Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higgins hits out at racism and homophobia

• 25-03-2012 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

President Michael D Higgins has hit out at what he described as "the appalling, destructive reality of homophobia".
    The President made his remarks this morning while addressing a conference organised by youth organisation Foróige.
    President Higgins described suicide resulting from racism and homophobia as an appalling blight on a society.
    "The idea that any young person would be driven not just to lower self-esteem, exclusion, isolation, loneliness but self destruction itself is an appalling blight on a society," he said.
    "We have to ask about how racism gets going, how homophobia does its destructive work, how isolation tears at a person's wanting to exist, how important every person is. These are important issues, they are not merely emotional issues," President Higgins added.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0324/higginsm.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The people of Ireland are incredibly lucky to have such an incredible man as our Head of State. Michael D. Higgins is (amongst other noble things) a humanitarian, an academic, an intellectual, an ardent defender of human rights and is a great man to have as a representative on the international stage.

In all of his speeches and all of the times he speaks, he is eloquent, honest and speaks from the heart. He is a great man, and as I've mentioned, we are so lucky to have such a brilliant representative.

If only all politicians could be as honest and as caring about his fellow man as Michael D. Higgins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

DazMarz wrote: »
    If only all politicians could be as honest and as caring about his fellow man as Michael D. Higgins...

If only,
    I'm glad he is president but I miss him in the Dáil, wonder what he makes of Labour now they are in "power".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

All very nice, but once again the T is excluded. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Because homophobia makes no difference at all to trans youth, and higgins didn't at all say that no young person should have to deal with exclusion etc., and firmly asserted that some should...

Give me a break.

• Advertisement

Because homophobia makes no difference at all to trans youth, and higgins didn't at all say that no young person should have to deal with exclusion etc., and firmly asserted that some should...

Give me a break.

So if the President spoke out solely against racism and transphobia, you would not be a bit surprised and disgruntled that gay people didn't get a mention, no? Meh.... Then again this is boards...

Let me give you a better example, had someone come on here saying 'that's very nice about the racism, but what about xenophobia?' I would feel obliged to question how necessary it is to nitpick when the man's intention is so blatently obvious.

Let me give you a better example, had someone come on here saying 'that's very nice about the racism, but what about xenophobia?' I would feel obliged to question how necessary it is to nitpick when the man's intention is so blatently obvious.

Here's an even better example: We have to deal with racism against Muslims and Asians. (No mention of Africans, odd that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's prissy nitpicking like this that makes me half-want Higgins to have said "Never mind racism or homophobia - our country's economically on its knees and whining about who's feelings are the most butthurt isn't going to change that." No previous President made a statement like this. Give the man some credit where its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's prissy nitpicking like this

Any more attacks like that and you'll get Infracted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The words that stand out for me are "The idea that any young person would be driven not just to lower self-esteem, exclusion, isolation, loneliness but self destruction itself is an appalling blight on a society," and I don't think they were spoken in an exclusive way. I understand your frustration I just think the overriding sentiment is what people will be taking away from this.

Babybuff wrote: »
    The words that stand out for me are "The idea that any young person would be driven not just to lower self-esteem, exclusion, isolation, loneliness but self destruction itself is an appalling blight on a society," and I don't think they were spoken in an exclusive way. I understand your frustration I just think the overriding sentiment is what people will be taking away from this.

I appreciate what you're trying to convey, and I commend the President on his intent but, once again, the T is left out. The average person has a...misunderstood view of transsexuals. I'm sorry but this is not progress, and it must be challenged at every opportunity, and I'll always speak out about this (albeit unintentional) double standard. Which is exactly what it is, a double standard.

That being said, congrats to the President. It's a step in the right direction, and he should be applauded for his endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

16 Mar 2012 - GLEN to Celebrate St. Patricks Day with President Michael D. Higgins
    GLEN is delighted to be attending a reception for civic society hosted by President Michael D. Higgins and Sabina Higgins at Áras an Uachtaráin on the afternoon of St. Patricks Day."Our visit to President Higgins today is a symbol of the inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people at the heart of Irish society" said Kieran Rose, GLEN Chair

http://www.glen.ie/news-post.aspx?contentid=5253&name=glen_to_celebrate_st._patricks_day_with_presid

I'm guessing that's where the problem is, joe public may not have a handle on the definition of transsexual or how it differentiates from homosexuality, maybe they just assume it falls under the same category but in that sense they probably consider the message inclusive. I know it's not an excuse but sometimes educating people takes a little time.

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I appreciate what you're trying to convey, and I commend the President on his intent but, once again, the T is left out. The average person has a...misunderstood view of transsexuals. I'm sorry but this is not progress, and it must be challenged at every opportunity, and I'll always speak out about this (albeit unintentional) double standard. Which is exactly what it is, a double standard.
    But what about everyone else then? Irish youths have notions in their heads that can be classist, sexist, sectarian, and more.

I get what your saying but it's not a double standard, it's invariably a misunderstanding of what constitutes homophobia, most people will tell you it regards LGBT people, rather than just lesbians and gays. I understand this can be bad, with regard legislation and assumptions on just how equal our society is, but in this context, a brief soundbyte on youth behaviour and it's effects, I fail to see the problem. People like Higgins making these brief statements is what leads to bigger and greater things that do include everyone and do address the average persons understanding of all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

EGAR wrote: »

I wonder what Mad dog McGuinness or Puff the Fianna Failed dragon would have said about us?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

All very nice, but once again the T is excluded. Oh well...

he also forgot cancer , war , measles mumps and rubella , poverty , domestic abuse , how its cold getting out of the shower etc etc. the big prick

Oh, and since when have measles etc been politically aligned with gays? Talk about missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Oh, and since when have measles etc been politically aligned with gays? Talk about missing the point.

If I were to attack a statement condeming transphobia I'd be torn to shreds , you know what he meant , also its a secondary source quote he probably mentioned the transgender community and rte forgot to put it in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's funny that, your almost contradicting yourself with that point. You say that trans issues are politically aligned with gays but your over all point seems to be that trans should be a separate issue, a point I would agree with! However if he was to list of every marginalized minority group in his speech then it would have been a very long speech and would have probably lost its point! Should travelers complain that they didn't get a specific mention under racism?

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    It's funny that, your almost contradicting yourself with that point. You say that trans issues are politically aligned with gays but your over all point seems to be that trans should be a separate issue, a point I would agree with!

No, I didn't. Politically alignment does not necessarily mean the respective groups are the same or even similar.

You have a point, and we should definitely look to M.D. to highlight this alongside racism and homophobia when addressing the causes of suicide and exclusion among young people, to the people M.D. is trying to reach even a mention by the President might make the difference, I know it would have to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shakti wrote: »
    You have a point, and we should definitely look to M.D. to highlight this alongside racism and homophobia when addressing the causes of suicide and exclusion among young people, to the people M.D. is trying to reach even a mention by the President might make the difference, I know it would have to me.

Agreed - When Mary Robinson became president in 1990 - Gay male sex was still illegal - one of the first things she did was invite LGB representatives to the Aras - It was a powerful statement.

In his speech on March 17th Michael D said

http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=5&speech=1088&lang=eng
    In my inauguration speech on that wonderful day in Dublin Castle last November, I said that my Presidency would seek to be one that seeks to achieve an inclusive citizenship, where every citizen participates and everyone is treated with respect, that I want to achieve an Ireland where all citizens realise their civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights; their rights to participate in public debate, their rights to contribute creatively to and enjoy in all its facets this great country of ours.

I think he is genuine in this and I think he will in time actively engage with Trans rights.

If you feel he could be doing more then write to him or contact his office and ask him to do so. Tell him that you are impressed that he acknowledged the damage of homophobia and that you would like him to also at some point in the future acknowledge transphobia.

Maybe one thing he could do would be officially open the TGEU Council in September (This is just my suggestion - obviously an official invite would have to go through TENI or TGEU)

http://teni.ie/news-post.aspx?contentid=361

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Maybe one thing he could do would be officially open the TGEU Council in September (This is just my suggestion - obviously an official invite would have to go through TENI or TGEU)

http://teni.ie/news-post.aspx?contentid=361

Thats a great idea,

No, I didn't. Politically alignment does not necessarily mean the respective groups are the same or even similar.

That would be my point though! I believe that transphobia is often a very separate issue but that as a minority with similar issues it is politically aligned to issues of homophobia! You may well not identify as LGB, you may be hetero but society as a wider group does not see you that way. This speech seemed to be aimed at attitudes towards minorities. Although trans issues along with other minorities were not specifically addressed in the speech I would not believe they are not represented in what he is talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That would be my point though! I believe that transphobia is often a very separate issue but that as a minority with similar issues it is politically aligned to issues of homophobia! You may well not identify as LGB, you may be hetero but society as a wider group does not see you that way. This speech seemed to be aimed at attitudes towards minorities. Although trans issues along with other minorities were not specifically addressed in the speech I would not believe they are not represented in what he is talking about!

1+ He'd still be taking if he had to list every single group, person and issue that suffered bigoted attacks - race and sexual orientation barely touch the surface for both the youth and the general public when it comes to discrimination and prejudice. Some people may not like massive groups of people all being lumped together under one label but it was a speech reaching out to people in a very general sense not a detailed disertation.

Had he listed transgender you'd have people who have Gender identity disorders who do not identify as transgender nit picking....what about the asexuals? We never get a look in anywhere! Hell straight kids get attacked by homophobes! For me homophobia is a good blanket word in the context of the speech as while I don't identify as gay or straight I have been attacked for "being different" Bigots aren't going to stop and ask for a breakdown on exactly what you identify as and where you think you "fit" they just see different.

I always thought society sees both conditions as very different. Straight and cis people can relate to the LGB, as it's a sexual orientation, but they find it difficult to relate to transsexuals as it's a dysphoria, and the vast majority have never experienced a dysphoria of any kind.

I always thought society sees both conditions as very different. Straight and cis people can relate to the LGB, as it's a sexual orientation, but they find it difficult to relate to transsexuals as it's a dysphoria, and the vast majority have never experienced a dysphoria of any kind.

My experience would be that people who have very little interaction with either LGB or trans people will see the two as the same and assume that all trans people are gay. We watched breakfast on Pluto in class on Saturday and it did not occur to most people in the class that kittens character was anything other than gay!

But still the speech was about the affects of negative attitudes towards minorities highlighting two particular groups more than excluding others IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But still the speech was about the affects of negative attitudes towards minorities highlighting two particular groups more than excluding others IMO!

I don't see it so much as highlighting a particular group but more highlighting the two most common motivations bigots have for being abusive towards people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Hi all,

This thread was pointed out to me and I wanted to contribute my bit.
    As a political activist for his former party, I knew Michael D Higgins before he was elected President and was involved in overseeing his campaign on Dublin's northside - probably the best thing I have done in my 10 years or so in politics.

From talking to him, I can say that Michael D Higgins absolutely abhors discrimination - any discrimination against any individual be they young, old, gay, lesbian, bi or male, female or transgendered, I have no doubt whatever at all that he would be welcoming of an official invitation that might find its way to him. The only issue that I could see would be scheduling. If the event is for September, then try and see that it is sent now, and perhaps look at inviting him to any events further away if he can't make September.

Advertisement