Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Test route for Orwell Road, Dublin area ?

• 21-08-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Friend of mine will be doing their motorbike test from this center next week. Anyone any idea of the possible route they may be asked to take. Is it around the nearby Braemore Road / Churchtown area or is it down thru Rathmines ?? ( I know it could be neither but any idea of the routes taken would help ) .

Also, they have a Ducatti 749 and when it's at full lock because of the angle of the rake, it cannot do a full u turn on the average width of a road ( I know that might sound unusual but that's how it's been built !!!!! ) Should they tell the tester about this before heading off or what ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Colten Greasy Cane

His best bet is to do a pretest with an instructor. They will be able to answer these questions. Bear in mind that they normally have 2 or 3 test routes

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

A couple of years ago when I did my test, I asked the tester (after the test) was there any scenario where it was permitted to put your foot on the ground while doing a u-turn (some mates of mine had yet to do their tests and they were concerned about this).

He said that testers take into account that some bike's steering prevent them from making a tight turn (sporty bikes) and that in that case, a steadying foot would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

jackhammer wrote: »
    A couple of years ago when I did my test, I asked the tester (after the test) was there any scenario where it was permitted to put your foot on the ground while doing a u-turn (some mates of mine had yet to do their tests and they were concerned about this).

He said that testers take into account that some bike's steering prevent them from making a tight turn (sporty bikes) and that in that case, a steadying foot would be allowed.
    This is also what I've heard so I wouldn't panic too much. If the OP's friend HAS to put their foot down in order to complete the U-turn safely then they should! Simple as!

Not sure if I'd show up at the test riding a Ducati 749 mind you...

Best of luck anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

Putting your foot down isn't a fail, a three point turn might be in order, depends on the tester, it's more about control. I had to put a foot down on the u-turn and I didn't even get a mark against my sheet for it -- and I passed.

If the bike can't do the u-turn -- hire a smaller bike for the test -- instructors can provide them if you ask, also get your mate to take a pre-test, this will show him the route and also point out where they're going wrong.

Advertisement