Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of getting a moped

• 21-08-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im thinking of getting a moped.

Looking for a pros and cons if possible???

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Good: you'll get to where you're going in the city faster
    Bad: you might get knocked over!

Seriously though, depends on what you want it for? Going to work/college? Streetcred?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was thinking of getting myself a moped/bike over the next few weeks as well, and there is a few things i was wondering. On a provisional liscense, is there any restrictions to what i can drive? I assume i'd have to stick to a fairly low powered bike. Also, who insures bikes in Ireland now? I see that hibernian dont anymore.

Also, on the topic of mopeds, does anyone have a recommendation for what type of bike to go for? And where would be the best place to look online for used bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

go over onto www.biker.ie - tons of threads on starting biking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

Choice of 3 insurers:-
    Aon BikeCare
    Quinn-Direct
    Carole Nash

Mopeds are under 50cc - the M class on your license restricts it.

Anything above that and you'll need an A1 or A license depending on your age and what you want to drive.

Do a search here or on biker.ie and you'll find lots of threads and information on recommended mopeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

get a 125cc (or upwards) mopod or motorcycle.
    50cc are too dangerous in my humble opinion. The problem lies in the fact that they are restricted/limited out of the gates (regardless of licence) to 50kph, on the button. SUre you can fit new exhausts and get an extra 5kph but really it is not suffienct to keep with the flow of traffic.
    The safest place you can be on a bike is infront of a car. Not having cars overtaking you.
    a 125cc should have no probs hitting 80kph so use on a dual carriageway (e.g. parts of the N11) would not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

fergusm76 wrote: »
    Choice of 3 insurers:-
    Aon BikeCare
    Quinn-Direct
    Carole Nash

Did you forget Adelaide Insurance or do they not insure provisional riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

get a 125cc (or upwards) mopod or motorcycle.
    50cc are too dangerous in my humble opinion. The problem lies in the fact that they are restricted/limited out of the gates (regardless of licence) to 50kph, on the button. SUre you can fit new exhausts and get an extra 5kph but really it is not suffienct to keep with the flow of traffic.
    The safest place you can be on a bike is infront of a car. Not having cars overtaking you.
    a 125cc should have no probs hitting 80kph so use on a dual carriageway (e.g. parts of the N11) would not be a problem.
    It depends where the moped is to be used. I'd be happy enough on a 50cc yoke if I lived in Harold's Cross and worked in town or something like that. Speed limit across the vast majority of the city is....50km/h anyway. Agree that a restricted moped wouldn't be either fun or even safe on a higher speed dual carraigeway. They have their place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

stay away from "keeway" mopeds, have mine since January and its been in for repairs every few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

colm_c wrote: »
    Good: you'll get to where you're going in the city faster
    Bad: you might get knocked over!

Seriously though, depends on what you want it for? Going to work/college? Streetcred?

Am looking for something to get me to work quickly!! And dont want to get a car

• Advertisement

Am looking for something to get me to work quickly!! And dont want to get a car

Moped is a good idea here - what kind of distance is your commute?

Retro Vespa's are pretty cool and they're as reliable as they get but they will cost a little more than the other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

A 50cc moped is ideal if you have short distances to travel 20-30 mins to work whereas a 125 would allow for longer distances but would be more expensive to run and insure. Dont get an M license as it ties you down to just driving 50 cc mopeds get an A1 license as it will allow you to drive mopeds and bikes up to 125cc.

Advertisement