Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game Boy PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pi update:
    Another two Rasp Pi's on the way to me. Happy days as I might have some actually free time in the next 2 months to work on mods. This working/travelling 7 days a week, 18 hours a day can get to a person after a while:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    This working/travelling 7 days a week, 18 hours a day can get to a person after a while:o

Yeah but

1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah but

1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg

These days it's more like
    pay-peanuts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Pi update:
    Another two Rasp Pi's on the way to me.

2 + 1 = 3

3 is the new "couple!"

487051_3556916280057_1820917184_n.jpg

Steve SI circa Christmas 2007:

:)

This marks a new milestone in your collection of tech. :)

The small 3.5" composite screen arrived this evening.
    The quality isnt great on it but its more for testing to see if a 3.5" is viable inside the Game Boy and if so I'll spend more than 12 quid on it :)

So far after 5 mins of playing around I think once I strip it down it'll fit inside. I tried booting the Pi connected to it and it works fine, if a little crappy looking.

I'll post up some pics/vids a bit later.

• Advertisement

Ok, I managed to get all the electronics (except the screen as I've not cut a hole for it yet as It's not the final screen I'll be using) more or less inside the Game Boy. It's a bit of a ugly setup at the moment with the case held closed with a cable tie and the internals held in place with white tac but it's still not finalised so no point in doing anything permanent just yet.

Click for much larger images:
    dsc1660b.jpg

dsc1662b.jpg

Pixel shot:
    dsc1662closeb.jpg

Boot Vid(best in 1080p Fullscreen):

Still lots to do but getting there, bit by bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It's starting to look mighty juicy this project of yours young Stefanopolis!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    It's starting to look mighty juicy this project of yours young Stefanopolis!

Cheers, yeah starting to take shape a bit now.
    Wish I had more time to spend on it but after next week I should have a bit.

Excellent work Steve mate! Well done!

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets posted by liz on the Blog!

waveform wrote: »
    Excellent work Steve mate! Well done!

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets posted by liz on the Blog!

Cheers, they can stick it up on the site when I have it finished. Right now it's a bit messy looking to be worthy of mass scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

looking good, would it not be possible to put the screen in and scale the output image down to fit the original bezel?

looking good, would it not be possible to put the screen in and scale the output image down to fit the original bezel?

Yes, very easy. You can define it all in a simple text file that the Pi reads on boot (+ and - whatever number of left, right, up and down pixels).
    I tried it earlier and it worked fine that way. The case would still need to be modified to allow the screen to come closer to the internal part of the bezel.
    It's another option to think about for the final design. It would be nice not to have to cut the outer bezel to accommodate the screen.

Here's a vid I just did of some GameCube games running on the same screen.
    It's actually not bad at running these considering it only cost £10 sterling. Sound is low and a bit distorted as its coming from a small and cheap speaker in the Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

10 euro S-video LCD!!!!!

I had planned to use a PSP LCD --> custom breakout board with an FPGA video processor --> Pi (still waiting for my pi to arrive though)

I go all kinds of 'Space Pen' overkill and Steve SI pulls a pencil out of his pocket. LOL

Steve do you have a linky to the LCD?

The quality looks fantastic for something so low priced.

Spacedog wrote: »
    10 euro S-video LCD!!!!!

I had planned to use a PSP LCD --> custom breakout board with an FPGA video processor --> Pi (still waiting for my pi to arrive though)

I go all kinds of 'Space Pen' overkill and Steve SI pulls a pencil out of his pocket. LOL

Haha!

Was that actually true, or was it an urban legend?

Classic though! :pac:

Steve do you have a linky to the LCD?

The quality looks fantastic for something so low priced.

Haha!

Was that actually true, or was it an urban legend?

Classic though! :pac:

Yeah, here ya go:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150715003190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3052wt_967

It not the best quality now but for the price is decent. Games look much better on it than say the Pi OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holy **** Steve_SI, I've only just seen your recent pics and videos. That looks absolutely amazing. I hope you'll be able to mass produce these! ;)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Holy **** Steve_SI, I've only just seen your recent pics and videos. That looks absolutely amazing. I hope you'll be able to mass produce these! ;)

Cheers, Hopefully I can get this one completed before I think about mass production :)
    My only real issue is the software side of things as the main Pi OS's are still very basic and need lots of work(drivers, apps and emulators etc). Loads of people including myself working on the software so hopefully when this is complete I'll have an equally nice OS to stick on it that works well.

Yeah, here ya go:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150715003190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3052wt_967

It not the best quality now but for the price is decent. Games look much better on it than say the Pi OS.

How does it compare to the other 3.5" LCDs, such as the one used for replacing the Game Gear's screen?

Might just order it right now.

Add a 9v battery and you have a portable tv, which would be very useful for testing retro consoles in shops, car boot sales etc...

And thanks a lot for the link btw.

That was the first thing I meant to put in the post but forgot!

• Advertisement

How does it compare to the other 3.5" LCDs, such as the one used for replacing the Game Gear's screen?

Might just order it right now.

Add a 9v battery and you have a portable tv, which would be very useful for testing retro consoles in shops, car boot sales etc...

Well, I think you mean the Nomad screen mod. That screen costs about 45 euro inc delivery from Deal Extreme (if you can get one, I've a couple ordered since the stone age). That Nomad screen is slightly lower resolution that this one but looks 100 times better and the lower res lends well to the Nomad output (and probably lends itself well to the small screen). EnterNow knows more about this than me as he's done that mod a few times and I've seen Andrews Nomad and the screen is a thing of beauty.

Also, on a Pi note. I'm currently running my Pi at 800Mhz with zero heat or performance issues (700Mhz is the stock speed). Just a warning, if you overclock it voids the warranty as it sets a permanent bit on the chip. So if you overclock and kill the Pi and send it back via warranty they will know its been clocked.

Did some modding and other work on the RasPiBoy this evening and I must say I'm very happy with how its coming along.

Couple of quick pics and some vids to follow later.
    Click for full size versions:

dsc1719b.jpg

dsc1723b.jpg

Edit:-
    1st vid:

Edit:-
    2nd vid:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

So are you able to load custom backgrounds onto it?

208707.jpg

I can't wait to see that particular shade of green. Perhaps shoop up something that won't get the soulless Nintendo legal team sitting up so straight though.

Retrovia has the same number of letters as Nintendo, doesn't it?

a5y wrote: »

208707.jpg

I can't wait to see that particular shade of green. Perhaps shoop up something that won't get the soulless Nintendo legal team sitting up so straight though.

Yeah, I'll whip up something for a nice background at a later stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looking good! Did you just change the screen geometry so you didn't have to cut the bezel?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Looking good! Did you just change the screen geometry so you didn't have to cut the bezel?

I messed around with the overscan until it looked right. You make all those sort of changes in a text file that sits on the boot partition of the SD card (it reads that text file before doing anything else and is very handy).
    I also changed the resolution to 320x240 as 640x480 (the LCD's native res) was a bit high for such a small segment of the screen and everything was to small to read etc.
    I'd like to use the full size of the LCD but I think it looks better and more in keeping with the idea of the mod this way.

To fit the screen in as it was I had to Dremel out a couple of the plastic parts that allow you to screw the Game Boy closed. So I'll need to think of something else to do that now.

Congratulations as always Steve.

It looks fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

a5y wrote: »

208707.jpg

There's an easier way to get that screen, just leave the Gameboy as is! :pac:

Steve - have you decided what the device is going to do? As in will it have a sole purpose (like a handheld Mame device) or is it more a tech demo of what you can do with the Raspberry Pi chap? Will it be full controllable using the standard D-pad and buttons or do you reckon you'll need to use a keyboard or mouse etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a feeling, just a feeling, that when this project reaches fruition...
    It is going to rock, and not only that, but rock hard!

Good work Steve!
    You have your own investor group here, awaiting results!

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    There's an easier way to get that screen, just leave the Gameboy as is! :pac:

Steve - have you decided what the device is going to do? As in will it have a sole purpose (like a handheld Mame device) or is it more a tech demo of what you can do with the Raspberry Pi chap? Will it be full controllable using the standard D-pad and buttons or do you reckon you'll need to use a keyboard or mouse etc?

At the moment it's a tech demo that can change into a nice little emulation/media machine (it runs XBMC very well with the right compile) or proper linux desktop machine (not a very powerful one) depending on where I decide to take it.
    I'm hoping to have it controlled with the dpad and buttons with the USB ports free for a proper keyb and mouse or another joystick. It all depends on the software which is in the very early stages.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a feeling, just a feeling, that when this project reaches fruition...
    It is going to rock, and not only that, but rock hard!

Good work Steve!
    You have your own investor group here, awaiting results!

Only time will tell if its any good. At the very least its a good test machine and the next one will be an improvement.

Advertisement