Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT - Voluntary Early Test - available from 28/07/2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

so they introduced yearly testing for 10+ yo cars for "safety" reasons, and it looks now that once you pay you can have it tested month after month and get the cert for 23 months? am I reading this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

so they introduced yearly testing for 10+ yo cars for "safety" reasons, and it looks now that once you pay you can have it tested month after month and get the cert for 23 months? am I reading this right?

The cert will only be valid for 12 months from the test date, unless the car is tested within 3 months of the due date in which case the old "early test" rule still applies (12 months plus the extra time from the early test). If you were to test the car on a monthly basis the cert would still only be valid for 12 months from the most recent test date, or 15 months at the absolute most.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

ok got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Kamili wrote: »
    I tried that and they still won't give me a date before October!

When you called them? Good news, your NCT is free then.

http://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html - Point 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

When you called them? Good news, your NCT is free then.

http://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html - Point 4.

I said that to the girl on the phone too and then she wouldn't give me the october date then and put me on the priority list instead. So still no date!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Kamili wrote: »
    I said that to the girl on the phone too and then she wouldn't give me the october date then and put me on the priority list instead. So still no date!

They will always give you a date within 30 days, to my knowledge a free test has never been given. It might be 11.30 PM on a Tuesday night but you'll get a slot :pac:

You can refuse the first two dates offered if they don't suit you also, you're not obliged to take the first one they offer. If you refuse three then you forfeit the 30 day rule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

the wife's 11 Mazda is booked for August 22nd, and has been for the last 6 or 7 weeks, its not due to until January but I said we'd get it done early and have the few months early included in it.

anyhow she got a call yesterday saying did she want to leave it at that date or leave it until next January, as she'd only be getting the 2 years cert either way.

I don't think its very fair for those who booked it ages ago to change it on them as soon as the rules come in, they should leave it the old way for those who'd booked prior to the changes.

she left it at August anyhow as January as for everyone is a tight month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

She should get an NCT for ~ 29 months? That was always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

rocky wrote: »
    She should get an NCT for ~ 29 months? That was always the case.

30 months (if she did first nct 6 months early).

However this in no longer possible.
    She can only do NCT 3 months early to keep the same due date.

patrickc wrote: »
    the wife's 11 Mazda is booked for August 22nd, and has been for the last 6 or 7 weeks, its not due to until January but I said we'd get it done early and have the few months early included in it.

anyhow she got a call yesterday saying did she want to leave it at that date or leave it until next January, as she'd only be getting the 2 years cert either way.

I don't think its very fair for those who booked it ages ago to change it on them as soon as the rules come in, they should leave it the old way for those who'd booked prior to the changes.

she left it at August anyhow as January as for everyone is a tight month.

She can rebook it for anytime which is less than 90 month to due date.
    F.e. if NCT is due 15th January 2015, then if she takes her test on 20th October 2014, she will get a test valid for nearly 27 months (till 15th January 2017).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

thanks thats great to know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

CiniO wrote: »
    F.e. if NCT is due 15th January 2015, then if she takes her test on 20th October 2014, she will get a test valid for nearly 27 months (till 15th January 2017).
    .....days:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Before the changes she could have had a test for 30 months. First time testers are the biggest losers. Someone always loses.

It makes no odds really in fairness. You lose the ability to test the car 6 months in advance, but the cert would be valid until the same date either way. The new system just means you have to wait a few more months before testing it; youre not losing anything.

djimi wrote: »
    It makes no odds really in fairness. You lose the ability to test the car 6 months in advance, but the cert would be valid until the same date either way. The new system just means you have to wait a few more months before testing it; youre not losing anything.

Technically you are right, but I was fairly happy that I could test my car for 30 months last year. No I wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Youre not getting 30 months though. Youre getting the same 24 that you would normally get, plus 6 months when the car does not have to be tested. Now you will get 3 months where the car doesnt have to be tested rather than 6. It works out exactly the same; the only difference now is that somewhat reduces the flexibility you had with regards when you test the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

My nct is up in December but i wanted to get it done next month and get 15 months nct.
    While booking it the person on the phone said that with the new rules, the 3 months early has been abolished and now it will only be 12 months so i will only get nct until September 2015.
    My understanding of this was that this new test was not going to effect getting an extra 3 months nct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kev250 wrote: »
    My nct is up in December but i wanted to get it done next month and get 15 months nct.
    While booking it the person on the phone said that with the new rules, the 3 months early has been abolished and now it will only be 12 months so i will only get nct until September 2015.
    My understanding of this was that this new test was not going to effect getting an extra 3 months nct?

Your NCT is out in December, so if you do a voluntary NCT thats outside of the 3 month window it is then NCT'd for 12 months/24 months from the date of the NCT.

In your case, you would want to NCT it in September to avail of the 12 months plus the balance of the remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭curiosity

kev250 wrote: »

https://ncts.ie/customer_service_enhancements_to_nct_july_2014.html

Vehicles presenting for their first NCT at 4 years will be subject to the same rules as any other aged vehicles. Note this is a change from the rule which allowed vehicles presenting for their first test at 4 years to be presented up to 6 months (180 days) early......Vehicles tested on-time (i.e. within 90 days of the test due date) or late remain unaffected by this change.

Hmm, doesn't tally with what their site states. Surely the whole point of the '90 days early' option is to spread out the glut of cars due a test in January?

Slightly off-topic; just put in my reg to see how many available dates there are for Little Island. Only two time slots available between now and November 9th! May as well ring them, as usual:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Yeah sorted it now, person on the phone got confused and thought i was looking for a date immediately (over the 90 days)
    The online booking is a bit of a disaster unless you are booking at least 3 months in advance it seems, i have been put on the waiting list for September anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Eoinuna

Voluntary early test obviously won't be available for cars which are overdue NCT.

Don't see the obviousness of this!

The new systems is a bit of a joke and money making gig for the NCTS. I went with a car that was overdue the NCT by about 6 months. Car was actually off the road. I thought I'd be getting a cert for a year but only got till the anniversary date. If I turned around again and went straight back for another test I'd get it for 12 months. Rationalise that one someone, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eoinuna wrote: »
    Don't see the obviousness of this!

The new systems is a bit of a joke and money making gig for the NCTS. I went with a car that was overdue the NCT by about 6 months. Car was actually off the road. I thought I'd be getting a cert for a year but only got till the anniversary date. If I turned around again and went straight back for another test I'd get it for 12 months. Rationalise that one someone, please.

I'd query that with them. I brought my fathers car (02) last Wednesday 29/10/2014 which was expired since 22/1/2013. It passed and was given a cert until 22/01/2016, which is correct as it was within 90 days of its birthday. Had it been tested two weeks ago(outside the 90 day period) I would have expected a cert for the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

I have a car booked in for the NCT this sat (nov 8th), is it too late to rearrange this test to another date?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

tanko wrote: »
    I have a car booked in for the NCT this sat (nov 8th), is it too late to rearrange this test to another date?

Pretty sure it is 5 days, whether today counts as 5 days or not I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Pretty sure it is 5 days, whether today counts as 5 days or not I'm not sure.

I think I'm too late to change it, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

tanko wrote: »
    I think I'm too late to change it, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Tomorrow it will definitely be too late.
    There is a chance that today you can still do it, so try online. You'll find out straight away if you can do it or not.

Advertisement