Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

sponge_bob wrote: »
    great success:D
    had people going back for 2nd's and even a few 3rd's, had alot of sauce leftover, such was the demand i had to cook more un-marinated chicken seperatly and mix it up with the leftover sauce to keep people happy. only fault i had with the recipe was that it was a little watery, i was tempted to add a bit of cornflour to help thicken the sauce but thought better of it in case it affected the taste, i might experiment when its only myself and the missus is all is for it.

but allround a real winner:D
    very well done curry addict you really know your stuff.

it really shouldnt be watery. its odd that it turned out like that because when u blend the 1kg of cooked tomato with 200ml of stock it should be perfect! I guess if that happens you again just boil it down to the right consistency. glad you enjoyed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

it really shouldnt be watery. its odd that it turned out like that because when u blend the 1kg of cooked tomato with 200ml of stock it should be perfect! I guess if that happens you again just boil it down to the right consistency. glad you enjoyed anyway!

i used tinned tomatoes so i wonder if that was the problem:confused:

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i used tinned tomatoes so i wonder if that was the problem:confused:

shouldnt be a problem, tinned or fresh work out the same in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im not familiar with Creamed Coconut blocks, so forgive me. I was wondering how exactly you would get 2tbsp off it. Do you just scoop it from the block? is it soft or what?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Im not familiar with Creamed Coconut blocks, so forgive me. I was wondering how exactly you would get 2tbsp off it. Do you just scoop it from the block? is it soft or what?

Creamed Coconut blocks available in most asian stores and some supermarkets. just cut off 2 tbs worth off the block its soft enough. alternatively you can use coconut milk, the solid part in the tin works just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I grated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 butterycup

Hi, these recipes sound delicious and def going to try them. Just wondering if you would have a recipe for balti chicken, or more so the balti sauce, the way the chicken is cooked sounds fab!

ill dig out the balti recipe later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Fantastic recepies (both in terms of flavour and how they were written)

You haven't got a phall or vindaloo recepie in your arsenal by any chance?

butterycup wrote: »
    Hi, these recipes sound delicious and def going to try them. Just wondering if you would have a recipe for balti chicken, or more so the balti sauce, the way the chicken is cooked sounds fab!

Balti
    =====
    1 chefs spoon of veg oil
    2/3 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of garlic/ginger paste,
    1 chef spoons of sliced green pepper
    1 chef spoon of finely chopped onion,
    1 tablespoon of fenugreek leaves
    1 tablespoon of curry masala powder
    1.25 tablespoon of tomato purée
    1tbs pataks balti paste
    1 portion of precooked meat
    2.5 ladels of curry base.
    cook for 6 mins on high gas mark.

i always add some mushroom as this really goes fantastic with them.

• Advertisement

Elbow wrote: »
    Fantastic recepies (both in terms of flavour and how they were written)

You haven't got a phall or vindaloo recepie in your arsenal by any chance?

my personal favorite :)

Vindaloo
    1 chef spoon of vegetable oil

2 dried red chillies
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    2.5 tbs tomato puree
    1 tbs curry masala
    1 tsp methi/fenugreek leaves
    1 tbs chilli powder
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp ground cardamom
    1 portion precooked chicken
    2-3 ladles of curry base
    1 tbs white wine vinager
    2/3 tsp salt
    1 tbs coriander leaf
    1tsp ginger and garlic paste
    Pinch of garam masala

Heat the oil and add the chillies and the tbs of ginger/garlic paste, saute for about 30secs. Add the tomato puree and stir in, saute for 20 secs then add the dry spices. saute for 20secs then add the curry base and all the remaining ingredients up to the salt. Cook this for about 5mins then add the coriander leaf, ginger/garlic and garam masala and serve.
    follow the amounts exactly for perfect balance. enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

my personal favorite :)

Vindaloo
    1 chef spoon of vegetable oil

2 dried red chillies
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    2.5 tbs tomato puree
    1 tbs curry masala
    1 tsp methi/fenugreek leaves
    1 tbs chilli powder
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp ground cardamom
    1 portion precooked chicken
    2 ladles of curry base
    1 tbs vinager
    2/3 tsp salt
    1 tbs coriander leaf
    1tsp ginger and garlic paste
    Pinch of garam masala

Heat the oil and add the chillies and the tbs of ginger/garlic paste, saute for about 30secs. Add the tomato puree and stir in, saute for 20 secs then add the dry spices. saute for 20secs then add the curry base and all the remaining ingredients up to the salt. Cook this for about 5mins then add the coriander leaf, ginger/garlic and garam masala and serve.
    follow the amounts exactly for perfect balance. enjoy!

Excellent, thank you very much, I'll let you know what the verdict is at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 butterycup

Thanks a million, sound lovely, must get shopping list made now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Any chance you have a recipe for Lamb Bhuna? I love love love the one served in Delhi Darbar, Celbridge; best Indian restaurant IMO.
    I got 2lbs of diced lamb shoulder yesterday and meant to make stew out of it, but after reading this thread I thought I'd go down the curry road.

What sort of curry powder do you use for your curry masala?

Do you really pre-cook the diced chicken breast for 45 mins? Isn't that a bit too long?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Any chance you have a recipe for Lamb Bhuna? I love love love the one served in Delhi Darbar, Celbridge; best Indian restaurant IMO.
    I got 2lbs of diced lamb shoulder yesterday and meant to make stew out of it, but after reading this thread I thought I'd go down the curry road.

im on hols at the moment and dont have recipes with me sorry.

What sort of curry powder do you use for your curry masala?

Do you really pre-cook the diced chicken breast for 45 mins? Isn't that a bit too long?

it doesnt matter what curry powder you use in curry masala. the function of the curry powder is just to add subtleties to the mix.

yes I cook the chicken for 45mins mainly because its large thick chunks, as i usually cut a fillet into 4 equal sized pieces as its easy to portion control. 30mins would probably do but 45 makes sure its cooked! its effectively slowly basting around 100 degrees in its own juices and spices, absorbing all those flavors and turns out very moist succulent and tender!

Thanks, Curry Addict.:)
    Looking forward to give your Rogan Josh a try this weekend!

Thanks, Curry Addict.:)
    Looking forward to give your Rogan Josh a try this weekend!

hope it goes well, good luck with it :)

i made some fresh curry base and a vindaloo from it today and took some pics along the way
    note i made a double batch.

• Advertisement

the vindaloo pix

Oh my word:eek: YUM! Despite the ashtray beside it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Curry Addict - I made your Chicken Tikka Masala recipe on Saturday and it was delicious - thanks for all the tips and answering all my questions in the spices thread! Very nice and the best curry to please everyone, as it's so creamy and not too hot. People had seconds!!

Have you ever heard of Chicken Tikka Mirchi? It is a dish that Bombay pantry do, and it's delicious, but I can't find any recipes on google.
    It's a spicier version of the dish and it's got some very pungent sort of smoky flavour and I don't know what it would be. Have you ever had it /would you have a recipe for it? Prob not as it looks like it's one they made up themselves, they do say it has methi and lemon in it on the menu but there's something else there I am not getting! Do any curry recipes use smoked paprika? I was hazarding a guess that may be what flavours it but I've never used it so I was only guessing!

glad you enjoyed :)

ive never had bombay pantrys Chicken Tikka Mirchi. i have had their standard curry and its very close to my madras so they do use a similar curry base. two things that give a smoky flavor are fenugreek/methi leaves and also dried red chilies fried in oil at the start of your curry. maybe ill order a Chicken Tikka Mirchi soon and see for myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

glad you enjoyed :)

ive never had bombay pantrys Chicken Tikka Mirchi. i have had their standard curry and its very close to my madras so they do use a similar curry base. two things that give a smoky flavor are fenugreek/methi leaves and also dried red chilies fried in oil at the start of your curry. maybe ill order a Chicken Tikka Mirchi soon and see for myself :pac:

Highly recommend it! Maybe they do the chilli thing then, as I did use plenty of methi leaves in my tikka masala sauce but it's not the same level of smokiness as the mirchi.... It has peppers in it, it's a smokier spicier tikka masaala mainly!

Babooshka wrote: »
    Highly recommend it! Maybe they do the chilli thing then, as I did use plenty of methi leaves in my tikka masala sauce but it's not the same level of smokiness as the mirchi.... It has peppers in it, it's a smokier spicier tikka masaala mainly!

i noticed they use roughly ground, dried red chillies, in there standard curry. id guess they start their tikka mirchi with 2 of these per portion. roasted peppers also would add some smokiness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With such expert knowledge of Indian Currys, you must have a naan recipe hidden up your sleeve somewhere..... ? :)

With such expert knowledge of Indian Currys, you must have a naan recipe hidden up your sleeve somewhere..... ? :)

naan dough
    1/4pint milk
    1 egg
    1.5 tablespoons sugar
    1/4teaspoon baking powder
    500g self raising flour

make a dough and leave to rest for 1 hour
    pre-heat oven for 30mins on highest heat with oiled baking tray inside.
    roll out your nan, place it on the baking tray and bake for 3-4 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

All of these look amazing. I was wondering if you happen to have any vegetarian curry recipes (paneer, chickpea, spinach, cauliflower, potato- anything will do!) It would be MUCH appreciated :D

• Advertisement

we regularly make toor dhal accompanied with either cauliflower curry or saag aloo for a tasty balanced meal

Toor Dhal

Ingredients:

250 gr. toor dhal
    1,5 liter water
    1 tsp. turmeric powder
    1 tsp. chili powder
    salt

80 gr. ghee
    2 tsp. cumin seed
    3 dried red chilies
    16 gr. garlic puree
    1 onion chopped
    2 tomatoes chopped
    1 tsp. coriander powder
    2 tbsp. fresh coriander chopped
    cream

start by washing the toor dhal thoroughly in water. Soak the toor dhal for at least 30 minutes.
    Whilst the Dhal is soaking prepare the rest of the ingredients.

After soaking: boil the toor dahl in 1,5 liter of water with a pinch of salt, the turmeric & chili powder for 20 to 30 minutes on medium heat( until the lentils are soft ).

In the meanwhile heat ghee in a big pot, add the onion, fry until golden brown.
    When the onion starts to brown add the garlic & red chillies and a pinch of salt, sauté for 2 – 3 minutes. Now add the tomatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add the cumin seed & coriander powder before the heat rises in the pan and stir into the mixture. Cook until the oils rise to the top, keep your pan well hydrated with water when required.

Add the cooked lentils , mix together, stir the coriander in.
    Spoon into bowls and stir in around 2 tbsp. of cream on top.

Coastal Cauliflower Curry

2 tbsp. Sunflower oil
    10 peppercorns
    5 cloves
    1 tbsp. Coriander seeds
    1 medium onion chopped finely
    150 gr. Desiccated coconut
    1 medium sized cauliflower cut into even sized florets
    1 tsp. Turmeric powder
    ½ tsp. Chilli powder
    2 medium tomatoes , chopped finely
    Pinch of salt

Heat half the oil in a heavy bottomed or non-stick pan and fry the peppercorns, cloves and coriander seeds until they start to swell and crackle.
    Add the onion, fry for about 1-2 minutes on high heat.
    Turn the heat to medium, fry the onion until soft and well browned, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in the coconut and continue to brown for 1-2 minutes.
    Take off the heat, cool slightly and blitz to a paste with a little water, in a blender. Reserve.
    Heat the remaining oil and stir fry the cauliflower for a couple of minutes. Add the spice powders, tomatoes and salt and cook for a further 5 minutes.
    Add the reserved coconut paste, pour in 150 ml. Hot water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the cauliflower is cooked but firm, for about 10-15 minutes.

Saag aloo

450 gr. Fresh spinach leaves , washed and drained
    3 tbsp. Sunflower oil
    ½ tsp. Cumin seeds
    2 medium onions chopped finely
    1 tsp. Ginger garlic paste
    1 medium tomato chopped finely
    ½ tsp. Chilli powder
    ½ tsp. Garam masala
    Pinch of salt
    2 medium potatoes cubed in even sizes
    2 tbsp. Cream
    Slivers of ginger (optional)

Put the spinach with some water in a heavy pan and cook uncovered on hight heat until wilted.
    Cool slightly and grind along with enough of the cookingwater to a thick puree in a blender. Reserve
    Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed or non-stick pan and fry the cumin seeds until they crackle. Add the onions and fry until soft.
    Stir in the garlic ginger and tomato and cook on low heat until mushy for 5 minutes
    Add the spice powders salt and potatoes. Add a little water and cook until the potatoes are done. Add the pureed spinach, heat trough and take off the heat.
    Serve hot. Swirled with the cream and the slivers of ginger sprinkeled on the top.

Advertisement