Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for Irish on Duolingo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Irish wins in the survey! Duolingo said they will add Irish in the next few weeks!

Link to results.

A chairde,

Duolingo are now looking for Irish speakers to help build the course. Sign up and spread the news.

http://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/ga/en/status

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Irish wins in the survey! Duolingo said they will add Irish in the next few weeks!

Link to results.

This is great news, am using the app for German and its great. Really looking forward to using it for Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

This sounds great for learners but I can't see too many course contributors with fluent Irish joining up to be honest. Some people will be happy to volunteer of course but I don't envision them getting nearly enough people. I see from Duolingo's vacancies page that they are hiring for engineers, etc. but there is no mention of course contributors so I have to presume for now that it's unpaid.
    Google pays people to do this type of work so it's hard to see why Duolingo don't. I assume it's a commercial venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/09/17/duolingo-gets-15-million-to-translate-the-worlds-text-through-online-learning/
    “We started thinking how can we get millions of people to translate text for free?” says von Ahn, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University, who has received a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship. “The way we thought about doing it was we motivate them for free by teaching them language at the same time that they translate text. It kills two birds with one stone.”

http://hackingportuguese.com/2013/05/review-duolingo/
    Jared Romey says:
    May 14, 2013 at 2:20 am
    I went through the full Spanish version, completing all the levels (I’m fluent in Spanish) to evaluate the software, and also went through several levels of the German version.

My experience with Duolingo did not leave me impressed. I don’t really see how someone would use this to learn a language. It’s possible that it may be used for practice, but not for anyone who would want to start from scratch.

I also agree that there are enough errors that it becomes cumbersome.

You mentioned that Rosetta Stone is tyrannic for charging $500 for the software. To me, it is worse when a program asks you to do the work for free (Duolingo’s internet translations) yet offers almost nothing in exchange.

There are much better free language learning resources online than Duolingo. They would need to make some major changes to make it worth the time.

• Advertisement

Beidh an cúrsa ar fáil go luath! Course will be available soon!

Cliceáil ar "Notify me when ready"

https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish-Online

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looks good. I only wish I had an audio course like Michel Thomas for this to go in tandem with.

briany wrote: »
    Looks good. I only wish I had an audio course like Michel Thomas for this to go in tandem with.

Try Learn Irish with Liam Ó Maonlaí

Thanks, I've listened to that before. It's a good audio phrase book, but it doesn't take time to actually explain what's going on grammar-wise. Maybe it's just me, but if I don't understand the hows and whys of the language, true learning can't really happen.

' 99% done '

I've been using a computer for some few years now. That's not a number/word combination that inspires hope, paradoxically. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement