Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CADETSHIPS 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Just sent in my application! :) Best of luck to everyone applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

Just sent in my application! :) Best of luck to everyone applying!
    Are you still in school ?

Kiddd94 wrote: »
    Are you still in school ?

Nope, I'm a second year in college, but I might as well be just applying from school since I wont be getting any bonuses. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Remember folks, closing date is Sunday May 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

1: Maybe you should consider anger management classes so?

2:Judging by last years booklet the Air Corps don't have a group stage.

3: Who do you think YOU are to be telling me what to do.

Plus, nobody has awnsered my question yet. If somebody could do so quickly I would really appreciate it. Also is a cadetship like a ticket? As in once you're awarded it is it yours to do with it what you like? And if so what is the going rate for an Air Corps cadetship? This is all purely for informational purposes of course!

I'm not wasting my time or helping you out in anyway possible..but I will answer number 3. I am a concerned citizen and member of the defence forces who cannot believe that on a public forum you are potentially asking how one might go about cheating on the entrance exam to one of the most sought after jobs in the country.

If it prevents you from wasting time yes they do check ID. So don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 localcentra

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I'm not wasting my time or helping you out in anyway possible..but I will answer number 3. I am a concerned citizen and member of the defence forces who cannot believe that on a public forum you are potentially asking how one might go about cheating on the entrance exam to one of the most sought after jobs in the country.

That very strange isnt it ONE OF THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER JOBS IN THE COUNTRY please give me a reasonable explanation as to why all the pilots are running from it at the moment , am i missing something here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

That very strange isnt it ONE OF THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER JOBS IN THE COUNTRY please give me a reasonable explanation as to why all the pilots are running from it at the moment , am i missing something here ?

I think he means the Cadetships as a whole. Huge numbers apply for the limited positions every year. The competition is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

I never mentioned cheating. Not even potentially ;)

Well thank you for the answer, that's all you had to say.

Because in what other job can you retire in your early 40s with a pension, and hop into another job that pays twice as much?

It is the most sought after job because after the 2 years of hard grind, you'll never have to do a hard days work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The figures are out of my head, I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong but this year for GS nearly 10,000 people applied.

Last year, IIRC nearly 7000 people went for 21 positions in the cadets. This to me would indicate that these are highly sought after jobs.

As GF mentioned, excelent free training, pensioned young with ability to go straight back into work on pension?

• Advertisement

Somewhat related question:

Why is it that no other air force in the world (that I know of) will allow you to join without citizenship of that country, yet with Ireland...

"At the time of application a candidate must satisfy the following citizenship requirements:

Be a citizen of Ireland OR,
    Be a refugee under the Refugee Act 1996 OR,
    Be Nationals of EEA States or the Swiss Confederation, OR,
    Be Nationals of any other State who are lawfully present in Ireland and have five (5) years lawful residence here."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Is anyone applying to Sandhurst as backup to the Irish Cadets?
    There are so many applying for so few positions here it's almost a lottery, as I'm sure hundreds of the aplicants would do the job as well as the few selected.

Is Sandhurst much easier to get into?

At the end of the day is an officer with the British Army a more rewarding position?

Obviously I'm not interested in any rubbish re nationalism/imperialism, 800 years etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheBigLt

The figures are out of my head, I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong but this year for GS nearly 10,000 people applied.

Last year, IIRC nearly 7000 people went for 21 positions in the cadets. This to me would indicate that these are highly sought after jobs.

As GF mentioned, excelent free training, pensioned young with ability to go straight back into work on pension?
    I believe you'd be fairly correct for general enlistment this year with that figure. Not sure about cadetships last year but i believe over 2000 sat the aptitude tests. How many doctors surgeons and dentists graduate each year? I'd imagine more than 21 making cadetships more than likely the toughest job to get at the moment.

Is anyone applying to Sandhurst as backup to the Irish Cadets?
    There are so many applying for so few positions here it's almost a lottery, as I'm sure hundreds of the aplicants would do the job as well as the few selected.

Is Sandhurst much easier to get into?

At the end of the day is an officer with the British Army a more rewarding position?

Obviously I'm not interested in any rubbish re nationalism/imperialism, 800 years etc.
    Anyone i've heard of applying to the BA just went the general enlistment route. Most of which are people the Defence Forces rejected or people who wanted to see some action. I just couldn't picture an Irish man or women sitting among fellow BA officers most of whom are of upper class and very well educated having a conversation. Heavy Irish accent and upper class British one don't really go together that well haha

TheBigLt wrote: »
    Anyone i've heard of applying to the BA just went the general enlistment route. Most of which are people the Defence Forces rejected or people who wanted to see some action. I just couldn't picture an Irish man or women sitting among fellow BA officers most of whom are of upper class and very well educated having a conversation. Heavy Irish accent and upper class British one don't really go together that well haha

Ah c'mon will ya!!!
    They advertise that they will accept citizens of the Irish Republic.
    There must be plenty who have been accepted as an officer cadet in the past or thinking of applying in the near future.

We hold our own in all aspects of British society, why not in their army??
    We have outgrown the "squaddie only route", in my opinion.

Ah c'mon will ya!!!
    There must be plenty who have been accepted as an officer cadet in the past or thinking of applying in the near future.

Inclined to agree.

If I don't get Irish Air Corp I'll definitely be trying for British Army Air Corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

If I don't get Irish Air Corp I'll definitely be trying for British Army Air Corp.

Just as difficult to get into the British army air corps, plus if you don't get the Irish air corps first time you can apply the next year. You apply for AAC while in Sandhurst so if you don't get it you'll end up in another part of the BA.

Ah c'mon will ya!!!

I never said it doesn't happen i merely said most of the guys i know in it or have known in it went the general enlistment route. I'm sure there are many Irish guys and girls serving as British Officers. You've just missed my point

Jaysus lads, there are enough threads about joining the brits everywhere else. Can you not keep it out of one thread and just leave this one about the CADETSHIPS FOR THE IRISH DEFENCE FORCES.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Somewhat related question:

Why is it that no other air force in the world (that I know of) will allow you to join without citizenship of that country, yet with Ireland...

"At the time of application a candidate must satisfy the following citizenship requirements:

Be a citizen of Ireland OR,
    Be a refugee under the Refugee Act 1996 OR,
    Be Nationals of EEA States or the Swiss Confederation, OR,
    Be Nationals of any other State who are lawfully present in Ireland and have five (5) years lawful residence here."

Technically that's not saying you must be a citizen, if you are a refugee you can also join.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Lynchy747 wrote:
    Technically that's not saying you must be a citizen, if you are a refugee you can also join.

I think that's his point...

Just said I'd start a thread that people can post on if they get/hear any info on cadetships in 2012. Numbers. Dates etc.
    Jaysus lads, there are enough threads about joining the brits everywhere else. Can you not keep it out of one thread and just leave this one about the CADETSHIPS FOR THE IRISH DEFENCE FORCES.

I just asked whether anyone was applying to Sandhurst as BACKUP to the IDF.
    A relevant question considering how difficult it is to obtain a cadetship in the IDF.

I think that this is not off topic - see opening post above.
    No mention of IDF only!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

A relevant question considering how difficult it is to obtain a cadetship in the IDF.

There was no need for him to say "Irish Defence Forces only". This thread is about the DF Cadetships running this year, so its implied. If you want to talk about joining the BA or applying for Sandhurst, just search for the endless number topics on the issue or start your own.

So you want to join the Brits and the Israeli Defence forces too, and you tell us in a thread about cadetships in the Irish Defence forces?

So you want to join the Brits and the Israeli Defence forces too, and you tell us in a thread about cadetships in the Irish Defence forces?

Congratulations on your new appointment as Mod - you're doing a splendid job!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Turbine wrote: »
    Lynchy747 wrote:

I think that's his point...

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Because in what other job can you retire in your early 40s with a pension, and hop into another job that pays twice as much?

The days of the half pension are long gone. Anyone going in on a cadetship this year will be going in on a pension scheme that will have their pension based on the new public sector scheme which is based over average earnings throughout the career with maximum benefits accruing over 30 years. If you want the full thing, hitting the martin baker in your early 40's is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Closing date tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goose2002

Closing date tomorrow

Unfortunately they appear to have scheduled site maintenance for the last two days of the application period and the online applications are unavailable. Not really the best planning there..... :confused:

Advertisement