Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

pinkstars wrote: »
    So who is eager to purchase?

I was in the lead up to the announcement but rather unsure now. Have cash ready and everything. The October release is probably a good thing so will give me time to peruse all the forthcoming reviews and also see what Apple and the next Nexus have to offer.

The main disappointments for me are no waterproofing, no fingerprint scanner(Not sure about this?), rear speaker, no usb 3.0 and the size of the bezels. The bezels aren't huge but I was really hoping they would be as small as the ones in the fake leak a few days ago. None of these are deal breakers so unless something comes up in the next month or so I'll probably get the Note 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

was nearly 100% before announcement but was left unimpressed tbh, and with the release date being a good bit away i think im going to wait and see what the nexus will be like

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

I too was 100% before the launch, now I won't be changing.

No waterproofing and rear speaker are the deal breakers for me.
    I've had the Note 1, 2, 3, looks like I'll be passing on the 4:( and I was sooooo looking forward to it.

If the mobile operators are doing good deals I could change but I normally buy sim free with O2 20% priority discount.

This is a good video that goes a bit more into hardware details

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Interesting video, good to see the phone up close. He does come across a bit fanboy-ish though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Wow the stylus is pink too, and the power button is clicky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I wasn't blown away by anything for sure but the edge version looks like a nice addition. Think ill get that if its widely available. It should be a nice upgrade from the note 2,if i had a 3 then i dont think i would bother.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I'm currently on the HTC M8, and am due an upgrade next month. Either way, I'll be keeping the M8, but was leaning towards the Note 4, partly because I enjoyed having the Note 2, and it will have decent resale value.

Some of the things that might bother other people (waterproofing/rear facing speaker etc) don't bother me, but at the same time I must admit I'm underwhelmed. That said, really can't see anything else jumping out at me in the next month or two.

How much of a step up from the Note 2 would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I think it would be noticeable.

To be it seems like a bigger S5 at the moment. Having had the M8 and using an S5 right now keep the M8 and save the upgrade for the M9. I'd also wager HTC might launch an M9 phablet too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Basil3 wrote: »
    How much of a step up from the Note 2 would it be?

From N2 to N4, substantial. From N3 to N4. Not nearly as much, imo.
    Which is part of the reason i, and maybe many others, are gonna pass for thise round.

Aside from that, it just seems like Samsung aren't doing much to react to their apparently weakening sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Seems a lot of Note 3 owners are disappointed, what would have made this a must buy ? What did Samsung leave out ?

I really don't see what else they could have done, seems a very solid update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

beno619 wrote: »
    Seems a lot of Note 3 owners are disappointed, would would have made this a must buy ? What did Samsung leave out ?

For me, the rear speaker is a deal breaker.

bottom speaker and some waterproofing and I might have gone for it

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Note 3 owner here ,love it , was so looking forward to the note 4 , the waterproofing is what I was hoping for,I would have bought it for that alone, but think I will wait till note 5 or s6 , not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrade at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beno619 wrote: »
    Seems a lot of Note 3 owners are disappointed, what would have made this a must buy ? What did Samsung leave out ?

I'm not sure what they could have done either but I personally don't see any incentive to upgrade either.

As I mentioned above, any software updates will make it to the Note 3 anyway either officially or through Custom ROMs. As for the hardware improvements.. do we really NEED ultra-high resolutions on what is still a phone? Bigger battery? Nice, but worth €600? S-Pen.. maybe it's just me but having owned all 3 Notes so far, it's not something I use all that much - it's more a "nice to have occasional novelty" to me. The big screen and customisation is what appeals to me.

I think smartphones have hit a development wall just like PCs did years ago.. new models may be slightly faster and have a few new gimmicks (heart monitors, smart watch accessories etc), but when you take those out there's not really anything there your previous one can't do just as well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wonder if the Edge edition will come out here and when?

It's a shame there's two versions at all, they should have just made a quality phone with the extra screen bezel edge. The Edge version has a slightly inferior battery and other little niggly things that need weighing up to see if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Main reason I can see for upgrading is to the get rid of this Note 3. Buggy piece of crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

Main reason I can see for upgrading is to the get rid of this Note 3. Buggy piece of crap!!

Seems like you got a dud, mine hasn't skipped a beat in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

pah wrote: »
    Seems like you got a dud, mine hasn't skipped a beat in 6 months

Mine has skipped many unfortunately. Have had to reset it completely 3/4 times since I got it. Eventually slows right down and the battery life becomes appalling.

Beyond that, the really cheap silver plastic rim is chipping a wee bit despite never being dropped.

Loved the Note 2 so much. Note 3 has been a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Mine has skipped many unfortunately. Have had to reset it completely 3/4 times since I got it. Eventually slows right down and the battery life becomes appalling.

Beyond that, the really cheap silver plastic rim is chipping a wee bit despite never being dropped.

Loved the Note 2 so much. Note 3 has been a disappointment.

Sounds like the reason I got rid of mine after 2 weeks! It was slow and bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

was considering moving from N2 to N4.

However I find it disappointing that they have stuck with a 5.7" screen. I was hoping for at least 6". Okay to some that may sound overkill, but the essence of the Note is that it boasts a screen much larger than the rest. And now that gap has unfortunately narrowed. I do feel they can push to 6" or even 6.5".

I was also hoping for waterproofing. Not essential, but it's still a disappointment.

Only the Edge version looks attractive. However I think this may point to a better Note 5 overall... and possibly it may be worth waiting. Hmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

biebiebie wrote: »

However I find it disappointing that they have stuck with a 5.7" screen. I was hoping for at least 6". Okay to some that may sound overkill, but the essence of the Note is that it boasts a screen much larger than the rest. And now that gap has unfortunately narrowed. I do feel they can push to 6" or even 6.5".

I was also hoping for waterproofing. Not essential, but it's still a disappointment.

Only the Edge version looks attractive. However I think this may point to a better Note 5 overall... and possibly it may be worth waiting. Hmm!

If your looking for a 6 inch screen look at the Huawei find 7. It was just announced at IFA and looks like a great piece of kit. To big for me unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

biebiebie wrote: »

I moved back to a Note 3 this week from a 6" Nokia Lumia 1320

I love bigger screens too but 6" is just a little too big IMO. The Note 3 is just about right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

.......€800, thats a little bit crazy! definitely waiting to see what google will be offering by the end of the year

leemaree wrote: »

I would expect it to be down to 650/700 after a few weeks. That's just preorder and premium initial pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I would expect it to be down to 650/700 after a few weeks. That's just preorder and premium initial pricing

Yes, I guest that. I was just showing people. I read somewhere as well that it was going be the same price of the Note 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just chart the price of the Note 3 on Camel Camel Camel uk and see when the price dropped. Should be similar enough for the Note 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

So disappointing. Was hoping to upgrade from note 2 to this but nothing there would convince me to shell out top dollar.
    New nexus maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So disappointing. Was hoping to upgrade from note 2 to this but nothing there would convince me to shell out top dollar.
    New nexus maybe

What would have convinced you?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Anyone know where I would get a replacement s pen for the Note 3?

Advertisement