Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

gtg60 wrote: »
    SPAWKER wrote: »
    Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

Blue cards are already dead so nothing to do with it.
    I'm doing the trick with a blue card.

What happens when you do the trick? Does the uk epg load from the uk card at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Blue cards are already dead so nothing to do with it.

The blue cards still load the english EPG for the card trick so in my eyes they are not dead yet.They will also load it on a HD box that I use for free to air that has the Irish EPG on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

To clarify:
    The Blue cards are dead already, you said in your post that maybe Sky sent out a signal to kill the Blue cards, they can't do this.

Even though they are dead they still load the UK EPG so if the Card Trick was going to work it wouldn't matter if you used a Blue or White card, make sense?

To clarify:
    The Blue cards are dead already, you said in your post that maybe Sky sent out a signal to kill the Blue cards, they can't do this.

Even though they are dead they still load the UK EPG so if the Card Trick was going to work it wouldn't matter if you used a Blue or White card, make sense?

It does and doesnt because if you put an older card in the box any of the ones that predated the blue ones it wont recognaise them at all,and thats in any box not just the HD ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Major update - the card trick no Longer works. I received an update on my sky box last night and it has blocked basically the ability to use the card trick I tried it again and again but it doesn't seem to work.

I've run the procedure several times today but to no avail I'll keep you informed but there is not much I can do about it I'd say
    Can you check if removing card and switching off at the mains changes epg to english version because if so it may be possible to record if you switch cards at the start of a programme as we could before the software update of autumm 2010. (which meant we could do the card trick as we now no it) ?

It does and doesnt because if you put an older card in the box any of the ones that predated the blue ones it wont recognaise them at all,and thats in any box not just the HD ones.

Yep. I tried an original UK Sky Digital card (light blue with Sky egg logo) in my HD box. I got a "No satellite signal is being received" error until I removed the card. I only have Irish yellow house and white cards so haven't been able to do the card trick on the HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

energy1942 wrote: »
    Can you check if removing card and switching off at the mains changes epg to english version because if so it may be possible to record if you switch cards at the start of a programme as we could before the software update of autumm 2010. (which meant we could do the card trick as we now no it) ?

It stays on the irish epg after a reboot with no card in it :) My apologies for the delay in responce folks....ive been rather busy recently with a massive website overhaul :)

jca wrote: »
    What happens when you do the trick? Does the uk epg load from the uk card at all?

Beta Software - Latest Release in relation to card trick:

- You can load up the ftv epg with an Dark Blue/Purple marked DVC card in it and cannot record since its not a card that has recording enabled on it
    - You can load up the irish epg with a standard card
    - You only get irish epg after card removal and subsequent reboot with no card present
    - After attempting card trick and placing in irish card it would not show up the additional uk epg entries plus any time i try to type in a channel number like 102 which would share the same epg number as on the FTV epg it would automatically redirect to ch 998 (a subsequent glitch)

Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

Dark Blue/Purple marked DVC - It was working perfectly originally for the card trick but an update killed the card trick but not the actual card. I put in the blue card on its own and it does work to give you the FTV epg for scotland in my case so its not as if the card has been rejected :)

• Advertisement

Dark Blue/Purple marked DVC - It was working perfectly originally but an update killed it. I put in the blue card on its own and it does work to give you the FTV epg for scotland in my case so its not as if the card has been rejected :)
    Did you try my earlier suggestion of clearing the other channels and retuning them while on the beta epg?

More Info on recent updates:

Software Release 49.14 on 15/05/2012

Hi all,

We are about to send a new version of the enhanced guide software to your set top boxes. The version will be 49.14 and will be sent to your set top box and switched during the early hours of tomorrow morning (16th May). The STB will have to be switched on (passive standby is fine) to receive the update. Deep / red light standby will prevent the software being received.

The new version contains a number of additional fixes on top of those released in version 49.07.

As before, when we say we have a fix to a symptom, we know we have resolved at least one root cause, but cannot be certain there are no other causes. As such your continued feedback is extremely valuable to us to monitor the software reliability and all of your contributions are welcome!

Specifically, we expect to see improvement in the following symptoms:
    - PIN request on other channels when PIN restrictions off
    - Unable to access third party subscribed channels
    - Unable to order WWE event
    - S&S Banner doesn’t time out after recording playback
    - Blue Screen / No Audio on exit from standby
    - Reduction in audio dropouts on optical connection
    - Blue Screen on exiting interactive
    - Intermittently blank TV listings after purchasing from boxoffice
    - “Interactive Services not available” or not working after red button press
    - Further cases of unable to delete item from planner
    - Reminder icon not removed after cancelling boxoffice purchase
    - Further case of lockup when deleting items from planner
    - Graphical error on search and scan banner with PIN entry field

Please also note that we are aware of one issue which you may experience with this software version:
    - If an incorrect PIN is entered during event purchase, “Incorrect pin” warning may not be displayed, and the PIN request will not clear and the purchase will not complete until you exit and re-enter the purchase screen. After exit/re-enter of purchase screen, the correct PIN will then successfully complete the purchase.
    (Please be careful with the above issue to avoid locking your pin by repeatedly entering it incorrectly. We already have a fix for this issue however it is not in version 49.14 and will be released next time we send you an update)

As you can see, we continue to use your feedback to prioritise and resolve problems, and our conversations with you on this board and sometimes on the phone are extremely valuable to us.

Thanks,
    Sky Guide Development Team

Did you try my earlier suggestion of clearing the other channels and retuning them while on the beta epg?

Yep - did that twice with no luck since the update

That suggestion was more in hope than anything else!! Maybe after this big update you could be in luck. I can't see any reason why sky would deliberately lock out the fta channels.

That suggestion was more in hope than anything else!! Maybe after this big update you could be in luck. I can't see any reason why sky would deliberately lock out the fta channels.

Ive already tested this out post last update with no success :( Ye never know with sky....epg positions are paid for as far as I remember so sky will always look to control it for their benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

The box in the sitting is 47.0.16.1 for EPG Software Version..dont know about the bedroom box

The box in the sitting is 47.0.16.1 for EPG Software Version..dont know about the bedroom box

This new epg is still beta - i signed up to be a beta tester so its not been released to the general public as of yet. August might be the month of its official release but there is no official announcement as of yet.

This new epg is still beta - i signed up to be a beta tester so its not been released to the general public as of yet. August might be the month of its official release but there is no official announcement as of yet.

Heard a rumour that it will going live to everyone from the 3rd of july.

Heard a rumour that it will going live to everyone from the 3rd of july.

Ill re-check the development forum sky have up for us beta testers at the moment but last I checked there was no date set.

More Info on recent updates:

Software Release 49.14 on 15/05/2012

Hi all,

We are about to send a new version of the enhanced guide software to your set top boxes. The version will be 49.14 and will be sent to your set top box and switched during the early hours of tomorrow morning (16th May). The STB will have to be switched on (passive standby is fine) to receive the update. Deep / red light standby will prevent the software being received.

The new version contains a number of additional fixes on top of those released in version 49.07.

As before, when we say we have a fix to a symptom, we know we have resolved at least one root cause, but cannot be certain there are no other causes. As such your continued feedback is extremely valuable to us to monitor the software reliability and all of your contributions are welcome!

Specifically, we expect to see improvement in the following symptoms:
    - PIN request on other channels when PIN restrictions off
    - Unable to access third party subscribed channels
    - Unable to order WWE event
    - S&S Banner doesn’t time out after recording playback
    - Blue Screen / No Audio on exit from standby
    - Reduction in audio dropouts on optical connection
    - Blue Screen on exiting interactive
    - Intermittently blank TV listings after purchasing from boxoffice
    - “Interactive Services not available” or not working after red button press
    - Further cases of unable to delete item from planner
    - Reminder icon not removed after cancelling boxoffice purchase
    - Further case of lockup when deleting items from planner
    - Graphical error on search and scan banner with PIN entry field

Please also note that we are aware of one issue which you may experience with this software version:
    - If an incorrect PIN is entered during event purchase, “Incorrect pin” warning may not be displayed, and the PIN request will not clear and the purchase will not complete until you exit and re-enter the purchase screen. After exit/re-enter of purchase screen, the correct PIN will then successfully complete the purchase.
    (Please be careful with the above issue to avoid locking your pin by repeatedly entering it incorrectly. We already have a fix for this issue however it is not in version 49.14 and will be released next time we send you an update)

As you can see, we continue to use your feedback to prioritise and resolve problems, and our conversations with you on this board and sometimes on the phone are extremely valuable to us.

Thanks,
    Sky Guide Development Team
    Did this update install? Any news on the card trick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Ill re-check the development forum sky have up for us beta testers at the moment but last I checked there was no date set.
    Future channels and events

May

• 28 - STAR One will be rebranded as Life OK on channel 783[3][4]
    • 29 - BuzMuzik on channel 382, replacing Chart Show TV +1[5][6][7]
    • Sky HD and Sky+ HD EPG software update[8]

this is usually quite spot on from anything i've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

This card trick is THE ONLY reason I am still with Sky. If they mess it up with the new EPG I , and I imagine many more, will be gone never to return!

Did this update install? Any news on the card trick?

It did - the card trick still does not work :(

eddiem10 wrote: »
    This card trick is THE ONLY reason I am still with Sky. If they mess it up with the new EPG I , and I imagine many more, will be gone never to return!

Well Im open to suggestions....Sky are not bound by anything to allow this trick :( You have to remember that this new beta is been tinkered around with by me and with lots of advice from gtg60 and others - Ill keep messing around with it and see what we come up with but as stated before -

It doesn't look good for the card trick...

this is usually quite spot on from anything i've seen

What site did ye pick that up on may I ask? Wikipedia?

Scratch that! I saw the citation links....I haven't seen anything on the developer forum as of yet though so Ill keep looking and let ye guys know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

It did - the card trick still does not work :(

What happens when you re-boot the box without a card in? Does it default to an Irish or UK epg? Thanks

What happens when you re-boot the box without a card in? Does it default to an Irish or UK epg? Thanks

Without a card and after reboot it shows the Irish epg

Looking bad so far. Does it keep defaulting to 998 when trying to access trick channels? Does anyone know why sky don't list the itv's ch5 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Woodie40

Looking bad so far. Does it keep defaulting to 998 when trying to access trick channels? Does anyone know why sky don't list the itv's ch5 etc?

Well TV3 would not be happy, look at their scheduling, it's basically ITV Ireland. As for Channel Five, they have Zero interest in Republic of Ireland viewers.

• Advertisement

It does keep defaulting plus no additional uk epg channels are added to the epg :( Sky and the broadcasters decide on that matter -Im not too sure how it works when it comes to UK FTA but I think they have to pay for slots on the Irish EPG because they are not national broadcasters for the republic...and they are not on the Irish EPG for that reason I'd say.

Advertisement