Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It appears you can teach an old dog new tricks...

Options
  • 08-03-2012 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Found this online and thought it might be nice to share. Although I am sure plenty will say not, :D but fair play to him!

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/07/a-fishermans-tale-about-life-without-an-education/?hpt=hp_t3
    Editor's note: In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week, we introduce you to a 98-year old lobster-boat captain from Mystic, Connecticut, who had a secret for nearly 90 years. He shares his story of learning to read in his 90's and then becoming an author.

My name is James Arruda Henry. I go by the name of James Henry because I have been incognito for most of my life. They called my father Big Henry when I was young.

Back then, everybody had a nickname. We kids went by the name of Arruda until we were more or less called Henry all the time and the name just stuck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I thought this was going to be about an old dog :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Oh, am sorry about that. :( Thought it was pretty obvious in the first paragraph that it wasn't about an actual 'dog'...

Well, you can't please everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I'm only poking fun. Interesting storing though. To still have that much drive in your nineties is pretty amazing. I enjoyed it!

Lambsbread wrote: »
    I'm only poking fun. Interesting storing though. To still have that much drive in your nineties is pretty amazing. I enjoyed it!

Yes, I thought the same. I suppose it touched a nerve as I am going to change careers and in the past made so many excuses... can't go back to college and study again; do I want to go back to being a poor student?.... how will I afford the fees?

Where there is a will, there is a way :)

Didn't realise the word limit for quoting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't realise the word limit for quoting.
    For Associated Press quotes , the word limit is just 4 words

http://boingboing.net/2008/06/17/associated-press-exp.html

Welcome to the new internets where you have to google each sentence to verify it's either in the public domain or not yet copyrighted. And you can quote me on that, except you can't because I'm not sure if I want to let you and even if I did I could still change my mind later.

Advertisement