track before it's derailed completely, as it can be interesting to read at times.

Just as a second opinion, would any Christians like to clarify what you would consider to be anti-Christian? Would my position appear to be anti-Catholic or anti-Christian?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Really?? wrote: »
    That's right! I am!
    What others of a similar mindset choose to do is entirely up to them.

Yes but belitteling others who dont share your view is doing more than just having a different belief.
    Of all the thousands of gods in recorded history, I believe in none.

The concept of nothing is problematic. A man walks into a bar the barman asks "what will you have" the man says "nothing" the barman gets angry. the man says "but I love Guiness and yesterday you told me nothing was better than a pint of Guiness"
    That's one three headed god less than you I imagine.

Please dont bring my beliefs into this. i didnt.
    What you and I will accept as factual evidence hold to two distinctly different, incompatible standards Sir! You are willing to accept things that I simply will not.

Again you attribute standards to me out of ignorance.
    And I would posit you have such faith in what you call "scientific" standards.
    I am happy to wait and agree to standards on which we both agree.
    i dont see how having agreed to a metre second coloumb kelvin and kilo you are going to derive ethical values from first principles but feel free to try.
    I question in fact, the very validity to the dicussion to which you allude.
    There can be no valid conclusion to such a debate. No definitive proof can be offered. In the end, all that remains, is opinion is it not?

not necessarily "all" but similar can be said of the history and philosophy of science.
    Are those grounds to dismiss science also?
    Do you really believe you are doing any more than simply hurling in this ditch you speak of?
    What is your purpose for continuing? Is it perhaps that you wish to "encourage others of a similar mindset"?

again we are not discussing my beliefs but your atheism and how it related to the atheistic mindset.
    If you don't want to discuss the" implications of that atheism which you raised you have to that option and can avoid the discussion.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Great, now stop taking what they've said or what you think they've said and making out as if I was the one who said it.
    As I told you here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78330702&postcount=4112
    I made out you supported their position based on your own words.

So what the poster has clearly stated is that...

That is what you stated. You attributed a position to them and in doing so stated it as yours.
    Great, now stop assuming that this anti-Catholic mindset extends to every single atheist who so much as disagrees with any aspect of Church teaching..

I didnt claim it did. did I? however Im quite happy to have you clarify and you wont have to assume anything..
    Do you oppose the teachings of the Catholic church?
    First off, I see you're making repeated attempts to make this look like a personal attack on Christians by saying I "oppose" the people themselves who believe Jesus was God.

Yo dont have to oppose individual believers or even people that exist. As i have already pointed out racism can exist in the absence of race. If you oppose the belief you oppose the religion.
    This is not true, disagreeing with Christians about Jesus's divinity is not opposing them, as I think they should be free to believe whatever they want provided it doesn't harm anyone else (and simply believing in Jesus does not harm anyone else). If i were actively trying to suppress them for believing in Jesus then you would have reasonable grounds to claim I was opposing them.

Do you think saying the clergy are misleading people isnt going a bit further than just disbelieving in god?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73223635&postcount=45
    Secondly. I will readily admit I am no history buff and my knowledge of it is patchy at best. From the debates I have read on the subject I have been unconvinced by attempts to portray Jesus's miracles as matters of historical accuracy.

You are aware part of the anti christian the atheistic element deny the historicity of Jesus the man? If such a person didnt exist in hiostory then the idea of him also being god is moot. they also use the "Bible made up 300 years later" argument.
    On the basis of the evidence I've encountered, I'm fairly convinced that there is no creator deity and I'm pretty damn cocksure that there is no personal God in the vein of the Judeo-Christian God of the bible.

So you are prepared to accept evidence? what sort of evidence would you require?
    As I do not accept the evidence for the existence of the Judeo-Christian God of the Bible it follows that I do not believe that Jesus was his incarnation on earth.
    and in so doing adopt one of the above mindset arguments
    no historical Bible Jesus therefore no god;
    As I keep pointing out, I am not singling out Jesus here. There are hundreds, probably thousands and historical figures who were or are considered to be Gods. I do not have the time nor the wherewithal to investigate the veracity of the individual claims of their divinity, so I've adopted this heuristic: until I'm provided with sufficient evidence that there exists a supernatural creator entity, I'm going to assume that they were nothing more than historical figures of note.

except in the case of Christians or the Catholic church where you have specific criticisms
    reserved.
    Note also by saying you are not singling out Jesus -you are doing exactly that.
    And the vast majority of Christians follow a similar approach. They reject every other purported god-like figure bar Jesus without ever examining the merits of the the evidence for their existence.

that is debatable. Others will dispute how christians being called to witness means they consider and reject non christian beliefs. And again you are singling out Christians .

if the Church say that you should treat others with respect or be charitable, I'd say "Yeah, that's a pretty good idea." But if the Church says that masturbation is a gravely disordered act then I'd say "Well that's a bit silly."

If you pick out what suits you that means you reject some things. Im more interested in what you reject her than what you accept. And harder options. Abortion for example or
    whether you think the church conspired to hide abuse or whether you think clergy ar living like leeches off the people?
    ...I didn't, that was Sonic2k. Who also claimed that they believe it likely that Jesus existed. They weren't referring to the notion of the historical figure of Jesus as "crap." But of course if you actually read what people were saying (try it, you might even like it) rather than what you assumed they were saying based on this anti-theistic stereotype you have in your head, you'd already know this.

It took some clarification by the OP to expound on what they stated. I reject your notion that the full meaning was in the OP or that I intentionally misinterpreted it. I can only go by what people post. "crap" i.e. excrement was the word used by them.
    Again, you are taking what someone else said and quoting me on it. Of course there hundreds if not thousands of other people throughout history who claimed to be or were believed to be Gods. How thick do you actually think I am not to have realised that?

But we dont witness you posting about them! How come? do you think people are thick because theyjump t the conclusion that yuor posts are only about Christians and not about all these other religions? Are they therefore thick if they suppose you like other posters her have admitted have the same reasons for posting about Christianity as opposed to all these other religions on which you dont post?

And then having posted only on christianity you add in "but Im not singling out christianity"?
    Give us a break!
    My point in highlighting their small numbers was this: there is no need to call into question their claims because it is implicitly assumed by, in effect, everyone in the world that their claims are bogus. It goes without saying. When I go to a restaurant and ask for a glass of water I don't need to qualify that I don't want it brought to me boiling at 100 degrees. When people talk about David Koresh they don't need to say "I have serious doubts that that man was truly God's final prophet " because it is implicitly assumed by 99.99999999% of the world that the man was a ****ing wingnut. This goes for any modern-day self-professed prophet or cult leaders with Messianic delusions. We do not need lengthy discourse on the evidence for their Godliness because it is known, without needed to be said, that everyone you will ever encounter believes that these people are complete basket cases.

And you are saying the difference between them and christianity by implication
    is that christianity is not a wing nut basket case but a reasonable philosophy ?

Based only on the number that expound it?

you do realise atheistic regimes had huge numbers preaching their creed?
    There are areas of Catholic doctrine with which I disagree, their views views on sexuality being the obvious example. It is not because they are Catholic teachings that I disagree with them. I just happens that I see nothing inherently wrong with homosexual relations or sex outside of wedlock*

So you also oppose Jewish and Islamic views on homosexual relations or sex outside of wedlock? You think the Jews and Muslims are wrong?
    You just dont bother telling them.
    Nor can you claim that I am singling out Catholicism (I notice we've advanced from anti-Christianity to anti-Catholicism in this post. And you accuse others of having an agenda!), as Islam, many sects of Protestantism, and many organisations in largely atheistic countries like China and Russia also oppose homosexuality.

But you come to a christian group and mention it and not to any islamic or atheist ones?
    As regards Catholicism if you are going to say the Irish context isnt relevant then dont start about other countries which are mostly Islam or atheistic.
    Seriously, do you believe that disagreeing with, and perhaps even being so bold as to discuss, some of the Church's teachings renders you an anti-Catholic?

not at all. Encouraging people to oppose catholics and unfairly painting them or their church in a bad light is.
    In that case every Protestant who has posted on the Catholic/Protestant megathread is anti-Catholic,

some may well be yes.
    and you and all Catholics who have done likewise yourself are an anti-Protestant.

where did i say i was a Catholic protestant or even if i believed in god?
    Please dont bring my personal beliefs or lack of them into this. We are not discussing what i believe.
    You're free to self-identify as you will, but I'm not so sure some of your Christian brethren will be happy to be described in such derogatory terms.

I dont mention my personal beliefs or lack of them here.

i dont have to be a Jew to debate holocaust deniers.
    I have quoted non Catholics who clearly point out the anti catholic prejudice.
    Philip Jenkins for one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_literature_and_media#Media_coverage_of_abuse_cases
    "Philip Jenkins, an Episcopalian and Professor of History and Religious Studies at Penn State University, published the 1996 book Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis in which he claims that the Catholic Church is being unfairly singled out by a secular media which he claims fails to highlight similar sexual scandals in other religious groups, such as the Anglican Communion, various Protestant churches, and the Jewish and Islamic communities. He also claims that the Catholic Church may have a lower incidence of molesting priests than Churches that allow married clergy because statistically child molestation generally occurs within families but Latin-rite Catholic priests do not have families, and the Catholic Church only allows married priests in a few of its rites. He also claims that the term "pedophile priests" widely used in the media, implies a distinctly higher rate of child molesters within the Catholic priesthood when in reality the incidence is lower than most other segments of society"
    The poster very clearly stated that of the three men listed, Jesus differs in that he is worshiped in the present as a deity (I have pointed this out already but this time I'm using the three-pronged attack of bold, underline and italics so you can't possibly claim to have missed it). That was crystal clear but of course you are not arguing with actual people here, you are arguing with what you imagine a stereotypical anti-theist would say.

Care to supply a reference to "the poster" and we will see
    Here is the Op 4076

"These two men are not portrayed as God or the Son of God, or the way to enlightenment or any of that stuff.
    They existed, this is fact. The odds are quite good that the man Jesus also existed, but there is no direct evidence of his miracles outside of the Bible."

Where does that say of the three men listed, Jesus differs in that he is worshiped in the present as a deity?

It doesnt and It only became crystal clear after several subsequent posts. After which time I accepted that is what the poster originally meant. It was not clear in what he originally stated. But in stating he meant that being worshipped today was his issue raised other problems. Problems you also have. for example the fact that he was only interested in singling out jesus or christianity because it survived as a religion and is around today.
    Returning to your "what you imagine" point it seems quite clear that what irked hil was not the rationality or not of belief in some dead religion; what was more relevant was the existance of a living religion . His opposition was grounded in the fact (not imagination -fact) that a religion exists in which people believe.
    A Christian view of the universe would feature God as the creator of space and time. As I do not believe in any gods then it follows that I think their view of the universe is flawed in that respect. That should go without saying.

Part of the reason i picked the roman Catholic church. Have you a problem with eh existence of Bishops or Priests or the Vatican? Or do you consider them upright and respectable people?
    I didn't say you did. Your experiences with anti-Catholics on the thread in question - who are, let's be honest, few in number - seem to have coloured you view of atheists to the extent that I am an anti-Christian in your eyes for daring to believe Jesus was just a normal man and failing to agree with all aspects of Catholic teaching.

No ! i have no problem with that and I have met some atheists like that here.
    i have atheist/agnostic friends and they are not anti catholic or anti religion.
    So you agree that you are anti-Islam, under a specific definition outlined above. Your claims of anti-Catholicism against me go beyond that, to the point where where I am allegedly attacking the Catholic people themselves. Would this apply to you as well? That by opposing the tenets of Islam you are, by extension, attacking its followers as well?

Yes if they follow something which a person oppose that person would be attacking them for that belief.
    MY beliefs are not the subject of discussion.
    Let us say "a person " if you want to discuss this pôint. Like your "speaking figuratively"
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no modern religion based on Socrates or Alexander the Great.

Actually the rational part of Christianity is based on Aristotle who was instructed by Plato who was instructed by Socrates. Aristotle in turn instructed Alexander.

Paganism survives today and the same gods to which Alexander was linked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellowship_of_Isis
    I don't see why we would ever need to enter into discussion about Alexander's status as a God. As the number of people who believe he is a God totals zero, it would be something of a one-sided debate.
    But you are back into the "number" being significant.
    By default you interest in debating Christianity is because of the number of Christians.

Christianity was at one time tiny.

I have addressed all of this already. In fact, it was my first post on the thread.

and i n my immediazte reply in 4091 i pointed out
    "no he didnt clearly state that since he clarified it later"

where AFTER that post did i argue against what you claim he meant and claim he didnt mean that at all?
    You genuinely do not seem to understand this, ISAW: people other than yourself can also read the posts on this thread. As a result, they can see you haven't a leg to stand on in this instance,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78304216&postcount=4091
    Pace2008 So what the poster has clearly stated is that they believe Jesus, Alexander and Socrates all existed, but Jesus differs in that people in the present day believe he was a deity who performed supernatural feats.
    no he didnt clearly state that since he clarified it later. In any case i dont think he needs you to tell him what he is saying.

But as i have already stated, there ARE people today who claim to be god and that people believe are at least godlike e.g. Rael, David Koresh, Jim Jones. There are also neo pagans.

These two men are not portrayed as God or the Son of God, or the way to enlightenment or any of that stuff.
    They existed, this is fact. The odds are quite good that the man Jesus also existed, but there is no direct evidence of his miracles outside of the Bible.

then in 4084
    Underlined it in the hopes you'll at least attempt to read it again.
    Again, I'm talking about the PRESENT tense.

He underlined "two men are" in an attempt to emphasise the "are" but he emphasised the "two men" as well which is what i took him up on.

As regards "are" i have replied above ther are such people.
    Are regards "are" in terms of something still around which was around in ancient times i suggested egyptian religions and neopaganism.Judiasm and zoroastriansm would also be examples.

But if of course you are claiming Christianity is different because it is the only one still around that existed in ancient times then you are singling out Christianity are you not?
    Islam is not going to be discussed to the same extent as Catholicism in Ireland because it is not really a visible force in Ireland.

Now you are in circles. Tweedledum you think foicusing on catholicism is changing the issue and christianity is referred to a a minority on world terms. Tweedledee you are back on Irish Catholics.

1. People will naturally talk more about something the larger and more prominent it is in the society that they live in.

So your motivation IS the Numbers of Catholics?
    2. Nobody needs to state that the leader of a cult with 200 members is making bogus claims about his messianic nature because it is implicitly assumed by everyone in the world bar those 200 people that he is a fruitcake.

And Christianity began with how many followers?
    I'm not giving you a platform to get up on your hobby horse. Everyone bar you thinks the notion of Ireland turning into Soviet Russia is absurd.

I didnt claim it was. Your continually attempt to compare me to "wingnuts" and pass me off as absurd. i propose a rational argument.
    I'm somewhere in the middle.

So what do you think the church has or is doing wrong?
    I think have made it very clear in previous posts as well as this one that I am not singling out Catholicism or Christianity.

And i have offered counter argument.

ISAW: Christianity was not based on Aristotle or Plato. Certain church traditions were. The reality was that a pagan ideology being added into a distinctly Judaic belief system was mistaken. The New Testament wasn't based on Aristotle or Plato, Jesus' teaching was not based on Aristotle or Plato.

As much as I admire Augustine and Aquinas, I think they compromised Christianity by adding Platonism and Aristotelianism in to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

trials and tribulations often mess people up beyond repair , ive heard my aunt say that god never gives someone a challenge they are not strong enough to face , i dont agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

trials and tribulations often mess people up beyond repair , ive heard my aunt say that god never gives someone a challenge they are not strong enough to face , i dont agree

I agree with you, God or fate or whatever can deal a cruel hand and not everyone is strong enough to cope. The message isn't you dont have bad things happen to you or even that you have the strength to cope with what you have to deal with. It's that you don't have to cope alone. Maybe that old saw should be "God never gives someone a cross to carry that they cant carry with help" Even Jesus needed help to carry His.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Could anyone describe themselves as instinctively pagan but willing to follow Christianity.
    I have read a lot of books on Islam, Christianity,Hinduism,Metaphysics,I even read Richard Dawkins books.
    But it all brought me back to having Faith in the creator or a universal higher power :)
    Maybe I'm instinctively Pagan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

As I told you here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78330702&postcount=4112
    I made out you supported their position based on your own words.

That is what you stated. You attributed a position to them and in doing so stated it as yours.
    I have already demonstrated that you misrepresented their original position so I cannot accept that I agree with a position you fabricated. For the very, very last time:

-Poster states that Jesus is different from Alexander and Socrates, the only other two in question, in that he is worshipped as a deity (true)
    -You point out that Alexander was worshiped as a deity and lots of other people
    -Poster clarifies their already clear npostion
    -????
    - Anti-Christian!

-I step in to say that you are completely misconstruing what the poster was saying, using their 3 very clear posts which everyone else can read as evidence
    -????
    -Anti-Christian!

Enough is enough. I will not continue with with this childish he said/she said discussion. You have the floor on this on if you like. I'll remind you that others apart form yourself can read what was posted so your obstinate refusal to move a single inch from your original position, for whatever reason I don't know and really don't want to know, looks all the more ridiculous.
    Do you oppose the teachings of the Catholic church?
    I have answered this in full already. It is there in type, everyone can read it. It is up to them to decide whether or not my sentiments are anti-Catholic or anti-Christian. As it stands, I do not accept your view on anti-Christianity. I think it is too all-encompassing, it debases cases of genuine anti-Christianity, and it is an unhealthy view adopted to fuel a fantasy of anti-Christian/anti-Catholic bias.
    Do you think saying the clergy are misleading people isnt going a bit further than just disbelieving in god?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73223635&postcount=45
    A year-old post from another thread, nice.

I shouldn't be entertaining you here, but I'll try to clarify. The OP seemed to have an issue with high-ranking clergy living in luxury, when Jesus seemed to be a humble man who encourage poverty. Bishops and cardinals living in palaces would seem to be an example of this luxury. You stated that this is actually not the property of the bishops and fair enough, I believe you. But the fact of the matter is that these palaces are in the possession o the Vatican, or the Church in Ireland, and they see fit to put high-ranking members up in residence in them, complete with housekeepers and cooks in some instance. As I am not a Christian they can build them castles for I care, but whether this is the property of the Vatican or the Church in Ireland or bishops is of no importance to someone who thinks this behaviour goes against the life of the humble Jesus, as the fact of the matter is that there are bishops and cardinals living in palaces.

Again, this seems to be a case of point-scoring at the expense of the salient issue at hand.
    You are aware part of the anti christian the atheistic element deny the historicity of Jesus the man? If such a person didnt exist in hiostory then the idea of him also being god is moot. they also use the "Bible made up 300 years later" argument.
    Yes. I think they're wrong. As I have said that I believe that Jesus existed that is the obvious implication and it shouldn't need to be explicitly stated.

So you are prepared to accept evidence? what sort of evidence would you require?
    Sticking to the notion of a personal God:

That the universe could not have existed without the hand of a creator deity.

That morality could not possibly come about by natural means.

That the notion of an omipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient God is not contradicted by some of the content of the bible.

That the fact that there have been tens of thousands of religions throughout the past and present does not suggest one of two things:

1. there is some sort of supernatural force out there but the number and range of belief systems means that we are not adept at perceving its true nature, and to do so would be arrogant.
    2. humans have an innate propensity to perceive supernatural agency where there is none.

It is not something I am going to discuss in depth at present given that I'm studying and I've wasted enough time on this already. I follow this thread to asses the arguments from both sides, and currently I am convinced that the Judeo-Christian God does not exist. It is threads like these that made me grudgingly accept that Christianity is not based on truth.

except in the case of Christians or the Catholic church where you have specific criticisms
    reserved.
    Note also by saying you are not singling out Jesus -you are doing exactly that.

that is debatable. Others will dispute how christians being called to witness means they consider and reject non christian beliefs. And again you are singling out Christians .
    That is not debatable in any Do you think the majority of Christians have assesed the claims of Shintoism, Hinduism or Taoism?

This applies to the majority of Muslims, Jews and followers of any other religion as well. By and large, they adopt the religion of their parents and culture and dismiss the others without thought. I am not singling out Christians, my point applies to all religions.

If you pick out what suits you that means you reject some things. Im more interested in what you reject her than what you accept. And harder options. Abortion for example or
    whether you think the church conspired to hide abuse or whether you think clergy ar living like leeches off the people?
    I consider abortion to be acceptable up to a point. This is my own individual view and it is against the morality of Catholics, most Protestants, many world religions and indeed a not-insignificant number of atheists.

Some individual members of the clergy did not do enough to ensure that paedophiles would not abuse again. A Chruch-wide conspiracy, I do not know enough on this so I would not make the claim nor agree with it . Note the the majority of Catholics, including deeply faithful ones like my grandparents, would agree with the former view, and quite a few would agree with the latter, right or wrong. Anti-Catholic Catholics.

I do not think the clergy are !"living like leeches off the people, whatever that is even supposed to mean."

It took some clarification by the OP to expound on what they stated. I reject your notion that the full meaning was in the OP or that I intentionally misinterpreted it. I can only go by what people post. "crap" i.e. excrement was the word used by them.
    It shouldn't have taken any clarification. If you were not living in fear of anti-Catholics hiding under your bed it would not have assumed what you assumed.

I will not discuss this further. You have the floor on this one. The posts are there for all to see and make their own judgement on. I will not play accomplice in this endeavour to derail the thread.
    But we dont witness you posting about them! How come? do you think people are thick because theyjump t the conclusion that yuor posts are only about Christians and not about all these other religions? Are they therefore thick if they suppose you like other posters her have admitted have the same reasons for posting about Christianity as opposed to all these other religions on which you dont post?
    ]I have made about a dozen posts on the Christianity forum prior to this thread. None of them on the historicity of Jesus. In fact, I think this is the first time I have ever discussed the issue (my view: he existed), on the internet or outside of it. If I am an anti-Christian (I'm nbot)I am hardly an evangelical one.
    And then having posted only on christianity you add in "but Im not singling out christianity"?
    Give us a break!
    12 posts, none of them questioning the existence of God or Jesus, and I joined this thread because you were rudely misrepresenting another poster to fuel your fantasy of an anti-Christian agenda.

And you are saying the difference between them and christianity by implication
    is that christianity is not a wing nut basket case but a reasonable philosophy ?

Based only on the number that expound it?
    I am saying that 2 billion people believe Christianity is a reasonable philosophy whereas nobody thinks David Koresh was anything but a nutjob, There is no point in discussion, there can be no discussion because when everyone agrees on something there is nothing to discuss.

Of course, I have elucidated this point more times than I should have needed to. The posts are there for everyone to see, you are not the only one who can read them. You can continue to argue with what you'd like me to say if you wish, I will not continue to trainwreck a potentially interesting thread.
    you do realise atheistic regimes had huge numbers preaching their creed?
    Yes, and I have spoken out against them before when it was claimed that religion was the source of all conflict and evil. I suppose that makes me and anti-atheist atheist. So now we have anti-Catholic Catholics, anti-atheist atheists, and no doubt it we'll be moving onto black white supremacists in due course.
    So you also oppose Jewish and Islamic views on homosexual relations or sex outside of wedlock? You think the Jews and Muslims are wrong?
    You just dont bother telling them.
    To all Muslims and the dozen or so Jews in Ireland who might be reading this thread: I disagree with your stance on homosexual relations and pre-marital sex.

But you come to a christian group and mention it and not to any islamic or atheist ones?
    As regards Catholicism if you are going to say the Irish context isnt relevant then dont start about other countries which are mostly Islam or atheistic.

not at all. Encouraging people to oppose catholics and unfairly painting them or their church in a bad light is.
    Which I have not done.
    some may well be yes.
    Well, all of them are by your own definition. Again I'll point out that they will probably not appreciate this view nor agree with it. Again I'll point out that this "us and them" attitude is unhealthy and unchristian.
    i dont have to be a Jew to debate holocaust deniers.
    I have quoted non Catholics who clearly point out the anti catholic prejudice.
    Philip Jenkins for one.
    You have permission to quote me as well since I have pointed out that I think there exists a level of anti-Catholic bias is some areas of the media. It appears that I'm an anti-anti-Catholic anti-Catholic anti-atheist.
    Part of the reason i picked the roman Catholic church. Have you a problem with eh existence of Bishops or Priests or the Vatican? Or do you consider them upright and respectable people?
    I am not a Christian so I have no opinion on how a Christian sect should organise their hierarchy. I think most clergymen are probably good people. More so now I'd imagine than years ago when being a member of the clergy put you in a position of power which might cause someone to take up the mantle for the wrong reasons. There are a few bad eggs, I'm sure. In an organisation as large as the Church it would be absurd to believe this is not the case.

Oh, and since you seem to jump down my throat and stark shrieking about anti-Christianity any time I mention Christianity without succeeding it with a comment about other religions, I think the same applies for Imams and Rabbis.

No ! i have no problem with that and I have met some atheists like that here.
    i have atheist/agnostic friends and they are not anti catholic or anti religion.
    So once they keep their mouths shut about moral issues that happen to be incongruent with Catholic thought, eg. sexuality, it's all gravy? How very magnanimous of you.
    Yes if they follow something which a person oppose that person would be attacking them for that belief.
    If you're going to stick to your own unique definition then that is your prerogative. If that is the case then the majority of the world is anti-whatver-ther-rest-of the-word-is. Which is an unhealthy and sectarian attitude.
    MY beliefs are not the subject of discussion.
    |It's open season on your beliefs so long as you continue to label others as anti-this-or-that.
    Actually the rational part of Christianity is based on Aristotle who was instructed by Plato who was instructed by Socrates. Aristotle in turn instructed Alexander.

Paganism survives today and the same gods to which Alexander was linked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellowship_of_Isis
    This is petty point scoring at its worst. It is arguing for the sake of arguing. I will not derail this thread further by entertaining you on this.
    But you are back into the "number" being significant.
    By default you interest in debating Christianity is because of the number of Christians.
    I am interested in debating Christianity because it is the religion most relevant in the society in which I live. I am interested in debating Christianity because I was a practicing Catholic for the majority of my life. There is nothing anti-Christian about having more interest in a religion that is most relevant to me than one that is a practically invisible presence in my country eg. Judaism.

I say debating, when in fact I have lurked the Christianity forum for years. My motivation for joining the thread was not to attack Christianity but to call you up for completely misrepresenting a poster in an incredibly rude way. I have been lurking the forum for years yet have made no more than an dozen posts on it. For the most part I have been happy to read and try to understand all sides of the argument. And this constitutes anti-Christianity in your eyes, somehow. You utterly debase instances of genuine anti-Christianity.
    Christianity was at one time tiny.
    This might shock you, but I wasn't actually alive back then to comment on it.

and i n my immediazte reply in 4091 i pointed out
    "no he didnt clearly state that since he clarified it later"

where AFTER that post did i argue against what you claim he meant and claim he didnt mean that at all?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78304216&postcount=4091

These two men are not portrayed as God or the Son of God, or the way to enlightenment or any of that stuff.
    They existed, this is fact. The odds are quite good that the man Jesus also existed, but there is no direct evidence of his miracles outside of the Bible.

then in 4084
    Underlined it in the hopes you'll at least attempt to read it again.
    Again, I'm talking about the PRESENT tense.

He underlined "two men are" in an attempt to emphasise the "are" but he emphasised the "two men" as well which is what i took him up on.

As regards "are" i have replied above ther are such people.
    Are regards "are" in terms of something still around which was around in ancient times i suggested egyptian religions and neopaganism.Judiasm and zoroastriansm would also be examples.

But if of course you are claiming Christianity is different because it is the only one still around that existed in ancient times then you are singling out Christianity are you not?
    I have gone over this more times than I should have. The posts are there for all to see; you are not the only one who can see them. I will not continue this ridiculous "debate."
    Now you are in circles. Tweedledum you think foicusing on catholicism is changing the issue and christianity is referred to a a minority on world terms. Tweedledee you are back on Irish Catholics.
    You brought up anti-Catholicism. Telling me I'm going in circles is incredibly rich.
    So your motivation IS the Numbers of Catholics?
    My motivation for having a greater interest in the Premier League over the 6th division in Saudi Arabia, aside from the standard of play, is that it has a greater following over here and hence is morwe relevant to me. If you jst want me to say "Yes" to score some petty point then yes, I would discuss Catholicism over Judaism as it has a vastly greater following in this society and hence is more relevant to my life.

I have made this clear too many times already and will no discuss it further. It is up to others to decide how my views appear.
    And Christianity began with how many followers?
    12? I wasn't around then, so I'm sticking to what applies to the present day. Because, you know, it makes sense like?
    I didnt claim it was. Your continually attempt to compare me to "wingnuts" and pass me off as absurd. i propose a rational argument.
    I never compared you to wingnuts, this was based on your earlier comments in this thread which suggested an increased atheist presence in society could lead to scenario similar to 20th century totalitarian dictatorships. Right or wrong, I should not have said this as I have stated that cross-referencing to other threads or posts from months ago leads to a wreck. And this is pretty bad as things stand.
    So what do you think the church has or is doing wrong?
    This thread has descended into a wreck, ISAW. I am not giving you a platform to get up on your hobby horse. If I were interested in incredibly lengthy and circular discussions about the actions of the Church I would be over on the Clerical Abuse thread, which you will note I'm not. on Suffice to say that if you cannot think of any examples of the Church doing wrong you are one of those rare breed of Catholics who believe the Church cannot do any wrong.
    And i have offered counter argument.
    I do not accept it. I am not going to convince you I'm right on this, that much I can see, it is up for others to decide if I am an anti-Christian or if you are using the term gratuitously and debasing claims of true anti-Christianity.

Again, I think this paranoid "us and them" mindset is unhealthy and unchristian,

ISAW: Christianity was not based on Aristotle or Plato. Certain church traditions were. The reality was that a pagan ideology being added into a distinctly Judaic belief system was mistaken. The New Testament wasn't based on Aristotle or Plato, Jesus' teaching was not based on Aristotle or Plato.

As much as I admire Augustine and Aquinas, I think they compromised Christianity by adding Platonism and Aristotelianism in to the mix.

the rational element -"logos" - of Christianity is based on Greek rationality.
    so is science. the "-ology" part of scientific disciplines comes from the same root word "logos"
    As does "theology" the "-ology" of "theos" -God
    that does not mean science or Christianity believes in Zeus.

I have already demonstrated that you misrepresented their original position so I cannot accept that I agree with a position you fabricated. For the very, very last time:

-Poster states that Jesus is different from Alexander and Socrates, the only other two in question, in that he is worshipped as a deity (true)

As was alexander!
    -You point out that Alexander was worshiped as a deity and lots of other people
    -Poster clarifies their already clear postion

I CANT be "already clear" if he clarified it! Can it?

-????
    - Anti-Christian!
    furthermore he further clarified that his opposition to christianity was on the basis that it was still around today.
    If millions of "Alexanderians" existed and almost no Christians and he opposed alexandrians just because they were a religion around in numbers he would be anti Alexandrian!
    -I step in to say that you are completely misconstruing what the poster was saying, using their 3 very clear posts which everyone else can read as evidence
    -????
    -Anti-Christian!

And where AFTER his third post and BEFORE you posted did i make any claim which was clarified by this third post ?

You cant show that can you because iyt does not exist!

Who is misattributing now?

I

Coming from someone who made an issue of all the posts you make being on record that is a bit rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

so is science. the "-ology" part of scientific disciplines comes from the same root word "logos"

The English language uses Greek words to form compound words. For example, 'telephone'. This does not mean that the telephone is based on the Greek understandings of noise or voices.

logos means word

Therefore 'theology' literally means "words about God".

PDN wrote: »
    The English language uses Greek words to form compound words. For example, 'telephone'. This does not mean that the telephone is based on the Greek understandings of noise or voices.

logos means word

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html
    Logos means both reason and word - a reason which is creative and capable of self-communication, precisely as reason. John thus spoke the final word on the biblical concept of God, and in this word all the often toilsome and tortuous threads of biblical faith find their culmination and synthesis. In the beginning was the logos, and the logos is God, says the Evangelist. The encounter between the Biblical message and Greek thought did not happen by chance. The vision of Saint Paul, who saw the roads to Asia barred and in a dream saw a Macedonian man plead with him: "Come over to Macedonia and help us!" (cf. Acts 16:6-10) - this vision can be interpreted as a "distillation" of the intrinsic necessity of a rapprochement between Biblical faith and Greek inquiry.

In point of fact, this rapprochement had been going on for some time. The mysterious name of God, revealed from the burning bush, a name which separates this God from all other divinities with their many names and simply asserts being, "I am", already presents a challenge to the notion of myth, to which Socrates' attempt to vanquish and transcend myth stands in close analogy.[8] Within the Old Testament, the process which started at the burning bush came to new maturity at the time of the Exile, when the God of Israel, an Israel now deprived of its land and worship, was proclaimed as the God of heaven and earth and described in a simple formula which echoes the words uttered at the burning bush: "I am". This new understanding of God is accompanied by a kind of enlightenment, which finds stark expression in the mockery of gods who are merely the work of human hands (cf. Ps 115). Thus, despite the bitter conflict with those Hellenistic rulers who sought to accommodate it forcibly to the customs and idolatrous cult of the Greeks, biblical faith, in the Hellenistic period, encountered the best of Greek thought at a deep level, resulting in a mutual enrichment evident especially in the later wisdom literature. Today we know that the Greek translation of the Old Testament produced at Alexandria - the Septuagint - is more than a simple (and in that sense really less than satisfactory) translation of the Hebrew text: it is an independent textual witness and a distinct and important step in the history of revelation, one which brought about this encounter in a way that was decisive for the birth and spread of Christianity.[9] A profound encounter of faith and reason is taking place here, an encounter between genuine enlightenment and religion. From the very heart of Christian faith and, at the same time, the heart of Greek thought now joined to faith, Manuel II was able to say: Not to act "with logos" is contrary to God's nature.
    In all honesty, one must observe that in the late Middle Ages we find trends in theology which would sunder this synthesis between the Greek spirit and the Christian spirit. In contrast with the so-called intellectualism of Augustine and Thomas, there arose with Duns Scotus a voluntarism which, in its later developments, led to the claim that we can only know God's voluntas ordinata. Beyond this is the realm of God's freedom, in virtue of which he could have done the opposite of everything he has actually done. This gives rise to positions which clearly approach those of Ibn Hazm and might even lead to the image of a capricious God, who is not even bound to truth and goodness. God's transcendence and otherness are so exalted that our reason, our sense of the true and good, are no longer an authentic mirror of God, whose deepest possibilities remain eternally unattainable and hidden behind his actual decisions. As opposed to this, the faith of the Church has always insisted that between God and us, between his eternal Creator Spirit and our created reason there exists a real analogy, in which - as the Fourth Lateran Council in 1215 stated - unlikeness remains infinitely greater than likeness, yet not to the point of abolishing analogy and its language. God does not become more divine when we push him away from us in a sheer, impenetrable voluntarism; rather, the truly divine God is the God who has revealed himself as logos and, as logos, has acted and continues to act lovingly on our behalf. Certainly, love, as Saint Paul says, "transcends" knowledge and is thereby capable of perceiving more than thought alone (cf. Eph 3:19); nonetheless it continues to be love of the God who is Logos. Consequently, Christian worship is, again to quote Paul - "λογικη λατρεία", worship in harmony with the eternal Word and with our reason (cf. Rom 12:1)

Having established "logos" isnt writen down t men "word" as in a written word he goes on to say
    The thesis that the critically purified Greek heritage forms an integral part of Christian faith has been countered by the call for a dehellenization of Christianity - a call which has more and more dominated theological discussions since the beginning of the modern age

and then outlines three phases
    first the Reformers
    faith no longer appeared as a living historical Word but as one element of an overarching philosophical system. The principle of sola scriptura, on the other hand, sought faith in its pure, primordial form, as originally found in the biblical Word. Metaphysics appeared as a premise derived from another source, from which faith had to be liberated in order to become once more fully itself.

second The liberal theology of the nineteenth and twentieth centurie
    It took as its point of departure Pascal's distinction between the God of the philosophers and the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
    ...This modern concept of reason is based, to put it briefly, on a synthesis between Platonism (Cartesianism) and empiricism, a synthesis confirmed by the success of technology.

prompting
    1. only the kind of certainty resulting from the interplay of mathematical and empirical elements can be considered scientific.
    and
    2. by its very nature this method excludes the question of God, making it appear an unscientific or pre-scientific question.

Consequently, we are faced with a reduction of the radius of science and reason, one which needs to be questioned.

thirdly
    ...the synthesis with Hellenism achieved in the early Church was an initial inculturation which ought not to be binding on other cultures. The latter are said to have the right to return to the simple message of the New Testament prior to that inculturation, in order to inculturate it anew in their own particular milieux. This thesis is not simply false, but it is coarse and lacking in precision. The New Testament was written in Greek and bears the imprint of the Greek spirit, which had already come to maturity as the Old Testament developed.

"Not to act reasonably, not to act with logos, is contrary to the nature of God", said Manuel II, according to his Christian understanding of God, in response to his Persian interlocutor. It is to this great logos, to this breadth of reason, that we invite our partners in the dialogue of cultures.

I

Again, this seems to be a case of point-scoring at the expense of the salient issue at hand.

the issue at hand was the old canard of "atheists dont believe in god and nothing more than that disbelief is not opposing the churc"3

I pointed out that YOU in an earlier post did more than that. you suggested a position of hypocrisy and mistrust of the clergy. so your idea of just having a right to disbelieve isnt relevant.
    Yes. I think they're wrong. As I have said that I believe that Jesus existed that is the obvious implication and it shouldn't need to be explicitly stated.

In which case we have established as far as atheists go you accept a hiostorical jesus and if any atheists come up with the "no Jesus therefore no christ "argument we can direct them cite you who will disagree and we can therefore claim it isnt an argument held by all atheists it is just their anti christian belief.
    That the notion of an omipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient God is not contradicted by some of the content of the bible.

By some interpretations of the bible. just as an earth created 4004BC is.
    That the fact that there have been tens of thousands of religions throughout the past and present does not suggest one of two things:
    1. ...2

What do you mean it suggests 1 and 2 or it does not suggest 1 and 2?
    i.e. are you propôsing 1 and 2 are certainly false?
    It is not something I am going to discuss in depth at present given that I'm studying and I've wasted enough time on this already. I follow this thread to asses the arguments from both sides, and currently I am convinced that the Judeo-Christian God does not exist. It is threads like these that made me grudgingly accept that Christianity is not based on truth.

so you dont believe and applying logical rigor to exposing personal flaws in your position makes you more of an atheist? LOL
    That is not debatable in any Do you think the majority of Christians have assesed the claims of Shintoism, Hinduism or Taoism?

To the extent of whether they believe in a single good God or multiple gods or a balance between good and evil - yes.
    to the extent where they have assessed modern cosmology and particle physics - no.
    This applies to the majority of Muslims, Jews and followers of any other religion as well. By and large, they adopt the religion of their parents and culture and dismiss the others without thought. I am not singling out Christians, my point applies to all religions.

i would reject that notion. i wuld say there is a trend to accept truth for oneself and not because others cultural influences. but this also happens in science. Burbridge and Hoyle are examples of people turned into "pariahs" . I never met Hoyle but Burbridge was strong on this "in crowd" issue.
    Kuhn pointed out in fact science is quite conservative.
    I dont see you claiming we should therefore reject science because of cultural cliques.
    Some individual members of the clergy did not do enough to ensure that paedophiles would not abuse again. A Chruch-wide conspiracy, I do not know enough on this so I would not make the claim nor agree with it .

thank you for that response. i withdraw any claims you are anti catholic on that issue.
    Note the the majority of Catholics, including deeply faithful ones like my grandparents, would agree with the former view, and quite a few would agree with the latter, right or wrong. Anti-Catholic Catholics.

As would your uncle the Bishop no doubt. i dont think that is an unreasonable or anti catholic view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html

Having established "logos" isnt writen down t men "word" as in a written word he goes on to say

and then outlines three phases
    first the Reformers

second The liberal theology of the nineteenth and twentieth centurie

prompting
    1. only the kind of certainty resulting from the interplay of mathematical and empirical elements can be considered scientific.
    and
    2. by its very nature this method excludes the question of God, making it appear an unscientific or pre-scientific question.

Consequently, we are faced with a reduction of the radius of science and reason, one which needs to be questioned.

thirdly

"Not to act reasonably, not to act with logos, is contrary to the nature of God", said Manuel II, according to his Christian understanding of God, in response to his Persian interlocutor. It is to this great logos, to this breadth of reason, that we invite our partners in the dialogue of cultures.

Not sure what any of that has to do with what I posted. Our English words ending in '-ology' simply mean "words about -"

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Not sure what any of that has to do with what I posted. Our English words ending in '-ology' simply mean "words about -"

it is about your comment
    logos means word

but it isnt restricted to that.
    i suggests reason and logic as part of theology

just as the hellinistic greek culture of reason and logic is expressed in "logos"

In the beginning was "logos" refers to the essence of Christianity
    But not just "i Am" or "the word" or christ but to reason as well.

the Christian God is a reasonable God that is distinct from interpretations of the Islamic God for example.

It doesn't just mean "words about God" from a Christian theology point of view.
    It is imbued with hellenistic reason on which anti christian and atheistic elements have spawned their heinous brume.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

it is about your comment

but it isnt restricted to that.
    i suggests reason and logic as part of theology

just as the hellinistic greek culture of reason and logic is expressed in "logos"

In the beginning was "logos" refers to the essence of Christianity
    But not just "i Am" or "the word" or christ but to reason as well.

the Christian God is a reasonable God that is distinct from interpretations of the Islamic God for example.

It doesn't just mean "words about God" from a Christian theology point of view.
    It is imbued with hellenistic reason on which anti christian and atheistic elements have spawned their heinous brume.

Will you give it a rest, even by your standards this is reds under the bed conspiracy forum stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Wh1stler

Manuel II might as well have said, "Not to act reasonably, not to act with logos, is contrary to the nature of nature" and there is nothing in existence that does not act with 'logos'.

Even actions that are evil have their roots in 'logos' so therefore evil is not contrary to the nature of God according to Manuel II's criterion.

It seems reasonable to say then that as the nature of God is reflected in all aspects of existence then the nature of God is 'chaotic', 'random', 'purposeless'; that God is simply the fundamental force that gives rise to gravity, electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces and it is from these forces that reality derives its ability to exist.

The power of God may be the driving force of the Universe but that force takes no more account of creation than gravity does.

But Christianity takes a different view concerning God; the existence of evil is not a reflection on God who can only do good. But He doesn't does He? He doesn't actually do anything. No-ones prayers are answered; sick children aren't saved; missionary nuns in Africa are not protected; He does nothing to stop babies being bombed in Baghdad and paedophile priests do not have anything to fear from Him. In fact, God is quite powerless, or apathetic, in the physical realm and only has actual power over us when we die.

How could we possibly know this to be true?

Or perhaps He gets some kind of kick out of the spectacle of evil. It does appear from reading the Bible that God had a fetish for mass slaughter of humans. There is no, zero, evidence that the God of the Hebrews is in opposition to evil; no evidence that God operates by any moral code. God is not an advocate for peace; He is a 'God of war', as God Himself is alleged to have described Himself.

Even if God does exist, now that the Universe exists, God is completely redundant to its evolution. Man will continue to make war and whether God is pleased or displeased, there will be no consequences for the mass-murderers.

Wh1stler wrote: »
    Manuel II might as well have said,

but he didn't!

argument about what he didn't say has nothing to do with making a statement about rationality and backing it up by what he did say.
    Even actions that are evil have their roots in 'logos' so therefore evil is not contrary to the nature of God according to Manuel II's criterion.

the ideas that "god is good" and "god is reasonable" are two different things.
    It seems reasonable to say then that as the nature of God is reflected in all aspects of existence then the nature of God is 'chaotic', 'random', 'purposeless';

no it does not seem reasonable at all.
    that God is simply the fundamental force that gives rise to gravity, electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces and it is from these forces that reality derives its ability to exist.

such a "watchmaker god" isnt the christian concept of god.
    The power of God may be the driving force of the Universe but that force takes no more account of creation than gravity does.

See my last comment.
    But Christianity takes a different view concerning God; the existence of evil is not a reflection on God who can only do good. But He doesn't does He? He doesn't actually do anything.

Again you confalte two different issues

1. that god is good
    2. that god is a hands off non interference god

the christian god is 1 but not 2
    No-ones prayers are answered; sick children aren't saved; missionary nuns in Africa are not protected; He does nothing to stop babies being bombed in Baghdad and paedophile priests do not have anything to fear from Him. In fact, God is quite powerless, or apathetic, in the physical realm and only has actual power over us when we die.

Again all dealt with in the "problem of evil" arguments earlier.
    Or perhaps He gets some kind of kick out of the spectacle of evil. It does appear from reading the Bible that God had a fetish for mass slaughter of humans.

In your opinion.
    Like the 3gos ordered rpe" argument Im sure others will take you up on this.
    Please dont resort to trying to use the skeptics bible in an attempt to prove a point.
    some fairly well versed biblical scholars will dismantle your theology 101 thesis if you do.
    There is no, zero, evidence that the God of the Hebrews is in opposition to evil; no evidence that God operates by any moral code. God is not an advocate for peace; He is a 'God of war', as God Himself is alleged to have described Himself.
    Restating the above argument
    see my above comments.
    Even if God does exist, now that the Universe exists, God is completely redundant to its evolution. Man will continue to make war and whether God is pleased or displeased, there will be no consequences for the mass-murderers.

Again restating the "watchmaker god" argument.

John used the term logos. Absolutely. This does not mean that John was based on Plato or Aristotle. The "logos" actually goes back a heck of a lot further in Greek philosophy. The "logos" has a lot to do with the first principles that were discussed by the natural philosophers (fuslogikoi) - Thales, Anaximander, Anaximenes, all the way up to people like Hereclitus. I'd recommend The Presocratic Phiosophers by Kirk & Raven if you want to find out a bit more about that.

John is arguing that Jesus is the first principles of the universe. Engaging with the Greek audience, is not quite the same thing as being based on Greek philosophy. Christianity is not based on Greek pagan philosophy it is distinctly Judaic even if John happened to explain it in Greek language.

A year and a bit ago, I was talking to a missionary who serves in Thailand who was over in Ireland briefly to tell us about the Christian Union movement there. He was telling us that Thai people often have a lot of connotations associated with a lot of the words that we explain Christianity with in the West, as a result he needs to explain that same truth in a context where Thai and largely Buddhist people could understand it. That doesn't mean that the Gospel truth is based on Thailand, or on Buddhism, but rather that he had faithfully sought to translate the Gospel truth into Thai without compromising its truth.

The struggle for the Christian in each and every age is to speak that same Gospel truth to all nations. That becomes even more difficult in a multiculture. It is an exciting place to learn if you are interested in evangelising to others and telling them the good news about King Jesus. All people need to believe and trust in Him to be saved.

Seeing as we seem to have ground to a halt on the historicity of Jesus and the bible can I ask another question ?

Is the idea of prayer a call for God to interfere with free will ?

John used the term logos. Absolutely. This does not mean that John was based on Plato or Aristotle. The "logos" actually goes back a heck of a lot further in Greek philosophy. The "logos" has a lot to do with the first principles that were discussed by the natural philosophers (fuslogikoi) - Thales, Anaximander, Anaximenes, all the way up to people like Hereclitus. I'd recommend The Presocratic Phiosophers by Kirk & Raven if you want to find out a bit more about that.
    thanks for the reference.
    i have looked into the first three relating to the history of astronomy. I like the Hericletian fire idea but i need to learn more about it. it seems comparable to zoroastrians and is contemporary to them i believe. No one stands in the same river twice sort of thing.
    John is arguing that Jesus is the first principles of the universe. Engaging with the Greek audience, is not quite the same thing as being based on Greek philosophy.

But johns first principle or Aristotles "first cause" became Acquinas Primum movens
    or Prime mover. It is a cosmological argument for the existence of god.
    Christianity is not based on Greek pagan philosophy it is distinctly Judaic even if John happened to explain it in Greek language.

I would argue the rationality of Christianity and science are both rooted in Greek rationality.
    A year and a bit ago, I was talking to a missionary who serves in Thailand who was over in Ireland briefly to tell us about the Christian Union movement there. He was telling us that Thai people often have a lot of connotations associated with a lot of the words that we explain Christianity with in the West, as a result he needs to explain that same truth in a context where Thai and largely Buddhist people could understand it. That doesn't mean that the Gospel truth is based on Thailand, or on Buddhism, but rather that he had faithfully sought to translate the Gospel truth into Thai without compromising its truth.

Nor does it mean Indian science or thai science is not "western" science.
    Nor is eastern Christianity not Christianity. for at least half the life of christianity the centre of learning was Eastern. that does not negate the rationality inherent in Christianity.
    The struggle for the Christian in each and every age is to speak that same Gospel truth to all nations. That becomes even more difficult in a multiculture. It is an exciting place to learn if you are interested in evangelising to others and telling them the good news about King Jesus. All people need to believe and trust in Him to be saved.

You might influence me if you compared John of the croos or Francis of assissi with sufi mystics buit I dont think there is an occult or third way. Christianity doesn't hide its message . francis one was simple. Material things are ultimately worthless. that Zen masters and sufi mystics preach a similar enlightenment doesn't negate the rational part of Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

marienbad wrote: »

No more than anyone intervening in your life.

marienbad wrote: »
    Seeing as we seem to have ground to a halt on the historicity of Jesus and the bible can I ask another question ?

Your question seems to be based on the position that God cannot be sovereign over all Creation whilst humans are freely willed?

Why do you think that's true?

• Advertisement

No more than anyone intervening in your life.

But God is'nt anyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement