Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI-ORD going to GWO to be scrap

• 23-03-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

[FONT=ARIAL,]EI-ORD is scheduled to be ferried from BOD to GWO on March 29th, where it is to be scrapped. Ferry flight details:-

EIN2122P BOD 0700 BGR 1425/1515 GWO 1845

It will be sad to see this bird gone.:( I had been on this bird couple of time. the seat behind business class is one of the best seat with plenty of legroom.

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Are the newer aer lingus A330's and 320's the enhanced type???? ie. LCD DU's and a touch screen CIDS panel?????

i know theres no entertainment on the 320's,its a crap system anyway,snag central.
    i mean enhanced A320 series aircraft have different things system wise than the older ones just wondering are EI's newest the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Was wondering what A CIDS panel was....

http://www.techsat.com/products/software/avionics-simulations/cids321.html

....Now I know. I used to work on A320s for 2 hours every afternoon (BMed under BA) A few years ago now and all knowledge completely forgotten. Now its CACP's CSCP's (B777) PAT's (B747-400).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

[FONT=ARIAL,]EI-ORD is scheduled to be ferried from BOD to GWO on March 29th, where it is to be scrapped. Ferry flight details:-

It will be sad to see this bird gone.:( I had been on this bird couple of time. the seat behind business class is one of the best seat with plenty of legroom.

[/FONT]

I read on another forum that ORD was being scrapped because of the high cost of maintenance ,apparently it's always got issues of some kind.Now the guy who posted that said he read that somewhere else so not reliable, but she's supposed to be jinxed so who knows.

There is a poster in here that would be able to tell you if that's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I read on another forum that ORD was being scrapped because of the high cost of maintenance ,apparently it's always got issues of some kind.Now the guy who posted that said he read that somewhere else so not reliable, but she's supposed to be jinxed so who knows.

There is a poster in here that would be able to tell you if that's true or not.

It's here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71200079

• Advertisement

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Was wonwering what A CIDS panel was....

sorry i should of said a touch screen FAP which incorporates the old type CIDS control panel into it

David086 wrote: »

That was our personal experiences of EI-ORD ,there is a poster that can verify if ORD was really a sh!t box or not;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Well I put up the other thread about -ORD, David086 was the 'expert' that reckoned it was a heap. I asked how he knew that and never got a reply.

I originally saw it posted on PPrune.

Well I put up the other thread about -ORD, David086 was the 'expert' that reckoned it was a heap. I asked how he knew that and never got a reply.

It's not him im thinking of..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

[/FONT]

Any chance of a brief translation for those who aren't familiar with the aviation equivalent of txt spk ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Lapin wrote: »
    Any chance of a brief translation for those who aren't familiar with the aviation equivalent of txt spk ?

Aer Lingus Flight Number: 2122
    Departs Bordeux at 0700
    Arrive Bangor, Maine at 1425
    Departs Bangor, Maine at 1515
    Arrives LeFlore, Missouri at 1845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i presume they are stopping in BGR to clear immigration?.....they could call into Dub for a final goodbye?

I remember ORD on the production line in Toulouse. I think 16yrs old is the shelf life of these machines. Parts on it will sell for good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    Any flight number with a "P" after it is a positioning flight, ie, no passengers.
    ORD and some of the other older 330s around the world have reached the stage where it's uneconomical to carry out major overhauls, especially guven that some have wingroot rib cracks that would require very deep surgery to fix. So, it's time for parts reclamation and reduction to beer cans for ORD.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

Departs Bordeux at 0700

If it's an EI flight, why is it departing from Bordeaux? Would it not go from Dublin/Shannon or was it in Bordeaux for something to do with Airbus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I doubt it was a "heap" , its like anything thats coming to the end of its life cycle, but those aircraft are looked after better than some children. I think I remember somebody said it spent ages being fixed in chicago over a structural issue. Hardly a heap, Wasnt it fitted out last year with some lovely new IFE? such a waste of money that was.

I presume its in Bordeaux as Aer Lingus get the heavy maintenance done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

squonk wrote: »
    If it's an EI flight, why is it departing from Bordeaux? Would it not go from Dublin/Shannon or was it in Bordeaux for something to do with Airbus?

EI send their A330 to Bordeaux for heavy maintenance. Perhaps during this they spotted a problem which then ended up with the decision that it wasn't worth it to fix.

The recent 2010 results mentioned that they had an extra A330 unit and that they were looking to sell her off or lease it out. Obviously something has changed in the last month. Once that decision was taken then there is no reason (beyond nostalgia) for it to go anywhere near SNN/DUB again.

EDIT for kona: According to the 2010 results there are a total of 4 A320 due this year. (EI-DVM is the 2nd of these) No more deliveries currently planned for EI for 4 years after that. The 3 A333 that were pushed back to 2013 have now been switched to A350 slots for delivery in 2017-18. And the 6 A350 are not due until 2015-2016.
    Info on this site that someone else posted recently:
    http://www.jethros.eu/fleets/fleet_listings/aer_lingus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bessarion wrote: »
    EI send their A330 to Bordeaux for heavy maintenance. Perhaps during this they spotted a problem which then ended up with the decision that it wasn't worth it to fix.

The recent 2010 results mentioned that they had an extra A330 unit and that they were looking to sell her off or lease it out. Obviously something has changed in the last month. Once that decision was taken then there is no reason (beyond nostalgia) for it to go anywhere near SNN/DUB again.

Isnt there a 330 due from airbus this year too? Then they will get the new A350 in a few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

kona wrote: »
    Isnt there a 330 due from airbus this year too? Then they will get the new A350 in a few years too.

AFAIK the decision was taken to convert that order to an A350.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Lapin wrote: »

Better not try and read Steyr's posts then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Departs Bordeux at 0700

The destination airport is usually known as Greenwood, Mississippi and quite a number of airliners have been dismantled there:
    http://www.airliners.net/photo//1295698/L/

Here are some other photos depicting the airfield and its history: http://www.gwoairport.com/history-photos.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gandalf50

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Any flight number with a "P" after it is a positioning flight, ie, no passengers.
    ORD and some of the other older 330s around the world have reached the stage where it's uneconomical to carry out major overhauls, especially guven that some have wingroot rib cracks that would require very deep surgery to fix. So, it's time for parts reclamation and reduction to beer cans for ORD.
    regards
    Stovepipe

16 or 17 years does not seem that old for a plane. Was there a higher than average use of this plane?
    I heard that the Shannon stop over had a detrimental effect on planes due to the extra take offs and landings, also the runway at Dublin is not very long.
    Would these factors have an effect on the aging of the plane?

If you look at some of the large US carriers they have planes still flying at 20 - 30 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

[/FONT]

Any chance you could write in plain English without the acronymns? There are plenty of people who are in interested in aviation but will have no idea what you are referring to. Be inclusive!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

BrianD wrote: »
    Any chance you could write in plain English without the acronymns? There are plenty of people who are in interested in aviation but will have no idea what you are referring to. Be inclusive!

Read the whole thread. Its already been asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

BrianD wrote: »

Your post is number 23.If your read post 21 a little above it you will see the explanation previously given by Preset No.3 quoted in it.

I was also grateful for this plain english explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

EI-ORD is on the market for sale. It might be scrapped by whoever buys it but AL are not scrapping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

my mate is cabin crew for EI, She says that bird is a "bucket" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

my mate is cabin crew for EI, She says that bird is a "bucket" lol

A bucket it may be but it is even in its current state a far superior and comfortable plane to be on then the bone rattlers American Airways, US Airways, Delta and Contenental use. I dread having to do a Trans-Atlantic flight using a US airline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

it's no bucket but the market forces dictate that it's airframe of 16yrs values it less than it being parted for spares. Thats the cold reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is it the first A330 that was delivered to EI?

Agree with Beercat there too, if maintaining or overhauling EI-ORD costs more than selling it for parts then it'll be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

EI-DUB(cn-54) and EI-SHN(cn-55) were the first ones delivered to EI in May 1994.
    EI-SHN is now F-OMSA and EI-DUB is now VQ-BEU

EI-ORD CN59 was delivered to Air Inter as F-GMDD in June 1994 and joined the EI fleet in March 1997

Advertisement