Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Issues

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have used PM about 18 times in the past 10 weeks and found them to very good, I had an oversized package delivered yesterday and I collected it in Finglas last night

I've had one bad experience, I ordered a christmas present for Santa which arrived with them in NI on the 11th of December, but when I rang then looking for it on the 18th, they couldn't find it. it took them 48 hours to check their warehouse, but no luck. I had to but the item in Dublin for twice the price, but then may I should have ordered it before the rush started

The issue I have is, it arrived this morning !!!!

I don't want it now, I got another one at twice the price, remember?

What cover do PM have for late deliveries, can I request a full refund or do I have to accept that the parcel arrived, even though I was told they lost it

PS. Because of the sales the price online is now half what if was

check out distance selling regulations your entitled to a cooling off period. although parcel accepted it for you , so no doubt the cooling off period started then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

irishgeo wrote: »
    check out distance selling regulations your entitled to a cooling off period. although parcel accepted it for you , so no doubt the cooling off period started then.

Cooling off period started when item was delivered to ParcelMotel,

Company that sold the item were contracted to get it to the parcelmotel address, after its successfully delivered to this address it is no longer their concern if its lost, damaged or delayed.

Some companys like Amazon have extended return periods at this time of year, so worth checking if the item can still be returned for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Count yourself lucky, I have an item missing since delivery to antrim on the 25th of November, despite various searches and 10 day's to process a refund im still getting the long finger from them. No call backs and constantly chasing them and getting the run around the customer service has been woefull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

plodder wrote: »
    This is a fantastic service. Well done to whoever thought it up!

Hey- almost a year since this post.

What now?

- Well, PM appears to have GROOOOOOOANNNN- sorry Grown massively since then..

- We use to love having Orla on here. Wow! did she make sh*t happen when we could speak to her.

- Fantastic service still? Oh yea!! But heh, the Peasants are Revolting..

- I'm an Early Adopter- I think I'm in the 60 ish transactions at this point. 59ish were Gr8. 1 was pathetic. Some highly artistic and extremely valuable member of the company's Guidance Section ( Driver ;-)) SAT on my package and destroyed it... Wot did I do- accept 1 lossfor 59?

- NOT FOOKIN LIKELY! Took a while, but the cheque for loss has been issued.. However some minimising scroat has yet to refund the cost of the fact that PM charged me for destroying my package!! Its been raised with Customer Services- I eagerly await completion of that transaction.,,

- What Now?

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hey- almost a year since this post.

What now?

- Well, PM appears to have GROOOOOOOANNNN- sorry Grown massively since then..

- We use to love having Orla on here. Wow! did she make sh*t happen when we could speak to her.

- Fantastic service still? Oh yea!! But heh, the Peasants are Revolting..

- I'm an Early Adopter- I think I'm in the 60 ish transactions at this point. 59ish were Gr8. 1 was pathetic. Some highly artistic and extremely valuable member of the company's Guidance Section ( Driver ;-)) SAT on my package and destroyed it... Wot did I do- accept 1 lossfor 59?

- NOT FOOKIN LIKELY! Took a while, but the cheque for loss has been issued.. However some minimising scroat has yet to refund the cost of the fact that PM charged me for destroying my package!! Its been raised with Customer Services- I eagerly await completion of that transaction.,,

- What Now?

Simples!
    I've only used the service a few times myself and had no problems at all, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. But, only for small packages, that I know will fit in the lockers and up to a certain point in value. Also, packages that I know are able to take a bit of "rough and tumble".

It's a tricky situation though when they are effectively signing for your package. Mistakes are bound to happen, and they need to be clear about how they get resolved.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have no connection with Parcel Motel, other than after my post a year ago, they offered me a free credit. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hugo habicht

Hello,

I received an oversized parcel and although I got a text that I can collect it in Dublin they also have a depot in Cork. So far so good.

The problem is that I have been charged 21 Euro due to the oversize. The calculation is not by weight but using the volumetric weight which is length x height x width / 3000 (dimensions in cm). So although the parcel weighs very little (4 pillows) I have been charged 21 Euro extra.

I have been advised that the extra charge can be up to 161 Euro (!) which would correspond to a volume of roughly 90x90x90 cm. Although this is fairly big keep in mind that you will be charged that even if it weighs only 10kg for example.

I used Parcel Motel in the past and was very happy with the service but from now on I will definitely be very carefully checking the dimensions with the shipper before ordering. If it is oversize Parcel Motel is simply not competitive.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

The problem is that I have been charged 21 Euro due to the oversize. The calculation is not by weight but using the volumetric weight which is length x height x width / 3000 (dimensions in cm). So although the parcel weighs very little (4 pillows) I have been charged 21 Euro extra.

I have been advised that the extra charge can be up to 161 Euro (!) which would correspond to a volume of roughly 90x90x90 cm. Although this is fairly big keep in mind that you will be charged that even if it weighs only 10kg for example.

I used Parcel Motel in the past and was very happy with the service but from now on I will definitely be very carefully checking the dimensions with the shipper before ordering. If it is oversize Parcel Motel is simply not competitive.

Not competitive with who exactly? An Post?

You do realise that every courier and postal service use volumetric weight for oversized or overweight delivery. They all maximise their profit for the inconvenience of heavy OR bulky items. I fail to see the problem with this.

If you have an alternative that would've been cheaper delivery for your four pillows, then post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

I have used Parcel Motel frequently over the past two years. All without problems, except for one delivery.
    The box was sopping wet and badly damaged when I opened the PM locker. It was a few days before Christmas so I took it home and closely photographed the box at its various stages of opening. I was lucky that the Chinese seller had packaged the item extremely well. The electronic product's box was packed inside a bigger box with paper padding. Also the item itself was wrapped in a plastic bag inside the product box. The water damage had penetrated right the way through the outer box, paper padding and inner product box which was also damaged. The only thing that ultimately saved the electronics was the plastic bag surrounding the product itself.

I surmised that the driver had dropped it into a deep puddle as we had very bad flooding around the delivery time. He had also either thrown or kicked the box as it was badly physically damaged as well.

I checked my account and PM's picture of the accepted delivery at the Antrim depot and it "looked" okay. However I noticed that they cynically take the photos from such a distance where you would not see water damage or anything else bar semi or total destruction of your parcel anyway.

I contacted PM about this attaching my photographs of the water damaged and physically smashed in packaging. The response I had form their "customer service" was spectacular.

It took the form of: "Up Yours!", presumably with an Antrim accent. No offer of any compensation, since the product was okay, regardless of the photographic proof of the damaged parcel. My point was that I paid for their service and they did not deliver on that service. Damaged parcels are not what I pay for.

From that point on I will only use them if they are significantly cheaper than the alternative, and only with bombproof and definitively small items. I would say they have lost half of my business due to two employees (driver & customer agent) who don't realise who pays their wages.

Lesson learned.

Distance Selling
    ============
    The point that someone made about your distance selling rights going out the window if you use PM is also true. If they receive your parcel on day 1 and you receive it from PM on day 2, 3 or 4, your have already lost that many days of your time to return without question.

If they delay your parcel after receiving it, then every day that it is delayed after they receive it endangers your right to return the item at all under distance selling rules.

If they lose your parcel completely, then you are in a battle with PM for the cost of the product AND their charges. As one poster reported it took him forever to have this sorted with PM dragging their feet for the entire process.

I presume if your product is damaged as in my case they will be similarly difficult to deal with, or may point blank refuse to reimburse you. They will refer back to the cynical photograph taken at their Antrim depot, as if their driver's who subsequently handle your parcel are blameless innocent paragons of virtue.

Be aware, their customer service when things go wrong at their end is less than stellar. They are a courier company, so you can imagine how much they give a tihs about you or your parcel.

I find delivery fulfilled, or direct from Amazon, or the seller to be safest, as all of your distance selling rights are intact, and also with complete loss or damage to your parcel you are completely covered by EU and Irish consumer law.

Advertisement