Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G broadband at home and iPad

• 05-03-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine was asking me some stuff about iPads as she was thinking of getting one, and there was one thing I wasn't 100% on so just wanted to check with you guys.

She lives up in the mountains in no-man's-land as far as conventional wired broadband goes, so she uses one of those 3G broadband solutions - I'm not very familiar with them.

She was asking then if that meant that she would have to get a wifi & 3G iPad for it to be able to work at home. I would assume not, as I guess her 3G broadband creates a wireless network in the home which a wifi-only iPad could connect to as normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭guil

The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

guil wrote: »
    The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point

Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Branoic wrote: »
    Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?
    Yep, spot on.

Advertisement