Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does time exist?

• 21-11-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Personally I believe that time does not exist, that it is merely a figment of the imagination of mankind, and our subsequent belief that it is an external force acting in the universe, makes it, by definition, an illusion.

I know for people in this forum, that this is probably not a radically new idea, however, trying to discuss it with people who are more scientifically trained than I, leads to the usual dismissal of the notion as "crackpottery".

As the notion of time has a very real impact on how mankind behaves, and with the impact that the scineces have on the collective psyche, I personally believe that such a question be given serious consideration, as the impact that it has on the collective worldview is very relevant, important and fundamental to the question of existence.

I would be interested in hearing anyone elses views on whether time exists in reality or is merely the invention of mankind, based on a misperception of naturally occuring phenomena.

I ultimately see time as a measurement system, as opposed to a force than can be measured. It is often pointed out to me, that time dilation is evidence that the contemporary conceptualisation of time is correct, as per the theory of General Relativity. The issue I have with this however, is that there is a self-contained notion of time that amounts to circular reasoning.

Ultimately it is assumed that time exists, and that clocks measure time. However, with regard to the clocks, I believe it is erroneous to suggest that they measure an external entity/force called time.

With regard to the atomic clock, what is measured is the microwave emissions of changing electrons, while the older clocks that give rise to the 24hr clock were the measure of the degree of the earths rotation. To then make the jump to say that these things measure anything other than what was stated i.e. emissions of changing electrons, or the degree of the rotation of the earth, namely that they measure the force that is time, is a non sequitor, it is illogical.

How I see it, and again this is probably nothing fundamentally new, is that when time is given as a measurement, what is actually being measured is the change that occurs in an object relative to the number of microwave emissions of a changing electron in an atom, or relative to the degrees of rotation of the earth, or relative to some other [almost] constant phenomenon.

The practical implication of this, is that instead of viewing time as a force of nature, it is merely viewed as a measurement system, akin to the metric system, and is afforded no special properties with regard to the "spacetime continuum".

What adds perhaps, further credence to this is outlined in the following articles Article #1 and Article #2.

These refer to a solution to the equations for General Relativity, where time seems to "disappear". This is often referred to "as the problem of time" in Physics, and as far as I can gather is represented as Diffeomorphism Symmetry.

For those that are mathematically minded, there is an online lecture given by Lee Smolin. The first lecture is an introduction to "the problem of time" and doesn't really require much mathematical training. The second would require much better mathematical training in order to understand. That is where I left it, as my maths is only leaving cert level (and first year college).

Any ideas on the issue are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I am in agreement with you here. Many philosophers over the years have argued that time is subjective and has no real existence.
    Time ( & space ) is just our way of viewing the world and is not absolute but relative.

Aristotle (Physics.4.iv.) thought that time was just the way we subjectively measure change.

Indeed, this view was taken by St. Augustine (~ 390 AD) when he said we cannot truly say that time is, because it tends not to be. (Book 11)
    http://www.btinternet.com/~glynhughes/squashed/augustine.htm

Aquinas argues that causation may take place outside of time and casts doubt on the whole notion of creation (big bang?) taking place in time.
    Aquinas also states that time 'does not have perfect existence outside the soul'. (i.e. Time only exists in the mind).

Kant also argues that both space and time are 'pure forms of intuition' i.e. They are just ways of seeing the world and both space and time in themselves are nothing.
    http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/DB047SECT5

Einstein also cast doubt on our Newtonian way of viewing time and argues that time is relative. (Does this mean that time exists at all outside of the subjective and relative view of the observer? )

mangaroosh wrote: »

....Ultimately it is assumed that time exists, and that clocks measure time. However, with regard to the clocks, I believe it is erroneous to suggest that they measure an external entity/force called time........

Yes, you are correct here. A clock does not measure time but counts the swings of a pendlum or the vibration of a electronic crystal etc. and time is always measured or compared 'relative' to this. Similarly, the calender and larger quantities of time are 'relative' to the perceived movements of the sun and moon 'relative' to the earth.

IMO, you cannot attribute any reality to time but you can to the change that takes place.

Also, I am in agreement with Augustine that the past and future only exist in the mind (as memories or anticipations) and only the 'now' or present moment exists. Hence time travel will never be possible. (imo)

Besides memory, what does exist is 'traces' of the past but these are really only the effects of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

cheers Joe, I was starting to think that I was going mad. I knew it wasn't an entirely new concept, and I was introduced to it more coherently through spiritual literature.

Have you any idea whether or not such a paradigm shift is being effected within the framework of contemporary science? Most people I discuss it with, within a scientific context dismiss it almost immediately, and I was wondering where it stands as an idea, in that regard.

cheers for the links too

mangaroosh wrote: »
    cheers Joe, I was starting to think that I was going mad. I knew it wasn't an entirely new concept, and I was introduced to it more coherently through spiritual literature.

Have you any idea whether or not such a paradigm shift is being effected within the framework of contemporary science? Most people I discuss it with, within a scientific context dismiss it almost immediately, and I was wondering where it stands as an idea, in that regard.

cheers for the links too

My interest in 'time' is from the philosophical viewpoint. This position is similar in many ways to 'presentism' the theory that only present things exist, and future and past things are unreal.
    The word 'presentism' also has other meanings (e.g Judging the past by todays standards) so dont confuse.

In terms of philosophy, it can tie in with Kants idealism and to some extent with much of post modern thinking in terms of anti-realism.
    My impression is that science dislikes the anti-realism and sceptism of idealism and post-modern and likes to think in terms of realism and hence probably likes attributing 'reality' to abstract concepts like time. In this respect, perhaps science is like religion in having faith in entities that they cant prove to exist but just fits into their way of thinking and non belief of time is an act of scientific heresy so to speak.
    This last point (that space and time and casuality can not be proved to exist but yet are necessary concepts for our understanding of the world) is often taken up by transcendentalist philosophers and eastern religions to suggest that transcendental beliefs (in gods etc) are not as unreasonable as they seem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_idealism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-realism

Plenty of stuff on the net under this heading in both science and philosophy.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=presentism+time&hl=en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct here. A clock does not measure time but counts the swings of a pendlum or the vibration of a electronic crystal etc. and time is always measured or compared 'relative' to this. Similarly, the calender and larger quantities of time are 'relative' to the perceived movements of the sun and moon 'relative' to the earth.

IMO, you cannot attribute any reality to time but you can to the change that takes place.

Also, I am in agreement with Augustine that the past and future only exist in the mind (as memories or anticipations) and only the 'now' or present moment exists. Hence time travel will never be possible. (imo)

Besides memory, what does exist is 'traces' of the past but these are really only the effects of change.

Very interesting thread :D
    I wonder how corrupting an influence the (conventional flawed?) view of time is on important thinking in physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Read "The End of Time" by Julian Barbour.

Check out this video:

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Myerz

Time does exist, it's 17.27.

/Close thread

tech77 wrote: »
    I wonder how corrupting an influence the (conventional flawed?) view of time is on important thinking in physics.

I think we can use science to take a dogmatic view of the world but to this is a mistake. I think many scientists are probably fallibilists and know the limit of their knowledge.(I much prefer this view. ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallibilism
    davej wrote: »

Check out this video:

davej

An important sentence in the above video (at 13 minutes) is his statement that 'Physics always have to have very simple models to try to explain the world.'.
    This sentence sums up a lot (imo). Man originally used myths and gods to explain the world, now he has moved on to mathematical models. I think it's important to realise that our explanations of the world are only models: they are useful and give us some idea of the working of the world but they are not the truth in the absolute sense or the final say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

Check out this video:

davej

Thanks for the link, enjoyed the video. I tried reading that book a few months ago but found it fairly tough going. Should probably have another crack at it, especially now that Ive seen that video. Often find it really hard to read physics books as they tend to put things in visual terms where I must not be able to grasp them in the ways they seem to expect me to be able to. Still not sure I really get what was going on with his visual model in the video.

I mean, how does it square with notions of a cyclical nature of the universe, where it expands to a certain extent (along his axes) but then implodes and starts with a new big bang? (and where does that idea actually come from? its a relatively common notion nowadays isnt it?). And what about the idea that the big bang happened when two universes banged against eachother (which I think I came across in this http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml which should be available from torrent sites)?

And also, doesnt the fact that he has represented all the possible 'nows' that can ever exist, in terms of space already pregiven (the axes), completely go against the whole idea of time only emerging as a perceived difference between two self contained instants, or 'nows'? If they truly are self contained then in what sense do they bear any relationship to his 'alpha' point, or the big bang? Perhaps "self contained" doesnt mean that they are entirely free from causation (if such a concept even makes sense any more), but rather that there is nothing inherent in their structure which necessitates a notion of change of this structure, they are self contained in the sense of unchanging.

I dunno, I feel confused 'now' :o

Finally, is he essentially fleshing out, in physical terms as opposed to those relating to our perceptual processes, what Kant was saying ages ago? And how does his notion of time relate to Buddhism? I remember a really interesting class on Nietzsche where we were talking about some Buddhist notion of causation whereby each individual instant comes into existence in precisely this self contained manner, yet at the same time is 'caused' by everything in existence, somewhat like Barbour's conception of quantum physics.

Sorry for rambling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Time is a measurement of change, and change is self-evidently true. It exists in this sense, and also in the sense that a great many phenomena depend on time to be mathematically solved. However, it is impossible to go "back" in time, as the past doesn't exist except in our minds, so in this sense it doesn't exist.

Light is both a wave and a particle...maybe time can be considered to have some duality?

• Advertisement

Time is a measurement of change, and change is self-evidently true

Not too sure about that. In what way is it self-evident? Because it manifests itself through our perceptual processes as such? Surely it was self-evident that the earth was stationary before Galileo and co, as Barbour says.

Why couldnt a conception of the duration of a process (me moving my hand) be based on the idea that each individual state of the world (each individuated event that happens in the process, each time an electron moves ever so slightly etc) comes into existence completely independently of anything else be equally valid?

Time is a measurement of change, and change is self-evidently true. It exists in this sense, and also in the sense that a great many phenomena depend on time to be mathematically solved. However, it is impossible to go "back" in time, as the past doesn't exist except in our minds, so in this sense it doesn't exist.

Light is both a wave and a particle...maybe time can be considered to have some duality?

The word phenomena means 'to appear' or anything that can be perceived as an occurrence or fact by the senses.

Now you are right (imo) if you mean that things 'appear' to us humans ( & probably animals) in time. However, in terms of dualism, is time objective (out there in the world) or subjective (in our minds)?

According to Kant, time is not objective or 'a thing in themselves' but is a 'forms of human intuition, and can only be proved valid for things as they appear to us and not for things as they are in themselves'. (i.e. time is subjective).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

First visit to the philosphy forum. Interesting concepts here. I have not thought about this before (maybe because before doesn't exist!) but how can we rationalise our actions or the universe without time. If I catch a ball, my brain makes calculations based on speed, trajectory, distance etc. and the end result is a ball in the hand. I see that we are using time in this case in the same way as we use distance (a measuring tool to predict where the ball will be at certain points) but I have difficulty in relating that to past memories. If I break a cup, and it is lying on the floor, there are some things that to me are self evident. At some point the cup was complete because I remember it as complete and I see other cups that are still complete. I have a memory of the cup falling to the floor and breaking. I have evidence on the floor that such an event occured.
    Without time as something more than a measuring tool we have multiple states for everything. The ball is in my hand or flying through the air. The cup is on the table or on the floor broken.

Without time is anything real?
    Am I talking rubbish?

Panrich wrote: »
    First visit to the philosphy forum. Interesting concepts here. I have not thought about this before (maybe because before doesn't exist!) but how can we rationalise our actions or the universe without time. If I catch a ball, my brain makes calculations based on speed, trajectory, distance etc. and the end result is a ball in the hand. I see that we are using time in this case in the same way as we use distance (a measuring tool to predict where the ball will be at certain points) but I have difficulty in relating that to past memories. If I break a cup, and it is lying on the floor, there are some things that to me are self evident. At some point the cup was complete because I remember it as complete and I see other cups that are still complete. I have a memory of the cup falling to the floor and breaking. I have evidence on the floor that such an event occured.
    Without time as something more than a measuring tool we have multiple states for everything. The ball is in my hand or flying through the air. The cup is on the table or on the floor broken.

Without time is anything real?
    Am I talking rubbish?

First of all, measurements are a human construct or concept or idea. If I have a 5 meter length of rope and decide to measure it, I can get different values for its length. The rope may be 5 meters long or 16 foot. I can even step it out using the measurements of my own body (pace or step) and say it is 6 paces long. The point I am making here is, that it's only the rope that has any reality as such. What exists is a length of rope. The '5 meters' is just a value or description that humans put on the rope and is relative. (i.e. different cultures use different measurements).

Now using this argument, we could say that 'time' is just a measure of change. It's the change that's real (like the rope).
    Now in many ways this is very intuitive as regards time. Time does appear to be subjective. Five minutes of pain in a dentist chair can feel like a very long time. Where does time go when you fall into a deep sleep? Time seems to disappear.

Imagine that you fell into a deep coma and did not wake until next June. What real events would you notice when you awake? What you would notice would be the 'change' that had taken place while you were asleep. The summer would be in, the green leaves would be on the trees, a baby child that you know would now be older and perhaps able to walk or talk. It is these changes that you could say are real.

Using this model then, all that exists is the present, the now. The past only exist for you because you have a memory of the past or a trace of the past (e.g your broken cup) still existing in the present. The man in a coma or who loses his memory loses some of his past.

The argument here then ( if you accept it) is that time exists only in the memory and in the imagination: its something very important, an idea or pre-conception that we use to make sense of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ah! I see. Time exists as a measuring stick for change but it is not an integral part of the universe as such.

In this case then we need to understand what is the driver of change. Without some 'force' behind change there would be nothing to measure.

Panrich wrote: »
    Ah! I see. Time exists as a measuring stick for change but it is not an integral part of the universe as such.

In this case then we need to understand what is the driver of change. Without some 'force' behind change there would be nothing to measure.

There is in idea in philosophy that 'All is Change' i.e. There is no substance or anything behind change. What we call 'matter' and 'energy' are just forms of change....

But there are those that may reasonably argue that there must be some 'force' or 'driver' of this change........a cause so to speak......and because this is the cause of change, this 'cause' in itself is not part of the change.....its beyond change......beyond time..........eternal........a first cause...........

What could this driver be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Fascinating thread.I always wondered about time and change.

tech77 wrote: »

The use of time in physics has very real implications, not only on the use of resources to fund various projects, but the overriding influence it has on the human psyche.

One notion that I would personally question, and indeed one I wish to further explore, is how the treatment of time has lead to the idea that we live in an expanding universe.

Check out this video:

davej

must check out that book alright. I've heard some criticism about it on another forum, but will check it out.

Interesting vid also, I would question some of the points raised, but interesting nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Joycey wrote: »
    Why couldnt a conception of the duration of a process (me moving my hand) be based on the idea that each individual state of the world (each individuated event that happens in the process, each time an electron moves ever so slightly etc) comes into existence completely independently of anything else be equally valid?

Frankly, because it makes a lot less sense than the idea that existence doesn't work this way. As a concept, it is valid in the sense that we can imagine it, but in reality it is a fairly crazy notion.
    The word phenomena means 'to appear' or anything that can be perceived as an occurrence or fact by the senses.
    Phenomena is the word that we apply to events in the observer-independent reality which we inhabit.
    According to Kant, time is not objective or 'a thing in themselves' but is a 'forms of human intuition, and can only be proved valid for things as they appear to us and not for things as they are in themselves'. (i.e. time is subjective).

Atomic clocks spring to mind, as does the time-dependent Schrodinger wave equation.

• Advertisement

Frankly, because it makes a lot less sense than the idea that existence doesn't work this way. As a concept, it is valid in the sense that we can imagine it, but in reality it is a fairly crazy notion.

But you're just (I assume) using the "self-evidence" of the fact that your perceptual processes work in susch a way as to cause you to believe in the notion of time to dismiss alternative theories. According to Barbour (Im not a mathematician so I cant verify it for myself...), due to the fundamentally different approaches to time in Einsteinean Relativity and quantum mechanics, the only way to make them cohere in a unified theory (some believe) is to lose the concept of time in just such a way. In which case the unified theory of everything (as physicists like to call it) would support something like the conception I posited above rather than the common sense notion of "time" as linear, flowing like a river etc.
    Phenomena is the word that we apply to events in the observer-independent reality which we inhabit.

Preceisely the point of the distinction between noumena and phenomena (in Kant, but the words were in existence before him) is that we cant ever know whether things as they appear to us are in fact applicable to objects/events as they are in themselves(in your observer-independent reality).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon
    Atomic clocks spring to mind, as does the time-dependent Schrodinger wave equation.

Watch the video TBH, he deals with different methods of measuring "time", its only 25 mins and if you disagree with it after watching it, we can have a more interesting discussion

I think phenomena is the opposite to what you say e.g. WIKI
    A phenomenon (from Greek phenomena) is any observable occurrence..... In scientific usage, a phenomenon is any event that is observable,..... Galileo Galilei's observations of the motion of a pendulum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Here's something to think about
    Maybe time is a type of energy??....With out time nothing changes,everything stays the same.....maybe time is the only energy??
    If you could stop time a falling apple would do nothing. It's mass,weight,gravitational force,speed would all be irrelevant .

del88 wrote: »
    Here's something to think about
    .With out time nothing changes

I would basically say the opposite.....without change, there is no time.... and by my reasoning, you are mixing up cause and effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Joycey wrote: »

Preceisely the point of the distinction between noumena and phenomena (in Kant, but the words were in existence before him) is that we cant ever know whether things as they appear to us are in fact applicable to objects/events as they are in themselves(in your observer-independent reality).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon

Watch the video TBH, he deals with different methods of measuring "time", its only 25 mins and if you disagree with it after watching it, we can have a more interesting discussion

Great that you have read Kant !

In any case, there are some issues with Barbour's idea - like how do you reconcile it with relativity, where there aren't any nows, just 3d surfaces in 4-d spacetime.

davej

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

I may be being dense but isn't Time that aspect of the universe that allows multiple objects to occupy the same point in space? (at different times of course - hence the need for Time :) ) Without it nothing would happen as all things would be fixed in place.

In any case, there are some issues with Barbour's idea - like how do you reconcile it with relativity, where there aren't any nows, just 3d surfaces in 4-d spacetime.

davej

Sorry for the late reply, ive only just seen this.

Well if you take as your definition of a "now" - a given unchanging arrangement of all the matter in the universe, then there are indeed "nows" in relativity. The snapshot metaphor captures the idea nicely IMO.

I think one of the main attractions to Barbour of his theory is that it makes relativity and quantum physics cohere, at least to some extent, by removing the idea of time from them at all, thus removing a central area of conflict between the two theories.
    I may be being dense but isn't Time that aspect of the universe that allows multiple objects to occupy the same point in space? (at different times of course - hence the need for Time ) Without it nothing would happen as all things would be fixed in place.

I like that idea, and undoubtedly this is what time is, however what you have done is simply expressed the truth that cohabitation of space is possible, you have not really explained anything in saying it.

I think you have mixed up cause and effect, like what Joe was saying above, in that rather than "without it nothing would happen as all things would be fixed in place", its more something like this "different arrangements of matter are observed to occur, hence a concept of time arises in us in order to comprehend this difference". Time is not an objective phenomenon which permits this difference, it is the apphrehension of this difference that leads us to believe in time.

davej

I think that is something that Barbour is working on at the moment apparently. I think that Niall Ó'Murchadha (a UCC lecturer is working on it too).

Barbour's website

Current Research Programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

The subject of time fascinates me. The human describes time for the most part in manmade measurements of years, days, hours, seconds. The fact that these are linked to the rotation of the Earth is immaterial. That is a measurement of convenience, nothing more. However, our perception of time would seem to be related to the heartbeat.

If you look at small animals with a short lifespan in human terms, take a mouse for example, they have a rapid heartbeat, and seem to scuttle along and perform their daily tasks with lightning speed. When a mouse runs across your path, his legs seem to work at an impossibly fast rate. To a mouse, the world probably appears much as it does to a human, and humans probably appear as huge, very slow, lumbering beasts.

Conversely, long lived animals with slow heartbeats, such as elephants and tortoises, probably perceive humans as scuttling around too fast, much as we perceive mice. Picture an old Buster Keaton movie reel played at fast speed, with the actors scuttling about everywhere much too fast.

Taking this into account, while it is very easy to think back to what the world was like a couple of years ago, and what we were doing at any given time in our lives, it is very hard for a human to perceive the vast timescales of prehistory. The dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. It is impossible for the human brain to quantify that in relation to our own puny lifespan.

On a universal scale, if there were a greater consciousness capable of it's consideration, then the billions of years of the Earth's formation and the evolution of life, would probably appear to happen unimaginably quicker than the human brain is capable of doing. A single lifespan, or even the whole history of humanity, would be no more than a bubble appearing in a test tube and popping almost immediately out of existence.

Conversely again, on the atomic level, there could be a whole universe of life and interaction happening in the time it takes a human to blink an eyelid.

We are constrained by an unwritten law, which would seem to allow us only to perceive whatever is within our heartbeat's ability to perceive, on a human scale. That which is eons greater, or ions smaller, is outside of that, and can only be related in mathematical equations, but not in terms of human perception or experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

HydeRoad wrote: »
    The subject of time fascinates me. The human describes time for the most part in manmade measurements of years, days, hours, seconds. The fact that these are linked to the rotation of the Earth is immaterial. That is a measurement of convenience, nothing more. However, our perception of time would seem to be related to the heartbeat.

If you look at small animals with a short lifespan in human terms, take a mouse for example, they have a rapid heartbeat, and seem to scuttle along and perform their daily tasks with lightning speed. When a mouse runs across your path, his legs seem to work at an impossibly fast rate. To a mouse, the world probably appears much as it does to a human, and humans probably appear as huge, very slow, lumbering beasts.

Conversely, long lived animals with slow heartbeats, such as elephants and tortoises, probably perceive humans as scuttling around too fast, much as we perceive mice. Picture an old Buster Keaton movie reel played at fast speed, with the actors scuttling about everywhere much too fast.

Taking this into account, while it is very easy to think back to what the world was like a couple of years ago, and what we were doing at any given time in our lives, it is very hard for a human to perceive the vast timescales of prehistory. The dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. It is impossible for the human brain to quantify that in relation to our own puny lifespan.

On a universal scale, if there were a greater consciousness capable of it's consideration, then the billions of years of the Earth's formation and the evolution of life, would probably appear to happen unimaginably quicker than the human brain is capable of doing. A single lifespan, or even the whole history of humanity, would be no more than a bubble appearing in a test tube and popping almost immediately out of existence.

Conversely again, on the atomic level, there could be a whole universe of life and interaction happening in the time it takes a human to blink an eyelid.

We are constrained by an unwritten law, which would seem to allow us only to perceive whatever is within our heartbeat's ability to perceive, on a human scale. That which is eons greater, or ions smaller, is outside of that, and can only be related in mathematical equations, but not in terms of human perception or experience.

It's true that in general animals with a fast heartbeat tend to have shorter lives and animals with a slower heartbeat have longer lives, but that's more down to the mechanics of how much beating a heart can actually do rather than any deeper relation to time itself. Your idea is a nice one though and what you say about perception is probably true.

Personally I think time is more of a pyschological construct than a real thing in and of itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement