Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusty Rhodes RIP

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    On Cody and the stardust thing it should just be Cody on Monday as how can they expect him to concentrate on his character when his dad has just died ?

They'll probably give Cody a fair bit of time off. But when he returns and if it's as Stardust, it wouldn't be right. If they were ever going to let Cody be Cody again it's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I was in work when my friend texted me about this on Thursday evening and it just knocked me for six. As I outlined in the match of the year thread, I am a big fan of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Yeah it just makes sense to have Cody return to normal, even kayfabe-wise the loss of his father is something that would believably snap him back to his senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah it just makes sense to have Cody return to normal, even kayfabe-wise the loss of his father is something that would believably snap him back to his senses.

Cody's character, whatever direction it goes in, will probably get a fair goodwill push over the next little while. While going back to plain Cody Rhodes would make sense, a somber demeanor, short trunks and pointing to the sky after beating a low-card jobber wouldn't make for great entertainment. Arguably, Cody still has not found his niche, but, like his brother, it's hard to see his niche being in just being a guy. It didn't work for Dustin when he was Dustin Runnels. If he does change, he'll have to figure out how to be entertaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Excellent video.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watched the WWE network special this morning that aired after raw. Jesus wwe need to stop making such brilliant documentaries and tributes. It was nice but it was also heartbreaking to watch people loss it and break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭briany

Seeing Vince out there with the roster paying his respects on Sunday, I'm reminded that he & Dusty didn't see eye to eye too much throughout the years. He may be the wrestler who Vince took the most digs at. You had Akeem the African Dream - a white man who acted black, to begin with, then you had Dusty in the WWF where he was stuck with the polkadots and Sweet Sapphire (of course, there is still disagreement over whether that was fully Dusty's idea or what). Of course, there was Virgil as well, and another character I just found, portrayed by Bruce Pritchard called Reo Rodgers, who was a very unabashed imitation of Dusty. He didn't last long. I know that Dusty represented the competition to Vince and the territory men who opposed him, but I never saw Jim Crockett, Bill Watts or any the others get the same kind of lambasting. Story even goes that when Stephanie hired Dusty to the creative team, Vince basically just acknowledged Dusty when they met. That was the first time they'd directly spoken since Dusty leaving the WWF back in the early 90s. No hug, no handshake. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

The network documentary was great, but I was squirming listening to Vince explain the polka dots and Sapphire.

Dusty's opinion of it was that he wasn't sure if it was a rib but he was going to make it work all the same. You can see that work ethic in both his sons, especially Cody who has been saddled with sh1t at times but got it over regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Rip Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Loved the Network doc.

If you haven't seen it, go out of your way to. It's well worth it. Emotional stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Pentecost

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Loved the Network doc.

If you haven't seen it, go out of your way to. It's well worth it. Emotional stuff

Just watched it. Got something in my eye there towards the end. So many of them were close to tears and it was so rare to see Steph actually crying and Triple H struggling not to. What a great man he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Great tribute

Choked up at the end most definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Wow, that's powerful. Very well written.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kevin Kobasic's Tribute to Dusty Rhodes' "Hard times" promo. Note the guy wearing the gold watch. Awesome!

18299661834_cea0b9b764_b.jpg

You can watch that promo here:

From the NXT taping last night:

Very sad to see the reactions as the NXT crew are both younger and had a lot more day to day interaction with him. Was pleased to see Leva "Blue Pants" Bates was included as Dusty really liked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Scott Hall tribute

Just got an email from the WWE network about a dusty Rhodes live special that is after raw tonight and I checked and it isn't the one we had before.

• Advertisement

So apparently this thing is going to be live from the arena in Chicago. I guess like the podcasts?

So apparently this thing is going to be live from the arena in Chicago. I guess like the podcasts?

Watched about two minutes of it. It's Jerry the king lawler hosting it. I stopped after flair decided to tell the same story about how he started in the AWA and how he met dusty. Haven't heard arn, JJ Dillon or Michael Hayes comments yet as I can't listen to flair talk.

I'm sure ric is a nice guy and he was one of the best ever but I can't listen to him tell stories. Not everything he says is the funniest thing ever said.😡😡 so sop laughing ric FFS

I don't mind him. Probably because I can get into that sort of laughing form when I'm telling stories from my party days as well. I watched the whole thing this morning because I was too wrecked once Raw ended last night. It was pretty good. J.J Dillon & Arn Anderson were the best speakers in terms of putting it all in perspective I thought, definitely.

DDPs tribute to dusty Rhodes.

A year ago today. Where has that year gone ? Anyway RIP dusty Rhodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love the 'Hard Times' promo. The guy just had it.

I'm sure his teaching and insight is sadly missed down at the NXT training centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

My Father in Law died suddenly one year ago today. I didnt realise Dusty was the same day. For some reason I thought Dusty was a day or two later

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Can't believe it's already been a year. When I first read that it was a year I was convinced the article was wrong.

Three years today. I've no idea where those three years have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bischoff and Conrads podcast this week is all about Dusty in WCW and Hulk Hogan even makes a guest cameo on the podcast. Well worth a listen for any Dusty fans.

Advertisement