Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

BostonB wrote: »
    Why are you harping on about Nokia. Its got nothing to do with Nokia.

Ah...Its their name on the phone.
    How can it be nothing to do with them.
    Or, are you saying that Nokia are just a Microsoft subsidiary.
    Cos I'm pretty sure that'll be news to them.

And I'm not one to knock Nokia for no good reason.
    Every phone I've ever owned, bar one(going back nearly 20 years) was Nokia and I recommend my now outdated N8 to all and sundry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All your old phones had a nokia OS.

These have a Microsoft OS and Microsoft dictate the minimum hardware spec and the OS features. Its out of Nokia's control.

Does that not seem ridiculous to anyone else. I would have thought that Nokia would've been in a position to tell Microsoft what features they WANT on THEIR phone. Its not like Microsoft are a dominant player in the mobile phone market. Its starting to feel that its only a matter of time before Microsoft swallow Nokia whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Does that not seem ridiculous to anyone else. I would have thought that Nokia would've been in a position to tell Microsoft what features they WANT on THEIR phone. Its not like Microsoft are a dominant player in the mobile phone market. Its starting to feel that its only a matter of time before Microsoft swallow Nokia whole.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/09/11/bluetooth-file-transfer-confirmed-for-lumia-as-well-as-ringtone-maker-in-more-in-wp7-8/

You're kinda 2yrs late to the party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia#Alliance_with_Microsoft

Nokia spent to long stagnating. The world changed and passed it out. However its encouraging that Microsoft seems to come to its senses and giving people the features they want with the later versions of Windows Phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With Windows Phone 7 they went down the Apple route of having a completely walled garden. The file system didn't exist any more for most intents and purposes. Everything was about the apps and their data. In that context bluetooth file transfer didn't make any sense, certainly not without some tricky work to make it part of the app infrastructure.

And besides, smart phones open up many more ways of getting files onto phones (sync with PC, the cloud, email, web browser etc). Bluetooth file transfer is outdated and awkward so it got left on the shelf, the price of progress being leaving the past behind.

Luckily Windows Phone 8 opens up the file system again somewhat, so bluetooth file transfer makes sense again.

Though while I'm delighted to have file system access again, I really couldn't care less about bluetooth file transfer.

I gave up on bluetooth, its so slow. WiFi N to dropbox and similar, then let everything else sync with it.

or simply email it.

It was a big improvement over IrDA, but yeah, it's pretty terrible compared to the modern options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

adox wrote: »
    Anyone know when there will be a Spotify app released?

What, there is no Spotify app for the Lumia 800? I'm getting mine tomorrow and I already have a month of Spotify for my phone. :mad:

There is a spotify app, it just hasn't been released for Ireland yet because spotify only became available here recently. I'd guess it'll arrive soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any must have apps for this phone folks?? Only got one recently and new to the whole apps world in general

Just goes to show. Whinging works:p
    Bluetooth mightn't be as fast or as sexy as newer file sharing formats, but for the less tech inclined, its a handy, simple way of swapping photos and music.
    I'm just glad the mighty have listened to the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any must have apps for this phone folks?? Only got one recently and new to the whole apps world in general

Depends on what you like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

eh i dunno wrote: »

Metrotube
    IMDB
    Endonondo (if you run)
    Flashlight XT
    Nokia Drive
    Netflix
    Goal.com
    Photosynth
    Photofunia
    RTE News Now
    TuneIn Radio
    TV Guide+
    Weave
    ilomilo (best game ever)
    Jet Car Stunts
    iBlast moki
    Lode Runner Classic (hours of old skool fin)

That should keep you busy for now

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Addon:
    Microsoft apps: Skydrive, Stocks, youtube, translator and World Clock
    Nokia: Contacts Share
    Adobe reader
    Tripadvisor

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Have any of you found a decent app with a countdown timer that actually works?

Any of the ones I've found so far are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Cerbera wrote: »
    Have any of you found a decent app with a countdown timer that actually works?

Any of the ones I've found so far are rubbish.

I use "53 days to go", does what I'd expect it to do. You can dates to your home screen.

35 days left till Christmas :)

10 days left till I get my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

To add to the list of good games, I'm completely addicted to Wordament since getting the phone the other day!

Is there a Windows Mobile app recommendation thread or do we just post against this thread?

Some other comments/questions:
    1) I moved from an N8 and my maps favourites copied to Nokia Maps on the new phone but aren't appearing on Nokia Drive. Anyone else come across this and know a fix?

2) Is there a Swype App? I read the name of one a few pages back but it wasn't on marketplace when I looked there.

3) Is there any shortcut to get to a task manager if a few things are running?

4) Can anyone recommend a cheap car holder? My universal one won't stretch wide enough! Needs to be one that leaves the unlock button free though!

5) I have to say the operating system is FANTASTIC after being on Symbian for years! The N8 did the essentials but this is just so much more fluid.

6) Any way of getting quick buttons on the homescreen that can switch off/on Bluetooth/Wifi/GPS/Data? It always seems to be a tile that takes you to a swtich.

Wordament is a great free game. Shuffle Party is another good free one. And Mirrors Edge is free now too and is a fantastic mobile game.

g0g wrote: »
    To add to the list of good games, I'm completely addicted to Wordament since getting the phone the other day!

Is there a Windows Mobile app recommendation thread or do we just post against this thread?

Some other comments/questions:
    1) I moved from an N8 and my maps favourites copied to Nokia Maps on the new phone but aren't appearing on Nokia Drive. Anyone else come across this and know a fix?

2) Is there a Swype App? I read the name of one a few pages back but it wasn't on marketplace when I looked there.

3) Is there any shortcut to get to a task manager if a few things are running?

4) Can anyone recommend a cheap car holder? My universal one won't stretch wide enough! Needs to be one that leaves the unlock button free though!

5) I have to say the operating system is FANTASTIC after being on Symbian for years! The N8 did the essentials but this is just so much more fluid.

6) Any way of getting quick buttons on the homescreen that can switch off/on Bluetooth/Wifi/GPS/Data? It always seems to be a tile that takes you to a swtich.

There was a thread for all the good apps, but it sort of died. After a couple of weeks.

There is no swype apply. You can't replace the original keyboar.

Don't need to kill apps. System should handle everything itself.

I have a cheap 10 euro one from car phone warehouse. It has a short arm but it rotates around its axis so handy for sat navigation and normal use, bit tricky with the buttons but manageable.

You can get an app called connectivity shortcuts. It allows you to pin Wifi BT data live tiles to the home screen for quick access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Got one of these today but I'm having some problems. o2 sent me a new micro-sim with the phone and I have put it in, but it is saying 'Invalid Sim' and 'No Service'. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Got one of these today but I'm having some problems. o2 sent me a new micro-sim with the phone and I have put it in, but it is saying 'Invalid Sim' and 'No Service'. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

You have to ring them and activate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You have to ring them and activate it?

Been a while since I had to set up a new phone :o.

Got sorted on their live chat, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Once a week?? I find out people haven't been receiving my texts.

The phone needs switching off/on and problem is resolved til next time.

PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dub XV wrote: »
    Once a week?? I find out people haven't been receiving my texts.

The phone needs switching on/off and problem is resolved til next time.

PITA

That happened me for the first time last week. Not since though.

Also, my battery life has gone through the floor lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Have you the very latest phone software update installed? Use Zune thought a pc connected via USB to update if not that fixes most issues. Do not assume because its new its software is current I could have been sitting in a warehouse for months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

g0g wrote: »
    6) Any way of getting quick buttons on the homescreen that can switch off/on Bluetooth/Wifi/GPS/Data?

No.
    You can get an app... ... ...allows you to pin Wifi BT data live tiles to the home screen for quick access

Editing and emphasis added above by me.

Next best thing unfortunately. Only provides a shortcut link :(.

There are loads of apps for it. My favourite is called Toggle, but Connectivity Shortcuts is one of the better ones for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cyclelops

I am thinking of getting one of these phones for mainly general web surfing i.e using the wi-fi, playing mp3 files on the go replacing my ipod and also to replace a 7 year old mobile i have at present. Would this phone be receommend as a good mid range smart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

cyclelops wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting one of these phones for mainly general web surfing i.e using the wi-fi, playing mp3 files on the go replacing my ipod and also to replace a 7 year old mobile i have at present. Would this phone be receommend as a good mid range smart phone

Hmm, some will recommend it. Some will not.

I suggest flicking through some of this thread to see what people are saying. Pretty much everything you could possibly talk about, is talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

cyclelops wrote: »
    defe, especially as the price was recently reduced to €170

Advertisement