Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fishing for beginners?

• 27-06-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Bringing the younglad fishing on a canal/river next week, but am at a loss of where to bring him. I have access to any type of fishing gear available and it has been about 25 years since i fished myself.:rolleyes: I live in Finglas and have transport. Can someone please tell me where there is a good place to go and what type of rod/bait etc to use?. Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Hi all. Bringing the younglad fishing on a canal/river next week, but am at a loss of where to bring him. I have access to any type of fishing gear available and it has been about 25 years since i fished myself.:rolleyes: I live in Finglas and have transport. Can someone please tell me where there is a good place to go and what type of rod/bait etc to use?. Thank you all in advance.
    canal in maynoth or around that area.I used to bring my kids there and it used to be great.I don't think the fishing so good now.I reckon that you will catch fish though.Who cares.You are out with the kids and you wil have a great day anyway .Get some maggots and worms and bread as bait.They always work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The canal at Kilcock still has pockets of coarse fish between the town and Enfield. as for gear an 8-10 foot coarse rod, a reel with 2-4lb line, a few wagglers(pencil floats) a box of split shot and size 16 or 18 hooks with a pint of mixed maggots and a bag of ground bait. simplest way to catch on canals.

The canal at Kilcock still has pockets of coarse fish between the town and Enfield. as for gear an 8-10 foot coarse rod, a reel with 2-4lb line, a few wagglers(pencil floats) a box of split shot and size 16 or 18 hooks with a pint of mixed maggots and a bag of ground bait. simplest way to catch on canals.

Thanks very much. Sorted now with that list. Brilliant
    Now, Off to catch a monster....................................;)

Thanks very much. Sorted now with that list. Brilliant
    Now, Off to catch a monster....................................;)

Tight lines. Let us know how you get

• Advertisement

Just a couple of more questions. If the canal is say 6ft deep. How deep do i want to have my hook at ? i.e distance between float and hook.?

And when using a spinner, do i need anything else on the line?

Hope these aren't stupid questions, but i want to start off properly.

Thanks all.

Just a couple of more questions. If the canal is say 6ft deep. How deep do i want to have my hook at ? i.e distance between float and hook.?

And when using a spinner, do i need anything else on the line?

Hope these aren't stupid questions, but i want to start off properly.

Thanks all.

the larger fish sit lower in the water near or on the bottom while the smaller fish compete for food around midwater to surface.
    You can plum the depth by using an oversized weight which will sink the float and keep adjusting the float until you can see the top of the float, then remove the weight and tie on your hook, this will mean your bait will be on or slightly off the bottom.
    You will probably catch more midwater but smaller fish than if you were fishing near the bottom, you also have a chance of a Tench or Carp if they are present in the area.
    As for spinners, you don't need anything else on the line.

Cheers BMB. Much appreciated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

when using a spinner, do i need anything else on the line?

A swivel about 3 ft from the lure will minimise entangling.

garancafan wrote: »
    A swivel about 3 ft from the lure will minimise entangling.
    Thanks garancafan;)

• Advertisement

The Tolka river is nearby us here and i was wondering if a permit is required? If so, can i get one online? And do you need a permit, no matter where you go on the Tolka? Thanks again all.;)

Ok. Went to Kilcock today with junior, armed with a new rod/line/worms/bread/ floats/weights/hooks and a spinner or two. We fished under the bridge (is this a good idea?) just on the way into the town from the motorway. Had a great 5 or 6 hrs but caught nothing. We could actually see the fish swimming clearly (they weren't that big at all. tiddlers). Had the hook measured to about 3/4 depth. They were biting all the time i was there,as my float kept going under and was tugged at all over the place. I was using worms (garden worms). My thoughts are that they were too big for the fish to take properly. Maybe next time i'll use chandlers?. Junior loved it as he watched the float go under every few minutes. Had a good day myself. All criticism welcome.
    Thanks;)

Ok. Went to Kilcock today with junior, armed with a new rod/line/worms/bread/ floats/weights/hooks and a spinner or two. We fished under the bridge (is this a good idea?) just on the way into the town from the motorway. Had a great 5 or 6 hrs but caught nothing. We could actually see the fish swimming clearly (they weren't that big at all. tiddlers). Had the hook measured to about 3/4 depth. They were biting all the time i was there,as my float kept going under and was tugged at all over the place. I was using worms (garden worms). My thoughts are that they were too big for the fish to take properly. Maybe next time i'll use chandlers?. Junior loved it as he watched the float go under every few minutes. Had a good day myself. All criticism welcome.
    Thanks;)

Glad to see you both enjoyed it.
    Ok, under bridges on canals probably would'nt be the best of spots.
    If you can see the fish then they can see you(most of the time)
    Worms are a great bait but there is a certain way to thread a worm onto a hook to avoid false bites and the fish sucking the worm which is not good for you. The reason you were getting bites and not fish is probably you were leaving a large amount of the worm dangling for the fish to bite at. maggots are the best option for canals and there is even a certain way to hook a maggot so it stays alive for longer in the water. loads of vids on Youtube.
    Link here is a link that may help. British canals are much the same as here with the same species apart from a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

with regards to the tolka, you do need a permit for the whole river. They can be bought from a few fishing tackle shops or the pet store in Finglas. Im pretty sure its 25 euro per permit, which to be honest is quite expensive for what the river is. Its a trout only river (perhaps more species, not sure) and the best fishing runs through tolka valley through Finglas ( which can get a bit rough at times which is what turns me off it) and out onto the old finglas rd where the royal oak used to be.

Thanks hamo and bmb for the replies. Will have a look on youtube etc for a few tips.
    Thanks again.;)

Advertisement