Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone administering Vaccines to their dogs themselves

• 18-01-2010 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Anyone? I googled and it seems to be common in the US.

Is it possible to do it here and if so where do you get the vaccines?

Any information will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Loopy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I do it myself, I get the vaccines from my vet over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Have done it myself in the past but not recently, mainly due to there always being another reason to go to the vet with one of the dogs so whoever is due a vax tags along :rolleyes:

They cost the same whether you do it yourself or get the vet to do it and you have the added benefit of the vet giving your dog a once over if you go in. Even if you do give them yourself, you still need a yearly visit to make sure everything is running ok with your dog. Generally, the only benefit I can see with doing them yourself is convenience and if your dog is particularly afraid or nervy of the vet it reduces the stress for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Have done it myself in the past but not recently, mainly due to there always being another reason to go to the vet with one of the dogs so whoever is due a vax tags along :rolleyes:

They cost the same whether you do it yourself or get the vet to do it and you have the added benefit of the vet giving your dog a once over if you go in. Even if you do give them yourself, you still need a yearly visit to make sure everything is running ok with your dog. Generally, the only benefit I can see with doing them yourself is convenience and if your dog is particularly afraid or nervy of the vet it reduces the stress for them.

do you not get charged a "consultation" fee if you get the Vet to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Paul91 wrote: »
    do you not get charged a "consultation" fee if you get the Vet to do it?

Nope, we are just charged for the vaccination. I got two of mine done this month, just last week, and the bill was only for the vaccinations (plus antibiotics for another dog) - no consultation fee for any of the three dogs there because we were getting vaxes.

If we had gone in with only the chap that had the infection we would have been charged a consultation fee, so two bird with one stone bringing the three in!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

They cost the same whether you do it yourself or get the vet to do it .

Perhaps that is the case with your vet...but I don't think that's the norm.

I vax my own dogs...and have done for a good while. If I vax my own dog, it costs me €15 per dog, per jab. If I get my vet to do it, it costs me €30 per dog, per jab.

With 6 dogs here...it makes financial sense to do my own.
    My vet is satisfied that I am capable of giving the jabs, and supplies them to me over the counter.
    I am also confident that should one of my dogs have an adverse reaction (rare but can happen, and extremely serious when it does!) I know the symptoms and can get the dog to my vet within 10 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks for all the replies, I will speak to the vet and find out if there is a difference in price.

Regards

Loopy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

My parents get their vaccinations from a Vet supply store (not a pet store) in Cork at €5 each and I do them for them. So if you are near a Vet supply store you would get them cheaper there.

Most Vets do charge a consultation fee, including where I work. It's a pretty easy thing to do but people can get it wrong (and I've seen it done wrong many times making the vaccinations useless), so if you're unsure I would say go to your Vet to be on the safe side. I know most people would rather take €5 over €30+ but if it's done wrong it's pointless so I'd rather spend the extra money if it was me to make sure it was done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I could get them for 7 Euro at my vets but can't as I need the certs for the rescues. I do, however, vacc my own dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iw82

I vaccinate myself & get the vaccines from our local vet.

One of the reasons for doing so is that occassionally we breed a litter & I really try to avoid exposure to a veterinary surgery if at all possible at that age.

It's just far too easy for them to pick up something in there, especially in the waiting areas etc... Everyone loves a puppy & wants to stroke them... but they have just been handling their own pets & if they have some bug or virus it can be transmitted to them.

I'm happy to do it myself because I'm experienced with animals & know what adverse reactions to look out for etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I vaccinate myself aswell, but i can get it for cost price. It might be worth asking your vet is this a possibility, but a health check every once in awhile is also worth it for the consultation fee. You might miss things like enlarged lymph nodes (which i did).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

The only thing to be wary about here are intra muscular vaccinations, where nerve damage is a known complication due to inaccurate application of the needle.

Vets don't just pick a random spot somewhere on the leg you should know what nerve fibres you are trying to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I vaccinate my pets myself (just because I have 5 cats who wouldn't like going to the vet and it'd be a hassle, and three dogs), my mother is a nurse so she showed me how, also I'm studying animal care. It's very easy but you should probably get your vet to show you how to do it the first time though.

Oh and remember when you put the needle in under the skin, to draw back the syringe a little to make sure you're not in a vein, if blood comes out then you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We have a Morganafay & a Morganna le fey - are you related ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Two downsides to vaccinating yourself, your dog doesn't get a health check just before hand which is important if something is picked up during the health check then it's not a good idea to vaccinate until it's cleared up.

The other downside is that you don't get a vets signature so dogs/cats won't be accepted into kennels without it.

I would do it myself but we never know when the dogs would have to go to kennels, they're usually at the vets for one reason or another during the year but I feel more comfortable if they have a health check first.

It's just under 12.00 to buy a vaccination over the counter where we are, but one vets is charging 38 and another 40 to vaccinate got our dogs done recently for 30 at another vets just as good but cheaper.
    I think charging 35 to 40 is a shame esp. if someone is a regular client.

Advertisement