Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

There's another APN for O2, and it's just the same as Vodafone & Three (APN: internet).

Is it fair to assume that "internet" at O2 gives out only private IP addresses in contrast to "open.internet"?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hey Dovado,

I'll check that for you now

Yep, you're right.

When using APN of open.internet we're given public IP addresses, usually in the 86.x.x.x range, but when using just "internet" on it's own we get a 10.x.x.x private IP and a public IP of 62.x.x.x (as reported on whatismyip.com).

So open.internet is public, internet is private :)

Yep, you're right.

When using APN of open.internet we're given public IP addresses, usually in the 86.x.x.x range, but when using just "internet" on it's own we get a 10.x.x.x private IP and a public IP of 62.x.x.x (as reported on whatismyip.com).

So open.internet is public, internet is private :)

Wonderful, TV! Thx-a-Million!

No bother at all, happy to help.

• Advertisement

Site is now updated. http://www.dovado.com/ie

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PeterW

Just to let you know - my problem with updating to 2.0 seems to have been related to where I had saved the bin file. I originally had it saved in a folder in my documents and kept getting the "page cannot be displayed" error. Finally I moved the bin file to the root directory and tried again. This time it updated no problem.

Regards,
    Peter

ps. The SMS mailbox is a great addition :)

PeterW wrote: »
    Just to let you know - my problem with updating to 2.0 seems to have been related to where I had saved the bin file. I originally had it saved in a folder in my documents and kept getting the "page cannot be displayed" error. Finally I moved the bin file to the root directory and tried again. This time it updated no problem.

Regards,
    Peter

ps. The SMS mailbox is a great addition :)

Hi PeterW,

Please check your PM.

Greetings Ireland!

We'd very much like to get a good idea from you if the following features have in any way improved your overall usage/stability/experience with the DOVADO UMR following the upgrade to the latest firmware.

-Connection Tracker

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the point of this feature is to keep your UMR connected to the Internet as much as possible. In case of a disconnect, the Connection Tracker will see to it that it reconnects itself. If you don't know how to configure it, take a look here: http://www.dovado.com/images/conntrack.jpg .

-SMS Mailbox

-WAN port (configured either as primary or secondary interface).

-Automatic failover (related to Connection Tracker)

Many thanks,

Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Hi Dovado

I applied the 2.0 firmware last week and configured the connection tracker. I have only been able to test it twice since then but it's looking good so far. Thanks for the efforts, both in developing the update and for keeping us posted.

BTW is there any log that records the status of the router, i.e. keeps a history of restarts, etc? It would be interesting to see how often the tracker needs to kick in.

• Advertisement

hazbot wrote: »
    Hi Dovado

I applied the 2.0 firmware last week and configured the connection tracker. I have only been able to test it twice since then but it's looking good so far. Thanks for the efforts, both in developing the update and for keeping us posted.

BTW is there any log that records the status of the router, i.e. keeps a history of restarts, etc? It would be interesting to see how often the tracker needs to kick in.

Off the top of my head, there's no quick way to do it short of employing either a ping program (which seems senseless) or using a DynDNS account, which displays the latest time it updated the database. An update is only warranted whenever a new IP connection has been established. Mind you, the new IP update can occur either because the IP lease time expired and renew itself OR because the UMR performed a redial. If you want to see whether or not the UMR has actually restarted (as in rebooted) itself, then what you can do is to send your UMR an SMS first. The POWER lamp will blink and will not stop blinking until either of two things happen first:

- The SMS Inbox page has been accessed in the UMR.
    - The UMR has been restarted/rebooted/repowered - whichever happens.

You can see this behavior here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

Hi Dovado,

Can the antenna on the router be screwed and replaced with a stronger one or is it fixed to it?

Thks

Noviceman wrote: »
    Hi Dovado,

Can the antenna on the router be screwed and replaced with a stronger one or is it fixed to it?

Thks

Absolutely! You can swap it out with a stronger one if you like. It's an SMA contact and there's a plethora of choices for that kind of industry-standard connector.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

DOVADO wrote: »
    It's an SMA contact

I thought it was Reverse SMA? Either way, Dovado is right - you can swap the Antennae out for a 7 or 9 Db gain one instead, and it improves the range of the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Hi Dovado,

Great update!

At least now I can get my texts from vodafone telling me ive nearly used up my bandwith!

Just need to have a timer now to actually record the amount of bandwith used!

Great work

Thanks!

Agree with above - a usage meter of some kind would be a good addition in the next update. With the potential for multiple users sharing the same data allowance it would be very useful to have a log of how much data the modem has transmitted and received. That would also allow us to see if there are any unwanted users accessing our wireless network. That clearly shouldn't happen with a secured network but I'd still like the ability to check that the data passing through the modem corresponds to my own usage.

Peter

Do any of the operators post your data consumption on their portals?

Yes - O2 keep a detailed log of usage showing date, time, data usage. They also show total consumption for the month and allowance remaining. But the O2 log can sometimes lag by several days so it's not 100% ideal. I'm not sure about vodafone or 3.

A running total of bytes sent/received by the modem would be enough if that's possible to implement? And the option for the admin to reset that total would be good too.

Regards,
    Peter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Do any of the operators post your data consumption on their portals?

3 do.

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/837_sc/postPayFreeUnits.do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Does anyone know if the UMR works with three mobile bb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It works as well as any other solution on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

I just got my new Dovado modem and so far its working really well.
    I use Vodafone and it was a plug and play install.
    No more Vista ICS problems!
    Xbox, Wii and PCs all work 100%
    So far after 2 days, I have no family tech support call. Heaven.

Hello all,

In case you haven't done so already, please sign up for an email notification of firmware updates. We have a new release coming out next week.

You can sign up here: http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Many thanks,

Team DOVADO

Alright, version 2.1 is now out!

You can download it here (read the release notes and instructions!): http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

I've downloaded 2.1 Dovado, but I didn't get emails for this release, or the previous one, despite being signed up for firmware release eMails. Good to see the releases rolling out so fast though!

In this changelog, you mention that the wireless driver was upgraded. What changes were made do you know?

ned78 wrote: »
    I've downloaded 2.1 Dovado, but I didn't get emails for this release, or the previous one, despite being signed up for firmware release eMails. Good to see the releases rolling out so fast though!

Hi Ned78, we could be stuck in your SPAM/JUNK folder! Have a look and unblock us. You can always send us an email at support@dovado.com and ask us to send it to you again just to see if it'll go through.
    In this changelog, you mention that the wireless driver was upgraded. What changes were made do you know?

New driver with many miniscule improvements. Notably, improved MAC (Apple) support when using encryption, however it is always suggested that you keep your MAC updated as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ow

Alright, version 2.1 is now out!

You can download it here (read the release notes and instructions!): http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Hi Dovado,

I have upgraded the 2.1 firmware minutes ago. After the upgrade, the modem is kept on rooting itself every 20-30 secounds.

I thing the firmware upgrade was failed and what should I do now ?

Oscar
    oscar@grandfrog.com

:mad:

Hi Oscar,

Kindly email us at support@dovado.com the following information:

- serial number/MAC address of your UMR (says on the bottom sticker 0016A6xxxxxx)
    - USB modem you are running (as well as which operator SIM card)
    - APN you are connecting with.
    - Screenshots of the following pages: HOME, MODEM->MODEM STATUS, MODEM->MODEM SETTINGS.
    - Firmware version you were running prior to upgrade to 2.1.

Thank you,

Hi Ned78, we could be stuck in your SPAM/JUNK folder! Have a look and unblock us. You can always send us an email at support@dovado.com and ask us to send it to you again just to see if it'll go through.

Thanks Dovado, unfortunately, it's not in my spam folder, so I'll try resubscribing. Well done on such a fast release of the firmware!

• Advertisement

Thanks Dovado, unfortunately, it's not in my spam folder, so I'll try resubscribing. Well done on such a fast release of the firmware!

Hi Ned78,

Try also a different email address if you have one.

As for firmware development, there's always more in the pipe.

Advertisement