Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT General Information Points/FAQ (Revised August 13th '16)

• 04-06-2008 7:38pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How does the Degree Distinction work?

Some people have been asking how do the college decide if a student gets a 1st Class or 2nd Class honours degree. I have asked for an explanation which applies to most courses. Most courses in WIT work to the formula that equal weights for equal credits and only fourth year modules are counted. However, this should be checked as different courses may use different formulas for 'local' reasons.

In the new semesterised system the following is the system:

The average is based on all fourth year modules, weighted as per credits. Up to now all your modules have been equally weighted (at 5 credits each).

However, in fourth year, the project in second semester is given double weighting (i.e. 10 credits) as well as 5 credits in semester 1. So the project is worth more than other subjects.

Having worked out the average on this basis, the following applies:

70 -> 100 - first class 1
    60 - 69 - 2.1
    50 -> 59 - 2.2
    Under 50 a pass

Note that they only use your subjects in 4th year when doing the average grade thingy for the type of degree you get. So if you have to repeat in 4th year, then it affects your overall grade. Why? Because the highest you can get in a repeat is 40%.

Your final year average for the first exam sitting is what counts to your degree level. If you fail one but still get 60+% you will receive a 2.1. this includes the fail mark if you have failed one. (Information supplied by ec18)

Degree System update, by Marcus.Aurelius

National Certificate is now called Higher Certificate (2 years study)
    Diploma is now called Ordinary Degree or just Degree (2-3 years study)
    Degree is now called Honours Degree (3-4 years study)

Grades awarded to Certificate and Ordinary Degree level are
    Pass (up to 50)
    Merit 2 (51-59)
    Merit 1 (60-69)
    Distinction (70-100)

Honours Degrees are as;
    Lower Second Class Honours (2.2)
    Upper Second Class Honours (2.1)
    First Class Honours (1 or 1.1)

Results are ordinarily weighted as (% grade x Credits) for each subject added together and then divided by the overall total number of credits. This may change depending on weighted credits! See this link (PDF) to Student Handbook 06/07 for more details

Hope that helps :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This thread will cover any commonly asked questions about WIT for those who are likely to be going. It will build over time. Excuse any errors:)

What is the "Witty WitCard"?
    The Witty WitCard, or WitCard for short, is basically a debit card that can only be used inside in WIT. It is required for all purchases in Spar and The Gallery Restaurant, is required to pay for printing, and is optional everywhere else. When used you can avail of up to 25% discount on your purchase. You can top up online by credit/debit card or using any of the WITCard Machines located in the Business building, Canteen and the Atrium. The machines take most notes but only €1 and €2 coins. You can not withdraw funds from your account. Your WITCard is also your Student ID card and can be used to avail of student discounts. Some rooms may, depending on your course and year, need your card to gain entry.

Where are/is..

The printer collect points?
    You can print from most computers. Collection points are in the business building, library and IT Building. Colour printers are located in the Library and IT Building. During peak times (towards the end of term) expect long queues and printer problems. The problems were common, but new printers have recently been installed which may help.

The library?
    First building on your right as you go in the main entrance. This also houses the Book Point (a book store with other stuff like pens, USB sticks etc.) and Oskars Cafe. To gain access to the library you need your WIT Card - otherwise, you cant get in the inner automatic doors. Much like a train/subway station. The very top floor is for group study but all other floors should be for folk willing to study quietly. There are a few areas with computers on the main floor by reception.

Business Building?
    The business building is on the right side of the library. It houses the Spar shop, printer collection points, some (not many) staff offices and some vending machines that rarely work. This building also has the "F" corridor (some of you may be in rooms such as F20 or F04 etc) which is on the ground floor. Upstairs contains the D corridor, two small computer rooms, and school offices. Outside you have "The Gallery" restaurant.

The Nursing building
    The end of the back car park/the back of the IT Building.

The Atrium
    The main college building housing reception, AIB Bank, Cash Machines, WITCard Office, the Canteen and vending machines which rarely work. The porters area is also here and this leads the way to the Tourism and Leisure building and the smaller back car park. You can also access the Dome and Gym through the back of this building. The second floor contains some school offices and lecture rooms, including labs. The third floor contains nearly all lecturer offices. Their name is on the door so just keep looking until you find the name you want. The "Pigeon Hole" is a dropbox for lecturers, located halfway down the corridor, where you can leave stuff like assignments or whatever to your lecturer.

The IT Rooms?
    The main IT Building is located at the rear of the business building. There are three floors in total. The computers, I think, have been upgraded recently. Most rooms in the college have a computer and there are three computer rooms upstairs in the business building and atrium. Additional computers are in the library - the old computers on the first floor have been upgraded.

The Arch/Tech building?
    Prefabs located to the left of the IT Building. Also can be accessed through the back car park entrances. This area also houses the CHART offices and some staff offices.

Students Union/Secretarial Services/Accommodation Office
    All located beside the business building basically. The SU office is at the back car park entrance and the others are located at the front of the same building. The games room is also housed in this area.

The "R" rooms?
    Go past Sec. Services, its the row of prefabs.

The "W" corridor?
    Across from Sec. Services. It also brings you upstairs into the business building and atrium.

The Dome
    The college pub, nobody is asked for Student ID usually apart from certain college events held there like Christmas Day. Its just beyond the atrium.

The Gym/Sports Hall
    Beside the Dome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Exam FAQ
    What is my exam password?
    New Students: Your Online Student Services password (OSSP) was supplied to you on Registration Day and is the same as your Computer Account password.

Existing Students: Your Online Student Services password (OSSP) is the password that you have used previously for Online Registration, Exam Timetables and Results etc.

If you experience problems using this facility, please call the Examinations Office at (051) 302883 or email examinations@wit.ie

Where will my exam timetable be available?
    Exam timetables for each semester and repeat Autumn examinations are posted on the following website http://www2.wit.ie/exams. Timetables for Semester 1 examinations are usually available in early December, Semester 2 timetables in early April and Autumn timetables in early August.

What is my examination seat number or where do I get it?
    Each fully registered candidate is issued with an examination seat number. This seat number may be found on the examinations website (see number 2 above).

If I am unable to access my examination timetable what should I do?
    If you are unable to access your timetable on line, you should contact the examinations office immediately.

When will my exam results be available?
    Exam results are posted on the website http://www2.wit.ie/exams after each examination session, usually, February, June and September. (Check exams website for specific release date of results).

If I fail a repeat, can I carry it forward onto the next year?
    If you repeat a subject in the repeat session in August and fail the exam, you may be able to continue taking classes and repeat the subject again at the next exam session. This depends on the course and the module. Please check with your course leader to determine.

After repeating my exam in August, my results are not due out until mid-September. Do I attend classes?
    Continue taking classes in September as usual until you receive your examination results. If you pass all, you of course can continue. Otherwise, see above question and answer.

What do the following abbreviations mean on my exam results?
    • PS - Pass
    • EX - Exemption(s) granted
    • AB - Absent from examination
    • FL - Fail – no Exemptions gained at current sitting
    • FC - "Failed Component". It indicates that you have failed a significant element of the assessments within an individual module.
    • DE - Deferral of Result(s)
    • I - Deferral of subject - a deferral is granted if you have mitigating circumstances or extenuating circumstances – it means that you will need to sit the exam in the next available exam session. You do not need to enter for this exam or pay for it; it is automatically downloaded for you. Please check the website for your examination timetable when available.
    • IP - Deferral of result, Industrial Placement incomplete.
    • Stage Incomplete - Means that you have not yet completed the full year of study. This is a default result for all semester 1 results for full-time programmes.

If I have a query about my exam result, who should I contact?
    If your exam results are not available on-line it may be due to the fact that you are not fully registered and need to pay your outstanding fees. If you need to pay fees please contact our Fees Office on 051-302008. If you have any queries on your exam results please contact your relevant school:

School of Business - 051-302036

School of Education - 051-302040

School of Engineering - 051-306160

School of Health Sciences - 051-302774

School of Humanities - 051-845553

School of Science - 051-302482

What are overall percentages for awards?
    See here

Who should I contact for a copy of my results or a transcript of results?

You may contact your relevant School Office for transcripts or copy of results.

School of Business - 051-302036

School of Education - 051-302040

School of Engineering - 051-306160

School of Health Sciences - 051-302774

School of Humanities - 051-845553

School of Science - 051-302482

(Partly obtained from WIT Exams FAQ)

Where can I park my car in WIT?

WIT currently has three student/staff car parks. The front is a barrier controlled car park which requires a WITCard to gain access. Its a small car park located on the Cork Road and looks directly on The Dome, The Library, and the main college building.

There are two car parks at the rear, accessibly via Paddy Browns Road. The smaller one is located across from the AIB Bank and the largest one can be accessed on the same road but also from the Cork Road car park.

A new car park has been opened at the RSC. This car park is located on the main cork road if you are coming from Waterford City. Its fully signposted. A shuttle bus is being organised, but as of time of posting, it has not been confirmed.

If you are living in nearby estates or within the city itself - to ease traffic and car park spaces for people who need them, please leave your car at home and take the bus.

Parking in nearby estates is NOT permitted. This is being heavily enforced by the local council and Guards. Parking illegaly in the surrounding estates WILL see you getting a parking ticket. Parking illegaly in the designated WIT Car Parks will see you getting clamped.

2016-2017 Officers:

President::

Michelle Byrne
    Tel: 051 - 378390
    Mob: 086-7854420
    Email: president@witsu.ie

Vice President of Welfare::

Michael Murphy
    Mob: 086-7854402
    Email: welfare@witsu.ie

Vice President of Education::

Marie Sheedy
    Mob:086-0499842
    Email: education@witsu.ie

Entertainment Officer::

Lauren Hayde
    Email: entertainment@witsu.ie

Communications Officer::

Darren Malone
    Email: communications@witsu.ie

Cork Rd Office:

Email: info@witsu.ie

College St Office:
    Tel: 051 - 302275
    Email: collegest@witsu.ie

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/witsu
    Web: www.witsu.ie

witsu-group-1200x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

What's the story with the student email accounts? Nothing was said in relation to them on induction or registration unless I missed it. Only moodle was dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

KillMona wrote: »
    What's the story with the student email accounts? Nothing was said in relation to them on induction or registration unless I missed it. Only moodle was dealt with.

You'll be told about them by some lecturer if not all of them eventually.

Once you're regged your student email is regged.

i.e. if my student number is 20094776 then my student email is 20094776@mail.wit.ie

you can log into this at mail.google.com

I believe you are given you should've been given the password on the reg day or maybe that'll come in your first week.

If worst comes to worst and you can't find it, you can go to the helpdesk in the I.T building I think and they will give you a new password.

Advertisement