Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AA1234

StingrayGC wrote: »
    Hi there folks, a quick question can anyone tell me roughly how long you have to wait between PCA and medical, I am currently working abroad and need to plan accordingly, thanks in advance.

Hi, I don't know about other guys but my medical date was less than 3 weeks later than my PCA. Once you pass your PCA you need to make an appointment with your GP immediately to have them fill in their part of the form. I was very lucky cos it usually take weeks for a doctors appointment at my health centre lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tino77

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Tino, can I ask did you have to wait 12 weeks before doing your PCA again? I think the PTI at my familiarisation said that you could retake your test at one of the support sessions so even 2 weeks after failing you could take it again?

Yeah you can take it early if you want to, I took mine early

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

tino77 wrote: »
    Yeah you can take it early if you want to, I took mine early

Thanks for that. The reason I'm asking is I've been out of action for two weeks now with a leg injury so haven't been able to run at all :( obviously I want to pass first time but this has set me back a fair bit and I really wouldn't want to wait 12 weeks to do it again!

Edit: and my PCA is coming up very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Got my PCA date today. Im happy enough with how far away it is. However, I am most certainly unavailable for the familirisation session due to work. What does this actually involve and will I be disadvantaged if I do not attend? There is no one to cover me at work and I cant afford to pull a sick day.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Joe789 wrote: »
    Got my PCA date today. Im happy enough with how far away it is. However, I am most certainly unavailable for the familirisation session due to work. What does this actually involve and will I be disadvantaged if I do not attend? There is no one to cover me at work and I cant afford to pull a sick day.

Joe the familirisation day is VITAL, at it you will get to try ALL the obsticles, speak to the PTIs, be walked through the course, given some tips on training and a run down on the full day.

I am a STRONG advocate of attneding it. No cover at work, can you book a holiday? Can you swap shifts?

You have to ask yourself a serious question here, how much do you want this job?

Now its clearly not the end of the world if you miss it, some argue its a lot easier with the Push/Pull been removed. However nothing, nothing at all was stopping me attending mine (when push/pull was needed).

There is a video of it on youtube at the vert least I'd watch it a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Yeh I have watched the video numerous times but obviously being able to actually get a feel for it is the best way to prepare. Well with holidays at this time of year I am basically covering someone else for two weeks. Of course I am going to try and maybe they will have another session before my PCA which I will enquire about.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

If I were you I'd do what's needed to go to it- the pca is equal parts technique and fitness in my opinion I picked up little ways of doing things on the fam day that made a huge difference the video cannot compare! It is the one little thing thing you can do (aside from all your training),that will increase your chances immeasurably

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Potential Constable Dibble

So the PCA date and info arrived today thankfully.
    It does refer to the push pull as one of both aspects of the PCA.

My question, to anyone who can shed some light and to those who didn't have to go through the push pull.
    Was reference made to the push pull in your PCA invitation letter? I'm guessing that it's just a standard letter containing the same info. But would be good to know either way.

Although the letter reads that it's included so really I should Just be prepared for any situation is probably the soundest advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

The first group who don't have to go through push pull will have their PCAs coming up in the next two weeks. We were told in the familiarisation session that the push pull has been taken out and I'm sure it'll be the same when you get to yours.

Although saying that, maybe they haven't taken it out of the letter in case the PSNI decide to do a U-turn and keep it in for the next group. You just never know! They have their asses covered either way.

panini wrote: »
    The first group who don't have to go through push pull will have their PCAs coming up in the next two weeks. We were told in the familiarisation session that the push pull has been taken out and I'm sure it'll be the same when you get to yours.

Although saying that, maybe they haven't taken it out of the letter in case the PSNI decide to do a U-turn and keep it in for the next group. You just never know! They have their asses covered either way.

Many thanks Panini, much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Well that's the online learning put to bed. Now to put down the burgers and get my back side in gear to hit this PCA!

Does anyone else whose PCA is coming up very soon go from feeling super pumped and ready for it to feeling majorly depressed and feeling like they aren't up to it? I've been the most emotional, moody person the past 6 weeks struggling to feel like I can do it with injuries etc. it's so hard knowing that you're knocking your pan in with training but is it enough?!?!?!
    Aah! Can't think about it without getting knots in my stomach...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

Catdog33 wrote:
    Does anyone else whose PCA is coming up very soon go from feeling super pumped and ready for it to feeling majorly depressed and feeling like they aren't up to it? I've been the most emotional, moody person the past 6 weeks struggling to feel like I can do it with injuries etc. it's so hard knowing that you're knocking your pan in with training but is it enough?!?!?! Aah! Can't think about it without getting knots in my stomach...

I really wouldn't worry about it, if you've been training then you will fly through it, I have to do a fitness test every year with work. If you've been training it's no problem if you haven't then you'll struggle. Relax you'll be fine, just give it all and slow down for the balance beams :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Does anyone else whose PCA is coming up very soon go from feeling super pumped and ready for it to feeling majorly depressed and feeling like they aren't up to it? I've been the most emotional, moody person the past 6 weeks struggling to feel like I can do it with injuries etc. it's so hard knowing that you're knocking your pan in with training but is it enough?!?!?!

Keep your head up, I've mine number of weeks away too, been training from December lost over a stone and half in weight and all I can think is I'll trip up those bloody stairs or fall of the wall! Stop thinking negatives if you've been training your second gear will kick in with the adrenaline on the day :)

I had a horrendous dream last night about falling off the wall and everything lol! I just want it to be over!!

I had a horrendous dream last night about falling off the wall and everything lol! I just want it to be over!!

You'll be great it's only natural to panic and at least you have another chance should an error happen which wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 820sox

I was the exact same. It played complete havoc with me. But it's because you want it so badly. You are just doubting your own ability, which you shouldn't as you've trained for it, some people will turn up without doing anything and they should be the ones worrying.

I was completely flustered, and was shaking when I was walking to start line, but when you start you just have to get on with it. Jus focus on what obstacle you have in front of you, and go all out.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Right!!!!! You stop that now!!!! I've said it several times before. That PCA is more mind over matter. I wasn't particularly fit after my injury the 2nd time round and I passed it. You'll feel like you're about to collapse in a heap, possibly several times and that's when you have to push harder. This is an all or nothing moment. 4 minutes of your life and you're closer to the call and the career of many people's dreams. The only person that will get in your way is you! I know how you feel and that's what we're here for. Everyone will be in the same boat as you. Try to forget about it, train as much as you can and chill out. Distract yourself if you can. Plus IF you don't pass first time round my lovely you'll be able to retest so there's no point worrying yourself sick over it xx

Thanks mop, what would we all do without your support? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Thanks mop, what would we all do without your support? :)

Chin up my lovely, we all get those dark days and have moments of doubt but once you're standing at the start line, butterflies in your gut and feeling like you're going to throw up while you're listening to the count down, as soon as you hear "go" it all disappears and all you need to do is focus on the obstacle ahead, get the thick head on and go as fast as you possibly can. I've faith in you, the rest of us do too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

PCA done today. Passed! It almost killed me but worth it.

badi15 wrote: »
    PCA done today. Passed! It almost killed me but worth it.

Well done! great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Could you not just lie and say it was really easy! :P Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

I've mixed feelings about it. I got a good time and wasn't close to being to slow but it didn't feel like that at the time. I gave it everything I had and was completely knackered at the end. I don't think I could've physically done a 4th lap even if I had unlimited time. So basically, it's extremely tough work, but so long as you've been training for it you should be ok with it.

Passed PCA today also, like badi I got a decent time but it wasn't easy when I was panting my way around the course! Fingers crossed the med dates come soon.

Passed PCA today also, like badi I got a decent time but it wasn't easy when I was panting my way around the course! Fingers crossed the med dates come soon.

Well done guys!

Can you tell me how you get informed of a pass or fail? Do they just tell you there and then? Give you your time? Etc

Thanks guys

Well done guys!

Can you tell me how you get informed of a pass or fail? Do they just tell you there and then? Give you your time? Etc

Thanks guys

You get an envelope at the end and inside that it informs you of your time and push pull score (we had to do it but it isn't part of your assessment) and if you passed you get a medical questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

There wasn't long between my PCA and medical, you'll get a wee letter in no time. Well done on passing =)

So considering some have done PCA yesterday and no doubt some more in next coming days I can assume that this lot will be the Oct/Nov intake as the August ones are getting ready to go in, that would leave the lot who have PCA date just received last week for a potential January intake???

• Advertisement

Derob wrote: »
    So considering some have done PCA yesterday and no doubt some more in next coming days I can assume that this lot will be the Oct/Nov intake as the August ones are getting ready to go in, that would leave the lot who have PCA date just received last week for a potential January intake???

I've no idea really. Though surely they will try and begin new squad every 4/5 weeks? I'd say those guys doing their PCA etc now would be looking at mid September (that's if a squad would be started mid month - though I don't see a reason why not)
    I've got my PCA towards the start of September, I know we have to wait for medical and "the call" but surely there's no reason why another squad could be started at the beginning/mid November?

As I say maybe the dates would be a bit tight, but now the 12 th etc holidays are over I'd say things would start to move fairly quickly? Though this is just me thinking out loud.

Advertisement