Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

oneplus one announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Gunna throw it out there...

I would LOVE an invite

Free hug(s) in return

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

If anyone's an invite I'd like one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Ditto here, think I might actually get one of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Blade wrote: »
    I'm told you'll be able to send the phone off to the UK to have it modified for band 20 if you really want it.

Do you have any more info on this? I thought the band issue was a hardware one, would they be replacing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

safetyboy wrote: »
    If anyone's an invite I'd like one :)
    ya, if there was an invitation going, that would be great..it looks like a great phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Looks like a killer machine, no usb3 though or wireless charging, not huge issues though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Great specced phone. Is it a dual sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Barr wrote: »
    Great specced phone. Is it a dual sim?
    It has one micro sim slot, though there'll probably be different versions for different markets. I'd be surprised if the Indian version wasn't dual sim for example.

Maybe if people could stop asking for invites for a little while? It's going to be a week or two at least before anyone has any to give out. Perhaps we could create a list of names or something to keep the thread from filling up with invite requests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How is this going for so cheap? Genuine question. Surely there's a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Would appreciate an invite too when released:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Cydoniac wrote: »
    How is this going for so cheap? Genuine question. Surely there's a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

would truly love a invite also,as im going to invest in one of these babys :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Simi wrote: »
    It has one micro sim slot, though there'll probably be different versions for different markets. I'd be surprised if the Indian version wasn't dual sim for example.

Maybe if people could stop asking for invites for a little while? It's going to be a week or two at least before anyone has any to give out. Perhaps we could create a list of names or something to keep the thread from filling up with invite requests?

AFAIK it won't be available in India any time soon and no plans of yet for a dual SIM.

I'm sorry I even mentioned the invites now as I don't want to build anyone's hopes up, after finding out more about it tonight, I honestly think that most people here will have to wait for about 3 months before getting a phone. The invite system isn't about creating demand, it's simply because they can't keep up with demand, so they can't put it on general sale until production is in full swing. I hope I'm wrong and I hope you'll get it sooner, but that's just my opinion.

The first 100 phones went to their controversial "Smash the past" competition winners, next lot of invites went to their forum moderators, next will be to the thousands of their long standing forum members who are all still waiting! It might be worth your while joining their forums and marking your country as "Ireland"...

But not much point filling this thread up with invite requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, for the best chance for people here to get early invites, register on http://oneplus.net/ and spread the love when invites eventually arrive.

Also, there are no general invites yet, the OnePlus forum is full of people requesting invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I anticipate the need for a seperate invite thread when the time comes. I applied to smash my Galaxy Nexus when this was announced, and have since actually smashed the glass unintentionally! Digitiser is still working but really want to replace soon, hope I can get an invite sooner rather than later. It's hard to wait when I know I could have a new HTC one M8, or a new Nexus here in a day or two. I'll stay strong.

I'm sorry I even mentioned the invites now as I don't want to build anyone's hopes up, after finding out more about it tonight, I honestly think that most people here will have to wait for about 3 months before getting a phone. The invite system isn't about creating demand, it's simply because they can't keep up with demand, so they can't put it on general sale until production is in full swing. I hope I'm wrong and I hope you'll get it sooner, but that's just my opinion.

I hope it won't be that long, but it's definitely a possibility. One thing that might work in our favour is the limited number of launch countries & the sheer diversity of those who want the phone, but won't be able to buy it even if they get an invite. As it is we'll have to use parcel motel to order from the uk site until there's a wider rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Mr.S wrote: »
    Have UK pricing been announced?

Also assuming the $299 is pretax?

It's €350 for the 64 GB version in Europe and that includes all taxes as it's coming from a European distribution centre.

It's €350 for the 64 GB version in Europe and that includes all taxes as it's coming from a European distribution centre.

I believe it's £269 for the 64gb version in the UK. So <€340 to get it delivered here via parcelmotel. That is significantly more than the Spanish pricing @ €299 for the 64gb. Hmm I wonder what Irish pricing will be like, whenever it becomes available to buy directly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Would this phone be on general sale around Xmas time? Hoping to reward myself with one.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Would this phone be on general sale around Xmas time? Hoping to reward myself with one.

Yes, hopefully before that! But by then there'll be a whole range of new phones to compete with and it might not be the 'must buy' it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Simi wrote: »
    Yes, hopefully before that! But by then there'll be a whole range of new phones to compete with and it might not be the 'must buy' it is now.

Maybe so but it will do me just fine then, not one to constantly chase the latest but this one appealed to me.

There's also a reasonable chance too that a European model will be available before the end of the year that will support LTE band 20, giving you more network choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks to be a great phone at a great price so surely there must be a catch somewhere!

Surely.....

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I've been watching this phone, its impressive what they claim but they have absolutely no experience or cop on as a business from what I have seen.

The Smash campaign was pathetic - break a 500euro phone for a free 300euro phone... feck off... Ill sell my 500euro one and pocket the difference. Also its encourages e-waste and just in general stupidity.

They cannot handle critisim... myself and others poked holes in their smash campaign (in a nice way i will stress...) and suggested they re-look at things. Their response? Block people from commenting on facebook.

I raise a question on their forums as to why I have been blocked... what rules did I break etc... the locked and hid the thread....

So a company that won't take honest and fair critism is launching this phone... if something goes wrong with the phone how are they going to handle it?

Also their invite system is going to see them through to failure unless they up their production seriously... its well known that a new nexus device is getting closer and also Amazon's own phone is in the pipeline... both of these are going to be high spec'ed and probably sold as cheap as the oneplus... so by the time the general public will be able to get their hands on the one+ their moment will probably have passed.

Make no mistake... If I could have bought the phone 2 weeks ago I would have... now im not so interested.

Looks to be a great phone at a great price so surely there must be a catch somewhere!

Surely.....

Surely... You must have missed Post #75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

It might be worth your while joining their forums and marking your country as "Ireland"...

I'm not sure that would make any difference to be honest. Ireland isn't even one of the countries they ship to at the mo.
    Looks like it will be parcel motel for us if any Irish person manages to somehow get an invite.

They have also stated they will have contests for invites through social media, so it would also be a good idea to follow them on all of their social media outlets, you might get lucky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bit ridiculous that you have to consider yourself "lucky" to have the opportunity to buy a phone. I'd much prefer to spend the extra money and deal with a proper company.

fionny wrote: »
    I've been watching this phone, its impressive what they claim but they have absolutely no experience or cop on as a business from what I have seen.

The Smash campaign was pathetic - break a 500euro phone for a free 300euro phone... feck off... Ill sell my 500euro one and pocket the difference. Also its encourages e-waste and just in general stupidity.

This would be the campaign that they amended following feedback and gave the option donate the old phone charity instead?

If you can get €300 for your second hand €500 phone, good for you. In the meantime their campaign has been widely reported and generated huge interest, which is hugely significant for a small company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ectoraige wrote: »
    This would be the campaign that they amended following feedback and gave the option donate the old phone charity instead?

If you can get €300 for your second hand €500 phone, good for you. In the meantime their campaign has been widely reported and generated huge interest, which is hugely significant for a small company.

Great marketing, but yes it's very socially irresponsible to smash a phone.

Advertisement