Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CADETSHIPS 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blondie.paula

Is there a dress code for the psychometric assessment? I couldn't find one in the document they circulated.

I'd like to know this too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Just got an e-mail from the Air Corps:

Fitness tests for non-Leaving Cert applicants going on from 28th May-1st June.

Preliminary interviews for non-LC applicants on 11th June.

Psychometric tests on 14th and 15th July.

Final interviews between 30th July and 4th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

How do we know which day of the fitness to go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

How do we know which day of the fitness to go to?

(a)They'll tell you
    (b)Its a secret.

Choose the correct answer at a or b above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Quick question about the PT sit-up. When in the "down" position, as in when your back is closest to the floor, how far back to you need to go. Is it just till your hands/palms are rested on your quads/thighs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Check out these online vids for day to day life in the Naval Service. Fairly insightful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxKC4csylc&feature=relmfu

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Got the fitness date. I'm Wednesday the 30th.
    Quite a lot of stuff we have to bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

what does the fitness test consist of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steve1985

I'm 191cm ish (6ft 3 - 6ft 4) do I have any hope of getting into the Air Corps? I see on the website that the max height is 188cm, is there any leniency? Also would it affect getting into the Army Cadets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

steve1985 wrote: »
    I'm 191cm ish (6ft 3 - 6ft 4) do I have any hope of getting into the Air Corps? I see on the website that the max height is 188cm, is there any leniency? Also would it affect getting into the Army Cadets?

From what I've heard the AC are quite strict on height requirements, for fitting into cockpits etc.

Should be nothing but a benefit for the army cadets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

BigDuffman wrote: »

From what I've heard the AC are quite strict on height requirements, for fitting into cockpits etc.

Should be nothing but a benefit for the army cadets.

Being tall in the army is bad, makes ya easier to spot when the NCOs are looking for volunteers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Being tall in the Army means that you can look forward to life as a MAG Man until you become an NCO.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steve1985

whats a MAG Man and whats an NCO?

whats a MAG Man and whats an NCO?

A MAG man is the best job in the army. It means "Masters All Guns"If you are lucky enough to get in, and someone in charge looks for a volunteer to be "mag man" then don't hesitate to put your hand up. They will teach you about all the guns the defence force use before the rest of your class, and you will get to teach your class first. Tall people are better Mag Men because they can see everyone at once. Easier to teach that way.

An NCO is like a waiter, or receptionist in a hotel. When you begin training, an NCO, or "New Cadets Orderly" will take your luggage, and bring it to your accomodation. They will also wake you on your first morning of training, with your new uniform ironed, and your officer shoes polished.

Many say NCOs are the hardest workers in the defence forces as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

have the psychometric test tomorrow. Is all I need ID and a copy of the email they sent me out? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

For folks who want to become leaders of men in the defence forces a lot of stupid questions being asked here about your future profession. Suggest some people need to man up and research more

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Anyone know how many applications were received for the DF Cadetship competition this year, and how many of those were for Army/Navy/Air Corps etc?

For folks who want to become leaders of men in the defence forces a lot of stupid questions being asked here about your future profession. Suggest some people need to man up and research more

asking questions is research.

Research is research. Asking questions is getting someone else to do the research for you.
    Asking questions on a bulletin board that could be just as easily answered by reading the info for canditates only a few clicks of a mouse away is pure laziness, and does not bode well for the future leaders of men and women.

• Advertisement

Research is research. Asking questions is getting someone else to do the research for you.
    Asking questions on a bulletin board that could be just as easily answered by reading the info for canditates only a few clicks of a mouse away is pure laziness, and does not bode well for the future leaders of men and women.
    Not even going to get into another keyboard war...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blondie.paula

How did everyone get on at the psychometric tests today? I didn't get the numerical reasoning finished but apart from that I thought it was ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How did everyone get on at the psychometric tests today? I didn't get the numerical reasoning finished but apart from that I thought it was ok :)

Slept lousy, was definitely not at the top of my game, didn't finish the numerical reasoning (got to 31) but was happy with what I did do. The verbal reasoning, there were some tough passages. Job sim was fine though. Good test in that one. Hopefully got through fine and move on to the next stage in July now.

I've my Air Corp PT on Thursday morning.

Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I thought the numerical test was poxy hard. Only got 22 questions answered, the rest was eeny meeny miny moe dash in the last few seconds.

Verbal was ok. Job sims went ok as far as my interpretation of what was the right answer.

But you never know if they are looking for you to be honest eg. "yes I did look at the test answers that were in the bin" or what ideological answer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I thought the numerical test was poxy hard. Only got 22 questions answered, the rest was eeny meeny miny moe dash in the last few seconds.

Verbal was ok. Job sims went ok as far as my interpretation of what was the right answer.

But you never know if they are looking for you to be honest eg. "yes I did look at the test answers that were in the bin" or what ideological answer is.

I thought the numerical was okay for the most part. Verbal was probably a bit tougher for me, but I hadn't had a decent night's sleep, so that's always going to be harder. As to the job sim, I was pretty honest. For that, wasn't going to hang myself, but wasn't going to be intentionally dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ronsonmac

In regards to the Job Simulation the whole "answer as honestly as possible" is a bit misleading i think. A better description of what approach to take would be choose the answer which you feel is the most honest. Being a cadet and an officer means having a lot of personal integrity and there is a constant theme of truth, loyalty and honesty in the army as a leader. That is the kind of mind set you need to have. In that example which another person gave above about seeing the answers of a test in a bin while you where walking where you should not have been is a good one. Most people would not see any problem with sneaking a look and maybe even sharing the answers with everyone in your class but the answer with the highest marks is the one in which you take the document to your supervisor admit you seen some answers and that you were breaking the rules being in an unauthorised area. Its all about Honesty.

Has anyone done the Air Corp PT yet. Just a quick question - do they stop you after 20 push ups and 20 sit ups? I can do a lot more but just wondering really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ronsonmac

cabla wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Air Corp PT yet. Just a quick question - do they stop you after 20 push ups and 20 sit ups? I can do a lot more but just wondering really.

Havent done the fitness test for the Air Corps but for the army they do stop you as soon as you hit 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

So how did anyone get on who did the Air Corps PT?

Advertisement