Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming soon to TV3

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I think tv3 have done really well with this series to be fair to them - I wasn't expecting much, but I've been very happiy surprised.

Has really shown the ambulance service in a good light and hasn't been boring, which the Irish ones tend to be.

And that Paramedic (Peter?) from Cork is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I think tv3 have done really well with this series to be fair to them - I wasn't expecting much, but I've been very happiy surprised.

Has really shown the ambulance service in a good light and hasn't been boring, which the Irish ones tend to be.

And that Paramedic (Peter?) from Cork is great!

Yeh i must say it's been good also to show all sides of the ambulance service.

Not just life and death stuff constantly which those type shows drift to easily, had the section on the ICV's last week etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That Entonox gas stuff is some craic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those two Cork hockey-playing sisters were hilarious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great show. Glad they showed both mental health issues and the elderly, very sad.

Can't think of any negatives. The cameras know when to hang back and the call takers deserve a lot of praise, too.

• Advertisement

Just watching this now.

There's a lot more to their job than traffic accidents.

Gordon Ramsey has a brilliant way of chatting to people.

One of the calltakers is the living image of Charlie Murphy (Siobhán in Love/Hate)!

This is a great series, very well balanced in how it's portraying everyone (both the workers, and their "customers")

Awww jeez, that postman's story was so heartbreaking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The last episode ends early on 3 player; damnit.

The final episode was sad and funny. The sad part was moving and not overdone. The humour brought some welcome relief and it's good to see they can have some fun given the nature of the job.

That old lady whose husband died has me in tears here :o

She's so lovely. As are the paramedics who were talking about that whole end of life / palliative care thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That old lady whose husband died has me in tears here :o

She's so lovely. As are the paramedics who were talking about that whole end of life / palliative care thing.

That got to me too ohs mum died in that hospice

Her story was very touching

Think it's time for some positive email feedback to TV3. One of the best things they've made, not that there's a long list, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Paramedics series 2 trailer

Series 2 starts this Wednesday at 8:30.

https://twitter.com/TV3Ireland/status/795242590681477120

The third and final series of Paramedics starts tonight at 9pm on TV3.

https://youtu.be/sX4nZub9wYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was surprised to see how casual and informal things seemed to be for routing Rescue 116 to the incident at the Sugar Loaf. There was no GPS coordinates, just 'we're in the field to the left of the N11 at the Sugar Loaf. I don't think they even mentioned whether it was the Big or Little Sugar Loaf on the radio.

Is it really that casual in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

It was surprised to see how casual and informal things seemed to be for routing Rescue 116 to the incident at the Sugar Loaf. There was no GPS coordinates, just 'we're in the field to the left of the N11 at the Sugar Loaf. I don't think they even mentioned whether it was the Big or Little Sugar Loaf on the radio.

Is it really that casual in real life?

That was real life.

That was real life.

It was an edited version of real life. Do they really give directions like that when calling in a rescue helicopter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

When the helicopter is requested, control in Dublin know the exact location (gps) of the ambulance, and can pass that on. I guess the helicopter was getting location of the crew / patient. There can often be quite a distance between ambu & crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Having called in both civilian heli's here in the US and MEDEVAC in the Middle East, it seems about the same. We'll give a G. PS grid as a start point for the heli then "talk them in" once they get overhead. We'd nominate an LZ but ultimately it's up to the pilot where they land. This was especially applicable as you'd be amazed how even in the emergency services people have no concept of simple cardinal directions. Military are generally spot on as everyone has a compass, especially if you are calling in a bird, less so with civvies. End of the day it's easier to have a conversation in plain English ie "we are just off the road near a large green barn with the fire engine outside". Flight crew can sort it from there, ultimately they won't land unless they are satisfied it's safe.

• Advertisement

irishrgr wrote: »
    Having called in both civilian heli's here in the US and MEDEVAC in the Middle East, it seems about the same. We'll give a G. PS grid as a start point for the heli then "talk them in" once they get overhead. We'd nominate an LZ but ultimately it's up to the pilot where they land. This was especially applicable as you'd be amazed how even in the emergency services people have no concept of simple cardinal directions. Military are generally spot on as everyone has a compass, especially if you are calling in a bird, less so with civvies. End of the day it's easier to have a conversation in plain English ie "we are just off the road near a large green barn with the fire engine outside". Flight crew can sort it from there, ultimately they won't land unless they are satisfied it's safe.
    Thanks, that makes a lot more sense, so they already gave/used the GPS coordinates to get the chopper to the ambulance, and were just 'fine tuning' with the verbal instructions.

Yep...pretty much. More than once we've had to get the patient to the aircraft or get the flight crew to us and then back to the heli. Plenty of carrying, or using the bed of a pick up, strapped on the front of an ATV, whatever. Shame it can't be like in the movies...you never see them slogging through mud and horse****e lugging deadweight for 1000Min 45 degree C heat  because you are in a gully the heli can't get too....wouldn't want a flight medic to mess up their kit now would we :-) 
    Question "How do you know there is a flight medic at the party?"
    Answer "Just wait five minutes, he'll tell you,,,,"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For such a rugged and rural country we live in, the Ambulance service is in my opinion seriously ill prepared for outdoor pursuits. Two cases in which those portable hospital trolleys called stretchers weren't the correct equipment for the task in hand, this man in a field and that lady on the beach.
    A few health board ambulance services used to have jeeps adapted to take stretchers. Something I see voluntary agencies keep up, why doesn't the NAS have that anymore?

While I can't speak for the NAS, I would imagine, like here, it's the "80% solution" rule. IE, ambulances are designed to be driven on roads the overwhelming majority of the time, so you equip your fleet for that. The rare time the patient is inaccessible, even in the rural or remote area's you figure it out. That's where your partners in mountain rescue, civil defense or helicopters come in. It's just not economically viable to maintain a fleet of niche capability vehicles for rare circumstances. Even in the remote parts of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado they use "regular" ambulances (some are 4WD for the snow both otherwise standard) and work with the various rescue teams for extrication to the transport site.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

flazio wrote: »
    For such a rugged and rural country we live in, the Ambulance service is in my opinion seriously ill prepared for outdoor pursuits. Two cases in which those portable hospital trolleys called stretchers weren't the correct equipment for the task in hand, this man in a field and that lady on the beach.
    A few health board ambulance services used to have jeeps adapted to take stretchers. Something I see voluntary agencies keep up, why doesn't the NAS have that anymore?

Often the decision to procure vehicles gets zero input from the actual staff who will use them. The old Isuzu Troopers of the NAS were excellent and were fitted with a stretcher and ability for monitoring. More recently the decision was made within the NAS to withdraw the Suburu Forrester SUV in favour of the Hyundai i40. Those in AGS and NAS will now know that the i40 is completely impractical as a response vehicle compared to other options on the state vehicle procurement list.

Advertisement