Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equine sculpture - Ballymun

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

was watchin the RTE news at 6 earlier and they are going to be putting up a sculpture of a girl in tracksuit bottoms sitting on a horse...

people seem to be outraged by it, saying its "going" to give Ballymun a bad image... i dont see the big deal about it...just because she s wearing tracksuit bottoms... why wud that give the area a bad image...

anyway wat do u think about it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I think that with the amount of effort that the regeneration took they should have chosen a more positive image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Could have been worse, the girl might have been wearing pajamas.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

micmclo wrote: »
    Could have been worse, the girl might have been wearing pajamas.

ballymun is not in the city centre or near clanbrassil street.

i think its good, while ballymun moves on from its past into a futiure of high rise and poor planning i feel its good to remember the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"The whore on the Horse"

"The nag on the nag"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

And what about that sluh Molly Malone, wit' her boobs hanging out and her only after dying of the pox from sleeping around, the brasser?

I mean, people, get over it: I think it's a great idea, and a lovely piece of art. Contemporary, in-context, well executed. It might not make those who seek to rewrite the area's history comfortable, but f-em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The filly on the pony, the mare on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How can they tell they are track suit bottoms, what with it being a bronze statue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

They have the adidas logo and three stripes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ballymun is not in the city centre or near clanbrassil street.

i think its good, while ballymun moves on from its past into a futiure of high rise and poor planning i feel its good to remember the past

Do you know what Ballymun is now?.. Its worse planning, low rise and high density.

Its social problems have been poorly addressed and nothing solved.

Ballymun regeneration is a plaster over a huge, festering wound.

Although I have not seen the statue, I've heard various debates and even the artist being interviewed and in my opinion its poor bollox.

And Btw, its hardly a throw back to the past. The girl on the horse is a teenage resident in Ballymun (she was 12 yrs old when the sculpture was done) and she's wearing trackends and WELLIES!. ffs :rolleyes:

Where's Degsy when I need him?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Here's a link to the story on six-one news

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1121/6news_av.html?2452632,null,230

I think the statue is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Here's a link to the story on six-one news

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1121/6news_av.html?2452632,null,230

I think the statue is brilliant.

01:10 in that video, Jaysus that's an old bus in the background!

I like the statue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

people seem to be outraged by it, saying its "going" to give Ballymun a bad image... i dont see the big deal about it... they have that culture out ther... just because she s wearing tracksuit bottoms...

who's "they"? Skangers on horses isnt a culture, its delinquency. The "urban cowboy" crap is just something the media latched onto as a striking image and has been perpetuated by every two bit govt grant artist since.

If this guy had decided to put a statue of black guys playing basketball in parnell street (after all THEY do that :rolleyes:) he'd be perpetuating the same lazy stereotypes as he is here and he would be absolutely SLATED for it by the media and the lovey brigade.

And everything Mairt says about BRL is correct. The regeneration was nothing but a bargain basement land grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

some people have too much time on their hands, waste of money for the thing that's a cert and also a waste of energy complaining.

Everyone's a winner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I would support an Into the West statue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that labour councillor should shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

We're in recession but once again Irish stupidity decides to spend money on a lump of useless metal in the middle of a public area..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a ****in disgrace.
    The pups who go round on horses ride the creatures into the ground,dont feed them properly and often leave them without water for days on end.
    As Bambi says,its not a culture,its delinquency and shouldnt be celebrated.
    If nothing else the statue is an insult to the "new" ballymunners who've moved into the area,often paying top dollar to do so.
    Its typical too that the "artist" is from belfast..what the hell would a nordy know about ballymun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Your right,why are we glorifying animal cruelty and bad behaviour,This statue isnt giving a Ballymun a bad image,it already had one,the place is a hellhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

Mairt wrote: »
    Do you know what Ballymun is now?.. Its worse planning, low rise and high density.

Its social problems have been poorly addressed and nothing solved.

Ballymun regeneration is a plaster over a huge, festering wound.

Although I have not seen the statue, I've heard various debates and even the artist being interviewed and in my opinion its poor bollox.

And Btw, its hardly a throw back to the past. The girl on the horse is a teenage resident in Ballymun (she was 12 yrs old when the sculpture was done) and she's wearing trackends and WELLIES!. ffs :rolleyes:

Where's Degsy when I need him?.

You have some cheek saying that. I am from the area, and I come from a very respectable family, never been in any trouble, and live in a lovely area now, also in Ballymun, you are obviously from Foxrock, or some jumped up, pretentious area like that, cop on, and get a life, it's not where you live, it's how you live.

• Advertisement

ehh...Mairts from ballymun :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Janey I like it. But then again I think the regeneration project is working. I base this on occasionally hanging around there in the mid-80's and occasionally working and socializing there in the 00's and now. The Penthouse pub is a cracking boozer. Friendly, lively, welcoming and fun...like a lot of the people out that way.

"The GlueBag on the Knack's Nag"?

"Howehyawatta"?

the penter's being closed for years now. And it was a kip for the last ten years of its existence

Why doesnt the sculptor build a staue of somebody throwing a petrol bomb and erect it on the falls road?

Bambi wrote: »
    the penter's being closed for years now. And it was a kip for the last ten years of its existence

I think he was talking about the penthouse suit in The Merrion tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

you are obviously from Foxrock
    LOL :D

......and you are obviously fairly new around here!

Now, chocciebutton - attack the post, not the poster. Mairt's comments, unlike yours, were not personal.

I, for one. Would like to welcome our new Ballymun overlord - Chocciebutton :p

Choccie, at the risk of getting into a pi$$ing contest but my family have lived in Ballymun since 1969 (I think, Rashers can confirm).

In fact my younger brother, Ericl (doesn't post in this forum) was actually born in the bedroom of our flat on Balcurris Rd.

Mairt wrote: »
    I, for one. Would like to welcome our new Ballymun overlord - Chocciebutton :p

Choccie, at the risk of getting into a pi$$ing contest but my family have lived in Ballymun since 1969 (I think, Rashers can confirm).

In fact my younger brother, Ericl (doesn't post in this forum) was actually born in the bedroom of our flat on Balcurris Rd.

Posh cnunt:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Penthouse gone?! Well there you go. You turn your back for a few minutes and they go mental with the place. Ok it wasn't the prittiest but I'd a laugh there and there's a lot to be said for laughing.

Still a good sculpture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement