Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rparker

Not very impressed by it sorry.... sounds too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

rparker wrote: »
    Not very impressed by it sorry.... sounds too good to be true

What doesn't impress you exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

And what exactly sounds too good to be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

What doesn't impress you exactly?
    Satanta wrote: »
    And what exactly sounds too good to be true?

Lets get him ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This might sound silly but why are the exercises numbered 1. 2. 3. 4a4b ,5 etc ? Are you supposed to choose one ? seems unlike as its always Squat or Deadlift for ones you have options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Any exercises labeled 4a 4b are to be preformed as a superset

For example on Week 1 Session 1:

3a. Seated Overhand Grip Cable Rows: 4x15
    3b. Cable Triceps Pushdowns (straight bar): 4x15

You perform 15 seated rows immediately followed by 15 tricep pushdowns. Repeat 4 times.

also... for the lower body day you select either squat or deadlift for the program. So if you do squat on week 1 you do it for the 12 weeks and dont do deadlift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Finished.

My bench went from 90 to 95
    Squat from 95 to 100
    Pull ups from 12 to 13
    And dead lift (which I wasn't doing) 140 to 155

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mobile w

nilster wrote: »
    MW, I'm glad you're running the program again. I hope you keep us informed, as I haven't seen anyone run it more than once. I myself am expecting to run it again next year so I'd love to see feedback from someone else that's been through it more than once.

thought id give quick update now that i finally finished it the second time around. continued to see strength gains during my second running of the programme.
    bench went from struggling to get 1r @100kg to a clean 110kg 1r
    squat from 100kg to 115kg
    pushups went from 53 uninterrupted to 60
    havent tested by pullups/deadlift yet but will be this weekend
    was really happy with the results. i think one of the major things behind my increases was my diet though. the first time i ran the programme i was watching what i was eating and kept my weight down but this time around i most definitely didnt. put on a bit over half a stone during the period (not the good kind) which definitely contributed.

i would recommend the programme to someone like me who needs structure when working out. i really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Fair play to ya for sticking to it and doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm in the middle of week 9 now, I think this is the longest I have stuck to a program ever.

It's enjoyable and I am noticing gains already. When I finish week 12 I think I will run through it again, and maybe again after that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

Hey,

I'm thinking about starting this in a few weeks when my current program ends. I have a few questions though.....
    Could I do db bench for the max effort exercise on day 2 or does it have to be barbell?
    When it says chin ups(total reps)= Chin-up max + 50% is that do your max in one set and then in the second set do half of that? Or is it do your max and a half in reps as quick as you can? I presume it's hands facing you chins, yes?
    What time do you take between each exercise?

Cheers

Never mind everything except the db bb question. I found the FAQ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Just started this program yesterday,I am very excited at it I must confess.
    Got the PDF which is all I need and improvising one or two exercises as I have a home gym,it's well equipped just without the odd thing on this program.
    Will check back in 6 weeks as I am determined to see this through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

MW, thanks for the update on your second time through the program. Since I went through it, I've done 531, and am doing a Paul Carter program now, but am still interested in coming back to this in mid-to-late summer. Again, my main reason for leaving it was that I love to Deadlift, but my Squat always needs work, and this program doesn't allow for both of those things, so I have to stop pulling to do this. At this point, I suspect I would run it with paused incline bench (since I also missed military pressing when I ran this) and paused squats.

Hank, any particular reason to use DB's instead of a barbell for the bench? There's a lot of DB benching already built into this program, and most folks can't move as much weight with DB's as they do with a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

started this program on sat

loving the speed of the workouts i had the day1 week1 completed in 52 min

completed day2 lower body last nite it was tough the 1 mile run after squats was a killer

posted a shocking time 8 min 30 sec on the button :mad:

Hank, any particular reason to use DB's instead of a barbell for the bench? There's a lot of DB benching already built into this program, and most folks can't move as much weight with DB's as they do with a bar.

A few....first of all there's only 3 barbells in my gym so sometimes I have to wait a bit to get on. This waiting around would be doubled because of the need to use the barbell for the complex at the end. I thought a lot of the premise behind the program was to doing it sharp and quick? Also, my left arm is weaker than my right and I find benching the dbs helps lessen this. Thoughts?

Cheers

Hank, I think with all the DB work that's already in the program, your inbalance will get addressed.

If you're committed to this gym, I think you're just going to have to wait for a barbell for your main bench variation.

However, for the complexes, I think you could probably get away with using two DB's to do the movements in the BB complexes.

Hank, I think with all the DB work that's already in the program, your inbalance will get addressed.

If you're committed to this gym, I think you're just going to have to wait for a barbell for your main bench variation.

However, for the complexes, I think you could probably get away with using two DB's to do the movements in the BB complexes.

Will it not nullify the intended effects of the workout if I spend longer between exercises than the recommended few minutes?
    I would much rather do the complex with the barbell than dbs as it takes a lot of getting used to to do some of those exercises with dbs rather than the barbell.

Cheers.

Sorry, Hank, I must have been confused. I thought you were saying that the Barbell's are in high demand and you didn't want to have to wait around to use them for both the bench and the complexes. In that case, I was advising waiting around for your turn on the barbell bench as it is the focus of the day, and finding some other way to get in the work of the complexes, i.e. with dumbells.

Sorry, Hank, I must have been confused. I thought you were saying that the Barbell's are in high demand and you didn't want to have to wait around to use them for both the bench and the complexes. In that case, I was advising waiting around for your turn on the barbell bench as it is the focus of the day, and finding some other way to get in the work of the complexes, i.e. with dumbells.

No you were right. I was just enquiring if the waiting around would nullify some of the intended effects of the workout?

• Advertisement

Since Bench will usually be your first lift of the day, I think you should be fine. Also, if you're worried about losing time with work-ins, for what it's worth,when I ran this I took 2-5 minute rests between top sets of the main lift on the first Upper Body day, and Lower Body day. Then 45-90 second rests for all the assistance stuff unless otherwise indicated. So if you have to share your bench time with the whole gym, just think of it as recuperation time to make sure you can give it your all on your top set. Make sense?

Since Bench will usually be your first lift of the day, I think you should be fine. Also, if you're worried about losing time with work-ins, for what it's worth,when I ran this I took 2-5 minute rests between top sets of the main lift on the first Upper Body day, and Lower Body day. Then 45-90 second rests for all the assistance stuff unless otherwise indicated. So if you have to share your bench time with the whole gym, just think of it as recuperation time to make sure you can give it your all on your top set. Make sense?

Perfect. Cheers lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Started Day 1 again - in bits today !

Forgot how good a workout it is , finishers are evil

So I finished week 1 of this program and I found it very enjoyable. Workout 1 is definitely the hardest. The barbell complex is a killer. I had some very shaky pushes in the 2nd set. I have a few queries though.....
    Is it acceptable to do the 45 Degree Back Raises on a gym ball because my gym doesn't have the required incline bench? I find them far tougher and so I can't lift as much weight doing them. My hammys are wrecked after them.
    My max chin ups was 16 so for the workout I did 4 sets of 6 reps no bother especially with the 3-5mins break. Should I have done 3x8 or does it make much of a difference?
    My 100 push ups was disgraceful. I tried to do 25x4 with 45s break but I faile on the 3rd set and couldn't recover. Anybody got any other tips?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

16 chin ups! Good work, do you weigh five stone :-)

Rossin wrote: »
    16 chin ups! Good work, do you weigh five stone :-)

5 plus around 8.75.

Hank, if you can do 16 chins, then what the program calls for on Day 3 of Week 1 is for you to do Max plus 50%, so a set of 16 followed by a set of 8.

For the back raises, whatever way you can find is fine. My gym doesn't have a 45-degree either, so I used the GHR.

Keep doing push-ups. That's the only thing I've found to improve them.

Hank, if you can do 16 chins, then what the program calls for on Day 3 of Week 1 is for you to do Max plus 50%, so a set of 16 followed by a set of 8.

For the back raises, whatever way you can find is fine. My gym doesn't have a 45-degree either, so I used the GHR.

Keep doing push-ups. That's the only thing I've found to improve them.

This is what I read in the FAQ
    "Let’s say that you can perform 12 max chin-ups. 50% of 12 is 6. So you would add your chin-up max (12) + 6. This means that you are required to perform 18 total chins. It doesn’t matter what set/rep scheme you decide to use; you just need to complete 18 reps before moving onto the next exercise.
    We don’t recommend going to failure on your first set because this tends to fry you out. In the above example, a guy that needs To complete 18 total reps may do this: 1st set = 9 reps, 2nd set = 4 reps, 3rd set = 3 reps, 4th set = 2 reps. Also, there are no required rest periods for the chin-ups on this program. Rest as long or as little as you need to complete all your reps!"

So I decided that 4x6 was the best way around it as I didn't want to go to failure on any of the sets.

Nice one, Hank. I probably ignored that because back when I started the program I could only do a handful of chins and it didn't make sense to spread them out.

• Advertisement

Nice one, Hank. I probably ignored that because back when I started the program I could only do a handful of chins and it didn't make sense to spread them out.

No worries. So would you recommend staying with the 4x6 or going to 3x8 or does it make much of a difference for increasing your max?

Cheers

Advertisement