Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

You'll probably have to get private jobs. So just apply to the recruiter as a couple and wait. It might take a bit longer but there are plenty of schools that hire couples and give you one apartment.

That's promising - thanks for that. Is that realistic even in the big cities (i.e. Seoul)? I have been looking at www.worknplay.co.kr for job listings. What recruiters would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Soldie wrote: »
    That's promising - thanks for that. Is that realistic even in the big cities (i.e. Seoul)? I have been looking at www.worknplay.co.kr for job listings. What recruiters would you recommend?

Hey Soldie,
    As R.D aka Mr. D said there are lots of schools and recruiters that look for couples. Maybe have a look on the Korean job board on Daves esl. As for recruiters I can't recommend one personally, the guy I used just deals with the South Gyeongsang Province, but as far as I can remember a lot of people here have had a good experience with ATC.
    Another option you might want to consider is applying separately for the same school or schools in the same neighbourhood, one of you take the apartment provided, one take the allowance and that way you guys get to live together and you're around 400,000krw up a month. Just an idea!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

There's plenty of work for couples, and most if not all teaching jobs come with accomodation. :) Check eslcafe.com, worknplay.co.kr . They are the best two that I know about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Hi, could anyone tell me if a TEFL certificate is a must for teaching enlish in Korea. Also is a degree a must also.
    If the TEFL certificate is required, could anyone recomend the cheapest one to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Berberis wrote: »
    Hi, could anyone tell me if a TEFL certificate is a must for teaching enlish in Korea. Also is a degree a must also.
    If the TEFL certificate is required, could anyone recomend the cheapest one to do.

TEFL - No

Degree - Yes

You can't get a visa without a degree, you can't work without a visa.

• Advertisement

Berberis wrote: »

To be honest, if you want to get into a decent city, it's so competitive, so do one. And yes, you have to have a degree. There may be opportunities for kids fresh out of secondary school, but I've not seen any.

Citydeal (citydeal.ie) regularly have the course I payed hundreds for for 99 euro, so wait and keep visiting the site every day. Sign up for notifications too.

EDIT: I have an interview for a place in Gimpo in the morning, what do people think of there? I've been told it's 20 mins by subway to Seoul, and about as close as I'm going to get without any actual teachers experience. Is it a good place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Andy!! wrote: »
    EDIT: I have an interview for a place in Gimpo in the morning, what do people think of there? I've been told it's 20 mins by subway to Seoul, and about as close as I'm going to get without any actual teachers experience. Is it a good place to live?

You would be close to Seoul and also not too far from either Incheon or Gimpo airport... I honestly don't know what its like to live there. Closer you are to Seoul the better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Soldie wrote: »

i recommend ATC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

i recommend ATC.

seconded....they are a brilliant company!

Hey guys I'm off to Masan next Monday!

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the invaluable info you've given me. It can be kinda hard to find info specific to Irish waygooks online so it's great to have it all here.

If anyone has any queries about Masan/Changwon feel free to ask and i'll try and report back as soon as I figure the place out :D

• Advertisement

Congrats Coxy! How long have you been looking? I've emailed so many recruiters multiple times at this point (they seem to advertise new jobs every day) but I've had only a bit of interest cause I've no actual experience out there. Were you already working there? Do you have a TEFL certification or anything like that? I guess because I'm being picky about location I am getting less interest. Gonna try ATC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Im currently using hands korea
    Had a interview for a job in incheon today for a school called ELI Academy
    Anybody have any experience with hands korea and Eli academy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

For anyone living on Geoje.... Cloneslad, you used to live there?

I am thinking about heading over for the long weekend. Does anyone have any idea of where I can take a bus from? Is Sasang my best bet (I live 20mins from there, in Hadan)?

Places to go/things to do and see?

Can I rent a scooter there? If so, what will I need to do that?

Thanks!

Congrats Coxy! How long have you been looking? I've emailed so many recruiters multiple times at this point (they seem to advertise new jobs every day) but I've had only a bit of interest cause I've no actual experience out there. Were you already working there? Do you have a TEFL certification or anything like that? I guess because I'm being picky about location I am getting less interest. Gonna try ATC today.

Thanks Andy!! Yeah you should deffo try ATC, heard good things about them here. I started applying around the end of Feb/early March so I think recruiters were trying to fill last minute positions for the new school year.
    I had my interview for this position on March 1st (the third one I'd done) and was due to start on May 1st but unfortunately I had a delay on my end...so just goes to show they're always look for people to start.
    I did have a little experience before I applied. I have a CELTA and spent last January teaching English at a kids camp just outside Seoul.
    Where are you looking to teach??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Ok I know this has been touched on already but heres my story:

I have had a few interviews and received a few job offers and am close to signing a contract with a private school in Daegu City.

Having just finished my degree I wont have the copy of it til I graduate in september right? I see on earlier pages it was said that theres nothing you can do til you get the original copy. Is this still true?
    Because that would mean that all these agencies and schools I have been talking to have overlooked this massive problem.

Or is it the case that I can get a letter from my college proving I have completed the degree?

An update on that situation would be great thanks!

After all the guffawing in this thread about noobs posting their original criminal cert etc., my recruiter has asked me to do so. Kinda hesitant but might have to anyway.

I also got quoted 65 quid to send an envelope by fedex to the states, never mind korea, which is complete robbery! Might shop around there...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

After all the guffawing in this thread about noobs posting their original criminal cert etc., my recruiter has asked me to do so. Kinda hesitant but might have to anyway.

I also got quoted 65 quid to send an envelope by fedex to the states, never mind korea, which is complete robbery! Might shop around there...

Oh lord andy!! You need to post your original police cert, it must be appostiled but doesn't need to be notorised!

You do NOT send you original degree! It have to make a copy, get it notorised and get it appostiled !!

Also 65 is about right to send I korea, it might be more now.

cassi wrote: »
    Oh lord andy!! You need to post your original police cert, it must be appostiled but doesn't need to be notorised!

You do NOT send you original degree! It have to make a copy, get it notorised and get it appostiled !!.

Yep that's what I'm doing (??) :pac: Original CR, colour photocopy of Degree.

Wonder how much swiftpost will be. I was told FedEX would be 65 for the United states, god knows how much it will be to Korea. Wonder how many yachts FedEX's CEO owns :pac: I took a position in Gimpo anyway, so looking forward to getting this all done and getting over there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vinnie05

Hi everyone,

I have read through most of this thread but I'm getting conflicting answers to a question I have. I wanted to know whether I need to photocopy my original degree scroll which is in latin or is it ok to photocopy my degree transcripts which contain my final result and my result for each of the years I was in university all in one document?

Can somebody who has recently gone through this process or who has just recently got a job in Korea or has recently moved there, please tell me which they needed; the degree scroll or the transcripts. Any help or advice that you can give is much appreciated.

Regards

Vinnie

Vinnie05 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have read through most of this thread but I'm getting conflicting answers to a question I have. I wanted to know whether I need to photocopy my original degree scroll which is in latin or is it ok to photocopy my degree transcripts which contain my final result and my result for each of the years I was in university all in one document?

Can somebody who has recently gone through this process or who has just recently got a job in Korea or has recently moved there, please tell me which they needed; the degree scroll or the transcripts. Any help or advice that you can give is much appreciated.

Regards

Vinnie

Original degree scroll. I got copies of my transcripts but was never asked for them.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Is photocopying and sending both going to break the bank? Just make sure the photocopy of your degree is the one with the apostilles etc. No need to do that with the transcripts.

I sent all my stuff off today. I went will DHL. They charged me €26 and it will be there in 3 days, registered and got a tracking number and all. Glad I didn't go with FedEx, bunch of rip-off merchants.

I know it can vary but what do the chaps here wear to work? I'm just trying to decide whether to bring one suit or two... are suits worn in work? Or is a jumper with a tie and slacks more of a common thing.

Original degree scroll. I got copies of my transcripts but was never asked for them.

Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Is photocopying and sending both going to break the bank? Just make sure the photocopy of your degree is the one with the apostilles etc. No need to do that with the transcripts.

I sent all my stuff off today. I went will DHL. They charged me €26 and it will be there in 3 days, registered and got a tracking number and all. Glad I didn't go with FedEx, bunch of rip-off merchants.

I know it can vary but what do the chaps here wear to work? I'm just trying to decide whether to bring one suit or two... are suits worn in work? Or is a jumper with a tie and slacks more of a common thing.

Thank you also for your reply. No, but I just wanted to get things right from the outset. I'll also make sure the degree scroll is apostillised.

As for the clothes question, I'm sure that they are others more qualified people than me to comment but I wouldn't think a tie would be necessary for teaching jobs with children. Teaching Business English to adults might be a different equation though.

From what I've heard, a smart shirt and trousers is okay at the outset. After that you can ease up or take your cue from what everybody else is wearing.

In any case, it's no harm to actually bring a suit with you just to have when you go abroad for an extended period.

Sorry, just one final question. My degree scroll is in Latin, is yours the same and if so did you have to or bother to get it translated?

Sorry, just one final question. My degree scroll is in Latin, is yours the same and if so did you have to or bother to get it translated?

Yeh mine was in Latin. No problems.

Yeh mine was in Latin. No problems.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thinking of taking a CELTA in order to be in a better position to teach in Korea. I don't understand whats exactly needed in order to teach out there in terms of documents.

I have a degree which I know is a requirement over there.

Can someone tell me what else I'd need in order to start applying for jobs there once I get celta qualified?

I know I could head over and get a job without a tefl course but for me I'd feel a lot more comfortable having some experience behind me.

Thanks.

Thinking of taking a CELTA in order to be in a better position to teach in Korea. I don't understand whats exactly needed in order to teach out there in terms of documents.

Be aware that it might not make much of a difference. The 'A' in CELTA stands for 'adult'. So if you're planning on teaching kids, recruiters might not regard it as relevant. It's certainly not going to hurt, you are going to get plenty of hands on experience, and it might open up some Uni jobs to you from the outset (though I don't think so) but it is in no way necessary. If you're only going abroad for a bit it might be a little much to spend. Nothing wrong with doing a much cheaper TEFL. The biggest negative I found recruiters liked to focus on personally was my lack of actual working experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

For anyone living on Geoje.... Cloneslad, you used to live there?

I am thinking about heading over for the long weekend. Does anyone have any idea of where I can take a bus from? Is Sasang my best bet (I live 20mins from there, in Hadan)?

Places to go/things to do and see?

Can I rent a scooter there? If so, what will I need to do that?

Thanks!

Hi

I don't keep as much of an eye on this as I used to. Too many silly questions being repeatedly asked by the same person tends to clog up the thread and wreck my head.

On to your question..not sure if this was for the weekend just gone, but if it was sorry, if not.....

Go to seobou bus terminal, grab a bus to gohyeon. The buses go every 30-60 minutes and cost about 5-6,000 won.

I don't know if there's a place to rent the bikes, I never did, as I lived there. Definitely head down to the beaches in hakdong or gujora beaches (gujora is a better sand beach)

There is a good number of foreigners in both Okpo and Gohyeon. You might want to get in touch with them for some advice.

Try the facebook group. it's geoje teachers group. Just search for it and get help. Don't go to geoje teacher group uncensored...that's where you go if you want to get sarcastic remarks and sworn at.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    I don't keep as much of an eye on this as I used to. Too many silly questions being repeatedly asked by the same person tends to clog up the thread and wreck my head.

Nasty piece of work aren't you. As stated, a few people have had issues with the explanations given in this thread. Not one person. I really hope there aren't any waygookin like you in my area. People need support from people that have been through the process before, not some huffy smart-arse rolling his eyes because someone off the plane five minutes doesn't understand the complexities of Korean mobile phone contracts. Everyone else has been very helpful, I should add. Would be lost otherwise. :)

An original is technically 'A copy'. This is where mix-ups with some people are occuring. Saying 'A photocopy' leaves no room for error.
    cloneslad wrote: »
    ...that's where you go if you want to get sarcastic remarks

Ironic. So...you're part of this fb group?

Guys I have a question regarding voltages etc. On modern laptops, chargers seem to be in two disconnecting parts. From laptop to powerblock, then from powerblock to plug. Can this second part be swapped out for a korean version? Basically what I'm asking is, is there any voltage conversion happening in that power block? Or will I be better off going with the old school converter methods. Any advice on this or if you guys use any particular gizmos for this, link 'em here! :) I would really love to not blow up my Mac Air :pac:

Advertisement