Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any tips for someone looking to get into the Film Industry in Dublin?

• 05-11-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm sure this may have been asked a million times before so I'll keep it as brief as possible.

Basically, I did a course in Galway in Film and TV for 3 years, now have a degree and finished a few years ago. I have been living in Dublin for little over a year and for the past few months I've been looking to intern with little success or even get experience in any regard.

Paid or unpaid is not important, so basically does anyone have any tips for how to break in to it?

I'd appreciate a hand in this, thanks to whomever takes a bit of time to read and or respond to this! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there any particular area you want to work in? The way a lot of people I know started out is by finding a few like minded people and making a short film or two. You get a bit of practice and, more importantly, contacts. If there were any lecturers you got on well with in college, you could try and get in contact and see if they can put you in touch with anyone that might be willing to take you on as a kind of unpaid trainee. And also get in touch with every production studio you can find and ask them for work. Most will probably say no, but there's plenty of people who will be happy to have an extra pair of hands on a film set.

That's not the greatest advice, but it's worked for a lot of people I know. You just have to keep throwing yourself at jobs and as you get to work with more people, they'll start giving out your name to others who are looking for crew.

And also, you can find lots of people here: http://iftn.ie/crew/crew_database/ There might be someone you can give you a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miss lilac

Great that you did your film course and got your degree. Thats the one thing my 17 year old son Is looking forward to having under his belt. Deferred his film study course this year but got a place in DBS for next year. I have a post up here for advice and I have gotten a lot of advice since I posted the questions up. Agree with the person above, you need to write or phone every production company you can....get your contacts....no matter who they are....its all about who you know and what doors can be opened for you. Did you have a particular type of film you are interested in ?? Did you ever hear of Brown Bags Films ?? Animation is what they do. They are very up and coming and have got a huge new production and would be worth looking more into. Also check out movie extras and sign up if you can. At least that way you would get some work on film and get paid at the same time. Another thing son was told was that being a runner is a good way to get the " Feel" for the film industry but that its very hard to get interships or runner jobs in Ireland. Seemingly London is the place to go for that. How did you find the course in Galway ?? Was it everything you thought it would be 3 years ago before you started or would you think it better to cut your teeth from the bottom up, make some short movies, do some upaid work as a runner etc....or go for the course ? Sons course will cost 5,200 per year over 3 years....hard to decide which is best at time. Wishing you the very best of luck anyhow...hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 canadianface

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice, I'll use it all in the forthcoming future and hopefully when I land a job I will have ye to thank again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cayke

I want to be a director, screenwriter and actor. But while I was fine-tuning some of my scripts, doing some work towards making my own film, trying to raise some money and so on, I just sent and enquiry e-mail to every film and TV production company to find out if there was anything available.

Long story short, I'm working as a second assistant director on a film for an Irish company, and I may have another lead for a job in Spring.

So yeah, even if you want to be on the creative side of the process, it never hurts to get some production or assistant jobs. It helps you see how everything works, and you get some decent contacts.

Advertisement