Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars 4-6, Star Wars 1-3 or Lord of the Rings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Jackson and crew took the world's most loved book and gave us a big screen adaptation I'd venture noone alive could have surpassed. It is as close to perfection as anyone could possibly have come. It was emotional to witness Tolkien and Lee's work honored so faithfully and with utter devotion by all involved in the production of those three pieces of cinematic history.

As much as I love Star Wars, this is a very easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Star Wars, has to be the most influential sci fi saga of all time, LOTR is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Star Wars was a rip off of Kirby's New Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

it seems the original star wars trilogy is beginning to reel in lord of the rings in the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Im only 30 so never got to see it in the cinema but I imagine finding out vader was Luke's father would have been the most unreal thing ever.

Also considering I have an imperial logo tattooed on me I better vote star wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Im only 30 so never got to see it in the cinema but I imagine finding out vader was Luke's father would have been the most unreal thing ever.

Probably something like this...

another vote for Episodes IV-VI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

LOTR has Christopher Lee, massive legend that he is!

All three LOTR films are also really consistent unlike Star Wars but nothing comes close to the power of the 'The Empire Strikes Back'...what a masterpiece!

...so for me its Star Wars all the way, the original trilogy not the recent rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

FlashD wrote: »
    LOTR has Christopher Lee, massive legend that he is!

All three LOTR films are also really consistent unlike Star Wars but nothing comes close to the power of the 'The Empire Strikes Back'...what a masterpiece!

...so for me its Star Wars all the way, the original trilogy not the recent rubbish.

He's in the new Star Wars movies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Star Wars 4-6. If I pretend that I had never seen either trilogy I would probably enjoy Star Wars more. Why? Because LOTR suffers from that typical modern Hollywood problem which afflicts so called great films, that is crap characterisation in favour of steaming through the plot. Apart from Gollum most of the characters were just forgettable and I didn't identify with them because they were too conventional. The only problem with Star Wars 4-6 is the Ewoks. Star Wars just inches past LOTR for me and its essentially because the Ewoks incur a -1000 penalty in my scoring system.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Star Wars 4-6. If I pretend that I had never seen either trilogy I would probably enjoy Star Wars more. Why? Because LOTR suffers from that typical modern Hollywood problem which afflicts so called great films, that is crap characterisation in favour of steaming through the plot. Apart from Gollum most of the characters were just forgettable and I didn't identify with them because they were too conventional. The only problem with Star Wars 4-6 is the Ewoks. Star Wars just inches past LOTR for me and its essentially because the Ewoks incur a -1000 penalty in my scoring system.

I'm confused, have you seen star wars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

what have ewoks ever done on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Draupnir wrote: »
    He's in the new Star Wars movies too.

:D That's true man, thanks for the reminder though I had to check.

I grew up with the original trilogy so i'm not that familiar with the recent ones, once was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

FlashD wrote: »
    :D That's true man, thanks for the reminder though I had to check.

I grew up with the original trilogy so i'm not that familiar with the recent ones, once was enough for me.

Not to worry, it can be easy to forget these things. Lee is involved in the only two worthwhile scenes in that trilogy though, fighting Tasmanian Yoda and in the captured Obi Wan scene in Attack of the Clones when the trilogy misses the opportunity to become outstanding and relapses into mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm confused, have you seen star wars?

um yeah, Hans Solo with his sarcastic wit, Princess Lea with her...bikini outfit, the superb relationship between Luke and Darth, Darth going from 1 dimensional uber powerful kick ass villain to tragic figure, Emperor Palpatine being so iconically evil, C3P0 being an unforgettable character due to his campness, Yoda, another iconic character etc. These characters are more interesting than Aragorn, the typical brooding hero, Legolas the boring elf, Arwen,the forgettable princess, Gandalf, the boring wiseman, Frodo and Sam, boring lovers, random hobbits that are somewhere the film, Pippin et al, Sauruman, the one dimensional villain. With the exception of Gollum and Eowyn who is criminally underused in the films, none of these characters are as distinctive, they don't make that incredibly strong impression that Star Wars characters do. For this reason Star Wars is better than LOTR.

In relation to Ewoks, do you remember those scenes where Palpatine was firing electricity bolts from his hands? Do you remember how it was epic and stirring? Do you remember how those scenes cut to fcking Ewoks! How a few seconds ago you were watching incredible drama on a galactic scale, the ultimate conflict between good and evil, and then you get teddy bears?!! I mean fcking teddy bears??? What?! What the ****?!! Arrraggghh!!!!! I fcking hate whoever decided it was a good idea to have them in a film because The Empire Strikes Back was too dark! Fcking idiots!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

um yeah, Hans Solo with his sarcastic wit, Princess Lea with her...bikini outfit, the superb relationship between Luke and Darth, Darth going from 1 dimensional uber powerful kick ass villain to tragic figure, Emperor Palpatine being so iconically evil, C3P0 being an unforgettable character due to his campness, Yoda, another iconic character etc. These characters are more interesting than Aragorn, the typical brooding hero, Legolas the boring elf, Arwen,the forgettable princess, Gandalf, the boring wiseman, Frodo and Sam, boring lovers, random hobbits that are somewhere the film, Pippin et al, Sauruman, the one dimensional villain. With the exception of Gollum and Eowyn who is criminally underused in the films, none of these characters are as distinctive, they don't make that incredibly strong impression that Star Wars characters do. For this reason Star Wars is better than LOTR.

In relation to Ewoks, do you remember those scenes where Palpatine was firing electricity bolts from his hands? Do you remember how it was epic and stirring? Do you remember how those scenes cut to fcking Ewoks! How a few seconds ago you were watching incredible drama on a galactic scale, the ultimate conflict between good and evil, and then you get teddy bears?!! I mean fcking teddy bears??? What?! What the ****?!! Arrraggghh!!!!! I fcking hate whoever decided it was a good idea to have them in a film because The Empire Strikes Back was too dark! Fcking idiots!!!

heck-no.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Lord of the Rings, and it isn't even close. As films they are simply better directed, more consistent and at times absolutely gorgeous, and not just because of the advancements in CGI in the intervening years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I voted for Star Lords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Am I the only person finding it hard to believe when posters are saying they haven't seen Star Wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

LOTR for me, feel bad picking one but i really love them films, so many trilogys down the years, why was it just star wars and LOTR, with not add in some matrixs, back to the futures, american pies, spidermans, x-mens, oceans, bournes, jurassic parks, and fridays:D

id say it must have been funny back when the first star wars was released and all the nerd fanboys playing around with there girlfriends with her being leah and him being luke, must have been some freaked out nered when they found out they were brother and sister:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I voted LOTR as a trilogy its better and more consistent, with 3 equally good films, all though I do agree the third one is the weakest. The problem with Star Wars is that Empire is so much better than the other two it almost deserves to be on its own and is also much better film than any single LOTR film. The only trilogies that compare to LOTR for consistency I think are the Man with no name Spaghetti Westerns and the Bourne Trilogy.

bullvine wrote: »
    I voted LOTR as a trilogy its better and more consistent, with 3 equally good films, all though I do agree the third one is the weakest. The problem with Star Wars is that Empire is so much better than the other two it almost deserves to be on its own and is also much better film than any single LOTR film. The only trilogies that compare to LOTR for consistency I think are the Man with no name Spaghetti Westerns and the Bourne Trilogy.

*cough* toystory *cough*

Hoping that we will be adding Nolan's 'Batman' to that 'consistant' list by the end of the year...fingers crossed! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

SW I-III, I'll park them but before I do I really don't think they are THAT bad, TPM had great music, the pod-race and duel of the fates scene, AOTC had some good action and although it's very short I really like the scene where Anakin is on a speeder bike to find mommy, ROTS is a good film in it's own right.

SW IV-VI, well Lucas wrote them all from scratch (copying bits and pieces here and there from other films, myths, religion etc) so deserves kudos for that. ANH simply changed cinema forever, TESB, thankfully I was old enough but young enough to have my world shattered via "I am your father" and no single moment in any movie since has been better, plus the AT-ATs on Hoth, ROTJ, well it's the weakest of the three IMHO because of those focking ewoks but the Luke/Vader scenes are priceless.
    SW IV-VI formed my youth.

LOTR, read the books multiple times in my youth so Jackson had a lot of his work already done for him in fairness. He could have fooked them up but gladly he didn't, I love all three movies, the music, the feeling, the detail, everything, hats off to him and I forgive some ommissions like Tom/scowering (sic?) of the shire. Unlike others I think TOTK was true to the book in both it's length and multiple endings.

Having watched both on BR over Christmas on the large screen it is quite apparant - and took me by surprise - that the special effects from LOTR has aged quicker than that of SW EP IV-VI, even though ANH was originally back to 1977.

So in many ways it's pretty hard to choose, LOTR for an excellent intrepertation and attention to detail or SW for being from scratch and a different time in my life.

SW IV-VI by a pip.
    Would be interesting to revisit in a few years with The Hobbit duology thrown into the mix.

^^ I think it was good idea to leave Tom Bombadil & the scowering out of the movies. Tom would not have fitted in with the tone of the films at all and the scowering just wouldn't work on screen full stop, it would nearly have needed another film in its own right to do properly plus it would have killed the pacing of ROTK. Lots of people thought it took too long to end as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

slave1 wrote: »
    Having watched both on BR over Christmas on the large screen it is quite apparant - and took me by surprise - that the special effects from LOTR has aged quicker than that of SW EP IV-VI, even though ANH was originally back to 1977.

Is that because CGI was used in LOTR but all model work in Star Wars? I too watched Star Wars on blu ray recently and was pleasantly surprised how well the effects held up, particularly Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah. I think the model work is a lot better than any CGI work. I guess it's like the old photographer thing of saying they don't work with digital. CGI was amazin at first.....BUT...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

All I can say is that it's a pity Twilight is 4 films because that would have been the best trilogy ever. . . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

All I can say is that it's a pity Twilight is 4 films because that would have been the best trilogy ever. . . :pac:
    ***banned***

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

LOTR's, probably my top 3 favorite films tho.

Advertisement